The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default 2005 AFC Championship - Some Perspective

With all the talk about Cutler, I think we as Broncos fans really need to take a look at what got us here....

That day we realized that the QB of the future was not in a Broncos uniform and that it was going to have to be addressed in the draft or via free agency...somewhere amongst the two lost fumbles the two floating interceptions and just a total lack of "it", Jake Plummer played himself almost off the roster...

I remember watching this game and being down 10-0 before even finishing my first beer....Plummer never gave us a chance and Shanahan decided at at some point during that game that the Plummer era was over...

the fumbles during wild scrambles, balls floating in the air with no direction and just a feeling of "oh no" whenever he dropped back is something we had become used to....we are a little spoiled now and shipping Cutler out might not be the best option, even if he is b****ing and moaning all off-season..

just remember what we had before and where it got us
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All i remember is Champ not intercepting that pass.

If Champ gets that Pick 6 Broncos are Super Bowl champions and Shanahan still has his job and HOF election wrapped up.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

As poorly as Jake played that day, Cowher and his staff completely outcoached Shanny and company. They had a great gameplan and deserved to win. That game still haunts my dreams man...
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post

If Champ gets that Pick 6 Broncos are Super Bowl champions and Shanahan still has his job and HOF election wrapped up.
I just watched the video highlights from the game....

Big Plays:

Steelers first drive - 3rd and 3 at the fifty....Big Ben out of the shotgun, throws an out pattern to Ward and Champ reads it perfectly...it bounces off his helmet and Ward catches it for a first down....Steelers get a field goal.

Next possession Plummer fumbles inside our 35....Steelers get a TD

Down 17-3 with 1:55 left in the half...Plummer throws an interception...a horrible pass intended for Rod Smith....Steelers score before the half to go up 24-3...GAME OVER

Down 27-10 beginning of the 4th quarter...another Plummer pick

Down 27-17....with 6:30 left....we are still in the GAME!!! Plummer fumble....game over
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
As poorly as Jake played that day, Cowher and his staff completely outcoached Shanny and company. They had a great gameplan and deserved to win. That game still haunts my dreams man...
keeping Hines Ward back to help in blitz protection was a brilliant move by Cowher and company.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
try watching the highlights.....i just lost my lunch

looking at the Play by Play, third downs were just downright heartwrenching for our defense....

10-16...WOW...and i think all of our stops were in the second half
Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That was the most painful home game in Bronco history for me (much worse than the Jacksonville playoff upset in the 90's, and I was at both games). I was so confident the Broncos would win, given their success at home and with Big Ben having an injured hand. Rothlisberger executed the Steeler game plan very well that day - he played much worse 2 weeks later in the Super Bowl.

While Plummer played poorly I still say the defense lost that game (putting the Broncos in a big hole early).
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
That was the most painful home game in Bronco history for me (much worse than the Jacksonville playoff upset in the 90's, and I was at both games). I was so confident the Broncos would win, given their success at home and with Big Ben having an injured hand. Rothlisberger executed the Steeler game plan very well that day - he played much worse 2 weeks later in the Super Bowl.

While Plummer played poorly I still say the defense lost that game (putting the Broncos in a big hole early).
I remembered it the same way....

but when you look back, Jake actually threw critically important interceptions and fumbled every time we made a comeback or got a stop
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post

I remember losing to Pittsburgh in, if memory serves, was Elways first playoff game. I think Hoge had a big day that day. That was also agonizing. People dont remember it as vividly now though because a) it was over 20 years ago and b) we went to the SB not long after that.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

What we had was a team that could win games. We haven't had it since.

Anyone who thinks the loss that day was all on the QB is painfully unaware of what they were watching. (Though, Plummer was clearly unable to handle Pittsburgh's defense.)

The fumble that changed the game was a forced fumble, forced by one of Pittsburgh's many dominant defenders.

We had none of those, so Pittsburgh stuff the ball up our asses from the opening whistle until the game was over.

You think Jay Cutler would have saved us that day?

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
I just watched the video highlights from the game....

Big Plays:

Steelers first drive - 3rd and 3 at the fifty....Big Ben out of the shotgun, throws an out pattern to Ward and Champ reads it perfectly...it bounces off his helmet and Ward catches it for a first down....Steelers get a field goal.

Next possession Plummer fumbles inside our 35....Steelers get a TD

Down 17-3 with 1:55 left in the half...Plummer throws an interception...a horrible pass intended for Rod Smith....Steelers score before the half to go up 24-3...GAME OVER

Down 27-10 beginning of the 4th quarter...another Plummer pick

Down 27-17....with 6:30 left....we are still in the GAME!!! Plummer fumble....game over
I still remember a play where I could swear Parker fumbled the ball but they said he was down. Foxworth also had an int in his hands in the endzone on the first drive.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post

That's one of the things I'll always remember. Champ got worked for two TD's in that game also. Pitt worked him like a cheap whore.

It was clear Denver would struggle with Jake at QB, though.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

For me it wasn't the Pitt loss in 2005, it was all the Indy embarrasements the years before that.

Plummer didn't play well the majority of 2005. I remember they were beating down the Eagles that year but Jake threw an INT and I started thinking how many points it would take the Eagles to come back if Jake threw another INT or fumbled.

He was a good stop gap, he just didn't want to give the team 100% or work hard to get better. Had he showed up to all the offseason work and tried to get better then we would not have Cutler. PERIOD (to quote McyD)

Moxie is nice when you have it but I would rather have a player that can execute over playing with Moxie any day.

And yes Pops I do think we could come back and win with Cutler, John would have pulled that game out with his eyes closed.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
We had none of those, so Pittsburgh stuff the ball up our asses from the opening whistle until the game was over.
What a horrible image.

I remember how pathetic the defensive play calling was that day, how many times we sent 6 or 7 man blitzes and the Steelers sat back in max protect, giving Big Ben easy completions.

Coyer got his ass absolutely handed to him that day, even moreso than Jake.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I also remember arguing with Med the next day about Coyer and his D calls.

Coyer could not adjust his gameplans. It was always painfully obvious before he made an adjustment and by then it was too late.

I am not sure if Med ever forgave me.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Our defensive gameplan was absolutely horrible. 12 yard cushions, blitzing into max protect. Ugh. Just horrid.
Plummer had a gutsy effort in the 2nd half, I could tell he wanted to win. Say what you will about him, but he was one of the few that actually continued trying there at the end. I remember one play he was running around, got his helmet knocked off and was still fighting for yards. Guy was a gamer. He just made some bonehead plays that didn't help us at all in the beginning.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It was a team loss. We were only down by ten in the third quarter. Jake was responsible for four turnovers. FOUR. When one guy is giving the ball away that much, he's a big reason you lose. But the defense did their part. Champ dropping that int only to see it deflect into Ward's hands for the first down. Then there was foxworth's dropped int and Nick Ferguson's int that went through his hands for the TD. It was like we were just playing like crap across the board.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Our defensive gameplan was absolutely horrible. 12 yard cushions, blitzing into max protect. Ugh. Just horrid.
Plummer had a gutsy effort in the 2nd half, I could tell he wanted to win. Say what you will about him, but he was one of the few that actually continued trying there at the end. I remember one play he was running around, got his helmet knocked off and was still fighting for yards. Guy was a gamer. He just made some bonehead plays that didn't help us at all in the beginning.
Jake comes out stinks the place up for 2 1/2 quarters, we lose but people remember the "gutsy" play he made after the game was in the bag fighting for an extra yard or 2.

You live by the MOXIE you die by lack of MOXIE.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Pitt sure did have a great gameplan. On O they went after Champ early and often, challenged the Broncos best threat and beat him. I'm still pissed off that Champ didn't come through in the biggest game of his career. On D, they throttled Denver's O, they had an answer for everything, mostly from a superb passrush (what a surprise, eh?) Everything went Pitt's way that day. They pretty much took what they wanted.

After the game, Pryce said, "I knew as soon as I walked on the field we would lose." Which was why I was happy to see Pryce go. Too bad Shanny couldn't replace a loser, but he sure did try when he went after Patrick Kerney. Too bad he didn't land Kerney, that would have made a huge difference in the team.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It was a team loss. We were only down by ten in the third quarter. Jake was responsible for four turnovers. FOUR. When one guy is giving the ball away that much, he's a big reason you lose. But the defense did their part. Champ dropping that int only to see it deflect into Ward's hands for the first down. Then there was foxworth's dropped int and Nick Ferguson's int that went through his hands for the TD. It was like we were just playing like crap across the board.
But Jake was straining for those last couple of yards late in the game which were meaningless but showed great MOXIE and HEART even if he did give up the ball easier than a prom date knocked out on GBH.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Pitt sure did have a great gameplan. On O they went after Champ early and often, challenged the Broncos best threat and beat him. I'm still pissed off that Champ didn't come through in the biggest game of his career. On D, they throttled Denver's O, they had an answer for everything, mostly from a superb passrush (what a surprise, eh?) Everything went Pitt's way that day. They pretty much took what they wanted.

After the game, Pryce said, "I knew as soon as I walked on the field we would lose." Which was why I was happy to see Pryce go. Too bad Shanny couldn't replace a loser, but he sure did try when he went after Patrick Kerney. Too bad he didn't land Kerney, that would have made a huge difference in the team.
Champ had to win the game before to get to Pitt. Without that 99 yard INT vs Brady they don't get to host Pitt. I thought Champ played lights out vs Brady the week before.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #22
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post

wow...Pryce said that?? I never heard that quote before...probably because it literally took me 4 months to be able to read about the Broncos again after that game....

my point with the thread was that a lot of peopel on this board (including me) are disregarding Cutler and positioning themselves for another guy....a new draft pick, a guy who doesnt make as many mistakes, basically just SOMEONE, ANYONE else....

but there was a legitimate reason and a thinking that went inot getting Cutler...and going back COULD bring games like this back to Denver...games where we lose before ever getting going

well, like the San Diego game this year...but thats a whole different can of worms to open
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
my point with the thread was that a lot of peopel on this board (including me) are disregarding Cutler and positioning themselves for another guy....a new draft pick, a guy who doesnt make as many mistakes, basically just SOMEONE, ANYONE else....

but there was a legitimate reason and a thinking that went inot getting Cutler...and going back COULD bring games like this back to Denver...games where we lose before ever getting going

well, like the San Diego game this year...but thats a whole different can of worms to open

Well, we can't seem to get in the playoffs. Let's start there.

Pittsburgh is in the playoffs almost every year because they built their team properly. Dominant defense and running game... and then added a smart, tough QB with great intangibles.

We've been going at it ass-backwards for a decade, now. Hopefully that will end with the new regime.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
I remembered it the same way....

but when you look back, Jake actually threw critically important interceptions and fumbled every time we made a comeback or got a stop
Story of his life.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Yeeeep.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote