The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Carucci: If Cutler keeps it up, McDaniels might give him something to cry about

If Cutler keeps it up, McDaniels might give him something to cry about
By Vic Carucci, Senior Columnist, NFL.com

Some people have tried to characterize the friction between Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler as a battle of wills.

That's being way too generous -- to Cutler.

Cutler can threaten to stay away from the Denver Broncos' non-mandatory offseason conditioning program, which begins Monday. He can even skip their first mandatory minicamp, which begins April 17.

While he's at it, he can hold his breath and stomp his feet, too.

According to multiple NFL sources with knowledge of the situation, no amount of protesting is going to make McDaniels regret his decision to attempt to trade Cutler two weeks ago as part of a deal that would have brought Matt Cassel -- whom McDaniels helped mold into a highly-effective starter last season when they were with the New England Patriots -- to Denver.

Nor, the sources say, will it prompt the Broncos' new coach to seek to patch things up with Cutler, who is still smoldering about being the subject of trade talk.

"You will not see (McDaniels) flinch," one league source said. "I guarantee you this: He's in control of that situation. If this is a story about who is running that team, the last person in the world I'm going to alienate is a new coach in the first year of a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal.

"Last year, as an offensive coordinator in New England, he lost maybe the greatest quarterback in football (Tom Brady, to a season-ending knee injury). Then he turned a backup who hadn't started a game since high school into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Josh is not frightened to go to the bench, if he has to."

There have been varying reports about what was supposed to have been a clear-the-air conference call earlier in the week between Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, and the Broncos hierarchy of owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis, general manager Brian Xanders and McDaniels. One source said, as far as the Broncos were concerned, the call went well because they were satisfied they had established to Cutler and his agent that he was no longer on the trading block. They pointed out the potential trade with the Patriots was something they did not seek; it came to them. And after Cassel was shipped to Kansas City, any trade discussion involving Cutler was over.

Still, the source said, the Broncos made no promise to Cutler that he was untradeable, which is why the three-year veteran didn't necessarily share the Broncos' opinion about the success of the call.

According to the source, although Cutler could very well be the Broncos' quarterback in 2009, he should not plan on getting such a commitment because McDaniels has no intention of giving it to him.

A Cutler trade could very well happen between now and April's draft, the source said. One league insider said to keep an eye on the Detroit Lions, who are looking to deal the top overall pick (where quarterback Georgia's Matthew Stafford could be selected). Another said to keep an eye on the Cleveland Browns, because they might very well be interested in a deal that would involve swapping Brady Quinn for Cutler. Like Cassel, Quinn is well-schooled in McDaniels' offense. He ran it while playing at Notre Dame for Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels succeeded as offensive coordinator of the Patriots.

Cutler won't be doing himself any favors if he allows his anger to get in the way of fully preparing to continue as the Broncos' starting quarterback. For one thing, it won't help his relationship with McDaniels. For another, if he skips offseason work, he will severely damage his ability to learn a new offensive scheme that is far different from the one he has known since joining the Broncos as a first-round draft pick in 2006.

The fact Bowlen had no problem parting ways with his previous coach, Mike Shanahan, should have been Cutler's first clue that he does not wield nearly as much power as he might think he does. Cutler, who became a prolific Pro Bowl passer under Shanahan, made it known that he didn't agree with the firing. Still, Bowlen wanted Shanahan out so much that he was willing to eat the remaining $20 million of his contract.

"If you can fire a Mike Shanahan, you can trade a kid like that," an NFL source said. "Everyone is disposable in this league. And (Cutler's) a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. He's had some great statistics, but he hasn't won a thing yet.

"It's well known that Cutler is a highly sensitized person, but what are we really talking about here? A guy's feelings got hurt? In my mind, this is so much ado about nothing. The smartest thing Cutler can do is just shut up."

Wyche: Cutler needs to deal
Here's what NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche had to say about the Cutler-McDaniels situation in his weekly NFL.com chat:

"This is a very interesting situation because the reports of where things stand between Cutler and the Broncos are so different that things actually might be closer to the middle. Though this has been handled a tad too publicly, Cutler has to realize that teams call about trades for players all the time. Trust me, even before this season, teams called about L.T. I'm sure teams have called the Cowboys about DeMarcus Ware. Though sometimes those queries are met with a " Good one," they're often greeted with, "What would you give us in return?"

Players come up in trades all the time. While Cutler's feelings are hurt, he is going to have to swallow hard and show up and do what he is getting paid to do. If he takes a hard stand with this, people are going to take sides and some of his followers might turn on him.

I think, some way, this will be settled, but this is not a pretty picture right now. I don't think this will end in a trade because dealing a franchise QB is not in a team's best interest, regardless of the relationship status with the coach."
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i just dont understand why people are so pissed about mcdaniels listening to a trade. he said exactly that, "what do we get in return"

it seemed like a good deal, didnt work out, and here we are where we began, its not such a big deal that everyone needs to call for mcdaniels head.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i just dont understand why people are so pissed about mcdaniels listening to a trade. he said exactly that, "what do we get in return"

it seemed like a good deal, didnt work out, and here we are where we began, its not such a big deal that everyone needs to call for mcdaniels head.
Amen. And it's certainly not so big a deal that Cutler can justify STILL being upset about it. he wasn't traded. That's really the end of the story.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

wow,,, long article, worth reading because it keeps the hope alive for shaun rogers and Brady Quinn, in exchange for Cutlers whiny ass. DOn't get me wrong, I think we're in a win win if we keep him or trade him for someone valuable. We got a great back-up in Simms to rely on just in-case
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
wow,,, long article, worth reading because it keeps the hope alive for shaun rogers and Brady Quinn, in exchange for Cutlers whiny ass. DOn't get me wrong, I think we're in a win win if we keep him or trade him for someone valuable. We got a great back-up in Simms to rely on just in-case
quinn + rodgers would be SICK...id make that trade in a heartbeat. i think cutler has done more damage to this team than mcdaniels at this point.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well this won't cause a meltdown or anything on this site!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Amen. And it's certainly not so big a deal that Cutler can justify STILL being upset about it. he wasn't traded. That's really the end of the story.
My understanding is that Cutler's public stance isn't that he's upset about the trade talks but that he was lied to. We can find examples that counteract that stance (the initial report by Schefter that broke the story, his comparing himself to the Mannings and Rivers, Peter King's report he wanted traded before the story broke, etc.).

Also, we have no clarification if Jay was actually lied to unless we want to take credibility in ESPN's questionable reporting. Otherwise, no credible outlet has reported that the Broncos actively tried moving Cutler. The team's official stance has never changed on the matter and McDaniels told Daniel Graham to his face that other teams came to them. Certainly Jay could be right that the Broncos did instigate the talks, but that means McDaniels not only lied to him but Graham as well (who CBS4 reported was close with McDaniels from their NE days) - not to mention the entire organization publicly lying to their fan base. Regardless of Jay's actions, if this were true (which I personally don't believe is) than that's really bad on McDaniels. Especially for lying to Graham, a team captain.

Jay's certainly dug his heels in, right or wrong. My guess is he'll show up and while I doubt he ever trusts McDaniels, they'll at least make it through the season together. But if he holds out, I'm sure Cleveland, Detroit or Tampa could make some type of offer that would entice the Broncos.

Last edited by montrose; 03-13-2009 at 12:06 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Wow, another thread about Jay and McDip****. Woohoo!
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

With all the talk of McDaniels' age, who appears to be the adult? While Cutler has been a great find, his national reputation is starting to devolve into TO and Cinco Ono territory...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

People who wonder if Cutler is hurting his value needn't look any farther than the repeated appearance of articles like this.

Again, no matter who was right or wrong on the front end, Cutler is ****ing this up royally on the back end. We'll see on Monday. That'll will give us our answer as to just how far he wants to take this.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

"Last year, as an offensive coordinator in New England, he lost maybe the greatest quarterback in football (Tom Brady, to a season-ending knee injury). Then he turned a backup who hadn't started a game since high school into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Josh is not frightened to go to the bench, if he has to."'

But, people on the internets told me he's just a douche-bag idiot.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Wow, another thread about Jay and McDip****. Woohoo!
This one is the most worthwhile read out of all of them IMO

it reflects that Jay is not doing himself any favors with public opinion...and credible opinions at that
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

A: Many fans resent McDaniels, sadly, just for the fact that he replaced Shanny.

B: Some fans fall in love with a player and feel that player is bigger than the team.

C: Those same people love that player becuase he reminds them of a past great player that was the team.

Basically thos fans that were/are loyal to Shanny will be against McDaniels on any move he makes. I mean just look at the long snapper deal. People were pissed that a long snapper was replaced...a long snapper... Not to mention the new long snapper isn't a stiff.

Broncos-land still remians divided. You have the ones that still hold on to Shanny years, hate McDaniels,want him to fail and can't wait for a loss to start ranting. Then there are fan's that are embracing the change and looking forward to the 09 season and hopefull that the team can return to being a winner.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Cutler is ****ing this up royally on the back end. We'll see on Monday. That'll will give us our answer as to just how far he wants to take this.
How do we know that? Since this supposed conference call, we have heard nothing from Cutler, his agent, or any reliable sources like Schefter. All we have heard is the reporting by suspect at best reporters via supposed sources that Jay is unhappy. I don't put much stock into that, and obviously you shouldn't either.

For all we know, everyone is happy with the conference call and it'll be back to business as usual on Monday.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
A: Many fans resent McDaniels, sadly, just for the fact that he replaced Shanny.

B: Some fans fall in love with a player and feel that player is bigger than the team.

C: Those same people love that player becuase he reminds them of a past great player that was the team.

Basically thos fans that were/are loyal to Shanny will be against McDaniels on any move he makes. I mean just look at the long snapper deal. People were pissed that a long snapper was replaced...a long snapper... Not to mention the new long snapper isn't a stiff.

Broncos-land still remians divided. You have the ones that still hold on to Shanny years, hate McDaniels,want him to fail and can't wait for a loss to start ranting. Then there are fan's that are embracing the change and looking forward to the 09 season and hopefull that the team can return to being a winner.
I agree with this except the long snapper thing. I didn't like that move because it was expensive and it didn't address a need. If he wanted to change the attitude of the locker room, there were other ways and Mike Leach was not an element that needed removing.

That said, I think when you said that McDaniels was going to get ripped no matter what he did, you were right. People that were against the Shanahan firing were definitely going to sit and wait for the first bad move and then tear him a new one. If it wasn't this, it would be the free agents we've picked up, the draft, etc. How many times have we read "all he's done is sign a long snapper and has-been safety!". I would also add there is a group that dislike him purely because he's a Patriot. This is because they think a) all Patriot's are cheaters b) Patriots assistants typically fail in their head coaching debuts or c) both.

I think that this distrust and anger over Shanahan leaving made a McDaniels the bad guy the moment he stepped to the podium.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post

I would also add that there is a strong anti-Patriots sentiment on this board. Anybody connected with the "evil cheaters" will have to prove himself from the very start. That's why I look forward to the beginning of this season probably more than any other year I've been watching football...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Well this won't cause a meltdown or anything on this site!
I'd take a deal to the Browns for Quinn and Rogers and a pick. I think that pick "could" be as high as a first (future). It could also be a 2nd this year and a future.

Not sure that I agree that McD's offense is the same as Weiss', but I'm sure there are some similarities including the nomenclature. Truth be told, I think Quinn has the ability to be every bit as good as Cutler and perhaps better in the right system.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
backup qb
Ring of Famer

How could anyone be excited about possibly acquiring Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers? Quinn has played well in one game in his entire career. Would I take Rogers? Sure, but not for Cutler. Quinn will be an average QB in this league.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I don't know, while many now think I have always been negative about Cutler I still think he has the potential to be one of the greats. I would rather have Cutler but if things can't be repaired I think its worth a shot.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Cutler doesn't have a leg to stand on with all this griping, and the trouble is that everyone other than Cutler himself can clearly see that.

If he doesn't show up on Monday he'll be losing the respect of a lot of people, and people who matter, not just OMers.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Kaylore & Crushaholic both add a key issue with some fans. They won't accept an outsider coming in and changing things. Some fan's wanted Bates as coach, other would accept Kubes.

Any outsiders would be looked down apon. Being a former Patriot just increased the hate x10.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
How could anyone be excited about possibly acquiring Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers? Quinn has played well in one game in his entire career. Would I take Rogers? Sure, but not for Cutler. Quinn will be an average QB in this league.
If Cutler is traded for Quinn, even I will be tempted to join the "Fire McDaniels" bandwagon. Quinn appeared to be a whiny twit as he waited for someone...ANYONE...to take him in the draft...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
Well, Brady and Cassel are both average QBs by a measure of skill, and McDaniels has done pretty well with those guys.

Also, if Cutler doesn't show up on Monday, IMO he'll have proven that he doesn't have what it takes to be one of the greats in this league.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
If Cutler is traded for Quinn, even I will be tempted to join the "Fire McDaniels" bandwagon. Quinn appeared to be a whiny twit as he waited for someone...ANYONE...to take him in the draft...

Nahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote