The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default NFL Network: Cutler was offended by McDaniels' coaching comments on Monday's call

Michael Lombardi reports that on Monday's conference call, Jay Cutler took coaching from Josh McDaniels as criticism which became a point of contention and bother from Cutler that has led to "part two of the ongoing saga."

Lombardi reports McDaniels went over in detail what Cutler needs to do to become a better player: cut down on turnovers, work within the offense, play within the framework of the offense and don't take too many chances - and apparently this didn't sit too well with Cutler.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f4043b

Last edited by montrose; 03-14-2009 at 09:03 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Speculation to feed the demon! Yaaaaayyyyyyy, just what this board needs!
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Hard to get offended on how to play QB from a guy who coached Brady and Cassel to success...
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

So, we're still following the Bus Cook pattern of keeping the story going into each news cycle.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Make it stop!!!
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
arghemtee
say "NO!" to tyranny

FIRE MCDIP****

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This comes out a week later?
arghemtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
Borks147
the dude abides...

if this is true, screw him.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
arghemtee
say "NO!" to tyranny

FIRE MCDIP****

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Even if it is true. It is like Phillip Rivers calling Jay Cutler and saying "Hey, You should probably turn the ball over less, play within your offense"
arghemtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghemtee View Post
Even if it is true. It is like Phillip Rivers calling Jay Cutler and saying "Hey, You should probably turn the ball over less, play within your offense"

er...not it isn't. McDaniels is his coach. Rivers, last time I looked, isn't. Coaching from the one is appropriate, from the other it is not.

If you need any other pointers on football basics let me know....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Surely Cutler isn't that pathetic?

If there's any truth in this, trade him for whatever we can get and move on from this.

I love his talent, but raw talent will only take you so far. If he can't take criticism from his own HC, there's something horribly wrong with him.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

This is the main issue that has concerned me, however. Namely that Cutler doesn't really want to play McDaniel's style of low-risk percentage passing, and that he's not on board with the whole ethos. If this is the case, I would rather we traded him, regardless of how talented he may be. McDaniels is the coach now, for better or worse adn we don't need anyone (particularly the QB) trying to undermine what he's trying to do.

If he turns up on Monday then we can all relax, as he's on board, for the time being at least. If not, the saga rolls on.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I will get toasted about this but I find it awesome that in a supposed make Jay feel better call McD was coaching!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I will get toasted about this but I find it awesome that in a supposed make Jay feel better call McD was coaching!
Hell yeah.

Dude is all about making the team better across the board, as fast as possible. Isn't that what we wanted in our new HC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghemtee View Post
This comes out a week later?
Yep, and crap like this will keep breaking up until the draft. Bus Cook can't work his magic if no one is talking about the "feud".
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

How. ****ing. Pathetic.

Is Jay Cutler uncoachable? If you can't listen to advice from your coach that is, basically, keep your mistakes down...

Trade his ass.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
This is the main issue that has concerned me, however. Namely that Cutler doesn't really want to play McDaniel's style of low-risk percentage passing, and that he's not on board with the whole ethos.
I could understand this if McD was trying to build a power running, strong defense type of team that asked Jay to just be a game manager and not turn the ball over.

But that's not the case at all.

Jay'll put up huge numbers in the offense, so what's the problem?

Maybe he just wants to do it his way, try and be the hero out winning the game by himself rather than being part of a team?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #16
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Michael Lombardi reports that on Monday's conference call, Jay Cutler took coaching from Josh McDaniels as criticism which became a point of contentment and bother from Cutler that has led to "part two of the ongoing saga."

Lombardi reports McDaniels went over in detail what Cutler needs to do to become a better player: cut down on turnovers, work within the offense, play within the framework of the offense and don't take too many chances - and apparently this didn't sit too well with Cutler.

Anyone who has watched Jay Cutler could not disagree with this. There is a line that you don't want to cross between a player like John Elway and Brett Favre. I personally believe Brett forced plays much too often to the detriment of the team. I think Elway crossed that line early in his career but learned to appropriately approach it as he got older, wiser.

I don't think it was out of line for McDaniels to say this to Jay, Given what had been going on in recent weeks, it should have been said later when the relationship had a chance to come together.

When you have the talent Jay does, you don't want to stifle the ability to create and make plays. That ability is what got Elway to three Superbowls early in his career.

Jay is not giving this situation a chance. If this report is true, Denver might be better served to maximize what they can get for him. I don't want to see this. Please Mr. Elway go talk to this young man.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
How. ****ing. Pathetic.

Is Jay Cutler uncoachable? If you can't listen to advice from your coach that is, basically, keep your mistakes down...

Trade his ass.
Jay I think has to be handled with kid gloves. He sounds like a "whyner", one of those guys that can't just say "Ok" or just keep his mouth shut, he has to object. One of those guys that are a real pain in the ass to have on a team, high-maintenance.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Anyone who has watched Jay Cutler could not disagree with this. There is a line that you don't want to cross between a player like John Elway and Brett Favre. I personally believe Brett forced plays much too often to the detriment of the team. I think Elway crossed that line early in his career but learned to appropriately approach it as he got older, wiser.

I don't think it was out of line for McDaniels to say this to Jay, Given what had been going on in recent weeks, it should have been said later when the relationship had a chance to come together.

When you have the talent Jay does, you don't want to stifle the ability to create and make plays. That ability is what got Elway to three Superbowls early in his career.

Jay is not giving this situation a chance. If this report is true, Denver might be better served to maximize what they can get for him. I don't want to see this. Please Mr. Elway go talk to this young man.
But thats just it. The team doesn't have time to wait for Jay to get comfortable. He needs to buy into it from day one that players report, so that EVERY other member of the roster can see Jay Cutler, the "franchise QB", put his preferences to be a gunslinger aside to help this team win football games.

There needs to be a culture change within the Broncos locker room. That has started with the changing of the HC and coaching staffs, and there is a reason why Dennison and Turner are still here other than being good football minds. They hold themselves and their respective units accountable. That is what McDaniels wants. Accountability and responsibility, even if you're just running routine practice plays in camp.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
colorado jones
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I cant wait to hear the armchair GM (POPPS) educate us about this newest development.....
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I would think that McD has been telling him this all along and that it never came up in the conference call. If it did come up in the conference call it was poor timing. Right now you're trying to get the little baby past the trade thing. You can work on all of those things mentioned during practice. I don't think this was said, I think it's Cutler bringing up something that has been ongoing that offended him. Personally, I'm glad that McD would try to rein him in a bit... but I also think that Jay has the ability to keep plays alive and make a few plays that most QBs can't make. What do you do? Take away the good with the bad? Or live with the bad b/c of the good? Tough call.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #21
Meck77

McD had a similar meeting with all the Broncos admin, staff, stadium crew etc a few weeks ago.

He basically covered his 5 core values and what is expected of everyone. He's probably going to do the same with the players. Cutler showing up is a separate story and I'd imagine he has a plan for the meeting whether "jaby" is there or not.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

People need to realize it might not been what was said, but how it was said. No one like to be attacked verbal or physical and tone of someone voice sometime as important as the words spoken.

McDaniels doesn't appear to be the best communicator at times.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
But thats just it. The team doesn't have time to wait for Jay to get comfortable. He needs to buy into it from day one that players report, so that EVERY other member of the roster can see Jay Cutler, the "franchise QB", put his preferences to be a gunslinger aside to help this team win football games.

There needs to be a culture change within the Broncos locker room. That has started with the changing of the HC and coaching staffs, and there is a reason why Dennison and Turner are still here other than being good football minds. They hold themselves and their respective units accountable. That is what McDaniels wants. Accountability and responsibility, even if you're just running routine practice plays in camp.
You are right. Jay does need to buy in from day 1. The point I was trying to make is that given the relational situation over the past month, the conference call should have been strictly airing out feelings, fence mending, clarity of intentions, etc. The good constructive criticism could have waited for another day. That is best done when trust is rebuilt. That wait should not have to take very long. When there is no trust, words attack and bring other meaning. We all react that way.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Michael Lombardi reports that on Monday's conference call, Jay Cutler took coaching from Josh McDaniels as criticism which became a point of contentment and bother from Cutler that has led to "part two of the ongoing saga."

I just don't believe that.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #25
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
People need to realize it might not been what was said, but how it was said. No one like to be attacked verbal or physical and tone of someone voice sometime as important as the words spoken.

McDaniels doesn't appear to be the best communicator at times.
I am suspecting some first year over exuberance on McDaniels part is fueling the fires. Hopefully this is something he will grow out of soon. It took Shanahan the failed Raiders HC job for him to settle down. McDaniels needs to rent the "Horse Whisperer".
baja is offline   Reply With Quote