The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default Wisdom of Brian Dawkins, Theismann ... Listen up Jay

Sage advice for Jay from our new team leader and an ex-SB QB. Listen carefully Jay! ... This isn't about a pissing contest with the coach ... you lose. Time to get your head out of your arse and report on Monday. Prove to us all your deserve to be a team leader and can win the tough games when they count. You carry on and hurt this team and NO ONE is going to respect you any longer .. well maybe lex, BB and a few other die-hard fanboy lovers, but no one who counts, like your team-mates and the rest of the NFL.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11892072

Drama of McJaygate sounds familiar

New Bronco Brian Dawkins knows about in-house rifts like the one in Denver from his long run with the Eagles.
By Mike Klis

Quarterback controversy? Yo, Brian Dawkins is from Philadelphia. He knows what a real quarterback controversy looks like. As a matter of fact, it looks just like Donovan McNabb, right.

Part of Broncoland is irked at the audacity of first-year head coach Josh McDaniels. Another part is infuriated with quarterback Jay Cutler for the way he has reacted.

Amid the fuming chaos that is McJaygate, safety Brian Dawkins doesn't flinch. Where did Dawkins come from again before he signed a five-year contract with the Broncos? Oh, yeah.

"I come from Philadelphia," Dawkins said Wednesday. "These types of things are no big deal for me. I shouldn't say they're not a big deal, but I've seen where once things are handled in-house, inside the locker room, that these things get worked out and we move on and we come together as a team. That's what I'm hoping happens here."

In the city of brotherly spats, a year doesn't go by without another edition of Donovan Drama. Donovan McNabb is the Philadelphia Eagles' franchise quarterback who, often through no fault of his own, has been a magnet for controversy and criticism. There were Donovan and T.O., Donovan and the knee injury, Donovan and No. 2 draft pick Kevin Kolb, Donovan and A.J. Feely, Donovan and demanding better players.

Dawkins played through it all, on the other side of the ball, with the Eagles the past 13 years. Now he joins a team facing a familiar problem. Perhaps the wisdom Dawkins gained through his previous beleaguered-quarterback experiences can help Denver resolve its current conflict?

"I'm hoping I get a chance to talk to Jay at some point," Dawkins said. "To me, you handle things inside. If you have a problem with a teammate, you deal with him. If you have a problem with your head coach, you deal with him, and then you move forward."

But that's part of the problem between the Broncos and Cutler. Since emotional wounds were opened with the revelation Cutler was on the trading block two weeks ago, the Broncos haven't been able to get their quarterback into town, much less inside their Dove Valley headquarters

Cutler also is undecided whether to report for the start of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program Monday, knowing that he may seal his fate out of Denver if he doesn't show.

"I like Jay, I like Jay a lot," said former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann. "He brings a charisma and a moxie that most guys don't have. But those things don't matter when it comes to winning. And the fact he has his nose out of joint because he's on the trading block — listen, (in 1981, the year before the Redskins won the Super Bowl) we drafted a quarterback (Tom Flick, in the fourth round). How ticked do you think I was? What I did, instead of getting upset with management, I worked harder. I worked longer. I made absolutely sure who the starting quarterback was going to be in Washington. I would like to see Jay Cutler, instead of focusing on rhetoric, go to work, improve his set of skills and become a better football player. Because he's not going anywhere."

Even if Cutler doesn't show up for offseason workouts Monday, it's not certain the Broncos would trade him. The team has to be careful, because the offseason program is voluntary until the start of mini-camps. The Broncos' first mini-camp is April 17-19, the weekend before the NFL draft.

The draft is when most NFL trades are made. Cutler?

"I don't see that happening," Dawkins said. "Obviously, I don't make decisions, I don't make the calls, but I don't see that happening."

Spoken by a man who understands how these quarterback dramas usually end.

Last edited by Hulamau; 03-12-2009 at 01:47 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

Man, I really like Brian Dawkins, but he doesn't seem to be taking his own advice re: keeping it in house.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

Wow, sounds like Jay is really the envy of the locker room, huh?

Odd, I didn't hear Dawkins call the coach a "douche" or even mention the coaches as the problem at all. Hmmmm...........

Funny how all of the people who truly understand the game from the inside say the same thing.... Jay needs to grow up.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

Sometimes I think you want this team to fall apart.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Man, I really like Brian Dawkins, but he doesn't seem to be taking his own advice re: keeping it in house.
Isn't he just saying that Jay shouldn't have thrown his tantrum to the media, and instead been a man?

Dawkins isn't calling him out, he's just very diplomatically answering a question about how this should be handled.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
extralife
Ring of Famer

It's treading the same water. It could be read as calling Jay out. And it certainly can't be anything but more fuel for the fire.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Sometimes I think you want this team to fall apart.
Well, then you must just be thoroughly confused.

I've stated that I want Jay to be a man and report to camp. I've also stated that I think this team is better off keeping him in town, despite the fact that I'm not sure he's a great leader... I'm hoping he can become one, or at least keep his ego in check.

So, whatever you're thinking isn't very rational.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
It's treading the same water. It could be read as calling Jay out. And it certainly can't be anything but more fuel for the fire.
Well, Jay is locked in his room having a tantrum.

How is anyone supposed to talk to him face to face? He wouldn't even show up for the meeting, apparently.

Get the idea that maaaaaaaybe his teammates are getting a little fed up with this and just want the guy to honor his contract, at this point?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
extralife
Ring of Famer

I don't think anyone knows anything about what his teammates feel. I'm almost certain the locker room is or will be divided, but there's nothing to go on. Just as we've heard certain teammates might be pissed at Jay, we've heard about others that were pissed at the regime. I'm certain it will stay that way, and I would not be surprised to see us attempt to ship out certain other players if Cutler really is dealt.

Cutler showed up for the meeting. It was on the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have any reliable information indicating why it was on the phone instead of in person. As of this point, both sides are still playing the "no, it's his fault" game.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
I don't think anyone knows anything about what his teammates feel. I'm almost certain the locker room is or will be divided, but there's nothing to go on. Just as we've heard certain teammates might be pissed at Jay, we've heard about others that were pissed at the regime. I'm certain it will stay that way, and I would not be surprised to see us attempt to ship out certain other players if Cutler really is dealt.

Cutler showed up for the meeting. It was on the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have any reliable information indicating why it was on the phone instead of in person. As of this point, both sides are still playing the "no, it's his fault" game.
I agree with almost all of that. We really don't have any credible information.
All reports seemed to suggest, though... that Cutler decided not to attend in person. Now, maybe those reports are wrong. But, I haven't heard anyone from Cutler's camp deny them.

I also agree that the locker room may be divided. Those are just human beings in there. We're all fans of this team, and we're all divided. (Though, it's quickly becoming a vast majority who believe Jay needs to just suck it up and get in there and do his job.)

This can all be over as soon as Monday if Jay wants it to be.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
we drafted a quarterback (Tom Flick, in the fourth round). How ticked do you think I was? What I did, instead of getting upset with management, I worked harder. I worked longer. I made absolutely sure who the starting quarterback was going to be in Washington. I would like to see Jay Cutler, instead of focusing on rhetoric, go to work, improve his set of skills and become a better football player. Because he's not going anywhere."
Or he could pull a Plummer and say eff football I'm living in the Mountains, you deal with the crazy assed QB lynching fans of Denver where not even a winning record and a trip to the AFC Championship is enough to get much love, if your name doesn't rhyme with Melway.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This is where the Denver Broncos have done an excellent job of spinning the story in their direction. They've got a lot of talking heads believing that Jay's problem has to do with the fact that he was on the trading block, and not what the real issue is: the fact that he doesn't feel like he can trust anyone in management after being continually lied to in order to cover up their tracks.

This is where keeping Jeremy Bates would have been a smart move. At least then he'd feel that he has an advocate on the coaching staff that he can trust.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-12-2009 at 01:56 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This can all be over as soon as Monday if Jay wants it to be.
There is no way this ends Monday, and you know it.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This is where the Denver Broncos have done an excellent job of spinning the story in their direction. They've got a lot of talking heads believing that Jay's problem has to do with the fact that he was on the trading block, and not what the real issue is: the fact that he doesn't feel like he can trust anyone in management..

That's ****in' hysterical, dude. It really is. It's really precious.

Yea, Bowlen has sent a team of operatives out to infiltrate the media and perform mind-control.... because none of these guys have been around long enough to understand how any of this works.

Honestly, man... that's so warped and paranoid, it's just precious. I can't think of any other word for it.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
There is no way this ends Monday, and you know it.
No, you're probably right. Jay likely doesn't want it to. (And/or his agent.)

But, I hope you're wrong. I hope Jay comes to his senses.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer

You sure have a strange definition of "spin"
Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #17
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No, you're probably right. Jay likely doesn't want it to. (And/or his agent.)

But, I hope you're wrong. I hope Jay comes to his senses.
What I'm saying is Jay Cutler could report on Monday and give Josh McDaniels a smiling bear hug in front of the cameras and this story wouldn't be over.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Besides, Taco... what does Cutler need to "trust" anyone about?

Trust?

Get your bowl-haircut ass out there and throw touchdowns until someone tells you you're going to throw touchdowns somewhere else... or not.

There's your trust. Do your ****ing job and let the brass do theirs. No one is asking snotty for his trust. Get the **** out there and be a professional. The rest will work itself out.

Trust? What is this, a commune?

Are the Broncos dating Jay, or is he an employee?

"Feel like he can trust."

Good lord.

Last edited by Popps; 03-12-2009 at 02:03 AM..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
What I'm saying is Jay Cutler could report on Monday and give Josh McDaniels a smiling bear hug in front of the cameras and this story wouldn't be over.
Oh, that's fine. And sure, we'll hear about this forever.

Whatever.

As long as Jay does what we (they) pay him to do... and shuts his mouth, things will be fine. That way, our staff and ownership can concentrate on THEIR jobs.

Jay can make this real simple.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #20
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Well, Jay is locked in his room having a tantrum.

How is anyone supposed to talk to him face to face? He wouldn't even show up for the meeting, apparently.

Get the idea that maaaaaaaybe his teammates are getting a little fed up with this and just want the guy to honor his contract, at this point?
Hey Popps you are up late there on the west coast! Its morning here in Amsterdam.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

There are lingering issues regardless. What do other players think about Culter? What do they think about McDaniels? Or Pat Bowlen? How does this change the way the league perceives the Denver Broncos as an organization? Do Detroit, Minnesota or Tampa try to throw together deals on or before draft day? Does Jay intend to stay here after his contract expires? What happens on the sidelines after Jay throws his first bad interception?

Sports are not as robotic as you seem to believe.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #22
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
I'm hoping that's what he does ... if he is dedicated to playing hard this season and being a team guy.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Hey Popps you are up late there on the west coast! Its morning here in Amsterdam.
Woah. Yea, 1:00 am here. I'm a night-owl. This dumb site helps me procrastinate on getting back to my editing.

What are you doing over there?

Seems like a great place to be... at least for a while!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

That's ****in' hysterical, dude. It really is. It's really precious.

Yea, Bowlen has sent a team of operatives out to infiltrate the media and perform mind-control.... because none of these guys have been around long enough to understand how any of this works.

Honestly, man... that's so warped and paranoid, it's just precious. I can't think of any other word for it.

I thought you said you understood business. Here's a lesson: multi-million dollar corporations don't leave the media they receive up to chance. They use (stick with me) "Public Relations." Public relations is, yes, a team of operatives who do their level best to coordinate the message and control the story.

I know you don't follow the media like I do. You figure out what you want the story to be, and then you lie your ass off to make people believe that story. But I actually follow the story itself, with a keen interest on the tone of the scoop, and where the sources might be originating from. It's in my best interest to do so, first because I don't want to sound like the half-cocked jackass that you do with your rampant lying, and second, because finding the gaps and asking the right questions of the right folks ofen uncovers some valuable gems.

Look man. We get it. Cutler replaced Plummer, and you're getting your revenge. Have your day in the sun man. Just don't make such a fool of yourself in the process. We've got Lex on one side, and Popps as his polar opposite. There's plenty of middle ground for the rest of us to stand on, and a real story that those who still have the curiosity to uncover are paying attention to.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-12-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
There are lingering issues regardless. What do other players think about Culter? What do they think about McDaniels? Or Pat Bowlen? How does this change the way the league perceives the Denver Broncos as an organization? Do Detroit, Minnesota or Tampa try to throw together deals on or before draft day? Does Jay intend to stay here after his contract expires? What happens on the sidelines after Jay throws his first bad interception?

Sports are not as robotic as you seem to believe.
Yes, that's ;ife where one thing leads to or influences another. Nothing happens in a vaccum.

Bottomline there is only one good outcome here for both the Denver Broncos AND Jay Cutler and that is for Jay to drop the drama queen act and get his but into Dove Valley on Monday and take out his fruistration on opposing defenses.

If he does that and works hard then in all likelihood he and McD will be a great duo together for years to come, maybe even fast friends. Who knows?
But Jay is doing himself no good at all now by mulling over not coming in on Monday now IN THE PRESS and acting like he was DISSED at a meeting where the other side said it was all constructive and positive.