The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Default Trading up for Raji

Would you trade our first and 3 plus a 5 rounder to move up for Raji. A team like Jacksonville might be willing to do the Trade. I could also see the Broncos trading our 1 and 2 rounder to Bengals for their 6 round pick . The Broncos get their #1 need of Nose tackle in Raji. If the Broncos could add a player like Jason Taylor in free agency then I could see the Broncos trading up for Raji.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

depends...if hes there at 8-9 yes but i wouldnt try to move up too far to get him.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

No, I've read more than report suggesting Raji, despite appearances, isn't ideal as a nose tackle, and is more suited to a 4 man front.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

No thanks. If Raji falls to us, then ok. I don't want to trade up for him. I'd rather stay put and take Jackson or Maualuga at 12 and use the other picks.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
ANIMAL24
THE SATISFIER

LETS GO DRAFT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DARIUS WATTS

no
ANIMAL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

No I wouldn't because NT's in a 3-4 can be found later in the draft. Broncos need guys on defense that can make plays and NT's in a 3-4 are generally facing double teams, so they aren't usually going to be making a lot of plays. They help others make plays, but right now, the Broncos don't have the guys to make any big plays right now.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I just don't know enough about him. Haven't seen him play outside of a few videos.

If he's a true NT prospect and falls in the can't-miss categor (see Clady)... then there's no question you trade up. Our entire defense is predicated on three big bastards that can control the LOS.

But, it sure seems to me like there will be some good value there at 12, or even trading down a few spots and taking one of the USC LBs is an option.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Does anyone think he'd make a good 3-4 end?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

no...we're are sitting at a good spot at 12...

somebody really good will likely fall to us, giving us the option to either draft him (if he's a defensive player) or listen to offers from teams wanting to acquire our pick (if he's an offensive player such as Crabtree or Sanchez)...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

There will be good defensive talent at #12 for Denver. They should be interested in trading down if that's possible.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Does anyone think he'd make a good 3-4 end?
Yep, I think he would be good anywhere on a 3 man front.

On the whole I wouldn't move up, there are at least 2 pass rushing OLBs with value, 1 DE, 1 NT and 1 CT/FS who would all be good at number 12, and this doesn't count Curry suddenly sliding.

With at least 1LB, 1 QB, at least 1 WR, and at least 2 OTs being drafted in the top 10 and probably more we should get one of the good defensive talents, and if somehow they are all drafted ahead of us I am sure we can find someone who would like to move up a bit for Sanchez or Oher. Maclin has been shooting up boards too, and realisticly we could end up having more than 1 of the players Raji, Brown, Orakpo, Malcolm and Jackson to choose from.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Nah... I'd rather us have our picks. Plus Ron Brace could be just as good if not better at NT and we could get him by trading down out 1st and picking up an extra 2nd. Raji was a penetration DT that relied on Brace taking up lots of people... it just so happens taking up blockers is something that a NT must be good at.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

im in the "BPA on defense, trade down if offensive player falls" school of thought right now...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The Broncos need every pick they can get. If anything, they should trade down and get value picks in the second round.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Needa Pass Rush
Never say Always

I don't know... I watched a fair number of BC Eagle games this year. I think you could make the argument to stay at 12 (or trade down) and take BPA and look at Raji's teammate at BC, Ron Brace in the second or third. I think Brace could be the better NT prospect.
Needa Pass Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

No.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

No.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Don't buy into the huge pre draft hype. Raji might indeed make a very good NFL NT, but that's not his natural position. He would do much better being a standout 4-3 DT (but we might be running a hybrid for the next couple years). He would be a very good pick at #12, but not worth trading picks for.

Now, if we could trade a player like Scheffler to move up and snag him, that might be worth it.

It's my opinion that any of this year's NT's will take a year or two to develop, so we might as well just take some of the bigger DT's available in rounds 2-5. There is good talent at LB for the #12 pick - I mean instant starter material. You can't pass on an instant starting LB, they usually do well their rookie year.

Stay put, or trade down.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Would you trade our first and 3 plus a 5 rounder to move up for Raji. A team like Jacksonville might be willing to do the Trade. I could also see the Broncos trading our 1 and 2 rounder to Bengals for their 6 round pick . The Broncos get their #1 need of Nose tackle in Raji. If the Broncos could add a player like Jason Taylor in free agency then I could see the Broncos trading up for Raji.
Jason Taylor just seems like a waste of money. if we were staying in a 4-3 permanently and he could play his natural DE spot only, then i would be for bringing him in, but i do not want to pay a good pass rushing DE the huge sum they will want, for them to have to come in and play a different position and have to learn the new position. it's the same reason i have been against Peppers all offseason.

also, with trading our 1st, a 3rd and a 5th for Raji, that is way too high of a price for a guy who seems he would be of more use in a 4-3 allignment than he will be as a 3-4 NT.

if anything, i say trade back a few spots pick up an extra 2nd and get Brace in the 2nd.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

No, I would not throw out the entire draft for one NT.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

I agree. When you say, "A team like Jacksonville," if you are implying that they could use the extra draft picks then, well, we are also a team like Jacksonville. I would love to grab Luga at 12 if he is there, otherwise definitely move down and get the extra guys. We just need to find the biggest guy we can and put him at NT. A one trick pony. He needs only to be able to be fat. That's it. Get him in the fourth or fifth and upgrade LB, DE, CB, or S for the rest of the draft. Unless another guy like Matt Cassell becomes available at a good spot. Quarterbacks with less talent are always better.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Our defense had a lack of decent scheme and a lack of talent and depth. If all we needed was a single NT to turn our defense into a top 5 unit, then of course, trade some picks and get that guy. We need more than Raji, so no, dont do it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

I'd much rather trade down than up, and if there's one good thing about the All Mighty Patriot Way that I'm sure Coach Kid will adhere to, it's that it agrees.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...

We can't afford to trade up for anyone... we just have too many needs.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

No. We have way too many needs to fill, and need as many bodies as possible to fill them.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote