The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Alternative QB Options

Following this morning's news, what are the Broncos options if they have to go in another direction at QB? I came up with a few, what do you guys think?

1) Go with Chris Simms - Obviously already on the roster, Simms hasn't played in a few seasons but showed potential in that time.

2) Draft a 1st round QB - It's not likely, but possible that either Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez could fall to #12.

3) Draft a mid-round QB - A guy like Josh Freeman, Nate Davis, Rhett Bomar or Graham Harrell could be selected and compete for the job.

4) Look to another free agent - Jeff Garcia and Byron Leftwich are among the guys who could be brought in to compete.

5) Coax a QB out of retirement - Getting Brett Favre would require convincing him to comeback plus appeasing the Jets in a trade. Jake Plummer was bought out by Tampa Bay and is a free agent I believe, who visited Pat Bowlen and Dove Valley last week nonetheless.

6) Make a trade for another QB - Guys who seem like they could be available for the right deal include Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, David Anderson, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart and John Beck.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Get Quinn and Shawn Rogers in here with the Browns 3rd rounder for Cutler....

we get a young QB, and some help up front....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Following this morning's news, what are the Broncos options if they have to go in another direction at QB? I came up with a few, what do you guys think?

1) Go with Chris Simms - Obviously already on the roster, Simms hasn't played in a few seasons but showed potential in that time.

2) Draft a 1st round QB - It's not likely, but possible that either Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez could fall to #12.

3) Draft a mid-round QB - A guy like Josh Freeman, Nate Davis, Rhett Bomar or Graham Harrell could be selected and compete for the job.

4) Look to another free agent - Jeff Garcia and Byron Leftwich are among the guys who could be brought in to compete.

5) Coax a QB out of retirement - Getting Brett Favre would require convincing him to comeback plus appeasing the Jets in a trade. Jake Plummer was bought out by Tampa Bay and is a free agent I believe, who visited Pat Bowlen and Dove Valley last week nonetheless.

6) Make a trade for another QB - Guys who seem like they could be available for the right deal include Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, David Anderson, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart and John Beck.
I think McX will go with Simms and draft a mid to late round QB to groom. It's a typical NE game plan and it worked with Brady.

Simms will run the show and if McX believes the Broncos can win a SB with Simms, they will stick with him. Otherwise, they will draft a QB whom they feel provides the team with the best opportunity to win a SB.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

With Denver's O-Line Many QB's available could be successful. Maybe not at the level that Cutler could be but Successful still.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Get Quinn and Shawn Rogers in here with the Browns 3rd rounder for Cutler....

we get a young QB, and some help up front....
Umm, yeah sure... The Browns best defensive player and an up and comer QB plus a third round quarterback for a disgruntled and oft pissy Jay Cutler. Sounds fair to me...
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

The key is getting a guy who is a decision maker and a leader - the two qualities New England values the most when it comes to QB. If we have to move him, I'd like to see us draft a guy in the mid-rounds, and bring in one of the guys on the trade list plus picks for Jay.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Umm, yeah sure... The Browns best defensive player and an up and comer QB plus a third round quarterback for a disgruntled and oft pissy Jay Cutler. Sounds fair to me...
I think that would be quite realistic actually. That's what a pro-bowl QB is worth.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
hey, people in other threads are throwing around **** like this:

"give him to the Vikings for Adrian Peterson, their 1st and their 2nd"

at least mine holds a little bit of water
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Make Cutler play out the remainder of his contract. If he refuses to, **** his career up permanently.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I think that would be quite realistic actually. That's what a pro-bowl QB is worth.
exactly....we might be forced to give up another pick in that deal but I thought it was pretty feasible
Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I can assure you that Brown's fans disagree.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

http://ballhype.com/story/cutler_traded_to_the_browns/

quick internet search kind of disproves your theory....this selection of Browns fans was actually quite excited with a deal like this

one fan actually says, "have the Broncos lost it?"

so....
Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I haven't seen anything offically saying he isn't meeting with McD
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:

quick internet search kind of disproves your theory....this selection of Browns fans was actually quite excited with a deal like this

so....
Yes I think if they pull the trigger on Cutler they have. And so have about half the fans who think it's a good idea. Be carefull what you wish for.......
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

so....
Interesting how that trade is different than what you proposed... You said Rogers, Quinn and a 3rd rounder for Cutler. That says Rogers and Quinn for Cutler and a 3rd rounder. It's actually quite different.

BTW, I should have said reasonable Browns fans won't agree with you.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I don't want Brady (I'm a closet homo) Quinn.

No. Fuggin. Way.

I don't care if he's Captain Fantastic and can fling the ball a mile, cut on a dime, and simultaneously catch the same ball he just threw. My answer is stil NO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Interesting how that trade is different than what you proposed... You said Rogers, Quinn and a 3rd rounder for Cutler. That says Rogers and Quinn for Cutler and a 3rd rounder. It's actually quite different.

BTW, I should have said reasonable Browns fans won't agree with you.
yes....i swung a pick our way in my proposed deal...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
jonny1
Ahhh, football!

Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

What "news this morning" are we talking about?
jonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Jeff Garcia
Gus Frerotte

Bring in another FA to compete with Simms.

Trade Cutler to Detriot for the 1st overall (may have to do some later pick swapping).

With the #1 overall select the 2009 version of Cutler in Stafford.

Trade the 12th selection and get outta the 1st round in exchange for 2nd round and later round selections.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

listening to KOA news now...
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

1. I strongly believe this won't happen. Simms has no spleen, and that is the good news. The bad news is that not even QB lover Gruden had any use for Simms.

2. You don't trade a young franchise QB for a rookie QB who would not be a 1st round pick in a strong draft. Both Flacco and Ryan would have been selected ahead of Stafford and Sanchez, not to mention the big 3 of the 2006 draft.

3. We could draft a mid round QB, but they all come with HUGE problems and would take years to get ready to perform. See Brady, Romo, Cassel (they all sat behind a good player).

4. There is a reason those guys are not signed already is that they suck. Garcia wasn't even a good QB when he had Owens. Leftwich would make our offensive line look bad, he takes so long to get a throw off that we will be giving up sacks by the barrel.

5. Favre is a goner, we saw last year that he doesn't have it anymore. Plummer could concievably come back now that Shanahan is gone, but do we really want the QB we dumped back?

6. This is the only one I believe in. I just don't know which other team would pull the trigger on a trade. On the list of QBs who have comparable value to Cutler we have: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan (Some a little higher, some a little lower). The Mannings, Brady, Ryan and Roethlisberger are clear untouchable. I don't think anybody would be happy with a Rivers for Cutler trade so that is out. Romo can't be traded because of his contract. Brees and Rodgers could both be traded, but really why would they?

Then we have to look at the group of players of less value, Mcnabb who has an injury history and is old, Bulger who has never been the same since his injury, ditto for Carson Palmer. Delhomme and Hasselbeck have both been close to being shown the door, their value would require at least one 1st round pick to be added to the deal. There is really no reason to trade for a QB who hasn't shown anything, we might as well draft one then.

Matt Schaub is not tradable because of his contract, and is injury prone. Chad Pennington has an injury history and is just a good game manager.

I don't see any team who could pull off the trade except Green Bay. Rodgers is young enough, he has no significant injuries and played well last year and yet Cutler would be an upgrade. Rodgers can be traded because of his contract structure.

Any other team would have to pony up more draft picks than most would consider wise in todays market.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Make Cutler play out the remainder of his contract. If he refuses to, **** his career up permanently.
I agree to an extent. However if the guy refuses to show up for camp or shows up and becomes a problem in the locker room - it's not worth deteriorating the entire organization. This team has so many needs, it's conceivable a Cutler deal could provide assets to help it get better. Especially if you believe that McDaniels can work his magic with another, less physically gifted but better decision making QB.

With all that's going on, and all we know about the way New England conducts business, I have a very hard time believing that Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler will be here long-term. In fact, I could see those guys finding their way to wherever Shanny coaches in 2010. With that in mind, I'd rather not waste this season on players who won't be here so if Jay isn't "the guy", which I have my suspicions he's not, than it may be time to move on now.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
manchambo
Ring of Famer

You didn't include one of the better choices to get us out of this cluster-love:

Fire the coach who was stupid enough to get the team into a death struggle with its young prow-bowl QB. Then promote Dennison as "interim" head coach and make the job permanent if he does a good job.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Jumping the gun a bit... huh?
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Options 3 and 6 would be my preference if Cutler has to go. Get McNabb and draft a mid-round QB to groom, I guess.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote