The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Default D.J. Williams playing Sam in Nolan's Defence?

What do you think of D.j playing the Sam. I know Williams would rank up a ton of statitics as a 3-4 inside linebacker but might be the best player on the team for Nolan 3-4 Sam position.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i think we would be better off getting Cushing or Matthews for that position
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think he would hate it. History shows this is probably the most important position in the 3-4 defense outside of the nose tackle. You need to absolutely have one of your best players here.

I don't think DJ is even interested in this. Plus, he isn't very good at rushing the passer IMO.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

I don't care where he plays as long as he plays better than he did last year.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i think we would be better off getting Cushing or Matthews for that position
Yeah, draft Cushing for the SAM, and then get C.Mathews for the JACK. And if Mathews is a pipedream then get Connor Barwin. The 3-4/DEN as a defense NEEDS MOTOR GUYS for those positions. DJ.....ah no.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
What do you think of D.j playing the Sam. I know Williams would rank up a ton of statitics as a 3-4 inside linebacker but might be the best player on the team for Nolan 3-4 Sam position.
Not unless he puts on 30 lbs in the offseason.

Do you have NFL network? If so, they are showing lots of last season's games these days. Watch a few teams that run the 3-4. Look for the SOLB. Most of these guys are tall, athletic D-ends that can backpedal. However, the most important thing is that they have to be able to create a pass rush. Secondly, they have to get a "push" at the line and stop an outside run play. Finally, they need to be able to drop back into coverage (basically 5-10 yards).

I like DJ in open space, but up to this point, he has never pushed anyone around. When he hits a TE or OT, it's a brick wall.

Elvis and Jarvis will probably both try WOLB and SOLB, but I like the idea of them converting Darrell Reid to SOLB. At 6'2" and 288 he's almost ideal for this spot. Somewhere in the 270-280 range is great.

DJ almost certainly gets pegged as an ILB in Nolan's scheme.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

I could see it as the SOLB needs to be a jack of all trades type in the 3-4 for Nolan's system. We won't play a system like Dallas or SD where its more a 5-2 front with both OLBs rushing the passer.

From a "filling the holes" standpoint DJ at SOLB is probably our best solution on the roster right now, but I think he's a better productivity fit at the WILB. So thats the big question. Can we get someone who is a better fit at the SOLB than DJ, so that we can afford to have him inside?

Whatever it is, Nolan has seen something he likes in DJ because they could've dropped him before paying his roster bonus this off-season and while it would've been a big cap hit it would've been somewhat mitigated. Instead they turned that bonus into a guarantee that pro-rates throughout his deal.

If we could get Cushing for SOLB that would be a nice upgrade. I really like Connor Barwin at the SOLB (former TE, he's got real good hands and a insider's view as to what TEs look to do in the passing game) but he'll take a couple years to get polished into something you'd want starting for you.

Aaron Curry is obviously the ideal fit, but we have pretty much zero chance to get him.

Its a tough spot to fill. This is why in the mock draft this year I gave up a 2nd to jump up and grab Curry, because the SOLB and NT are the two most important positions in the 3-4 front and its rare to find a stud for either one. This class doesn't look to offer that at NT, but Curry is the best 3-4 SOLB project possibly of all time.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I could see it as the SOLB needs to be a jack of all trades type in the 3-4 for Nolan's system. We won't play a system like Dallas or SD where its more a 5-2 front with both OLBs rushing the passer.

From a "filling the holes" standpoint DJ at SOLB is probably our best solution on the roster right now, but I think he's a better productivity fit at the WILB. So thats the big question. Can we get someone who is a better fit at the SOLB than DJ, so that we can afford to have him inside?

Whatever it is, Nolan has seen something he likes in DJ because they could've dropped him before paying his roster bonus this off-season and while it would've been a big cap hit it would've been somewhat mitigated. Instead they turned that bonus into a guarantee that pro-rates throughout his deal.

If we could get Cushing for SOLB that would be a nice upgrade. I really like Connor Barwin at the SOLB (former TE, he's got real good hands and a insider's view as to what TEs look to do in the passing game) but he'll take a couple years to get polished into something you'd want starting for you.

Aaron Curry is obviously the ideal fit, but we have pretty much zero chance to get him.

Its a tough spot to fill. This is why in the mock draft this year I gave up a 2nd to jump up and grab Curry, because the SOLB and NT are the two most important positions in the 3-4 front and its rare to find a stud for either one. This class doesn't look to offer that at NT, but Curry is the best 3-4 SOLB project possibly of all time.
This?
SAM CUSHING
WILL DJ
MIKE DAVIS/LARSEN
JACK BARWIN
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

and where do Doom and Moss fit into all this?
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplelefthook View Post
and where do Doom and Moss fit into all this?

Well......................BYE..................... .....
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post

Well......................BYE..................... .....

I certainly could see that with Moss, we have clearly seen that the new regime has no qualms releasing guys they don't rate highly (especially on the defensive side of the ball). Wouldn't have thought that Doom would suffer the same fate as Moss
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As I have stated many times, to run an effective 3-4 defense, you need 2 OLB's who are natural type pass rushers since they are typically going up against OT's when they come on the blitz.

Blitzing type LB's are better as ILB's in a 3-4, which is what I think Williams would fit best in, if at all, in this scheme.

I'm not sold Dumervil can make the transition to OLB, but it's worth giving him a chance in camp and see how he does.

Maybe Moss can make the transition to OLB. He'll have to to remain on this team.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
This?
SAM CUSHING
WILL DJ
MIKE DAVIS/LARSEN
JACK BARWIN
We can't run Barwin out from day one and expect any success. He's only played DE one season, prior to that he wasn't even a defensive player. He needs a TON of coaching and time on the bench learning before being put in as a regular starter.

Cushing I like but not at #12. If we could move back to the later teens I'd be ok with it, but he just doesn't have the ceiling or productivity for a top 15 pick in my personal opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at Clint Sintim for one OLB spot, he's polished and ready to go from day one. Not great in coverage so he might be limited to the WOLB to some degree though. I'd actually like the value of James Laurinaitis in the 2nd as a SOLB or WILB quite a bit as well. With #12 if we can't get Curry or Raji I could live with Orakpo (just because he's such a helacious athlete, though I hate UT guys) or Everette Brown, but I'm not crazy about either one.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
We can't run Barwin out from day one and expect any success. He's only played DE one season, prior to that he wasn't even a defensive player. He needs a TON of coaching and time on the bench learning before being put in as a regular starter.

Cushing I like but not at #12. If we could move back to the later teens I'd be ok with it, but he just doesn't have the ceiling or productivity for a top 15 pick in my personal opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at Clint Sintim for one OLB spot, he's polished and ready to go from day one. Not great in coverage so he might be limited to the WOLB to some degree though. I'd actually like the value of James Laurinaitis in the 2nd as a SOLB or WILB quite a bit as well. With #12 if we can't get Curry or Raji I could live with Orakpo (just because he's such a helacious athlete, though I hate UT guys) or Everette Brown, but I'm not crazy about either one.
I am hoping one of these QBs (Sanchez/Freeman) becomes a HOT commodity, and a team is willing to trade up to get one. (TB NYJ) then DEN could take Cushing in the late teens and Barwin in the 2nd. BUT! if DEN can get another 3rd in the trade back, it would be great to turn around and use those 2 3rds to immediately trade back up and get C.Mathews, who i think could be a JACK starter from day 1! It would require some wheeling and dealing.
I still like CUSHING/BARWIN with Doom rotating in with Barwin at JACK.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
As I have stated many times, to run an effective 3-4 defense, you need 2 OLB's who are natural type pass rushers since they are typically going up against OT's when they come on the blitz.

Blitzing type LB's are better as ILB's in a 3-4, which is what I think Williams would fit best in, if at all, in this scheme.

I'm not sold Dumervil can make the transition to OLB, but it's worth giving him a chance in camp and see how he does.

Maybe Moss can make the transition to OLB. He'll have to to remain on this team.
The fact that the coaches have already talked personally to Elvis is very interesting. When he left the meeting he said he felt encouraged/excited about the changes. Hopefully, the coaches laid out their list of challenges that he will need to overcome.

Jarvis is an open book in my opinion. We should certainly get a feel by the time TC rolls around. He has the size and speed, but we haven't watched him play enough to get a feel how he will do. If he can get up to (and stay at) 260 lbs, you would say he is the perfect size for SOLB. His asset is his size/speed, so he might just do really well, especially with some decent coaching.

Either way, we still need lots of depth at any LB position. I expect both Elvis and Jarvis to make the roster unless one holds particular trade value. They both could take a "year to learn" before the team cuts ties with them since they are both still on their rookie contracts.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Clint Sintim might be the best potential SILB in the draft (assuming Curry is drafted by a 4-3 team). He's probably avialable in the second and maybe avialable in the third.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: