The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default Quick Mock Draft, Nothin' Special.

I think we'll go with the "Patriot" Philosophy of building our front seven early and often. With giving guys like Brown and Jennings private workouts, maybe that is indicative of Denver having interest in drafting a running back fairly early. I think the value in this draft is pretty fair, with Jennings at the top of four being the only stretch since he's been pretty impressive in workouts. I think there will be a big run of linebackers (particularly 3-4) somewhere in the first round. I honestly had a tough time putting in players, but I think this would be a solid draft for the team. My hope is that we will trade down and accumulate some more value; but I think this is a solid start. Any combination of NT/DE/OLB can be tossed in with our first three or four picks, add in something else if you'd like too. I just thought this was a solid scheme fit and value draft. I didn't go deep into the seventh round, because I honestly can't truly project value there. After the first three rounds, anything is game really.

Mocky Mocky Mocky

12 - Tyson Jackson, DE - LSU
* Obviously we need help on the defensive front seven. Jackson in my eyes is the only true legitimate 3-4 end in this draft that can have an impact right away. Gilbert would be the other possibility, but he is raw and his value is too ambiguous for me to spend #48 on him; and I think he'll be gone by #79.

48 - Ron Brace, DT - Boston College
* Have an awful feelin' he'd be gone before this, but it'll be close. Justification for this selection would be someone to pair with Fields in a rotation at nose tackle. I think that'd really help us this year, and I think Brace has the potential to develop into a pretty good nose down the line.

79 - Cody Brown, OLB - Connecticut
* Played around everywhere on the DL for Connecticut it seems, but will likely be a 3-4 OLB. Athletic, good in coverage and has long arms. He can get after the quarterback too. The kind of player Nolan loves in his defense. Let's just hope he doesn't bust out like Manny Lawson; but I think this kid has a better head on his shoulder. Also consider Lawrence Sidburry as well, another smaller school guy with a tough mentality and good athleticism. Either would work well here.

110 - Rashad Jennings, RB - Liberty
* Been a fan of Jennings since the process started, I think he'll go higher than this but I'd like to see him here in Denver. Big, strong, productive. If Denver was somehow able to accumulate another second or third rounder, I think you'd see this selection move up into that realm for "realism" with #110 being used elsewhere.

132 - Mohamed Massaquoi, WR - Georgia
* Just a tough player, hard worker and a team leader. Dropsies are the real issue with him, but he seems to do everything else right. He did not run fast at all, so that's why I have him dropping this far (along with the talent I believe is there at WR) -- but I think he's a legitimate #2 receiver at the NFL level.

141 - Domonique Johnson, CB - Jackson State
* Tough, physical, aggressive corner. Should be a good fit to play a lot of the man coverage schemes that will be in Nolan's defense.

172 - Blake Schleuter, C - TCU
* Put him here because Denver recently attended his Pro Day, and he seemed to be impressive. Could go higher, but I think there are about 5-6 other centers who are actually better than him.

208 - BPA

218 - BPA
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Not bad at all. I like it.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

love it Req!!! i really like that Georgia WR
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Love the Schleuter pick. He tore it up at the combine.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Like it!
Although your absolulely crazy sayin that Jackson is the only DE that will have an impact right away. Thats completely wrong.
Also, i think the team should bolster the safety position too, but i do like the Massaquoi and Jennings picks. I just dont know if DEN needs to address those positions instead of bolstering the d-line with more picks. I think DEN needs to overkill the defensive positions and hope some players stick.
Overall, its good, man.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I meant in regards to a 3-4 defense. I don't see any other 3-4 ends out there really that could do what Jackson could do for us.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I like it. I don't know if Massaquoi and Jennings will fall that far though.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I meant in regards to a 3-4 defense. I don't see any other 3-4 ends out there really that could do what Jackson could do for us.
These are guys i think are "gamers" in the 3-4. Guys that will get drafted and make an impact for their respective team in their rookie season. I think if they go to a team with a specific defensive scheme in place and a coach that can really coach them up, they could really be impact players their rookie seasons.
I also think DEN has this in Nolan.

Mitch King, Iowa
Height: 6-2. Weight: 280.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.
1/9/09: Mitch King's 15.5 TFL were pretty impressive. He had 54 tackles and two sacks on the year.

11/16/08: Should be a solid 3-4 reserve in the NFL for a number of years.

5/7/08: Mitch King had 4.5 sacks in 2007, and is looking like a solid, mid-round defensive end in the 2009 Draft.

Phillip Hunt, Houston
Height: 6-2. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Projected Round (2009): 4.
1/9/09: A pretty obvious choice as an All-Conference USA first-teamer, Phillip Hunt registered 18.5 TFL and 14 sacks this season.

11/16/08: One of the hottest defenders in the nation this year, Phillip Hunt has 13.5 TFL and 10 sacks in nine games.

(Lots of scouts and analysts feel this guy could be a serious sleeper)
Brandon Williams, Texas Tech
Height: 6-5. Weight: 262.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Combine 40 Time: 4.90.
Benchx225: . Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 4-5.
1/14/09: Brandon Williams has chosen to declare for the 2009 NFL Draft a year early. I can't say I agree with this. Unless he has an amazing combine, Williams has no shot to be a Day 1 pick. Williams recorded 15.5 TFL and 13 sacks as a junior.

Kyle Moore, USC
Height: 6-5. Weight: 272.
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
1/9/09: Managed 9.5 TFL and five sacks as a senior.

5/7/08: Starting 10 games at defensive end for the Trojans, and managed two sacks and two picks.

2007: Kyle Moore appeared in all 13 games as a sophomore, recording five tackles. Moore, listed as a starter for 2007, has a pretty solid 40 at his impressive 275-pound frame.

(Heres a guy who could be a real player if someone like Nolan could coach him for the 3-4. 7th round no less! Look at the height, weight!!!!)
Zach Potter, Nebraska
Height: 6-7. Weight: 279.
Projected 40 Time: 4.93.
Combine 40 Time: 4.92.
Benchx225: 20. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 7.
1/9/09: Zach Potter, an All-Big XII honorable mention, had 12 TFL, 5.5 sacks, seven passes broken up and two picks in 2008.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

I think Montrose got me looking into this guy. I cant remember but i think it was Montrose. Anyways, he is another sleeper guy that some folks think could be a impact player right away in the right system.

Michael Bennett, Texas A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 274.
Projected 40 Time: 4.81.
Combine 40 Time: 5.02.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.86.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 36.5.
Projected Round (2009): 7-FA.

1/9/09: Let's hope the Lions don't confuse him with Michael Turner.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

I think you reached for both our first and second round picks... Just my opinion...
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: