The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Default Josh McDaniels made trash look like gold--fact

For those who say Matt Cassel is trash, you have a terrible problem. The problem is this: if Cassel is trash, that means McDaniels is a freakin genius. There are no two ways about it. If Cassel is trash, then McDaniels took trash and made him an above average player for a year and helped his team team to an 11-5 record. And lest you say, "oh, well, he had Moss and Welker etc", sorry, you still lose. Moss was considered pure trash after his final season with Oakland before McD got hold of him. Welker had one REC TD in his career before McD got hold of him. Plus, Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Scheffler ain't much worse than what NE had.

Sorry, haters, but there is no way around it. Either Cassel is a fine Qb and McDaniels gets no credit, or he's trash and McD gets MASSIVE credit for making trash look respectable.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

There should be little doubt that McDaniels did a fine job with Cassel. Are there really people who are saying differently?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Oh, there are, Taco. Some call Cassel pure trash while simultaneously calling for McDs job. Look if you don't believe me. It's all over the board.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

But didnt we need a durable RB and adequate defense?

Didn't we allready have the #2 offense despite no running game, especially late?

Wasn't the plan to fix the defense?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
But didnt we need a durable RB and adequate defense?

Didn't we allready have the #2 offense despite no running game, especially late?

Wasn't the plan to fix the defense?
Actually, no, we didn't have the #2 offense. Our offense was #16--i.e. medicore--in scoring, which is the stat that matters.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It is sort of funny that some of the argument around here seems to be that McDaniels is a buffoon, AND ALSO... Cassel is a back-up quality player.

Well, which is it?

If you watched the Patriots this year after Cassel took over, they were incredibly effective. They should have been in the playoffs, obviously.

I'm excited about this new regime. Sue me.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

We could also say that we were #2 in yards because our defense was so bad, that they didn't stay on the field long enough holding the other team. So the offense had more chances to put up even more yards. But yards mean dick if you aren't matching it with points.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
anon
Seasoned Veteran

If we traded Cutler for #1, #20, and Cassel, we would have a decent QB with a coach who knows how to best use his abilities, our awesome O-line, our running game intact (coaches and personnel retained), and our solid receivers. And we would have had 2 first round draft picks to address our numerous holes on defense. How is that so terrible?

And I don't see anybody saying that Cutler is not a good player. He has lots of potential, all the physical tools, but needs to work on his poise and turnovers (probably related). I'm happy that he's (hopefully) still here, but if the trade described above had happened, I would have been surprised but still excited.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
extralife
Ring of Famer

This is not a very logical argument. Just to be a dick.

Cassel is probably a mediocre player that was put in a position to excel, coached well, and put up slightly above mediocre stats.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Getting a bunch of picks and Cassel was an interesting chance and I'm not surprised Mcdaniels looked at it. At this point I don't see any chance Cutler get's traded.

I do think Mcdaniels is going to field a good offense with adept play calling.

Defense, well , we will see.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

The McD fanbois should realize that Cassel had 10 other guys on the field with him. And a not-30th-ranked defense....

McD is an above-average OC. This does not mean he'll be an above-average HC (see: Norv Turner)
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
arghemtee
say "NO!" to tyranny

FIRE MCDIP****

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It is sort of funny that some of the argument around here seems to be that McDaniels is a buffoon, AND ALSO... Cassel is a back-up quality player.

Well, which is it?

If you watched the Patriots this year after Cassel took over, they were incredibly effective. They should have been in the playoffs, obviously.

I'm excited about this new regime. Sue me.
Wrong. I don't believe anyone is questioning his ability to coach at the OC level (maybe HC), but we're questioning his decision-making in player personnel.
arghemtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
This is not a very logical argument. Just to be a dick.

Cassel is probably a mediocre player that was put in a position to excel, coached well, and put up slightly above mediocre stats.
So then Cutler's stats were slightly above mediocre as well because Cassel matched him stat for stat last season aside from yardage because Denver threw the ball far more and that with Matt ending on his ass 47 times via sack compared to Cutler's 11.

Do you see much comparison with the offensive lines in this either

Cassel 516-327-3693-21-11 89.4 QB rating sacked 47 times
Cutler 616-384-4526-25-18 86.0 QB rating sacked 11 times
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

You can only hope to contain me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
So then Cutler's stats were slightly above mediocre as well because Cassel matched him stat for stat last season aside from yardage because Denver threw the ball far more and that with Matt ending on his ass 47 times via sack compared to Cutler's 11.

Do you see much comparison with the offensive lines in this either

Cassel 516-327-3693-21-11 89.4 QB rating sacked 47 times
Cutler 616-384-4526-25-18 86.0 QB rating sacked 11 times
Plus Cassel isn't a head case/locker room cancer.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Yeah I don't think anyone is debating whether McDaniels was a good offensive coordinator/QB coach or not. This just makes me more depressed that JC and McD aren't on the same page because I would love to see what McDaniels could do with Cutler and his freakish raw athleticism.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #16
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Not so Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Plus Cassel isn't a head case/locker room cancer.

I've always loved the quality of your posts. No really, you're a real gem....
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #17
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
I've always loved the quality of your posts. No really, you're a real gem....

I'm willing to debate the issue if you feel something I've said is inaccurate.

Or are you just pouting?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #18
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Accuracy?

Quote:
I'm willing to debate the issue if you feel something I've said is inaccurate.

Or are you just pouting?
Accuracy is relative. Let's just start with the "head case" comment.....

Help me understand how Jay Cutler is a "Head Case". I will conceed:

1. He's Cocky with the fans
2. He's not a media darling
3. He could be handling the current situation better

Maybe you could enlighten me on how he's a "Head Case"........?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #19
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Accuracy is relative. Let's just start with the "head case" comment.....

Help me understand how Jay Cutler is a "Head Case". I will conceed:

1. He's Cocky with the fans
2. He's not a media darling
3. He could be handling the current situation better

Maybe you could enlighten me on how he's a "Head Case"........?
Um........

When drafted, the Broncos traded up to get him. When they did that, they thought they were getting a leader of men. Not a self absorbed player who feels his personal agenda is above the team. In this case, his feeling are above the team. I guarantee you, they thought they were drafting a more mentally stable, mentally tough, team 1st player when they trdaed up for him.

Reguardless of what he feels, he has a responsibility to his team mates to keep the team moving in a way that a leader would be expected too. Instead, it's obviously more important to communicate his displeasure than to lead this football team. The only leadership he is showing is what not to do in this situation. It's fine to be unhappy with the situation. It's fine to communicate that you're unhappy with how things are going. It's something else to throw a temper tantrum for everyone on the team to see. He's acting like TO would act. TO is a head case.

In any negotiation, the 1st one who flinces, loses.

You basically asked me to explain how he is a head case. Then you outlined why he is one. I'm not sure what the point of your arguement to the contrary would be.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #20
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default You make my case...

Quote:
Um........

When drafted, the Broncos traded up to get him. When they did that, they thought they were getting a leader of men. Not a self absorbed player who feels his personal agenda is above the team. In this case, his feeling are above the team. I guarantee you, they thought they were drafting a more mentally stable, mentally tough, team 1st player when they trdaed up for him.

Reguardless of what he feels, he has a responsibility to his team mates to keep the team moving in a way that a leader would be expected too. Instead, it's obviously more important to communicate his displeasure than to lead this football team. The only leadership he is showing is what not to do in this situation. It's fine to be unhappy with the situation. It's fine to communicate that you're unhappy with how things are going. It's something else to throw a temper tantrum for everyone on the team to see. He's acting like TO would act. TO is a head case.

You basically asked me to explain how he is a head case. Then you outlined why he is one. I'm not sure what the point of your arguement to the contrary would be.
You're too much. Champ Baily held out and demanded a trade that ultimately made him a Bronco. I guess he's a "Head Case" too.

For you to compare Jay to TO is a great justification for not debating with you. Because our definitions obviously differ so vastly it would be meaningless. TO is a true head case. I agree as do many Doctors of Psychology. I couldn't have used a better example as a means to dignify my definition and more importantly why Jay is not a "head case".

Please carry on your position with those willing to dwell and agree with your sophomoric observations.

Last edited by hambone13; 03-13-2009 at 04:47 AM..
Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Um........

If he shows up Monday, your argument goes out the window, y'know....
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #22
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
If he shows up Monday, your argument goes out the window, y'know....
That's not true.

His actions up to this point have shown his position. It's not like this is the 1st signs of a potential problem. This is one of the most publicized. His moody behavior and his inablity to control it is obvious.

I fully expect he will show up Monday. Tha fact he cant bring himself to communicate that he will be there is signs of a problem. The "I'll think about it" position he's taken is proof positive that even after all this time to come under control of his actions, he's still struggling with it.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #23
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
You're too much. Champ Baily held out and demanded a trade that ultimately made him a Bronco. I guess he's a "Head Case" too.

For you to compare Jay to TO is a great justification for not debating with you. Because our definitions obviously differ so vastly it would be meaningless. TO is a true head case. I agree as do many Doctors of Psychology. I couldn't have used a better example as a means to dignify my definition and more importantly why Jay is not a "head case".

Please carry on your position with those willing to dwell and agree with your sophomoric observations.

So, you were just pouting.

Champ didn't throw a hissy fit. TO did.

How about Jeff George? Is he a better example?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
For those who say Matt Cassel is trash, you have a terrible problem. The problem is this: if Cassel is trash, that means McDaniels is a freakin genius. There are no two ways about it. If Cassel is trash, then McDaniels took trash and made him an above average player for a year and helped his team team to an 11-5 record. And lest you say, "oh, well, he had Moss and Welker etc", sorry, you still lose. Moss was considered pure trash after his final season with Oakland before McD got hold of him. Welker had one REC TD in his career before McD got hold of him. Plus, Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Scheffler ain't much worse than what NE had.

Sorry, haters, but there is no way around it. Either Cassel is a fine Qb and McDaniels gets no credit, or he's trash and McD gets MASSIVE credit for making trash look respectable.
Your logic is massively flawed. If he's trash giving McD massive credit, then why was McD trading for him? And the issue isn't that Cassel is "trash", it's that he's trash relative to Cutler's talent.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Your logic is massively flawed. If he's trash giving McD massive credit, then why was McD trading for him? And the issue isn't that Cassel is "trash", it's that he's trash relative to Cutler's talent.
Because he knows that being a leader is as important as throwing the football, and he thinks (as Cutler is proving) that Cutler my not be a premier player in that regard where he knows that Cassel is.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote