The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default Interesting take on McDaniels

I for one cannot see this situation any differently.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/fo..._mcdaniel.html

What the heck is Josh McDaniels doing?

And we thought Eric Mangini was alienating his new team.

Check out this column by Dave Krieger of The Denver Post talking about new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' interesting ways. Turns out the 32-year old who has never been a head coach and just took over for a two-time Super Bowl champ thinks his system is bigger than any player on the roster.

Who does he think he is, Bill Walsh? These Bill Belichick disciples have such egos he must prop them up as genius assistants around the league knowing they'll fail with conference rivals.

McDaniels signed 12 free agents in eight days, and according to Krieger's column, 11 of them are in the "average starter" or "good backup" category in the Scouts Inc. free agent ratings a group that includes running backs Correll Buckhalter, who has had knee issues his entire career, J.J. Arrington, who Krieger heard may have been on crutches during his visit to Denver, and LaMont Jordan, who has played in just 29 games the last three seasons. Strength in numbers, I guess.

The only free agent the Broncos signed in the "good player" category was Brian Dawkins, who is just two years younger than another Pro Bowl safety the Broncos used to employ.

Aside from his questionable signings, McDaniels is not making nice with quarterback Jay Cutler. Personally, I think Cutler is the second coming of Brett Favre (which some may think is a good thing, but I don't). Yet that's no reason for McDaniels to try and trade him for his former New England pupil Matt Cassel.

And many are opining that Cutler should quit his whining and stick to football.

Said Ron Jaworski to the Denver Post: "Jay reacted so negatively. I'm not sure if that's some sort of immaturity he has to get over. This is the business of football. Coaches talk all the time, general managers talk all the time . . . Really only about 1 percent of all that talk ever leads to anything getting done."

But do all those hypotheticals get made public? It seems to me McDaniels is the one acting like a child wanting to bring all of his toys with him to a new town after leaving the old one (on his own volition, no less). Doesn't work that way, Josh.

And now people are talking about Denver as a potential landing spot for T.O., while half the league has already said it doesn't want the mercurial receiver.

Wow. Good luck, Mr. McDaniels. You're going to need it.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Jaws writes for the Post now. Interesting.

This article is stupid.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

I don't concur. If I'm going to succeed or fail based on the performance of others--as a coach inevitably does--then I'm gonna win with MY plan and i'm gonna lose with MY plan. I don't think Josh is signing people just to look busy. He has a vision of how his team should look, and so he's remaking a team that has already shown it can fail.

Do you think Bellichick , Parcells, or even Shanahan would do anything but insert his players and his system? Shanahan brought his 'toys' with him from San Fran because they helped him succeed. McD's doing the same thing. To do any less would be to shortchange your chances for success, IMO. I say let the guy get his players and system in place and let him establish the culture he wants at Dove Valley, then watch him either succeed or fail. That is all.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

This article is neither timely nor interesting. Except for the Jaws quote. Perhaps Jay will listen to Jaws.

Eh, probably not.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

We shall see how great McDip**** is. He was brought in to win and be better than 8-8 so if we dont at least make the playoffs this year than i think we kind of know whats up.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

So basically, everyone in the football business thinks Jay Cutler needs to get over himself and stop being a biotch, while the mouth breathing ninnies of the fanworld think Josh McDaniels is a tyrant who was dispatched to Denver by Bill Belichek to corrupt the competition.

As sad as it is, the majority of the FA signings will probably be upgrades, though I think we went a little overboard with the running backs.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

When was this written? TO signed with Buff over the weekend.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
We shall see how great McDip**** is. He was brought in to win and be better than 8-8 so if we dont at least make the playoffs this year than i think we kind of know whats up.
Bowlen expects a SB every year so do I.

I am also expecting new a young 32 year old 1st time HC every 2-3 years because everyone knows a 1st time rookie HC is the trend now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

McDaniels signed 12 free agents in eight days, and according to Krieger's column, 11 of them are in the "average starter" or "good backup" category in the Scouts Inc. free agent ratings

Scouts inc....?!!

F'N
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
So basically, everyone in the football business thinks Jay Cutler needs to get over himself and stop being a biotch, while the mouth breathing ninnies of the fanworld think Josh McDaniels is a tyrant who was dispatched to Denver by Bill Belichek to corrupt the competition.

As sad as it is, the majority of the FA signings will probably be upgrades, though I think we went a little overboard with the running backs.
They will all be upgrades, which is pretty damn sad, but it'll hopefully get the D to a level of moderate respectability.

And I don't think there is really such thing as going overboard on RBs. We saw last year that in a competitive environment you'll probably lose a couple of them before the games even start counting. Then all it takes is one bad cut or cheap tackle and you're looking for another horse. We've got what, six RBs now? Hillis, Torian, Young, Buchalter, Arrington, and Jordan. We're probably hoping to have at least four on the active roster for the season so I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted or signed one more before the start of camp.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post

Actually I think the point of the article is that both are true, at least regarding McDaniels/Belichick assistants and their ludicrous egos and Cutler needing to man up and accept what happened so the team can move on.

This guy should know Belichick and his assistants, he is the longtime beat writer for the Jets
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Jaws writes for the Post now. Interesting.

This article is stupid.
The article is stupid because it points out the obvious about McDaniels? Glauber knows of what he speaks
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
The article is stupid because it points out the obvious about McDaniels? Glauber knows of what he speaks
It's stupid because it cites Jaws as a Denver Post writer, therefore losing all credibility.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I wonder if McDaniels came from another team if there would be as much of a retarded overreaction to this from those who have already come up with nicknames and what not. I bet if he didn't have patriots on his resume the ridiculous rants would be minimal.

Oh and this article is just plain tired. Gosh a coach wanting to use the system he based his success on.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Maybe if he manages to use his system with those pro-bowl players it might not be an issue. But throwing the baby out with the bathwater doesn't sit well with some of us. So much love for a coach that hasn't won a game yet, and so much distaste for the starting QB. Some of you are starting to sound like wolf did about Shanny.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I wonder if McDaniels came from another team if there would be as much of a retarded overreaction to this from those who have already come up with nicknames and what not. I bet if he didn't have patriots on his resume the ridiculous rants would be minimal.

Oh and this article is just plain tired. Gosh a coach wanting to use the system he based his success on.

Nah, even if he wasnt a Pat he would get a nickname. Shanarat, McDip****, so on.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

McDaniels isn't a clone?
He's just one of many pup's out of old Belichick and doesn't guarantee us championship.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
It's stupid because it cites Jaws as a Denver Post writer, therefore losing all credibility.
Umm no it doesn't. It cites Jaws as someone the Denver Post interviewed.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
And we thought Eric Mangini was alienating his new team.
Sometimes teams need to be gutted, and a proper chain of command needs to be established.

Quote:
\ Turns out the 32-year old who has never been a head coach and just took over for a two-time Super Bowl champ thinks his system is bigger than any player on the roster.
Those Superbowls were won over a decade ago, and Shanahan did the exact same kind of housecleaning when he got to town.

Quote:
Who does he think he is, Bill Walsh? These Bill Belichick disciples have such egos.
Actually, it was Shanahan who brought the Bill Walsh mindset to Denver, not McDaniels. Seemed to work out O.K. for him.

Quote:
McDaniels signed 12 free agents in eight days, and according to Krieger's column, 11 of them are in the "average starter" or "good backup" category in the Scouts Inc. free agent ratings a group that includes running backs Correll Buckhalter, who has had knee issues his entire career, J.J. Arrington, who Krieger heard may have been on crutches during his visit to Denver, and LaMont Jordan, who has played in just 29 games the last three seasons. Strength in numbers, I guess..
I suggest this "writer" take a look back at Mike Shanahan's early signings in Denver. Many were underrated role-players, just as we've signed.

Besides, what's alternative to improving a crappy team... doing nothing? Wasting your entire nut on one player?

Quote:

Said Ron Jaworski to the Denver Post: "Jay reacted so negatively. I'm not sure if that's some sort of immaturity he has to get over. This is the business of football. Coaches talk all the time, general managers talk all the time . . . Really only about 1 percent of all that talk ever leads to anything getting done."
Ron is only like the 10th pro to come out and say this exact same thing. Yet, people around here want to side with a pouty, snot-nosed kid who's holed himself up in his room with mental owies.

Quote:
I
And now people are talking about Denver as a potential landing spot for T.O., while half the league has already said it doesn't want the mercurial receiver.

Wow. Good luck, Mr. McDaniels. You're going to need it.
Well, TO didn't land in Denver, so I guess this writer's last chance at making a point failed miserably.

Talk about a useless article.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Nah, even if he wasnt a Pat he would get a nickname. Shanarat, McDip****, so on.
Thats true I guess I just never sunk to that level for the coach of my Denver Broncos.....
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Thats true I guess I just never sunk to that level for the coach of my Denver Broncos.....
All depends on who you are and how good the Coach was. I personally never used the Shanarat nickname but then again he at least proved something. But others (wolf, etc) obviously felt otherwise.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Exactly people like Wolf used those. You would think people would at least wait until they see how McD does on the field before lowering themselves to the level of Wolf.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Exactly people like Wolf used those. You would think people would at least wait until they see how McD does on the field before lowering themselves to the level of Wolf.

No worries there, if he proves me wrong he can have his last name back. I just dont like crowning somebody Champion until they've actually done it. With the way McDittles has handled this offseason with Cutler he deserves the nickname for now. When and IF he proves me wrong we can negotiate his name change.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Seems to me Jay is the one who made it public.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
No worries there, if he proves me wrong he can have his last name back. I just dont like crowning somebody Champion until they've actually done it. With the way McDittles has handled this offseason with Cutler he deserves the nickname for now. When and IF he proves me wrong we can negotiate his name change.
So by calling someone by their actual name its crowning them? At least McDaniels has kept this issue out of the media until he talks to his petulant QB Cutleaf.