The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Montrose's Mock Draft v1

My first mock draft, no trades, I'll probably have another version before the draft:

1) Lions: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest – They could go QB or OT but at this point I’ll project they take the best player available.
2) Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia – Orlando Pace is done and Monroe would be a natural fit to slide in at LT.
3) Chiefs: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas – Orakpo is shooting up boards and I think a pass-rusher is too much for Scott Pioli to pass up.
4) Seahawks: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College – I wouldn’t be shocked to see them go QB but my guess is they take the safe pick.
5) Browns: Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State – I anticipate this will be a heavy “run on” 3-4 OLB’s year in the 1st round.
6) Bengals: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor – The Bengals need an OT badly and Smith is a great value at the #6 pick.
7) Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – I can’t see Al Davis passing on this speed to pair with JaMarcus Russell’s arm.
8) Jaguars: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – Matt Jones and Reggie Williams in trouble and might not be back.
9) Packers: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State – Jenkins fits the mold of physical, man-cover CB’s the Packers love.
10) 49ers: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia – Even with Alex Smith redoing his deal, I doubt San Francisco can pass on Stafford.
11) Bills: Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State – The Bills could use a dynamic pass rusher and the undersized Maybin fits their scheme.
12) Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State – The New England philosophy is to build from the inside-out; a pass rusher or receiver are also options.
13) Redskins: Brian Cushing, OLB, Southern California – Losing Jason Taylor and Marcus Washington creates a need in the front seven.
14) Saints: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri: After spending FA money at the CB position, Hood joins Sedrick Ellis in the middle.
15) Texans: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi – Jerry could join Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams and Antonio Smith on a formidable DL.
16) Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California – Gives them an inside thumper and new face of the defense.
17) Jets: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee – Rex Ryan will want plenty of talent for his new front seven and Ayers is a riser.
18) Bears: Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California – It would be hard for the Bears to pass up a possible solution to their QB woes.
19) Buccaneers: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State – Raheem Morris is familiar with the draft’s fastest rising player.
20) Lions: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi – The Lions get their OT nineteen spots later than the #1 pick.
21) Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – With LJ Smith leaving town, Pettigrew would be a nice fit to help immediately.
22) Vikings: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – The Vikings have a need at WR and tried signing T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
23) Patriots: Larry English, OLB, Northern Illinois – With Mike Vrabel gone, the Patriots have an immediate need for a pass rusher.
24) Falcons: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - The Falcons need a CB to replace the departed Domonique Foxworth.
25) Dolphins: Ron Brace, NT, Boston College – Jason Ferguson is getting older so Miami needs a young NT to develop.
26) Ravens: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – With Baltimore making a huge transition at their CB position, Davis is a great pick.
27) Colts: Fili Moala, DT, Southern California – Jim Caldwell could use some size in the middle of this front four.
28) Eagles: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – The Eagles are thrilled to get a talented and powerful complement to Brian Westbrook.
29) Giants: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland – With Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer’s futures in question, a receiver is needed.
30) Titans: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina - They could also take a DT but Nicks helps strengthen a weak WR corps.
31) Cardinals: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech – Johnson is a very physically talented player to help replace Antonio Smith.
32) Steelers: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona – The Steelers could use help on the OL, DL and at WR. The guess here is they take the best player available.

Last edited by montrose; 03-11-2009 at 01:00 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

good stuff...I like the guys you have moving up into the first

I'm not an expert but a few things I'd change:
1. I don't see Detroit going LB at #1
2. Seahawks take Jason Smith if available to replace Walter Jones
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I want Detroit to take Curry just so the Chiefs won't get him. Oh well.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i want to see Detroit take Crabtree, simply because it will be hilarious to see them repeating old mistakes
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

27) Colts: Fili Moala, DT, Southern California – Ron Meeks could use some size in the middle of this front four.

Dude, you are so on top of things that is funny! Ron Meeks is in CAR and Larry Coyer is in INDY as DC now!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I don't want to see Rey in SD
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
27) Colts: Fili Moala, DT, Southern California – Ron Meeks could use some size in the middle of this front four.

Dude, you are so on top of things that is funny! Ron Meeks is in CAR and Larry Coyer is in INDY as DC now!
Whoops, I meant Jim Caldwell! I'll edit...
Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

As someone who is drafting for the Dolphins, I can tell you they have bigger needs at ILB, Receiver, Corner and RT than at NT. I really think they'll take one of those four positions a few times before they draft "to be groomed" players especially in the first round.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
As someone who is drafting for the Dolphins, I can tell you they have bigger needs at ILB, Receiver, Corner and RT than at NT. I really think they'll take one of those four positions a few times before they draft "to be groomed" players especially in the first round.
You might be right, although Parcells is the type that values a great NT - so that's one reason I put Brace there.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Redskins are looking offense line help and foremost.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

i like Sanchez to the Bears --nice draft (that is who i picked in the OMANE draft)
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

nice write up montrose, I like how different it is in many regards to other mocks out there.

I'd envision the eagles taking Knowshon over Chris Beanie though. What are your thoughts that made you go with Beanie Wells over Moreno?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
My first mock draft, no trades, I'll probably have another version before the draft:

1) Lions: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest – They could go QB or OT but at this point I’ll project they take the best player available.
2) Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia – Orlando Pace is done and Monroe would be a natural fit to slide in at LT.
3) Chiefs: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas – Orakpo is shooting up boards and I think a pass-rusher is too much for Scott Pioli to pass up.
4) Seahawks: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College – I wouldn’t be shocked to see them go QB but my guess is they take the safe pick.
5) Browns: Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State – I anticipate this will be a heavy “run on” 3-4 OLB’s year in the 1st round.
6) Bengals: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor – The Bengals need an OT badly and Smith is a great value at the #6 pick.
7) Raiders: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – I can’t see Al Davis passing on this speed to pair with JaMarcus Russell’s arm.
8) Jaguars: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech – Matt Jones and Reggie Williams in trouble and might not be back.
9) Packers: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State – Jenkins fits the mold of physical, man-cover CB’s the Packers love.
10) 49ers: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia – Even with Alex Smith redoing his deal, I doubt San Francisco can pass on Stafford.
11) Bills: Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State – The Bills could use a dynamic pass rusher and the undersized Maybin fits their scheme.
12) Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State – The New England philosophy is to build from the inside-out; a pass rusher or receiver are also options.
13) Redskins: Brian Cushing, OLB, Southern California – Losing Jason Taylor and Marcus Washington creates a need in the front seven.
14) Saints: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri: After spending FA money at the CB position, Hood joins Sedrick Ellis in the middle.
15) Texans: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi – Jerry could join Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams and Antonio Smith on a formidable DL.
16) Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern California – Gives them an inside thumper and new face of the defense.
17) Jets: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee – Rex Ryan will want plenty of talent for his new front seven and Ayers is a riser.
18) Bears: Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California – It would be hard for the Bears to pass up a possible solution to their QB woes.
19) Buccaneers: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State – Raheem Morris is familiar with the draft’s fastest rising player.
20) Lions: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi – The Lions get their OT nineteen spots later than the #1 pick.
21) Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – With LJ Smith leaving town, Pettigrew would be a nice fit to help immediately.
22) Vikings: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – The Vikings have a need at WR and tried signing T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
23) Patriots: Larry English, OLB, Northern Illinois – With Mike Vrabel gone, the Patriots have an immediate need for a pass rusher.
24) Falcons: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - The Falcons need a CB to replace the departed Domonique Foxworth.
25) Dolphins: Ron Brace, NT, Boston College – Jason Ferguson is getting older so Miami needs a young NT to develop.
26) Ravens: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – With Baltimore making a huge transition at their CB position, Davis is a great pick.
27) Colts: Fili Moala, DT, Southern California – Jim Caldwell could use some size in the middle of this front four.
28) Eagles: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – The Eagles are thrilled to get a talented and powerful complement to Brian Westbrook.
29) Giants: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland – With Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer’s futures in question, a receiver is needed.
30) Titans: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina - They could also take a DT but Nicks helps strengthen a weak WR corps.
31) Cardinals: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech – Johnson is a very physically talented player to help replace Antonio Smith.
32) Steelers: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona – The Steelers could use help on the OL, DL and at WR. The guess here is they take the best player available.
I'd love to see Curry got to Detroit and help turn that franchise around. I also like Wells going to the Eagles, they need a RB.

I see that Knowshaun Moreno is a no show in the first round. Whoever gets him in the second round is getting good value.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
What are your thoughts that made you go with Beanie Wells over Moreno?
I thought Beanie would be a better compliment to Westbrook as from what I've read he's quite physical.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I thought Beanie would be a better compliment to Westbrook as from what I've read he's quite physical.
But his hands aren't that good. Wouldn't a back that can catch be of more value to the eagles?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I really like Wells. I agree with montrose is that he's the best overall RB in the game. He's gonna be alot like another RB out of Ohio State: Eddie George.

I loved Eddie George, he just brought it in every game. Wells reminds me of him, alot.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
You might be right, although Parcells is the type that values a great NT - so that's one reason I put Brace there.
Has he ever gone after a great NT? Which btw, would be a stretch placing Brace in that category...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Has he ever gone after a great NT? Which btw, would be a stretch placing Brace in that category...
I think it'd be a huge stretch putting Brace there since he looks like a borderline 1st rounder.

Didn't Parcells make Ferguson a priority with the Jets and Cowboys when he was considered one of the league's best NT's (since there were fewer 3-4 teams at the time)? Anyhow, I posted the original comment based on an interview with Parcells on Sirius last week when he said the NT has to be the most valued position on the field.

Last edited by montrose; 03-15-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: