The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Big Lions Trade Coming?

BIG LIONS TRADE COMING?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 10:21 a.m.
We always try to be careful when sharing rumors and not hard news.

This story is a rumor, not hard news. And the fact that it’s a rumor means that it might never come to fruition. But the fact that it’s a rumor currently making the rounds in NFL circles is 100 percent true.

Per a league source, there’s talk that the Detroit Lions are working on a significant trade. It’s not a done deal, and it might never be.

But it could become a done deal as soon as Monday.

The terms are not yet known, and the reality is that this story will prompt sports editors throughout the land to disrupt the Saturdays of their news gatherers with an assignment to find out what precisely might be going down.

And some of the news gatherers who prefer not to work on Saturdays will piss and moan about the fact that our rumor is now cutting into time that they’d otherwise be spending scrubbing the dog’s ass at their spouse’s request.

So to all such news gatherers we say, “You’re welcome.”'

Oh no! Might this be for Jay and their #1. Hopefully we get something else...like we swap first round picks, They get Jay. We get there 2nd this year and first next year.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

We could then get Curry. Let McD develop Simms, get DT in the 2nd. Then get a QB later for depth. If Simms doesn't show signs this year, we can get a QB first next year. And the 1st next year would be high too most likely.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
BIG LIONS TRADE COMING?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 10:21 a.m.
We always try to be careful when sharing rumors and not hard news.

This story is a rumor, not hard news. And the fact that it’s a rumor means that it might never come to fruition. But the fact that it’s a rumor currently making the rounds in NFL circles is 100 percent true.

Per a league source, there’s talk that the Detroit Lions are working on a significant trade. It’s not a done deal, and it might never be.

But it could become a done deal as soon as Monday.

The terms are not yet known, and the reality is that this story will prompt sports editors throughout the land to disrupt the Saturdays of their news gatherers with an assignment to find out what precisely might be going down.

And some of the news gatherers who prefer not to work on Saturdays will piss and moan about the fact that our rumor is now cutting into time that they’d otherwise be spending scrubbing the dog’s ass at their spouse’s request.

So to all such news gatherers we say, “You’re welcome.”'

Oh no! Might this be for Jay and their #1. Hopefully we get something else...like we swap first round picks, They get Jay. We get there 2nd this year and first next year.

Assuming you are talking about the #1 overall with them getting the #12 and we get their 2nd this year and a future 1... I'd do it!

I don't want to draft in that #1 spot. We don't need an OT, an OLB at #1 is nutz, and Stafford/Sanchez are not the answer.

But, #1, #33, and #48 (or so) and a #1 next year lines up pretty nice, IMO.

The key for me is the future pick. I am high on both McCoy and Bradford in next year's draft. Both are extremely accurate passers and both are not one year wonders. Very successful with sustained results, a lot better off than what you see in this draft. The only guy I'd think about this year is Sanchez and he still scares me b/c of the small amount of starts.

McD and the Broncos have screwed the pooch on Jay Cutler... better get something good for him and move forward. They can't afford to let this hang over their heads. McD is doing the right thing at this point, but he created this mess.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

Thread Killer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

courtesy of Mike Florio and profootballtalk

As it turns out, the Seahawks could be trading the back end of one big-money contract for another.
Amid rumors that the Detroit Lions are involved in significant trade talks, a league source tells us that the subject of the discussions is defensive tackle Cory Redding, and that the team to which he might be traded is the Seahawks.
Redding signed a seven-year, $49 million contract two years ago, while under the franchise player designation in Detroit. Per NFLPA records, he has five years and $25.6 million in base salary remaining on the deal.
The Seahawks reportedly will be cutting linebacker Julian Peterson, who in 2006 signed a seven-year, $54 million deal. The move will allow the Seahawks to avoid more than $30 million in salary obligations over the next four seasons.
Potential compensation to the Lions for Redding isn’t yet known. Seattle currently holds the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft, and it’s unlikely that the team would give up that much in order to land Redding.
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

If we had the #1 this year, we could trade back a few spots and still get a stud the likes of Crabtree, Orakapo, Raji, Cushing, or even possibly Curry. The FO is setting us up that we dont need one position anymore, so we could get the best available.

The other idea I had would be going after Boldin as a replacement to Marshall. We would have to give him an extension now for big money, but we would be doing the same for Marshall next year, plus Boldin doesn't have any strikes like Marshall does.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

All of this is just making me sick. If Cutler does get traded, I blame the front office for starting this mess and then I blame Cutler for finishing this mess. Both parties are at fault. Every NFL team searches for that elusive franchise quarterback, we have one and now we might trade him for picks? That makes zero sense to me. Thats just like when a team wants a new arena to play in to be more competitive and the voters turn it down, the second the team leaves the city, then the voters cry about not having a team anymore and then builds a new arena to get an expansion franchice or another established team to come there. Same situation we got going on here. Pull the trigger Mcdonalds and you will be sorry, I'm just sad Jay took it personal and couldn't get over it.

Last edited by long beach bronco; 03-14-2009 at 07:49 AM..
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If Jay gets traded to Detroit, he will be out of football in 4 years.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Just want to get a gauge of reaction here...

Lions get:
Jay Cutler

Broncos get:
2010 Conditional

How would you feel about McD if that was the trade?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I dont like it at all. I would want to swap #1 picks. Also what would the 2010 conditional be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post

Lions get:
Jay Cutler

Broncos get:
2010 Conditional

Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post

Lions get:
Jay Cutler

Broncos get:
2010 Conditional

I'd think he doesn't understand the value of a franchise QB.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
If we had the #1 this year, we could trade back a few spots and still get a stud the likes of Crabtree, Orakapo, Raji, Cushing, or even possibly Curry. The FO is setting us up that we dont need one position anymore, so we could get the best available.

The other idea I had would be going after Boldin as a replacement to Marshall. We would have to give him an extension now for big money, but we would be doing the same for Marshall next year, plus Boldin doesn't have any strikes like Marshall does.
you can't trade down like that. few teams want the #1 pick.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
you can't trade down like that. few teams want the #1 pick.
This is true. This year the #1 pick is a liability because there is no player worth the #1 money.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
If Jay gets traded to Detroit, he will be out of football in 4 years.
Or the Lions have their first franchise QB in over two decades...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
I'd think he doesn't understand the value of a franchise QB.
I would agree and if this goes through I will be very upset... but Cutler is being very vindictive here. He is essentially ruining his value b/c he is upset with the entire Broncos Front Office, including Pat Bowlen. Buss and Cutler are fine with the Broncos getting back next to nothing for him b/c they know they'll get paid either way. This isn't over by a long shot though. The Broncos still have a few cards up their sleeves! The highest card being their ability to be vindictive right back and sit Jay for the next two years. It does nothing for the Broncos, I realize that. But McD IS arrogant enough to do this and Bowlen is supporting him in these moves. I seriously hope that McD's on field coaching is as good as I think it will be b/c he has the potential to leave this team in a very short time... and the team could very well be without a franchise skill position player. Can you imagine two years from now, McD didn't work out and we managed to get rid of Scheffler, Cutler, Royal, and Marshall. The only strong (franchise type) piece we would have is Ryan Clady. Again, hopefully McD's X's and O's will be so great that they will name streets after him here in Denver... but I'm a worried fan at this point.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

If Jay truly wants out, exile him to Detroit. Detroit will suck again this year so take next years #1 and get Bradford or Tebow. The front office will lose all credibility by stating "Jay will not be traded" (I did not have sex with that woman!!).
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
If Jay truly wants out, exile him to Detroit. Detroit will suck again this year so take next years #1 and get Bradford or Tebow. The front office will lose all credibility by stating "Jay will not be traded" (I did not have sex with that woman!!).
Actually Cutler would do a lot for Detroit...they have excellent talent at wide receiver and can use a guy that can improvise...I seriously think he could make that a scary offense to deal with
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Will this guy make nice with jay?

baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

Give me there 1st and 2nd this year and there 2nd next. or there 1st this year and 1st next (20th pick, I dont want the #1 pick).
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
Actually Cutler would do a lot for Detroit...they have excellent talent at wide receiver and can use a guy that can improvise...I seriously think he could make that a scary offense to deal with
Good point but it would depend on Jay's attitude, would he be happy in Detroit or still mopey Jay? I just don't want to see him in the AFC and against us in the playoffs.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Did the Lions ever cut Foster? Because Jay's getting a ticket to concussion city anyways if he's dealt to Detroit, Foster would only make it worse.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

the trade is for redding to the Seahawks. This has nothing to do with Cutler
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Did the Lions ever cut Foster? Because Jay's getting a ticket to concussion city anyways if he's dealt to Detroit, Foster would only make it worse.
Yeah...George is gone
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Or the Lions have their first franchise QB in over two decades...
I can't recall a single "franchise QB" with a windup throwing motion like Jay's. Aaron Brooks was supposed to be the first, no Kerry Collins was supposed to be the first, or was it Scott Mitchell?

Now I guess Jay Cutler is supposed to be the first "franchise QB" with the slowest delivery in the NFL.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
db56
Seasoned Veteran

At this point in all this mess, trading Cutler might b ok, but they better get some serious compensation, I'm talking Herschel Walker type insanity.
I've enjoyed watching Jay since day 1 and under the right support I think he could develop into one of the greatest to ever play the game, but I just cant get over the additude that he is bigger than the team and the game and thats the impression I'm getting.
db56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #25
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Gooderus Childerus(sp) is a decent RT a marked improvement over Foster. Detroits line is no where near as bad as it used to be. still pretty bad but its getting better. They could go along way to fixing it this year to. by drafting Mack(33), and Smith(20)
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote