The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default SI's For The Record: Broncos should part ways with Jay Cutler

Broncos should part ways with Jay Cutler
By Andrew Perloff

Josh McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001, the year Drew Bledsoe was hurt and Tom Brady led them to their first Super Bowl win. It's no surprise he explored trading an established Pro Bowler like Jay Cutler to get his guy in New England, Matt Cassel. That deal fell through, but proved McDaniels will try to follow Bill Belichick's lead and concentrate more on getting guys that fit his system than raw talent.

Now that the relationship between McDaniels and Cutler is on rocky footing -- a reconciliation conference call reportedly didn't go well -- the team and the quarterback should part ways sooner rather than later. You have to imagine McDaniels wants to find his Brady. Cutler likely won't be that quarterback.

No one can question Cutler's arm strength, but he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West. Cutler threw 18 interceptions last season and failed to inspire the team down the stretch as the Broncos blew the AFC West lead to San Diego. After their collapse, Cutler came out and criticized the defense ... something Brady would never have even considered.

Even if Cutler stays in Denver, he may not be comfortable enough to thrive under McDaniels. Young quarterbacks need their coach to believe in them and McDaniels could have a harder time getting through to the sensitive quarterback now.

Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and San Francisco have been rumored as potential landing sports if Broncos trade Cutler. Those are all potentially bad situations for a quarterback, but if Cutler really believes in his skills, he won't be afraid to start over with a rebuilding team.

Meanwhile, McDaniels seemed willing to go with Cutler after he missed out on acquiring Cassel. But the Broncos could still turn to free agency or a trade to bring in someone else. McDaniels doesn't need someone with a big arm like Cutler. For now, he would be better off with a middle-of-the-road talent like Cassel (who was traded to Kansas City), that can master the short-and-intermediate game while avoiding turnovers.

For McDaniels to succeed he's going to have to build a Super Bowl team. The Broncos have been over .500 regularly since John Elway retired, but the franchise's expectations are clearly higher. To get to the next level, McDaniels needs to find his Brady. What's the point of trying to force a fit with Cutler if that's not where the coach-QB relationship is headed?

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/fo...ith-jay-cutler
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

this guy has it all wrong...If Cutler needs to go, it's not because he can't play McDaniels scheme, it's because he is forcing himself out of town...no one thinks that the Broncos are better with Cassel under center than with Cutler (all things being equal)...under the alleged trade scenario, all things weren't equal, it was Cassel and two day one picks for Cutler and a 2nd, and it didn't go down...

You would think that Cutler, for all his throwing the Defense under the bus, would understand the concept of building a well-rounded team. At least you would think that if the guy could look beyond his own ego.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"but he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West"

complete lie

Who says that, what we want to be? I mean did Mcdaniel, bring the video camera?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

"No one can question Cutler's arm strength, but he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West. Cutler threw 18 interceptions last season and failed to inspire the team down the stretch as the Broncos blew the AFC West lead to San Diego. After their collapse, Cutler came out and criticized the defense ... something Brady would never have even considered."

Talk about laying it out there...hammer, nail, head
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I hate that we're now trying to be the Patriots of the West (supposedly). **** the Patriots.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Cutler has proven he can carry the team with marginal talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Sure he needs to cut down on his turnovers, but next year will be year 3 of starting. Other than Jay acting like a baby, why do people all of a sudden think Jay is easily replaceable with anybody?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
DrFate
Lord of Order

"he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West"

So, to summarize...

Garcia says 'false'

Dortoh says 'true'

DrFate says 'false'

Popps says 'true' (below)

His accuracy doesn't bother me, and I think his decision making is on par with any 2nd year starter with no running game.

Last edited by DrFate; 03-11-2009 at 03:02 PM..
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Bronco Yoda

Bowlen needs to set the ground rules. You both need to get over this and win some games or you're both gone.

Cutler, I'll trade you to Siberia, McD you'll be cleaning my private bathroom.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

No one can question Cutler's arm strength, but he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West.

Gosh, and here I thought I was just "making all of this up."

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Best article written so far on this. While trading him is still not the best solution it might be the only solution with that bloated Ego Cutler has in his head.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
No one can question Cutler's arm strength, but he hasn't shown the accuracy, decision-making or leadership skills McDaniels will need to turn the Broncos into the Patriots of the West.

According to Garcia you are!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler

Do your job.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
I hate that we're now trying to be the Patriots of the West (supposedly). **** the Patriots.
Yes, shame on the fact that we are trying to be like the team that won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, won the division title pretty much every year, had a 16-0 season, assembled the number one offense in NFL history, and has clearly been the best team of the decade. Who in their right mind would want to do all of those things? I would much rather have one playoff win and a bunch of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons than that.

And no, we should not, under ANY circumstance part with Jay Cutler. He is clearly one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and you should feel fortunate to have one of the best, not try to run him out of town.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:

Accuracy is debateable IMO but leadership (ZERO) and decision making (average on a good day) are facts.

Holy Crap I just agreed with Popps
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:

You were. You never liked him from draft day. At least those that don't like McDaniels aren't cowards and will say so straight up.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Cutler has proven he can carry the team with marginal talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Sure he needs to cut down on his turnovers, but next year will be year 3 of starting. Other than Jay acting like a baby, why do people all of a sudden think Jay is easily replaceable with anybody?
Short answer: They're dumbasses that can't see the forest for the trees.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
According to Garcia you are!
You don't think he's accurate QB? You don't think he makes good decisions most of the time? Every QB makes bad throws and every QB makes a bad decision. Cutler's pretty damn good. You don't think he has the on field leadership skills? GTFOH. I love the revisionist history.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Accuracy is debateable IMO but leadership (ZERO) and decision making (average on a good day) are facts.
I'm comparing him with someone like, say, McNabb - who has good days, and days where he looks like Magic Johnson with the bounce passes. I think Cutler grades out pretty well on the accuracy scale. His picks I think have come more from locking onto a single receiver (common for a young guy) or trying to squeeze a ball into a spot (common for a strong arm guy).

He has had some Plummer-esque moments, I agree. But, without being in the locker room, I'm not sure how people slam his leadership skills on a team with the worst defense imaginable and no true tailback.

Last edited by DrFate; 03-11-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
You don't think he's accurate QB? You don't think he makes good decisions most of the time? Every QB makes bad throws and every QB makes a bad decision. Cutler's pretty damn good. You don't think he has the on field leadership skills? GTFOH. I love the revisionist history.
No I dont
Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
I'm comparing him with someone like, say, McNabb - who has good days, and days where he looks like Magic Johnson with the bounce passes. I think Cutler grades out pretty well on the accuracy scale.

He has had some Plummer-esque moments, I agree. But, without being in the locker room, I'm not sure how people slam his leadership skills on a team with the worst defense imaginable and no true tailback.
I think it stems from watching our "franchise qb" lower his head and pout when things go bad.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
No I dont
How many 4th quarter comebacks have we seen with him? Maybe not as many as Elway, but there have been several.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
bombay
Ring of Famer

All of the irrelevant overabundance of football 'reporters' have been provided with a reason to live for another day.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
How many 4th quarter comebacks have we seen with him? Maybe not as many as Elway, but there have been several.
My question would be how many has he had that got wiped out because the other team would score easily on our defense?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Um 18 interceptions show he makes bad decisions. His deep throws are extremely inaccurate. His intermediate throws are good and he has amazing arm strength. But go back and watch his pass to a wide open Stokely to win the game. Then come back and talk to me about revisionist history.

Oh and his on field leadership style sucks ass. You are a blind Cutler homer if you think he is a leader on the field.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
No I dont
I disagree, there are numerous 4th quarter comebacks that negate this notion. Same thing with decision making. He's above average in just about every statistical catergory. He slides well in the pocket. Sure he's cocky with that arm of his, but how else is he going to get better than to try the near impossible? Accuracy? I submit that the deep ball is inaccurate, but without knowing the call in the huddle it's hard to say for sure on a few.