The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default Jay Cutlers record

17-20.

Jay Cutlers record when the defense isnt absolutely pathetic (meaning 30 points or less a game allowed) - 14-7.

Jay Cutlers record when the defense is half decent (meaning 22 points or less per game allowed) - 12-1.

Jay Cutlers record when the defense is absolutely pathetic (30 or more ppg allowed) - 3-13

Point is the fact that he even needs defending is pathetic. Maybe some of you need to look at Montanas, or Elways, or Peyton Mannings, or Tom Bradys records when the defense takes a shlt. Maybe ill do it tomorrow when I have more time. Guys like Cutler dont come around every so often. Anyway, heard it on the radio today, as many of you have probably also have, and wanted to get it on here before the McDaniels fanboys quote that incredibly misleading overall record one more time to idiodically claim that Jay Cutler is Leaf/George. Probably the same ones who thought Reeves was the end all be all and Elway was also a spoiled little punk.

Bottom line is you give Jay even a middle of the road defense that gives up 300 points in a year and this team takes off. And that HAS been proven.

Last edited by spdirty; 03-12-2009 at 07:42 AM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

This has already been covered. It is the same with damn near every QB. Records are a team acomplishment, not a individual one.

End Thread Please.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

those are interesting numbers indeed.

I seriously hope the bridge gets mended here, Denver needs Cutler more than Cutler needs Denver. Lets hope it works out.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Jay Cutler will be experiencing his fourth defensive coordinator in four years.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Jay Cutler will be experiencing his fourth defensive coordinator in four years.
What's that got to do with Cutler and his offense? Nothing.

End Thread Please.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Jay Cutlers record when the defense isnt absolutely pathetic (meaning 30 points or less a game allowed) - 14-7.

Jay Cutlers record when the defense is half decent (meaning 22 points or less per game allowed) - 12-1.
HELLO! Thanks spdirty ... very interesting indeed.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

I did this in an elementry form with Elway and Cutler's defenses for their first 3 seasons and posted it.

The Broncos in

1983 were 21/28 in defense
1984 were 25/28 in defense
1985 were 13/28 in defense

The Broncos in

2006 were 14/32 in defense
2007 were 19/32 in defense
2008 were 29/32 in defense

So for every stat you can find one to make it look wrong...bottom line is Elway had similar crappy defenses but a much better record. Anything else is just an excuse. Reeves v. Shannahan, this stat makes Reeves look better but I doubt we can find someone here to agree with that. Stats are nice for the back of TOPPS cards, and HOF resume's but winning records and rings are all that matter in the end.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
extralife
Ring of Famer

But is the comparison really John Elway? Does a QB in this town have to be at least as good as a first ballot hall of famer in order to be worth keeping around?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Now if both sides can get over themselves...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Guys... the whole thing about is record is simple. It's being made too difficult...

1. He doesn't have a winning record.

2. That isn't all his fault, and probably very little his fault.

But, the reason his record is being brought up is that he's reacting to the possibility of being traded as if he's accomplished something in this league. Whether it's your fault your team is a loser or not... people rarely take b****ing from a losing QB well, particularly one with a questionable demeanor and a rep for popping off at the mouth.

So, you have to separate the issues here. No one is saying it's Jay's fault he's not a winner. What all of these experienced pros are saying... is that regardless of circumstance, he's a young, non-winning QB who is acting as if he's (quote) "entitled" to things.

He's not.

Again... it doesn't matter if it's his fault with regard to how people are perceiving his actions. People just want to know what you've done in this league, and putting up a few numbers doesn't give you the right to act as if you're a Hall of Fame QB... and hence untradable.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #11
extralife
Ring of Famer

At the same time, I defy you to name a QB in the history of this league with Cutler's talent level that was traded at his age. Maybe he's not entitled to be kept around, but the team would be nothing but a bunch of fools to move him all the same. A franchise QB is the hardest thing to get your hands on in all of professional sports; if Cutler isn't one, he's closer to it than anyone else we could possibly end up with.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
At the same time, I defy you to name a QB in the history of this league with Cutler's talent level that was traded at his age. Maybe he's not entitled to be kept around, but the team would be nothing but a bunch of fools to move him all the same.
Brett Favre. There are more... and better QBs who have been traded, but there's your one example.

Jay wasn't even traded. This whole Cutlergate thing could have died if he just acted like a man about it and said... "I hope I get to stay in Denver, but I'll win for whatever team I play for."

End of story. End of saga. End of issue.

But, Jay keeps draaaaaaaaging it out.

I wonder why that might be?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

Brett might work, but he was a second round pick with zero game experience when he was dealt. Jay is a fourth year player with a pro bowl under his belt and very favorable statistics, including the franchise record for yards passing in a season. I find it very, very hard to compare the two.

And, uhhhh, citing the Falcon's letting go of Brett isn't really helping you here. How well did that work out for them?

And do you really think this would be over if he said "I'll win for whatever team I play for"? People would be playing up the "Jay is just an apathetic loser; he doesn't get what it means to play QB for the Denver Broncos" angle. You can mark that down. This is a rough town. Jay's original words almost were that anyway. He said he was shocked and disappointed, which is both an understandable and extremely common reaction. The problem, as a million people have said a million times, is one of trust. Jay perceives that he was lied to; in response the team has basically said "yeah how about you show up for our OTA's." When asked by the media whether or not there was a trade in place for Cassel, McDaniels said "No comment," and only later (when Cassel was off the market) said that Jay Cutler was not being traded. Jay is a smart guy. He smells the bull****. Hell, maybe it ain't even there, but it sure isn't hard to see it like that.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
What's that got to do with Cutler and his offense? Nothing.

End Thread Please.
Why?

It has all to do with the worst defense in the NFL.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
But, the reason his record is being brought up is that he's reacting to the possibility of being traded as if he's accomplished something in this league.
You dumbass. He led the #2 offense in the NFL without a RB or a defanse.

Oh yes, I forgot. ProBowl in his 3rd season DESPITE missing the playoffs.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #16
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Why?

It has all to do with the worst defense in the NFL.
Mock, STFU.

My statement was in response to Taco talking about Jay will be with his 4th DC in 4 years.

Once again, that has nothing to do with him, nor the offense.

Now get back to your tractor racing.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
You dumbass. He led the #2 offense in the NFL without a RB or a defanse.

Oh yes, I forgot. ProBowl in his 3rd season DESPITE missing the playoffs.
A pro bowl nod after he choked down the stretch with 3 games to go to miss the playoffs. Blame the defense all you want, but it isn't like he had nothing to do with those 3 losses.

So again. STFU.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #18
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This whole Cutlergate thing could have died if he just acted like a man about it and said... "I hope I get to stay in Denver, but I'll win for whatever team I play for."

I like how you say that Jay should somehow be terse, "man up" and let things go, yet you seem to have a most nettlesome bee in your bonnet about the issue. It's kinda like when mock would call a player a "flavor clown" back in the day. You might very well be the most vociferous and inflammatory person on the planet on either side of the cutler/mcdaniel/shanahan controversy. Honestly, for me, it comes down to not wanting the team to operate in the cutthroat patriot way. That was the reason I hated the NFC growing up. We're looking like Camp Northstar now except the players have to bring a stupid Vrabelesque lunchpail to work. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'll take 7-9 over 13-3 if it involves the vrabel aesthetic. I don't know if that's exactly where we're headed, but it's looking that way.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
A pro bowl nod after he choked down the stretch with 3 games to go to miss the playoffs. Blame the defense all you want, but it isn't like he had nothing to do with those 3 losses.

So again. STFU.
I'm the one who warned about a potential collapse. Cutler was pressed more than Elway ever was.

We had a cell phone salesman and cooked crack as our running attack.

GREAT BRONCO, check the last 3 games defensively.

DUMBASS

Cutler was playing against a loaded deck.

Whatever.

Welcome to 6-10. Even with this weak division.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #20
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Popps is just like Manny being Manny.

Him and Appa have chased alot of posters off, or I might say, good posters.

Most of the intellectual posters saw this coming.

Shanahan has 15 million to finish his mansion.

Bowlen has a team is dissaray.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosinDC View Post
I did this in an elementry form with Elway and Cutler's defenses for their first 3 seasons and posted it.

The Broncos in

1983 were 21/28 in defense
1984 were 25/28 in defense
1985 were 13/28 in defense

The Broncos in

2006 were 14/32 in defense
2007 were 19/32 in defense
2008 were 29/32 in defense

So for every stat you can find one to make it look wrong...bottom line is Elway had similar crappy defenses but a much better record. Anything else is just an excuse. Reeves v. Shannahan, this stat makes Reeves look better but I doubt we can find someone here to agree with that. Stats are nice for the back of TOPPS cards, and HOF resume's but winning records and rings are all that matter in the end.
Yards a game don't matter as much if you can stop them from scoring, though it's still bad - the total defense he was talking about was POINTS ALLOWED.

Lets look at the real Elway defense.

In 1983 we were 9th in points allowed
In 1984 we were 2nd (SECOND) in points allowed

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...P&d-447263-p=1

Stare at it too if you don't believe

In 1985 we were 13th in points allowed. (Elway threw 23 int's this year)

Lets move to Cutler's defense shall we?

We were 8th (yep) in 2006 in points allowed - it should be noted that Jay didn't start that entire season.

Now we move to the Slowik Era (Slowik took over for Bates during 2007)

In 2007 we were 28th in points allowed

Cant get much worse can it mhmm

In 2008 we were 30th in points allowed

If you look at the guy's stats he's talking about points allowed not "yards." Who cares if you give up a ton of yards if the other team doesn't score. Also what I find AMAZING about the Broncos D during Elway is that Elway THREW MORE INTERCEPTIONS than Cutler and his D still managed to prevent a ton of scoring.

I mean holy crap... 13th in points allowed in a year Elway threw 23 (TWENTY THREE) interceptions.

If Cutler had that type of D, Shanahan would still be here and we would have made the playoffs in 06... and surely in 08.

Cut it anyway you want, Elway had a vastly superior defense WINNING games for him with their D when he was a young QB. Look at the amount of INT's Elway had in his first 3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/johnelway...e?id=ELW276861

Hell look at his completion percentage. He was sacked under 30 times his first two years too, which isn't "horrific" by any means.

BAM!

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 03-12-2009 at 03:54 AM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Brett Favre. There are more... and better QBs who have been traded, but there's your one example.

Jay wasn't even traded. This whole Cutlergate thing could have died if he just acted like a man about it and said... "I hope I get to stay in Denver, but I'll win for whatever team I play for."

I wonder why that might be?
Bret Favre wasn't trade when he was a young starting QB that just accomplished a record setting season for his club. He was 3rd stringer in ATL and old fart in GB when the trade was made. Try again or just make **** up like you usually do.

The only one that might come close is Bledsoe, but he was coming of an injury plagued season that regulated him to the beach and Brady playing in front of him.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Dimwits still don't get it.

Shanahan built the offense from scatch, next was the D.

McDummy is going to blow up the offense and leave the D in shambles.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #24
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Yards a game don't matter as much if you can stop them from scoring, though it's still bad - the total defense he was talking about was POINTS ALLOWED.

Lets look at the real Elway defense.

In 1983 we were 9th in points allowed
In 1984 we were 2nd (SECOND) in points allowed

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...P&d-447263-p=1

Stare at it too if you don't believe

In 1985 we were 13th in points allowed. (Elway threw 23 int's this year)

Lets move to Cutler's defense shall we?

We were 8th (yep) in 2006 in points allowed - it should be noted that Jay didn't start that entire season.

Now we move to the Slowik Era (Slowik took over for Bates during 2007)

In 2007 we were 28th in points allowed

Cant get much worse can it mhmm

In 2008 we were 30th in points allowed

If you look at the guy's stats he's talking about points allowed not "yards." Who cares if you give up a ton of yards if the other team doesn't score. Also what I find AMAZING about the Broncos D during Elway is that Elway THREW MORE INTERCEPTIONS than Cutler and his D still managed to prevent a ton of scoring.

I mean holy crap... 13th in points allowed in a year Elway threw 23 (TWENTY THREE) interceptions.

If Cutler had that type of D, Shanahan would still be here and we would have made the playoffs in 06... and surely in 08.

Cut it anyway you want, Elway had a vastly superior defense WINNING games for him with their D when he was a young QB. Look at the amount of INT's Elway had in his first 3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/johnelway...e?id=ELW276861

Hell look at his completion percentage. He was sacked under 30 times his first two years too, which isn't "horrific" by any means.

BAM!
good stuff ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #25
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Dimwits still don't get it.

Shanahan built the offense from scatch, next was the D.

McDummy is going to blow up the offense and leave the D in shambles.
yup ... and im so bummed i'm not going to get to see Jay mature with Shanny...

Mike had the O ready to hunt and finally got the qb to run the whole playbook and the D was next ... Hell we almost made the playoffs with a historic bad D. We was going to be good to great for a decade.

Now we are the lead in story on most sports shows and made fun of in the media nationally .
Great we are the Bengals ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote