The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Defensive tackles you see being capable 3-4 defensive ends.

I think a lot of us here are on board with the idea of Tyson Jackson at #12. Denver obviously doesn't have any true beef and grit up front for a three four in my honest opinion other than the recent signing of Fields. In a way, I feel like we're almost being forced into Jackson at #12 (which I'm not against, because I think he's most definitely worth it) -- but say if we were to go another route there, what other players are there in the draft in your mind that could be capable 3-4 ends?

Gilbert, obviously has that size and potential -- but there aren't really many other ends in my mind that stand out. Michael Bennett out of Texas A&M, but I think he's a mid-round guy at best and would only be effective as a role player in his first year. So that leads me to the discussion on defensive tackles that'd be able to play on the outside in a 3-4. Who do you got?

I think Moala out of USC is quite obvious. I wouldn't be opposed to him in round two based on that ability if we didn't get someone like Jackson in round one, however I feel he is not a top fifty value like we're picking in the second round; but the need we have at such a position might make me feel a little better having to reach for a prospect.

I also think Ziggy Hood could fit that mold as well. I think he's making a push for the late-first round after a stellar combine, but I think he's probably best suited as a DT in a Tampa-2 scheme.

Demonte Bolden and Dorrell Scott could be some mid-round guys. Perhaps? I don't see them as top three round guys, but later on I think they'd be possibilities.

It just seems like our possibilities of getting some legit 3-4 ends in this draft are limited if we don't go the route of Jackson or perhaps Gilbert a little earlier than usual. Those are some of the guys I've seen play that come off of the top of my head. Does anyone have any others?

Just concerned. Not necessarily sure.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,995

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I don't think Moala would be a good fit at DE.

Mitch King is a guy I think could play the DE position, he has the measurables and he has been a steady riser.

Chris Baker is another guy I have got my eyes on for a 3-4, but he does have a sketchy personality.

Vance Walker could fit, he has some good moves, good initial jump, he can handle double teams and is good at reading the run.

Rashon Harris out of Oregon could work too, he has pretty stout, has good athleticism and explosion.

I like Michael Bennett as well, he is a DE but I think he could move to 4 or 5 technique DE. He has good moves, he can rush but he is responsible against the run, I think with some power and bulk he could become a really solid 3-4 DE.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,506
Default

1st off, i think theres some posters who are on board with getting TJAck at #12. I guess we'll just see.
As for DTs that can play DE, i think actually that
Jarron Gilbert SJ ST
Fili Moala USC
Vance Walker GT
Alex Magee PURDUE
could all play DE in a 3-4 i think.

Hopefully, DEN can work there way out of #12, and back a bit to say #16 or #20.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think Moala would be a good fit at DE.

Mitch King is a guy I think could play the DE position, he has the measurables and he has been a steady riser.

Chris Baker is another guy I have got my eyes on for a 3-4, but he does have a sketchy personality.

Vance Walker could fit, he has some good moves, good initial jump, he can handle double teams and is good at reading the run.

Rashon Harris out of Oregon could work too, he has pretty stout, has good athleticism and explosion.

I like Michael Bennett as well, he is a DE but I think he could move to 4 or 5 technique DE. He has good moves, he can rush but he is responsible against the run, I think with some power and bulk he could become a really solid 3-4 DE.
Fili Moala, USC
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
Combine 40 Time: 5.09.
Benchx225: 25. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
1/10/09: Fili Moala notched 10 TFL and 4.5 sacks as a senior.

11/23/08: In 10 games, Fili Moala has 7.5 TFL and three sacks. His stock is limited, however, because he's primarily a 3-4 end.

Most draft analysts see Fili as a 3-4 DE in the pros. Just sayin...

Last edited by socalorado; 03-08-2009 at 04:18 PM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think Moala would be a good fit at DE.

Mitch King is a guy I think could play the DE position, he has the measurables and he has been a steady riser.

Chris Baker is another guy I have got my eyes on for a 3-4, but he does have a sketchy personality.

Vance Walker could fit, he has some good moves, good initial jump, he can handle double teams and is good at reading the run.

Rashon Harris out of Oregon could work too, he has pretty stout, has good athleticism and explosion.

I like Michael Bennett as well, he is a DE but I think he could move to 4 or 5 technique DE. He has good moves, he can rush but he is responsible against the run, I think with some power and bulk he could become a really solid 3-4 DE.
Winner! Yes! I think DEN needs to target these guys as DE prospects. I know this is a DT to DE thread, but funny enough, I really dont think DEN needs to go after DEs early in the draft! I think the bulk of the position should be addressed throughout the draft. I would like to see 3-4 DEs from this list taken by DEN. Yeah, 3 or 4. Some are a little underweight, but they could stand to add some weight for the 3-4 DE spot.

Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond
Height: 6-4. Weight: 251.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Combine 40 Time: 4.64.
Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 35.
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

2/24/09: Even unofficially (the official times are obviously screwed up), Lawrence Sidbury ran one of the quickest 40s at the 2009 NFL Combine. He really helped himself on a day in which numerous defensive linemen disappointed.

1/9/09: An All-CAA First Team member, Lawrence Sidbury had 14.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks for national champion Richmond.

5/7/08: Lawrence Sidbury should be able to play in any scheme. He had eight tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in 13 starts last season.


Mitch King, Iowa
Height: 6-2. Weight: 280.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

1/9/09: Mitch King's 15.5 TFL were pretty impressive. He had 54 tackles and two sacks on the year.

11/16/08: Should be a solid 3-4 reserve in the NFL for a number of years.

5/7/08: Mitch King had 4.5 sacks in 2007, and is looking like a solid, mid-round defensive end in the 2009 Draft.


Phillip Hunt, Houston
Height: 6-2. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Projected Round (2009): 4.

1/9/09: A pretty obvious choice as an All-Conference USA first-teamer, Phillip Hunt registered 18.5 TFL and 14 sacks this season.

11/16/08: One of the hottest defenders in the nation this year, Phillip Hunt has 13.5 TFL and 10 sacks in nine games.

Orion Martin, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-2. Weight: 272.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Combine 40 Time: 4.88.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

1/9/09: Orion Martin finished strong, collecting 13 TFL, 7.5 sacks and four passes broken up.

5/7/08: Probably a right end in the 3-4 at the next level. Orion Martin notched 78 tackles and 4.5 sacks last season.


Kyle Moore, USC
Height: 6-5. Weight: 272.
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
Combine 40 Time: 4.89.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

1/9/09: Managed 9.5 TFL and five sacks as a senior.

5/7/08: Starting 10 games at defensive end for the Trojans, and managed two sacks and two picks.

2007: Kyle Moore appeared in all 13 games as a sophomore, recording five tackles. Moore, listed as a starter for 2007, has a pretty solid 40 at his impressive 275-pound frame.

Jeremy Navarre, Maryland
Height: 6-3. Weight: 284.
Projected 40 Time: 4.92.
Projected Round (2009): 6-7.

1/9/09: Jeremy Navarre completed his senior campaign with 7.5 TFL and 2.5 sacks.

11/16/08: A 3-4 end who can get to the quarterback occasionally.

5/7/08: If Jeremy Navarre can get his 40 down, he'll shoot up this board. He had 4.5 sacks in 13 starts in 2007.

Michael Bennett, Texas A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 274.
Projected 40 Time: 4.81.
Combine 40 Time: 5.02.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.86.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 36.5.
Projected Round (2009): 7-FA.

1/9/09: Let's hope the Lions don't confuse him with Michael Turner.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,862

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think a lot of us here are on board with the idea of Tyson Jackson at #12. Denver obviously doesn't have any true beef and grit up front for a three four in my honest opinion other than the recent signing of Fields. In a way, I feel like we're almost being forced into Jackson at #12 (which I'm not against, because I think he's most definitely worth it) -- but say if we were to go another route there, what other players are there in the draft in your mind that could be capable 3-4 ends?

Gilbert, obviously has that size and potential -- but there aren't really many other ends in my mind that stand out. Michael Bennett out of Texas A&M, but I think he's a mid-round guy at best and would only be effective as a role player in his first year. So that leads me to the discussion on defensive tackles that'd be able to play on the outside in a 3-4. Who do you got?

I think Moala out of USC is quite obvious. I wouldn't be opposed to him in round two based on that ability if we didn't get someone like Jackson in round one, however I feel he is not a top fifty value like we're picking in the second round; but the need we have at such a position might make me feel a little better having to reach for a prospect.

I also think Ziggy Hood could fit that mold as well. I think he's making a push for the late-first round after a stellar combine, but I think he's probably best suited as a DT in a Tampa-2 scheme.

Demonte Bolden and Dorrell Scott could be some mid-round guys. Perhaps? I don't see them as top three round guys, but later on I think they'd be possibilities.

It just seems like our possibilities of getting some legit 3-4 ends in this draft are limited if we don't go the route of Jackson or perhaps Gilbert a little earlier than usual. Those are some of the guys I've seen play that come off of the top of my head. Does anyone have any others?

Just concerned. Not necessarily sure.
Jackson should be considering an elite 3-4 DE coming out. The guy already has the goods to impact a defense from day one at the Strongside DE spot.

I think Robert Ayers, Paul Kruger, Jarron Gilbert all fit the bill within round 2 or 3.

I wouldn't take Fili before round 4. I've seen too much bad, lazy tape on him. I don't think he's a starter at the next level. He has the ability to be but I don't think his mind is there. He was very average last year. His teammate Kyle Moore almost projects as well as him at a 3-4 DE spot.

I think Bolden, Francois, and a few others could factor in late.

Tyson Jackson makes a lot of sense for us at 12. He won't be a sexy pick but he's going to be that first guy that truly gives us flexibility on the front line to run the 3-4. Currently we don't have much in that department outside of the middle-tier FA's we picked up and Kenny Peterson. I think Thomas is going to be a horrible DE fit and the we'll see about Crowder.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

To me and looking at teams that run 3-4 defenses, a player to be effective at DE in a 3-4 needs to be at least 6'3 and 290lbs. 280lbs and below DL are generally not going to do well in a 3-4. Sure, you may be someone who finds someone who doesn't fit the general mold and is still effective, but it's not likely.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
Say 'what' again, I dare you

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,429
Default

I listed the DL over 290 from the combine site.

Baker Chris DL 6'2" 326 Hampton
Brace Ron DT 6'3" 330 Boston College
Favorite Marlon DT 6'1" 314 LSU
Gilbert Jarron DE 6'5" 288 San Jose State
Grady Adrian DT 6'1" 298 Louisville
Harris Ra'Shon DT 6'4" 298 Oregon
Hill Sammie Lee DT 6'4" 329 Stillman
Hood Evander DT 6'3" 300 Missouri
Irvin Corvey DT 6'3" 301 Georgia
Jackson Tyson DE 6'4" 295 LSU
Jean-Francois Ricky DT 6'3" 295 LSU
Jerry Peria DT 6'2" 299 Mississippi
Knighton Terrance DT 6'3" 321 Temple
Magee Alex DL 6'3" 298 Purdue
Marks Sen'Derrick DT 6'2" 306 Auburn
Miller Roy DT 6'1" 310 Texas
Mitchell Khalif DL 6'5" 318 East Carolina
Moala Fili DT 6'4" 305 Southern Cal
Pryor Myron DT 6'0" 319 Kentucky
Raji B.J. DT 6'2" 337 Boston College
Richard Darryl DT 6'3" 303 Georgia Tech
Scott Dorell DT 6'3" 312 Clemson
Taylor Terrance DT 6'0" 306 Michigan
Walker Vance DT 6'2" 304 Georgia Tech
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I listed the DL over 290 from the combine site.

Baker Chris DL 6'2" 326 Hampton
Brace Ron DT 6'3" 330 Boston College
Favorite Marlon DT 6'1" 314 LSU
Gilbert Jarron DE 6'5" 288 San Jose State
Grady Adrian DT 6'1" 298 Louisville
Harris Ra'Shon DT 6'4" 298 Oregon
Hill Sammie Lee DT 6'4" 329 Stillman
Hood Evander DT 6'3" 300 Missouri maybe
Irvin Corvey DT 6'3" 301 Georgia
Jackson Tyson DE 6'4" 295 LSU
Jean-Francois Ricky DT 6'3" 295 LSU
Jerry Peria DT 6'2" 299 Mississippi
Knighton Terrance DT 6'3" 321 Temple
Magee Alex DL 6'3" 298 Purdue maybe
Marks Sen'Derrick DT 6'2" 306 Auburn
Miller Roy DT 6'1" 310 Texas
Mitchell Khalif DL 6'5" 318 East Carolina
Moala Fili DT 6'4" 305 Southern Cal
Pryor Myron DT 6'0" 319 Kentucky
Raji B.J. DT 6'2" 337 Boston College
Richard Darryl DT 6'3" 303 Georgia Tech
Scott Dorell DT 6'3" 312 Clemson
Taylor Terrance DT 6'0" 306 Michigan
Walker Vance DT 6'2" 304 Georgia Tech
The guys in bold are the ones I think could be a DE in a 3-4 defense. I think the rest are either NT's or DT's in a 4-3 type of defense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
RocBronc
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 546
Default

Why not Jerry Peria... I'd take him over Jackson anyday...
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,995

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Fili Moala, USC
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
Combine 40 Time: 5.09.
Benchx225: 25. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
1/10/09: Fili Moala notched 10 TFL and 4.5 sacks as a senior.

11/23/08: In 10 games, Fili Moala has 7.5 TFL and three sacks. His stock is limited, however, because he's primarily a 3-4 end.

Most draft analysts see Fili as a 3-4 DE in the pros. Just sayin...
That is my bad, from what I saw of him I didn't see him as a good fit, but I was wrong.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
Why not Jerry Peria... I'd take him over Jackson anyday...
Because he's short for a DE in a 3-4 defense. It would be easier to smother a shorter guy there if taking on 2 OL than a guy with more height.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,801

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Carlton Powell?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Denver Broncos