The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Jenkins runs estimated 4.47 at pro day

Jenkins happy with Pro Day

Just to follow up on the diary we had in SN Today, Malcolm Jenkins ran between 4.47-4.52 in the 40-yard dash on scouts' stopwatches at Ohio State's Pro Day this morning.

Getting in the 4.4s was a goal of Jenkins, who ran a 4.55 at the combine.

Jenkins added that he felt good about the day overall, particularly in the position drills he went through.

One change from yesterday's update on Jenkins' impending private workout with the Broncos -- Denver's still first on the list, but their meeting with the Thorpe Award recipient will now likely be moved up to the middle of next week, rather than being held Friday.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/rea...y_with_pro_day
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

A different take:

Quote:
Ohio State star running back Chris “Beanie” Wells ran faster than expected at today’s Pro Day workout in Columbus, Ohio, turning in swift times between 4.34 and 4.46 seconds in front of 29 NFL teams, according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Afterward, Wells credited hard work late into the night for his progress on his start.

Per the article, Buckeyes standout cornerback Malcolm Jenkins’ time of 4.46 to 4.53 seconds wasn’t impressive. It was described as him running “poorly,” since Ohio State is considered to have an extremely fast surface.

Following the workout, Jenkins “seemed resigned that he’ll likely make the move to safety in the NFL,” Pauline reports.

Meanwhile, linebacker James Laurinitis ran times between 4.68 and 4.78 seconds as wide receiver Brian Robiskie ran a 4.47.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

LEEEEEEROYYYY JEENNNKINSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

That is a slow time considering the surface. Beanie Wells upped his combine time by nearly .2 of a second.

Jenkins seems more and more like a very fast FS.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Fast surface/slow surface- whatever- to me Jenkins is a flat out football player who is worthy of the #12 pick. I compare Jenkins to my Illini flava clown Vontae "I had to leave Illinois after 3 years because the coaching staff could not find anymore classes that I could POTENTIALLY pass" Davis" and although Vontae's measurables get one much more excited than Jenkins- Malcolm "in the middle between S/and CB" is instinctive, tough, and true football player.

In fact- I like all 3 Buckeyes- Jenkins, Wells, and the Animal's son....and would be fine w/any as Broncos.
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
A different take:
Hard to give that article much credence.

Brian Robiskie's 40 time was one one-thousandths of a second slower than his combine time. Kinda indicates that the surface is pretty comparable to the combine surface that everyone is bench marking these kids on.

I like how articles throw out "well thats a fast surface" without actually comparing the numbers across various surfaces. You want to talk about a fast surface? Wait for USC's pro-day, historically guys pick up full tenths of seconds from their combine numbers there. But hey, when Rey Rey puts up an "impressive" 4.65 I'm sure the bandwagon here won't think about that.

Its nice to see that Jenkins is getting his mind right about what he's best suited for in the NFL, a FS/nickel CB hybrid like Antrel Rolle who can solve a lot of match-up problems and create turnovers. I'd love to have him on these defense with the #12 pick.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Hard to give that article much credence.

Brian Robiskie's 40 time was one one-thousandths of a second slower than his combine time. Kinda indicates that the surface is pretty comparable to the combine surface that everyone is bench marking these kids on.

I like how articles throw out "well thats a fast surface" without actually comparing the numbers across various surfaces. You want to talk about a fast surface? Wait for USC's pro-day, historically guys pick up full tenths of seconds from their combine numbers there. But hey, when Rey Rey puts up an "impressive" 4.65 I'm sure the bandwagon here won't think about that.

Its nice to see that Jenkins is getting his mind right about what he's best suited for in the NFL, a FS/nickel CB hybrid like Antrel Rolle who can solve a lot of match-up problems and create turnovers. I'd love to have him on these defense with the #12 pick.
It was definetly a better surface for beanie dont you think. He ran a what 4.6 at the combine.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
This is certainly true, Jenkins is flat out a football player, he has a mind for the game and a passion and that is important. If you draft him he is going to play the big nickel position from day 1. He could be a guy who plays the nickel role but slides outside and then kicks a smaller faster guy into the slot as well.

His true value I still feel is going to be the ball hawking FS who can cover up on most wide recievers, can make the tackles at the line, can take on any tight end or running back in coverage and can read the play. Essentially in the Ed Reed mold. If you have a guy like this over the top, it makes it so much easier for the cornerback to take chances and you can bring a lot more zones underneath to make a play for the ball because Jenkins will have the **** covered deep.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I don't give a **** if he ran a 4.11. The dude can play football and that is what matters.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd be alright with Jenkins at #12. It's clear the Broncos need someone, anyone, who can make plays at really position on defense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
It was definetly a better surface for beanie dont you think. He ran a what 4.6 at the combine.
Sure, but what part of that is just Beanie running better?

Laurinaitis marginally improved, Jenkins and Robiskie both stayed about the same, and Wells improved significantly. There isn't any reason to call it fast.

The times aren't accurate because most of these are off of stop watches, not electronically timed like at the combine, so you have a pretty big variable thrown in the mix there.

All it says to me is Laurinaitis is clearly not the athlete he was hyped to be, Jenkins and Robiskie are in the low 4.4's to high 4.5's with Robiskie having a step on him, and Wells' has enough speed to hit a few home runs at HB. You can't make any real definitive statements other than that.

But I think Jenkins needs to move to FS in the pros anyhow. I think that from having seen him play, he plays like a FS. He'd be perfect in a role like what Antrel Rolle is doing now for AZ.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

i would take Jenkins any day of the week over Maualuga.

Wells deep speed is legit on the surface. Watch the guy plan ball and you'll see a guy that resembles Jamal Lewis on the field. Big back, GREAT speed. When you are outrunning Gators, Wolverines, and Tigers as Beanie did, a poor combine showing should be thrown out the window. Like Wells, Lewis also had a knack for being injured in college. You can't find a guy that size who can go 0-60 like he does though.

I think he's gonna be a good pro. HB's are devalued now though because RBBC most teams subscribe to, their short shelf life and 3rd, 4th round guys producing in a similar means.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

One of the main reasons the NFL is so fast is because guys get faster when they get into the NFL and NFL training programs. I expect Jenkins to be an all Pro, hes got IT, his situation reminds me of Antoine Caison last year going into the draft all the talent in the world but not measurable to show for it. He had a pretty good year in and out of San Diego's Defense, and I expect him to get a lot better.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #14
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I don't give a **** if he ran a 4.11. The dude can play football and that is what matters.
Exactly. Really, this is what the Big 4 from OSU essentially bring. Robiskie, Wells, Laurinaitis, and Jenkins are just solid all around football players. They all have holes in their games, but they are hard workers (can't speak for Wells) and intelligent sound FB players.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Did you see Beanie run at the combine? He was really fighting himself. I can see improvement in technique being partly why he improved. An article I posted said he worked with a coach on his starts after the combine. I think part of its the surface though too. In that article I mentioned, they estimate the track was good for a .1 improvement, which puts Jenkins i the 4.5s.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
i would take Jenkins any day of the week over Maualuga.

Wells deep speed is legit on the surface. Watch the guy plan ball and you'll see a guy that resembles Jamal Lewis on the field. Big back, GREAT speed. When you are outrunning Gators, Wolverines, and Tigers as Beanie did, a poor combine showing should be thrown out the window. Like Wells, Lewis also had a knack for being injured in college. You can't find a guy that size who can go 0-60 like he does though.

I think he's gonna be a good pro. HB's are devalued now though because RBBC most teams subscribe to, their short shelf life and 3rd, 4th round guys producing in a similar means.
I also like Wells. Its not just his speed but he has really good feet and vision and can slip a tackle to spring him loose. Good pad level, great stiff arm...whats not to like.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #17
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Talk about improving your 40. Maybin runs a 4.59 40 at his pro day.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
Talk about improving your 40. Maybin runs a 4.59 40 at his pro day.
he had added almost 20 lbs before the combine just like moreno it takes time he must have adjusted to the weight gain he was 235 in the rose bowl......252 now

what i dont like about maybin is that he currently weighs 252 but has trouble keeping weight so after a 16 game pro season i see him right back at 235-240range.

i see his first couple pro years as a 3rd down pass rusher.....

Last edited by ELEVATION; 03-20-2009 at 06:28 AM..
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #19
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVATION View Post
he had added almost 20 lbs before the combine just like moreno it took him some time he was 235 in the rose bowl......
Yeah, you are on to something here. I wouldn't know, I have never endured substantial weight gain like that.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Yeah, you are on to something here. I wouldn't know, I have never endured substantial weight gain like that.

lol....in high school after a shoulder injury i got back in the gym and gained 15 lbs i went from 185 to 200, but my speed suffered for about 4-5 weeks till i adjusted to it.....its something many many many people overlook at times.....

its why i didnt buy the hype that wells or morneo's stock dropepd. Wells simply being able to run a 4.5 at 230 lbs is great, and moreno ran slow but he also added 17 lbs making him much more durable.....but he has to get used to running with 17 lbs of more weight......lol
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Exactly. Really, this is what the Big 4 from OSU essentially bring. Robiskie, Wells, Laurinaitis, and Jenkins are just solid all around football players. They all have holes in their games, but they are hard workers (can't speak for Wells) and intelligent sound FB players.
I agree to an extent. I think they all bring somethng to the table, except for Mr glass. Hes got bust written all over him .
Laurinitus will be a solid WILL, and Jenkins who i have said for months now is one of the most complete players in this draft, will be a solid FS/Nickel CB. He'll need the right team though. Cant justify taking any of those players at #12 except Jenkins though. Just too many needs at other positions on DEN.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I agree to an extent. I think they all bring somethng to the table, except for Mr glass. Hes got bust written all over him .
Laurinitus will be a solid WILL, and Jenkins who i have said for months now is one of the most complete players in this draft, will be a solid FS/Nickel CB. He'll need the right team though. Cant justify taking any of those players at #12 except Jenkins though. Just too many needs at other positions on DEN.
I understand the perception that Wells is injury prone, but kid is a gamer. He didn't miss a single game his sophmore year with his injuries and wouldn't have missed many games last season if not for Tressel. Beanie wanted to play in the USC game, but Tress wouldn't let him. I think he took an additional week off, but they didn't need him since they were player a weak opponent. I don't know if you are endorsing Cushing or not, but many on here are. That guy is of great concern. He has had a much more extensive injury history.

Beanie:
As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior The concussion happened in the late 3rd quarter against Texas. Hardly worth mentioning. Now the hammy is of concern, if he doesn't warm up well enough, he could continually have problems at his size.

Cushing:
Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I understand the perception that Wells is injury prone, but kid is a gamer. He didn't miss a single game his sophmore year with his injuries and wouldn't have missed many games last season if not for Tressel. Beanie wanted to play in the USC game, but Tress wouldn't let him. I think he took an additional week off, but they didn't need him since they were player a weak opponent. I don't know if you are endorsing Cushing or not, but many on here are. That guy is of great concern. He has had a much more extensive injury history.

Beanie:
As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior The concussion happened in the late 3rd quarter against Texas. Hardly worth mentioning. Now the hammy is of concern, if he doesn't warm up well enough, he could continually have problems at his size.

Cushing:
Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games.
Your lame attempt to compare MrGlass to Cushing is really showing your inferiority complex. Sorta like Tressel with his playbook.
MrGlass has concussion issues now as well. And they are worth mentioning. That was HUGE, and the reason they LOST to TEX!!!He plays well, for a half a game, then hes spends the rest of the game MIA. Not good for a NFL RB. Especially one who expects to be taken in the 1st round, and have a team spend all kinds of $$$ on him. His injuries have only increased in frequency where Cushing's have decreased and last year was proof of that. Plus your comparing apples to oranges with DEN needs. DEN doesnt need a injury prone RB, (they already have what, 6!?!?! L!OL!) They do however NEED a LB that can play SAM or MIKE and is a field general.
I have stated since the beginning that i would love to see Jenkins in DEN simply because hes the one of the most polished players that is ready for the NFL. And that if DEN took him at #12 it would be great. Ask Drek, he can attest to this. I like Jenkins, and think he has the moxy to play as a rookie even!

Last edited by socalorado; 03-20-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Beanie:
As a sophomore he battled an ankle injury and a broken left wrist, which eventually required surgery...Missed time with toe and hamstring injuries and a concussion as a junior The concussion happened in the late 3rd quarter against Texas. Hardly worth mentioning. Now the hammy is of concern, if he doesn't warm up well enough, he could continually have problems at his size

Cushing:
Also, where did you get this info on Cushing? Could you post a link for that? Very interesting info there that doesnt seem to add up. Huh.

EDIT: Nevermind i found it. That bio is misleading.

Notes:
Could project inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme...Was a highly-regarded recruit coming out of high school...Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games.

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2005 8 23 0.5 0.0 3 0
2006 13 57 13.5 4.5 1 0
2007 10 25 2.5 1.0 2 0
2008 13 73 10.5 3.0 6 1
Totals 44 178 27.0 8.5 12 1

Note he didnt start every game in 2006, but he played in EVERY game.
He missed 3 games in 2007, with a ankle sprain, and he didnt miss a game last year.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...an-Cushing.php

Last edited by socalorado; 03-20-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Your lame attempt to compare MrGlass to Cushing is really showing your inferiority complex. Sorta like Tressel with his playbook.
MrGlass has concussion issues now as well. And they are worth mentioning. That was HUGE, and the reason they LOST to TEX!!!He plays well, for a half a game, then hes spends the rest of the game MIA. Not good for a NFL RB. Especially one who expects to be taken in the 1st round, and have a team spend all kinds of $$$ on him. His injuries have only increased in frequency where Cushing's have decreased and last year was proof of that. Plus your comparing apples to oranges with DEN needs. DEN doesnt need a injury prone RB, (they already have what, 6!?!?! L!OL!) They do however NEED a LB that can play SAM or MIKE and is a field general.
I have stated since the beginning that i would love to see Jenkins in DEN simply because hes the one of the most polished players that is ready for the NFL. And that if DEN took him at #12 it would be great. Ask Drek, he can attest to this. I like Jenkins, and think he has the moxy to play as a rookie even!

...wow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: