The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Sharpe says he knows how Cutler feels, Shanny did same thing to him

CUTLER IN GOOD BRONCOS COMPANY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 8, 2009, 6:12 p.m.

As upset as quarterback Jay Cutler is about being involved in trade discussions, he’s not alone in Denver Broncos history as far as prominent players who were once placed on the trading block.

As noted by Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, former Broncos coach Dan Reeves attempted to trade quarterback John Elway to the Washington Redskins in 1992. And former tight end Shannon Sharpe was linked to a trade discussion by former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan regarding former Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Eric Swann.

The prospective deals were never executed, though.

Like Cutler and Elway, Sharpe was unaware of the situation initially. Like Cutler, Sharpe was enraged by the fact that the Broncos were considering dealing him away.

“I remember somebody asking me about it and I said, ‘There’s no truth to that,’” Sharpe told the Post. ”And then I find out there is. I was hurt. I thought about all the times I took injections and played hurt and that’s all they thought of me.

“So I went up to Mike’s office and said, ‘Mike, if you think you can get someone in here who’s going to do a better job than I can, go ahead and do it.’ Then I went out and caught 80 balls for a thousand yards and we wound up winning two Super Bowls together.”

According to Sharpe, it took a while before he repaired his relationship with Shanahan.

“It took me a long time to trust Mike,” Sharpe said. “I was a little distrustful, but I got over it. You learn early on that if you play this game long enough, sometimes you’re the wolf and sometimes you’re the lamb. A few times I’ve been the wolf, but more times than that, I’ve been the lamb. You have to be OK with that.

“This is going to take a while. This isn’t a thing where they have a meeting and everything is OK. There’s a natural progression. The old saying is time heals all things, but how much time do they have to mend this? How much time does Josh McDaniels have?”

Cutler and McDaniels are scheduled to meet this week to discuss the situation.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Oops.

You mean, "perfect PR" Shanahan?

NEVER!

Shanahan was as cut-throat as they came. He learned that up in SF.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

Mike was VERY cutthroat and I don't think anyone here will doubt that. But I also think he tried to earn the respect of the players, and I can't think of a time where he lied to their face. I remember the Eric Swann situation and it certainly didn't become the did-he-didn't-he media cluster**** that this one has.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Mike was VERY cutthroat and I don't think anyone here will doubt that. But I also think he tried to earn the respect of the players, and I can't think of a time where he lied to their face. I remember the Eric Swann situation and it certainly didn't become the did-he-didn't-he media cluster**** that this one has.
different era my friend but same exact situation. It's only the rise of media and the internet that blows things up now. Has nothing to do with the coaches IMO.

In fact the main difference is Shanny actually shopped Sharpe, and Mcdaniels only listened to offers.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The stupidity is not in trying to figure out what a player is worth on the trading market, it's lying to the press about it. From most accounts, we can conclude that is exactly what Xanders and McDaniels did.

This is stupid for two additional reasons
1) It makes it impossible to justify the trade, since the original terms (which were probably invalid) were moronic as to defy belief.
2) It then calls your QB a liar and a whiner in front of the entire NFL.

Not handled well by anyone, but especially not by McDaniels. He needs to get it into his head that he is the head coach of the Broncos, not the flunky of Bellicheck temporarily in exile.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
The stupidity is not in trying to figure out what a player is worth on the trading market, it's lying to the press about it. From most accounts, we can conclude that is exactly what Xanders and McDaniels did.

This is stupid for two additional reasons
1) It makes it impossible to justify the trade, since the original terms (which were probably invalid) were moronic as to defy belief.
2) It then calls your QB a liar and a whiner in front of the entire NFL.

Not handled well by anyone, but especially not by McDaniels. He needs to get it into his head that he is the head coach of the Broncos, not the flunky of Bellicheck temporarily in exile.
I haven't seen him lie about it. But by all means because Jay Cutler said he lied go ahead and believe it. I mean Jay has spoken directly to Josh, er, wait, no he hasn't, OOPS!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If Cutler was smart, he'd be talking to former players like Elway and Sharpe to get their opinion on the situation. I guarantee you both would say that it's part of the business and the best thing Jay can do is be the best player/teammate/leader he can be, and then let the chips fall where they may.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Front office said they listened to offers. Shefter later confirmed they listened to incoming offers. Only Jay believes the Broncos instigated trade talks. He will get over it, I dont believe he is going anywhere. Time heals all wounds. This is what happens when you listen to other people not directly involved with the situation. Jay should have called McDaniels when he found out, not talk to the media and decide to pout about it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
If Cutler was smart, he'd be talking to former players like Elway and Sharpe to get their opinion on the situation. I guarantee you both would say that it's part of the business and the best thing Jay can do is be the best player/teammate/leader he can be, and then let the chips fall where they may.
yep!!!! No team will ever want to pay a ton of money to a player that is a baby. Mental toughness is something Cutler IMO has to work on.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
yep!!!! No team will ever want to pay a ton of money to a player that is a baby. Mental toughness is something Cutler IMO has to work on.
Pretty much. And some people here think Cutler has all the leverage.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Hello Capt. Obvious.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Front office said they listened to offers. Shefter later confirmed they listened to incoming offers. Only Jay believes the Broncos instigated trade talks. He will get over it, I dont believe he is going anywhere. Time heals all wounds. This is what happens when you listen to other people not directly involved with the situation. Jay should have called McDaniels when he found out, not talk to the media and decide to pout about it.

I just dont see some random team calling up MCD and asking hey is cutler available. Unless teams KNEW that MCD wanted Cassel.. Just my two coppers though
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I just dont see some random team calling up MCD and asking hey is cutler available. Unless teams KNEW that MCD wanted Cassel.. Just my two coppers though
Pat Kirwan said that GM's call each other every day and discuss nearly every player on the roster. It is extremely possible that considering the connection of McDaniels and Cassel, Detroit called with interest and Denver listened. Once the cat was out of the bag, others called.

I personally don't think the Broncos made the decision to actively shop Cutler but were most than interested in hearing about a deal that would bring Cassel (to them, an upgrade at QB) and draft picks.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Not necessarily, they don't need to know he wants Cutler but they can approach him knowing he is familiar with Cassel. Thats why McD and Xanders quickly turned it down, their words, because they really weren't interested.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You don't think a team would see if they could try and get Cutler now that McDaniels was running the show and he was familiar with Cassel?

As soon as one team gets the idea and throws it out a proposal that doesn't get flat out rejected news will travel through the grape vine and all sorts of other teams will start thinking they could put together a package.

If they were genuinely shopping Cutler he'd be moved already, Cassel or no Cassel. He isn't, he's still here. The journalist with the best connections in Denver (Shefter) said they never actively shopped him. Thats about all it takes for me to think this was a whole lot more smoke than fire.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Why say teams when only one TEAM, the Patriots, had Cassell and a three way deal is very complex. It went farther than "Hey, we are interested in picks and players but dont (fill in the blanks). What will it take to package a deal that involves Cutler?" Denver had to of listened to what was transpiring in those discussions. Only way it didnt was Tampa and Patriots putting it together than contacting Xanders. If Xanders stated He wasnt interested, this wouldnt have become the Media story that it became.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

The one difference here was that Cutler was shopped for a player in the same position as him. Which is not saying, hey, I like you but i think we need more help at position X and value it more. Its saying, hey, I don't like you as much as the other guy, and even though its obvious that you have more potential, I'd rather not deal with developing you.

And thats after he peptalked our entire offense after comming in here.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote