The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default What Does FA Tell Us About the Draft?

The title says it all - what conclusions can we draw about what Mc and Xanders are thinking about the draft given what they've done in Free Agency?
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

They signed a LS when we had one that has done fine for years here.

So imo, I have no clue, they will draft whatever player fits the system best, thats all I can gather from FA so far.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Right now I would say the defensive front 7 looks like the priority in the draft. We went heavy on DBs and picked up a WR, a couple of RBs as well.

I think they will pick up a couple of LBs and a couple of DLs at least. I also have a feeling we will pick a young DB fairly early, CB or FS.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
The title says it all - what conclusions can we draw about what Mc and Xanders are thinking about the draft given what they've done in Free Agency?
It tells us that DEN brought in leadership and knowledgaeble guys that can run Nolans 3-4 and a hybrid in the meantime.
It also tells us that DEN still has needs in no particular order at LB, NT, DE, S and maybe even CB.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

It tells us they are trying to get guys that fit the system in that aren't stupid. I hope we go BPA in the draft, though.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

QB first round! Lightrail guy told Hotrod who told Dortoh who told me.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

That no one is safe and if you show up trying to not lose a job instead of just trying to win one you'll probably find yourself on the street real damn soon.

Competition for everyone. If you think a player is safe with no one to challenge him then think again.

Cutler already has his competition, a finally healthy Chris Simms. I'm also expecting us to draft a QB in the later rounds to start grooming his competition for the long term.

All these RBs have a bunch of competition, but we didn't stop talking to guys after signing Buchalter or Arrington, I doubt we'll stop just because we signed Lamont Jordan. Probably a mid-round RB as well.

The places I really think we should keep an eye peeled that might shock people? OL, and early. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we use our 2nd on Mack or Unger. Hambone, Weigmann, and Kuper would be the favorites to keep their job, but we only got one possible backup of worth in Lichtensteiger. That won't fly. What might shock people more? I wouldn't be totally surprised if we take Phil Loadholt in round 2 instead. We don't have much good OT depth either and Harris has had injury concerns. Loadholt looks like a beast as an RT and he'd be real good value in round 2.

Same with WR. I don't think we'll sit on our hands and hope that Marshall stops getting into trouble. We'll have an alternative waiting in the wings for him too.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I'm hoping for BPA that fits the system. Clearly the priority is on football IQ first, so that will play a factor into who is selected. I think FA told us that it's certainly not going to be an exclusive defensive draft, although the front 7 is likely to be addressed early and often.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i think they simply wanted to fill the roster out so they dont have NEEDS when it comes to the draft, now they can draft BPA instead of reaching for a certain position.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That no one is safe and if you show up trying to not lose a job instead of just trying to win one you'll probably find yourself on the street real damn soon.

Competition for everyone. If you think a player is safe with no one to challenge him then think again.

Cutler already has his competition, a finally healthy Chris Simms. I'm also expecting us to draft a QB in the later rounds to start grooming his competition for the long term.

All these RBs have a bunch of competition, but we didn't stop talking to guys after signing Buchalter or Arrington, I doubt we'll stop just because we signed Lamont Jordan. Probably a mid-round RB as well.

The places I really think we should keep an eye peeled that might shock people? OL, and early. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we use our 2nd on Mack or Unger. Hambone, Weigmann, and Kuper would be the favorites to keep their job, but we only got one possible backup of worth in Lichtensteiger. That won't fly. What might shock people more? I wouldn't be totally surprised if we take Phil Loadholt in round 2 instead. We don't have much good OT depth either and Harris has had injury concerns. Loadholt looks like a beast as an RT and he'd be real good value in round 2.

Same with WR. I don't think we'll sit on our hands and hope that Marshall stops getting into trouble. We'll have an alternative waiting in the wings for him too.
What if Andre Smith were to fall to us at 12? Does Denver pull the trigger? He is likely the BPA there if that happens.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Hope that someone else has him listed as a top five or ten player and is willing to sacrifice picks to pick up that lardass. We don't need him.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
What if Andre Smith were to fall to us at 12? Does Denver pull the trigger? He is likely the BPA there if that happens.
Nope. He's amazingly talented but also a gigantic moron. Listen to his "explanation" of why he was suspended for 'Bama's bowl game and you'll see why.

I'd take Michael Oher over him. But I think we'll be able to find a pretty comparable value at #12 at one of our many positions of need.

However, if Andre Smith does slide I'm sure we'll find some team willing to trade up in order to get him, which is ideal.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Nope. He's amazingly talented but also a gigantic moron. Listen to his "explanation" of why he was suspended for 'Bama's bowl game and you'll see why.

I'd take Michael Oher over him. But I think we'll be able to find a pretty comparable value at #12 at one of our many positions of need.

However, if Andre Smith does slide I'm sure we'll find some team willing to trade up in order to get him, which is ideal.
I also really hope Sanchez slides to #12 as well. Hopefully TB, NYJ or even DET could come calling! I think if hes there, and DET takes Curry or Raji 1st overall, and then offers #20 and #33, DEN would jump on it.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: