The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Default Prove It

I will admit that I haven't been following the Jay Cutler "situation" as rabidly or as thoroughly as most of you. However, i feel that i have probably read over 75% of the articles that pop up on here and each and every time a new one pops up, i look for the quotes. So far, i can't honestly say that i have read anything that would indicate that Jay is in the wrong here. Refusing to meet with his coach in the OFFSEASON. Refusing to take part in a VOLUNTARY workout that he could do at home. If he didn't have a reason, I would wonder why he wouldn't want to get with his team and get the chemistry going. But he's angry. So let him simmer down a bit before he shows up.

The front office fired the coach that picked him, his offensive coordinator, and then talked about trading him (as well as his best friend on the team!). How would you feel? Some might say it is not a matter of feelings, it's a business. That's easy for the people at the top of that business to say. I would rather Jay wear his emotions on his sleeve than to lie to everyone and say that everything is fine and that he is happy in Denver and that it's "just a business" only to bolt the first chance he gets due to his hatred for the organization.

But i digress, and have rambled. The whole point to this thread, is that i challenge all of you to find a collection of Jay Cutler quotes (not just kiper-like articles with nothing of substance) that make him look even half as bad as the filler material between them.

And speaking of Mel Kiper.. Yes, Cutler said he had a stronger arm than Elway. So what? He never said he was a better quarterback and it wasn't said with any disrespect. Mel is just angry that the two Leinart and Young haven't done a damn thing in this league yet. How about writing some articles about them, Mel? What's that? Don't want to draw attention to your failures as a "draft guru" ?? What is a draft guru, anyway? Is that a scout? Or is that a person who takes from what the scouts have said and makes a mock draft. So, basically, there are probably guys on this board who, if given access to the combine, could do a much better job than you could. Isn't that right, Mel? Yeah, ESPN just keeps you around so they can do a new "Mel's Hair" flashback before each draft. That's cute.

Last edited by SportinOne; 03-12-2009 at 10:57 AM..
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I respond to your challenge with another.

Prove the FO TRIED to trade him
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
"I'm hoping I get a chance to talk to Jay at some point," Dawkins said. "To me, you handle things inside. If you have a problem with a teammate, you deal with him. If you have a problem with your head coach, you deal with him, and then you move forward."
-Brian Dawkins
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Prove the front office lied to him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

I never said that the front office lied to him, Kaylore.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
I never said that the front office lied to him, Kaylore.
Then there's no reason for him to be upset. He should take their word and come to work.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
ak1971
uhhhh

He should have said he was pissed, and then shut up. He's still under contract, so stfu.
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I respond to your challenge with another.

Prove the FO TRIED to trade him
I DID say that. Bad wording. My gripe here IS NOT WITH THE DENVER BRONCOS FRONT OFFICE. My gripe is with the media and now the fans who are constantly piling on Jay for being mad that his team discussed trading him. Exactly who initiated the trade is irrelevant, to me at least. Either way, they did discuss trading Cutler and not just as a "feeler." That is fact. I will edit my primary statement, though.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like the purpose of the thread. As Broncos fans, we all care about what's going on with our team. But we are making ourselves sick over this situation.

We are all responding to the minute amount of information that the media has thrown out there by creating threads...in the process, we are worked up into a frenzy. To me, it's all conjecture at this point.

Yes, it sucks that we are in this predicament. Yes, we all want to see McD and Cutler smooth everything over. Jay's a great QB and Josh has the makings of a great HC. All-in-all, we could be a great team as early as next year.

I am sure cooler heads will prevail. Jay will talk to Josh, Josh will explain his philosophy, Jay will state he wants to win championships, Josh will agree, then they will both get to work!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
How would you feel? Some might say it is not a matter of feelings, it's a business. That's easy for the people at the top of that business to say.

It is a business. Jay is paid MILLIONS to lead the team and play QB.
An honor most athletes would give anything to experience.
It doesn't matter that it's 'off season.' When anyone is paid that much money, they don't work a 40hr week, nor do they have a 'day off' in the middle of a supposed team controversy that throws a spotlight on them.

I'm not sure who's to blame, there seems to be enough to go around.
However, this is a business and business (trade) discussions took place involving McDaniels and Cutler, which is what happens during the FA period.
Both need to mature and get the problem resolved quickly before either paints themselves into a corner and a trade becomes inevitable.
Jay needs to stop listening to the whispering of his agent, who has his own agenda.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
I DID say that. Bad wording. My gripe here IS NOT WITH THE DENVER BRONCOS FRONT OFFICE. My gripe is with the media and now the fans who are constantly piling on Jay for being mad that his team discussed trading him.

Yet Jay keeps running, or when the media comes calling, he continues to open his mouth and gets in deeper. The BRONCOS are trying to keep it in house. Yet the kid and his agent run to the media after the phone conference and say "It went bad, they still will trade me..blah blah blah."

Blame the media for finding the topic? Maybe but Jay and his agent has been leading this parade since it came out.

Hell I bet Cook told the media that Jay was being talked about in trade talks for Cassel.

Every Cutler worshiper wanted then FO to come out and make statements. The when they did the circle-jerk crew started screaming "Their lie'n, it's a cover up, they hate Jay!"

This was and still is an in house issue. Jay and his agent have made it into a public tantrum for everyone to view.

P.S. F Cutler, I'm done with the kid.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Then there's no reason for him to be upset. He should take their word and come to work.
I understand that side of it. Optimally, he lets it fly and shows up tossing lasers and everything is good. I want this as well. I am simply trying to prove that Jay isn't nearly as bad of a guy as people are making him out to be. I don't think he's a cry baby at all. He's angry, and that's just fine with me. When he starts skipping mandatory team functions I will start to worry.

The other reason for my post is that I really want to get to the bottom of this and see for myself what HE has said. I feel a little out of the loop when i come on here every day and people are ready to crucify him when two weeks ago he was Elway 2.0. I just haven't seen or read anything that would justify such a radical change in opinion.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
two weeks ago he was Elway 2.0
He was never Elway 2.0, he never will be Elway. There is/was only one ELWAY.

Jay is a Jeff George V2.0
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
He was never Elway 2.0, he never will be Elway. There is/was only one ELWAY.
I don't disagree, but you know what i meant. People were behind Jay every step of the way.

And if Jay and his agent have been leading this circus from the beginning it shouldn't be too hard to find some pretty incriminating quotes.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

**** all this **** I want to know what Jay gave out a halloween last year.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Jay does not have a stronger arm then Elway.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

In his very first interview he very heavily insinuated that he felt lied to by the FO. He outright compared himself with Eli Manning and Peyton Manning, both with championships under their belts, as why you don't trade a franchise QB.

In those statements he made it quite clear he considers himself above a trade of any kind. That is all it takes right there, he feels he is above a certain standard that everyone else on his team knows they're held to.

I'd have no problems with him, and I think the Broncos FO would feel the same, if he'd just accept that no one is untradeable or irreplaceable until they do it on the field. He isn't handling the situation like a professional and he aired the team's dirty laundry in public which only makes the situation worse, but it all ultimately comes down to him feeling like he should be held to a different standard than the teammates he supposedly plays for.

I've backed up nearly everything I've said on this board about Cutler with the source or quote that made me think that. That is a hell of a lot more than you can say for the Cutler apologists who want to imagine the NFL is some idelic world where no one's feelings ever get hurt and the big bad corporate heirarchy doesn't exist.

In the real world the NFL is a business just like any other, and if you don't have the stones to handle adversity you probably won't last very long.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
It is a business. Jay is paid MILLIONS to lead the team and play QB.
An honor most athletes would give anything to experience.
It doesn't matter that it's 'off season.' When anyone is paid that much money, they don't work a 40hr week, nor do they have a 'day off' in the middle of a supposed team controversy that throws a spotlight on them.

I'm not sure who's to blame, there seems to be enough to go around.
However, this is a business and business (trade) discussions took place involving McDaniels and Cutler, which is what happens during the FA period.
Both need to mature and get the problem resolved quickly before either paints themselves into a corner and a trade becomes inevitable.
Jay needs to stop listening to the whispering of his agent, who has his own agenda.
It's an honor, yes. But Jay is still Jay and you can't take the emotional side out of it. You think he is angry and causing problems for the sake of being angry and causing problems? The guy has diabetes and is taking insulin injections during the game, an NFL game, in order to help his team. He is(was) about as emotionally dedicated to the "company" as he could have been. Then he finds out, through the media, that his company no longer wants him around.

Again, it's not like the company is in the wrong, they are just trying to make the company better. But i just don't think Jay deserves all of this bad publicity.

If you disagree, fine. But next time one of your friends is treated badly in a way that benefits the company, i want you to say out loud to your friend, "Hey, it's a business, man. I'm sure they are just doing what's best for them."
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Jay has a cannon but I seen Elway throw a frozen 40 yard rope and not even sweat it, winner = Elway.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

People are always whining about how professional athletes just show up and collect their money and don't have any passion for what they do anymore. Yet, Cutler tells the world how he feels about his team possibly not wanting him to play for them and everyone says, "Oh, well, it's a business. Get with the times."
Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Jay does not have a stronger arm then Elway.
This I am not so sure of. I was amazed when I watch both Elway and Jay in person. Not sure there is much difference either way.

That said Jay needs to STFU seriously bragging on how strong your arm is just shows how immature he is.

Jay call me when you lead your team anywhere besides the offseason.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
I understand that side of it. Optimally, he lets it fly and shows up tossing lasers and everything is good. I want this as well. I am simply trying to prove that Jay isn't nearly as bad of a guy as people are making him out to be. I don't think he's a cry baby at all. He's angry, and that's just fine with me. When he starts skipping mandatory team functions I will start to worry.
Fair enough. Making one statement about it would have been enough. Going over and over again about how upset you are, how mad you are at the organization, saying there is going to be "big trouble" if he's traded... that's unacceptable.

It's unprofessional. In any other job, he would be gone by now.

Don't get me wrong: I want Jay Cutler in Denver. But he's got to show some desire to be here, and he hasn't yet. Not coming to Denver to meet with his boss? Allegedly thinking about skipping OTAs next week? Come on, Jay. Time to grow up and meet halfway.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
People are always whining about how professional athletes just show up and collect their money and don't have any passion for what they do anymore. Yet, Cutler tells the world how he feels about his team possibly not wanting him to play for them and everyone says, "Oh, well, it's a business. Get with the times."
Passion and leadership on the field.

Off the field handle yourself as a pro and more importantly an adult.

The minute Shanny was canned, Jay was spouting off that he should have been first to know and then wanted a say in the new coach, and nearly demanded that Bates stay.

Again what in the hell has Jay done to demand this type attitude? What has he won? He's a 2.5 year starter with a losing record and stats that look just like Plummers stats.

So what has Jay done to be considered untouchable, the man, bigger than the team?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I DID say that. Bad wording. My gripe here IS NOT WITH THE DENVER BRONCOS FRONT OFFICE. My gripe is with the media and now the fans who are constantly piling on Jay for being mad that his team discussed trading him. Exactly who initiated the trade is irrelevant, to me at least. Either way, they did discuss trading Cutler and not just as a "feeler." That is fact. I will edit my primary statement, though.
Trading was discussed, how serious the talks were is still speculation. I see what you are getting at. The issue I think people are taking with Cutler comes from a lot of speculation, but seeing as how his "feelings" are being consistently leaked, and no one has stepped forward from his camp to deny anything, I feel justified in assuming these media outlets are correct. His initial statements of being "lied to," saying that other better QB's aren't treated like he is. It sets a tone of victimization. Then his admission that he refused to go see McD and company to clear the air, speaks volumes.

All reports on the issue show Cutler not answering/returning calls from the broncos. There has been no denial from cutler that these things aren't true. ten on top of it all we hear he may not even come in at the start of workouts. Are they mandatory? No. Still given the situation don't you think a sane person would go into work as at least a show of good faith, leadership, or maturity. Even if he doesn't trust the FO (which is still weird to me), him showing up would send the message to his teammates that are attending that Cutler has the teammates interests in mind to. This entire time line has only shown me that Cutler lacks maturity and leadership, not to mention I know exactly who Cutler plays for. He doesn't play for his teammates, he plays for himself.

The media didn't turn me to this, I've suspected it for a while. You'll find that I never was one of the praisers of Cutler, something always seemed wrong about him to me.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
1In his very first interview he very heavily insinuated that he felt lied to by the FO. He outright compared himself with Eli Manning and Peyton Manning, both with championships under their belts, as why you don't trade a franchise QB.

2I've backed up nearly everything I've said on this board about Cutler with the source or quote that made me think that.

3In the real world the NFL is a business just like any other, and if you don't have the stones to handle adversity you probably won't last very long.
1. To my knowledge, he didn't say this. His agent did, and...

2. Had you provided the quote it would indicate that, but i could be wrong.

3. True, but his testicular fortitude as well as his success or failure is not the issue here. The issue is: Is he in the wrong for what he said, and also, what exactly DID he say?