The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Broncos to have private workout for Malcolm Jenkins

Denver gets first crack at Thorpe winner
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Posted By Albert Breer 7:58 PM
Malcolm Jenkins has his pro day tomorrow, and final exams for his last on-campus quarter at Ohio State next week.

And once that's over with, Jenkins starts the process of dealing with individual teams. The Broncos will get the first chance to work him out privately, with plans to send officials to Columbus, Ohio, to put him through the paces next Friday. Denver holds the 12th pick in the April draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/rea..._thorpe_winner

BRONCOS TO WORK OUT JENKINS NEXT WEEK
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 9:38 p.m. EDT
With Champ Bailey entering his eleventh NFL season, the Denver Broncos could be making plans for life without him.
According to Albert Breer of SportingNews.com, the Broncos will conduct a private workout of Ohio State cornerback Malcom Jenkins next Friday in Columbus, Ohio.
Jenkins generated a slower-than-expected 40-yard dash at the Combine, which could cause him to slide. On Friday, Jenkins undoubtedly will run again at Ohio State’s Pro Day workout.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ins-next-week/

Last edited by TonyR; 03-12-2009 at 07:03 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

NFLN is talking about BJ Raji working out with Denver.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

they'll workout the top guy's then shock everybody and draft the heir apparent to Paxton our long snapper

Last edited by oubronco; 03-12-2009 at 07:15 PM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I would not be surprised at all if we there was no option to move down and McD's favorite DL players were taken already, to see either Davis or Jenkins picked at #12, or even Jackson (that would be a little bit of a stretch though. CB's just hold more value then LB's. But I'm hoping we can move down 6 spots while adding a mid to low 2nd or high 3rd.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Jenkins would be a solid pick at 12, especially since he has the ability to play safety.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Jenkins is a good player and all, but unless we trade Champ Bailey for Julius Peppers, i don't see us selecting him with our first pick...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

I like getting a good player. That said, part of me would be bummed to get a corner...not the weakest spot in the defense. Need D-line or linebacker or safety much more...
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
Jenkins is a good player and all, but unless we trade Champ Bailey for Julius Peppers, i don't see us selecting him with our first pick...
He has been projected as a FS by many analysts and coaches. He would be a safe pick, if others were gone
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
he would have to paly safety..........Being an OSU fan...........he is WAY to slow to play CB in the NFL. But could be a great safety!
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer

No. Just no.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I doubt he falls to #12 but he'd be a nice value there. With that, I'm hoping we go front seven at #12. With Orakpo, Brown and Maybin all looking like they could be gone - Tyson Jackson would be a solid pick to me but I'd have no qualms about Jenkins.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I doubt he falls to #12 but he'd be a nice value there. With that, I'm hoping we go front seven at #12. With Orakpo, Brown and Maybin all looking like they could be gone - Tyson Jackson would be a solid pick to me but I'd have no qualms about Jenkins.
Jeez, man. this post just reeks of bust players!
Orakpo- Texas player which means he has TONS of athleticism, but NO football playing knowledge.
Maybin- Will bust (mark my words) unless he goes to a already solid team. Hes just not even remotely ready to be a impact player. DEN already has not one but 2!!!!! of these types of players in Crowder and Moss. Just say no.
Now Brown or Jackson, well those are guys that would be playing at some time this season depending on how fast they could adapt to Nolans scheme, which i dont think would be long.
Jenkins is one of the most NFL ready,complete players in this draft. He could come in day one and make an impact for DEN.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

if we take Jenkins or any other player for the secondary in the 1st, i am going to freak out and literally drive down to the practice facilities when camp starts and stand there all day every day waving a sign calling for McDaniels head on a stick.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I don't know about you guys but I'm happy to see Sean Smith has dropped quite a bit... he's seen as a 2nd rounder now.

Also I think we could do something crazy shock the world by drafting Jared Cook and put him at WR. (remember we wanted Clayton)

That gives us insane depth at WR with two monsters at the #1/#2 spots and Royal in the slot.

Just an FYI Jared Cook is taller and heavier than Marshall and faster as well. Marshall was seen as a TE or nothing out of college by a lot of scouts due to his speed. So this could be a surprise.

It's also possible we move Scheffler to WR.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 03-12-2009 at 07:55 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I don't know about you guys but I'm happy to see Sean Smith has dropped quite a bit... he's seen as a 2nd rounder now.
Also I think we could do something crazy shock the world by drafting Jared Cook and put him at WR. (remember we wanted Clayton)
That gives us insane depth at WR with two monsters at the #1/#2 spots and Royal in the slot.
Just an FYI Jared Cook is taller and heavier than Marshall and faster as well. Marshall was seen as a TE or nothing out of college by a lot of scouts due to his speed. So this could be a surprise.
I dont think Sean Sith who ive been pimping here forever, will be falling anytime soon. If anything hes risen since his excellent combine
Hes now the #1 rated Safety on many draft borads and analytsts

Sean Smith, S/CB, Utah
Height: 6-4. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.47.
Benchx225: DNP. Vertical: 32.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.

2/25/09: When you're compared to NFL Hall of Famer Mel Blount, you know you're having a great combine. Mike Mayock made that comparison. Sean Smith's 40 may have pushed him into Round 1.

2/23/09: Actually measured in taller than expected; 6-4 is pretty impressive.

1/14/09: Sean Smith, probably more of a safety than a corner at the next level, registered 45 tackles, nine passes broken up, two TFL, five interceptions and a pick-six for national champion Utah. He has declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

12/13/08: Sean Smith has been a beast this season, and no one can blame him if he declares a year early. An All-Mountain West first-teamer, Smith collected 40 tackles, five picks (one touchdown) and eight passes broken up. Could play corner or safety in the NFL.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I'd be real happy with MJ
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Please no. Please just focus on the front 7.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

um pass on that

not a fan of Jenkins
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

We have needed Dline since Keith Traylor left and they want yet another CB after addressing it in FA?

I got off the ledge but this could push me back on it.

If they use the #12 pick in the draft for a CB they may as well trade Bailey, Marshall and Cutler and start from nothing.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

i'd love to see Scheff lined up at receiver. he has almost the same speed as Marshall, but his size and strength when healthy would make him a matchup nightmare for teams, and then with Royal in the slot and Hillis out of the backfield or lined up all over the place, would be a beautiful thing to see.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i'd love to see Scheff lined up at receiver. he has almost the same speed as Marshall, but his size and strength when healthy would make him a matchup nightmare for teams, and then with Royal in the slot and Hillis out of the backfield or lined up all over the place, would be a beautiful thing to see.

I know Schef is a fast TE but he does not almost have the same speed as Marshall. Schef is not a WR. Putting him there would be so stupid it's not even funny. Plus he probably would be injured too often to hold the spot. The best value for Scef is trading him to a team that wants a PC TE.

If anybody here thinks we take Jenkins at #12 and put him at safety you need to put the bottle down. Denver is not taking a safety at #12, and a guy that isn't a bonnafied safety at that. He could maybe play some safety and some CB but I don't think this guy is elite at either position. He's solid, but you don't draft a "solid" Safety at #12. I can guarantee it won't be Jenkins at #12. You can take that to the bank.

I also am not big on either Maybin or Orakpo. I'd just as well take Jerry before either of those guys.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-12-2009 at 08:55 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
they'll workout the top guy's then shock everybody and draft the heir apparent to Paxton our long snapper
You're kidding, but also correct - in that guys a team works out doesn't mean that much really. Cutler hadn't even spoke to a single Broncos scout or rep before draft day.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater.........but not Malcolm Jenkins.......we could use a future safety.....but not with the number 12..........
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I know Schef is a fast TE but he does not almost have the same speed as Marshall. Schef is not a WR. Putting him there would be so stupid it's not even funny. Plus he probably would be injured too often to hold the spot. The best value for Scef is trading him to a team that wants a PC TE.

If anybody here thinks we take Jenkins at #12 and put him at safety you need to put the bottle down. Denver is not taking a safety at #12, and a guy that isn't a bonnafied safety at that. He could maybe play some safety and some CB but I don't think this guy is elite at either position. He's solid, but you don't draft a "solid" Safety at #12. I can guarantee it won't be Jenkins at #12. You can take that to the bank.

I also am not big on either Maybin or Orakpo. I'd just as well take Jerry before either of those guys.
i agree it is unlikely we take Jenkins in the 1st, but this is McDaniels team now, and the Pats do tend go after players for the secondary a lot, and it would not be a really surprising however stupid pick.

i should have elaborated on how i think we could use Scheff as a WR. i am thinking Scheff, while not WR fast has good speed, and with his size and strength he would be a great guy to line up in 3rd down, red zone and goal line situations, where he can go up for a catch and cause mismatches.

i agree, he isn't a starting WR, but since it seems Graham has the TE spot locked down, we could use Scheff's skills in certain situations at WR. the guy is never going to stretch the field or be a deep threat, but he has great hands; and in the red zone and as a possession type WR who can get us 1st downs he could be valuable.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You're kidding, but also correct - in that guys a team works out doesn't mean that much really. Cutler hadn't even spoke to a single Broncos scout or rep before draft day.
true, and if this were Shanahan i would agree, but with mcDaniels who knows what type of drafting team we will be.