The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default Krieger on Cutler

What the heck, let's post it.

Quote:
Despite public assurances to the contrary from Dove Valley, it's looking more and more likely that the Broncos' melodrama with their starting quarterback will end badly.

Even if Cutler shows up for the offseason conditioning program Monday, it may be too little too late. Short of a complete Cutler mea culpa, which seems unlikely, this thing may have reached the point of no return.

Putting one of his area homes on the market may or may not even be relevant. I'm told his parents had been staying there while Cutler, when in town, spent most of his time at another place of his in LoDo.

More significant is Cutler's loss of his closest ally at Broncos headquarters. When he failed to return owner Pat Bowlen's phone calls in the midst of his standoff with new coach Josh McDaniels, I'm told Bowlen was apoplectic.

If McDaniels' refusal to come clean about shopping Cutler in trade talks was the eye-opener for the quarterback, Cutler's failure to return his phone calls may have done the trick for Bowlen.

Hardly noticed amid all the hubbub was that McDaniels signed free agent Chris Simms to a two-year, $6 million contract that could go considerably higher based on incentive clauses that will reward him for significant playing time.

Even without the incentives, that's a lot of money to pay someone to hold a clipboard, especially on a team with so many holes to fill and limited money with which to fill them.

You have to wonder why Simms, who bolted Tampa over the lack of opportunity to compete for the starting job, would sign so quickly with a team that gave him no chance to start, which would have been the presumption in Denver up until two weeks ago.

So I have to admit that my earlier assumption may have been dead wrong. I thought even a young coach as apparently sure of himself as McDaniels wouldn't be counting on Simms to start after throwing two NFL passes since 2006.

But assuming Sage Rosenfels wins the starting job in Minnesota, the only quarterbacks I know of making more than Simms to play backup are Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Alex Smith, all of whom signed contracts anticipating they would be starters.

Young and Leinart, Cutler's 2006 draft classmates, have since been supplanted by aging veterans who were supposed to be backups Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. It wouldn't make sense for McDaniels to knock down Cutler's trade value by following suit, but it does suggest that trading Cutler remains a real possibility.

The power of the Broncos to shape the thinking of their fans remains as strong as ever. Cutler had very few critics in these parts when Broncos management stood behind him. Now, less than three months after his main sponsor was fired, his critics are everywhere. Talk-show hosts who have never met him feel free to call him a baby on the air with no response from the Broncos. That kind of fissure is hard to repair.

It must have been quite a surprise for Cutler to learn he was just another employee, like you or me, and should act like one. Over the past three years, whenever he didn't comb his hair or wear a tie, someone was quick to point out he held the most high-profile job in Colorado, more prominent than even the governor's.

So which is it? Does he have a job that requires a commitment above and beyond the call, or is he just another working stiff?

True story: Last year, the Rev. Leon Kelly told kids in his Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives program he would have to cancel the summer session for lack of money. Cutler heard about it, wrote a check and the session was restored.

At Christmas, Kelly wanted to do something a little extra for the kids he's trying to keep out of gangs a party with food and favors. Cutler wrote another check, then showed up to sign autographs. His parents helped set up the tree.

Never said a word or put out a press release either time. In fact, he let teammate Brandon Marshall get the attention for helping Open Door Marshall gave most of his days off to the program last year rather than draw attention to himself.

In the wake of the gang-related murder of former Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, Kelly's was a cause close to the Broncos' hearts. This is what Cutler thought commitment meant. He thought the feeling was mutual. When McDaniels took over, he learned it wasn't. Grow up, he's told now. It's a business. Don't be a baby.

So now he knows. And if he's going, he's ready.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
More significant is Cutler's loss of his closest ally at Broncos headquarters. When he failed to return owner Pat Bowlen's phone calls in the midst of his standoff with new coach Josh McDaniels, I'm told Bowlen was apoplectic.
He was just really drunk!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Every NFL player knows that there is a community involved that has nothing to do with the business side of the game.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Well, I officially won't be the least bit surprised when/if he gets moved before or during the draft. I am a bit skeptical of counting on Chris Simms, however.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
He was just really drunk!
It was a gutless moment.....
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

I wonder if Bowlen is willing to sell Cutler on the cheap. It might be the owner who finally forces Jay out of town--that is, depending on how livid he still is and will continue to be.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Post Poll - Cutler-McDaniels
Settle it once and for all, Broncos Nation. Which side of the QB-coach spat do you fall on? Are you with Jay Cutler or Josh McDaniels?
Total Votes = 6539
Jay Cutler: The star. He'll lead the Broncos back to glory. No coach can do that.
68.32 %
Josh McDaniels: The boss. What he says, goes. Anything else is anarchy.
31.67 %
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Why do I have a feeling that we're going to draft Pat White on day two?
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Post Poll - Cutler-McDaniels
Settle it once and for all, Broncos Nation. Which side of the QB-coach spat do you fall on? Are you with Jay Cutler or Josh McDaniels?
Total Votes = 6539
Jay Cutler: The star. He'll lead the Broncos back to glory. No coach can do that.
68.32 %
Josh McDaniels: The boss. What he says, goes. Anything else is anarchy.
31.67 %
How old is that poll?

The most recent one we did here had about 2/3rds of the fans saying it was on Cutler to make this right, at this point.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Why do I have a feeling that we're going to draft Pat White on day two?
Nope, Nate Davis.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

That's basically how my opinion has gone Popps. Sided with Cutler initially, I think he was in the right to be concerned, but he has blown this out of proportion. Ultimately, the coach is in charge.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

best part of the article:

It must have been quite a surprise for Cutler to learn he was just another employee, like you or me, and should act like one. Over the past three years, whenever he didn't comb his hair or wear a tie, someone was quick to point out he held the most high-profile job in Colorado, more prominent than even the governor's.

So which is it? Does he have a job that requires a commitment above and beyond the call, or is he just another working stiff?

True story: Last year, the Rev. Leon Kelly told kids in his Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives program he would have to cancel the summer session for lack of money. Cutler heard about it, wrote a check and the session was restored.

At Christmas, Kelly wanted to do something a little extra for the kids he's trying to keep out of gangs a party with food and favors. Cutler wrote another check, then showed up to sign autographs. His parents helped set up the tree.

Never said a word or put out a press release either time. In fact, he let teammate Brandon Marshall get the attention for helping Open Door Marshall gave most of his days off to the program last year rather than draw attention to himself.

In the wake of the gang-related murder of former Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams, Kelly's was a cause close to the Broncos' hearts. This is what Cutler thought commitment meant. He thought the feeling was mutual. When McDaniels took over, he learned it wasn't. Grow up, he's told now. It's a business. Don't be a baby.

So now he knows. And if he's going, he's ready.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
How old is that poll?

The most recent one we did here had about 2/3rds of the fans saying it was on Cutler to make this right, at this point.

The newspaper polls, even recent ones, have fallen in favor of Cutler.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

There sure is a lot of inside info coming out given the fact that all reports say the media has been completely locked out.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Too bad they're wrong.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
How old is that poll?

Yea, but this is the Mane and everything is generally over dramatic here.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

It's simple, if you just look at the facts of football only and not innuendo. Players are paid to play. The contract doesn't say only when they are happy or when the coach is saying what they want to hear.

Coaches are paid to coach, sometime make trades and check into trades if it might be an advantage to winning. If he listens to the players... then it is total anarchy. Should he only coach some of the players? Should he say please to the player when calling the plays. How about when he calls a play the QB doesn't agree with. Should he back down and let the QB have his way. What if the player knows he is better than everyone else. Should the coach make him compete or just let the player do what the player wants?

No McD. is not the Broncos. However neither is Jay Cutler. If both do their job according to what the football job description is....... no matter how McD. said it. He was doing his job, and Cutler is not doing his.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
How about when he calls a play the QB doesn't agree with.

I saw that happen once with Harbaugh and Dikta. It didnt end well for Harbaugh.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Players are far more important than coaches--the exception being perhaps Bill Parcells.. SEE Jimmy Johnson.
Without the triplets= moderate success.
with them= Dynasty.

PAT's coaching tree:
Weis- He'll be fired after this year
Crennel-was fired
Mangini-was fired

See Dick LaBeau-
Excellent crop of players in PIT= historic defensive performances
HC in Cincy= mediocre

I'd rather fire McD, anoint Nolan as HC and keep Jay than trade Jay. I wanted Spags all along.......
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Too bad they're wrong.
I think that their is a fairly simple explanation as to why the fan's generally favor Cutler in this instance.

Jay has already made contirbutions to the Broncos. McD has not. Outside of his rookie year, Jay has yet to make Bronco's fans feel as though he was the reason we why we failed to make the playoffs the previous few years. Most fans generally classify players who pass for 4500 yards and 25 Tds as being productive players --IE not part of the problem. I am one of those. McD needs to back down....NOW.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Too bad they're wrong.

Wrong or not, the fan base is pretty well split on this issue, and will remain so until the team is winning. You've seen the level of dischord on this board. That's just a small taste of what's out there.

...and considering that this whole issue could have been nipped in the bud if McDaniels had the wisdom to make one simple phone call, I'd say there's plenty of "wrong" to go around.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I guess this forum isn't a good representation of the fans, then.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Wrong or not, the fan base is pretty well split on this issue
Funny.

A week ago you called me a "liar" because I simply stated that Cutler had, and was building on his reputation as a head-case around the league. (Causing conflict among fan opinion.)

Now you're informing us that fans are split on the issue.

Good stuff.

I wonder if next, you'll tell us that his actions are hurting his trade value?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
I guess this forum isn't a good representation of the fans, then.

It's hard to say which one is the better representation. The DPO probably sees a wider distribution, and likely reaches an audience that is less tuned into the minute by minute stuff that the fans around here are tuned into. I would guess that their poll is more "gut feeling" based, and less "I've read every angle, and got into discussion after discussion about this, and this is what I think..." Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Funny.

A week ago you called me a "liar" because I simply stated that Cutler had, and was building on his reputation as a head-case around the league. (Causing conflict among fan opinion.)
What's funny is how you twist the things that I call you on. What you just posted is untrue. What reputation as a head case around the league are you talking about?

Quote:
Now you're informing us that fans are split on the issue.

Actually, I've been saying this since the beginning, and even went further to demonstrate that this dischord has probably reached into the locker room.

Quote:
Good stuff.

I wonder if next, you'll tell us that his actions are hurting his trade value?
Oh, absolutely it's hurting his trade value. I've never once indicated differently. I'm not sure how you're manufacturing the idea that I think it's helping his trade value. But I'm sure that you're doing it.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-14-2009 at 12:52 PM..