The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Does Jay Cutler have Leverage??

After the episode that has happened over the last week and a half with Cutler, Bowlen and McDaniel's, it should be an eye opener to Cutler that the NFL is a Business, you don't hold grudges, there is no loyalty and you put YOURSELF FIRST in every phase of your NFL career....plain and simple.

Cutler needs to man up and show maturity and put his career first! ahead of the FO, the fans, ahead of McDaniel's, and ahead of Bowlen. Cutler should realize by now that both Bowlen and McDaniels are Rattle Snakes, and if you're going to have a relationship with snakes, you must learn to hold a snake by the head so it can't bite you.

In fact, would it be fair for Cutler to whisper in McDaniel's ear to strongly consider drafting a QB to replace him ASAP b/c he doesn't know whether he will resign with Denver or whether Denver wants him to retire as a Bronco. At least the reality and truth is out on the table, the fans know, Bowlen and McDaniel's are aware. All parties involved will then be on the same page! No Surprises----RIGHT?

As far as Jay signing a contract extension thats not the issue b/c we are assuming Cutler will want to sign an extension! If Cutler is smart, he'll learn McDaniel's system, play as best he can while in Denver over the next 3 years and test the waters in FA. In fact, Jay has all the advantages on his side for the remainder 3 years of his contract.

Cutler doesn't need to go 11-5 or 15-1, or win play off games these are dreams and of the fans and what Bowlen and McDaniel's are hoping for. All Cutler needs to do is put up Pro bowl type numbers, and this will ensure he will be a hot commodity when its his turn to test the FA waters.

Who knows, by the end of Cutlers contract in Denver, Jay maybe in a great position to reunite with "Mike Shanahan". Boy imagine how insanely crazy faithful Broncos fans and Cutler Haters would be with that scenario!!! Especially should Shanahan and Cutler win a couple of Super Bowels together, while McDaniels is still learning how to be a winning coach in the NFL.

Lastly, fans for the most part love the game b/c of the Players!!! Fans don't come to watch the game b/c they want to see a COACH. GET REAL FOLKS!!

I say Cutler has allot of LEVERAGE at this point---wouldn't you agree!!!!.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quick question for the board in general on this topic.

Who was the last very good QB to go free agent?

Drew Brees? Already had Phillip Rivers behind him.

Before that? Jake Plummer?

Jay Cutler isn't leaving Denver as a free agent. If he believes that then Bus Cook needs to give him a reality check. We get compensated, either in trade near term or when we tag and trade him down the road. He's got just about zero leverage, just like pretty much every other NFL player in the league today.

He can deal with it or he can be a douche bag who loses himself millions of dollars and never becomes anything worth a damn. Its his choice.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Jay Cutler isn't leaving Denver as a free agent. If he believes that then Bus Cook needs to give him a reality check. We get compensated, either in trade near term or when we tag and trade him down the road. He's got just about zero leverage, just like pretty much every other NFL player in the league today.

He can deal with it or he can be a douche bag who loses himself millions of dollars and never becomes anything worth a damn. Its his choice.
Actually for the next 3 years all Jay needs to do is come in and execute McDaniels system put up pro bowl numbers and test the FA waters! His leverage will be his age and his talents. Denver can't tag Cutler forever! Cutler can force a trade merely b/c he's a FA and his contract with Denver has ended.

Cutler will come in and learn McDaniels system execute it and put up pro bowl stats....will Jay still be a douche bag? or are you saying Cutler will be a douche bag if he decides not to resign with Denver once his contract expires....which is it?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Actually for the next 3 years all Jay needs to do is come in and execute McDaniels system put up pro bowl numbers and test the FA waters! His leverage will be his age and his talents. Denver can't tag Cutler forever! Cutler can force a trade merely b/c he's a FA and his contract with Denver has ended.

Cutler will come in and learn McDaniels system execute it and put up pro bowl stats....will Jay still be a douche bag? or are you saying Cutler will be a douche bag if he decides not to resign with Denver once his contract expires....which is it?
actually, you can.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
actually, you can.
Teams generally don't,for example lance briggs & albert Haynesworth, Cutler has to be willing to hold out.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

This might be off topic a little, but Jay's type 1 diabetes has a serious risk factor. If the rumor's I read here about his excessive drinking and staying out late are true a long term career with the any team might not be possible. I'm sure this comes up in discussions behind closed doors with ownership and coaches.
Dr. Brocenstein (a surgeon) deals with patients on a daily basis that neglect their diabetes and it isn't pretty. Just ask him !!!
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
This might be off topic a little, but Jay's type 1 diabetes has a serious risk factor. If the rumor's I read here about his excessive drinking and staying out late are true a long term career with the any team might not be possible. I'm sure this comes up in discussions behind closed doors with ownership and coaches.
Dr. Brocenstein (a surgeon) deals with patients on a daily basis that neglect their diabetes and it isn't pretty. Just ask him !!!
I don't think Jay completely neglects his diabetes he is very diligent about his blood sugar levels. He is just playing with fire with the drinking.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Wow, how fast things turn around here. Somehow Jay Cutler has turned into the worst guy in the NFL. Im guessing we could bring in Michael Vick or try and get one of those other strong stable QB's waiting around for a team to need them.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's amazing to me...just how many of you have turned on Cutler. I can't wait to see you show your true colors once the season starts. If he plays well...you'll all be kissing his rear. If he slips at all...you'll all be saying he sucks. It's truly incredible...that we can hire a 32yr old kid to be head coach. One, who you and everyone else has no real clue if he's any good...and boom...you all jump on his bandwagon...and kick Cutler to the curb. What a bunch of crybaby punks!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
It's amazing to me...just how many of you have turned on Cutler. I can't wait to see you show your true colors once the season starts. If he plays well...you'll all be kissing his rear. If he slips at all...you'll all be saying he sucks. It's truly incredible...that we can hire a 32yr old kid to be head coach. One, who you and everyone else has no real clue if he's any good...and boom...you all jump on his bandwagon...and kick Cutler to the curb. What a bunch of crybaby punks!
No, the problem is Jay is being the "crybaby pnuk". It has been very eye-opening and disappointing to see this utter lack of maturity from a guy who is supposed to be the face of the franchise. No one is jumping off his bandwagon, we just want him to be mature and go out prove that he is an elite QB on the field...something he has not done yet. Stop sucking your thumb and acting like someone stole your blanky and get to work on the field.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Regarding the question posed in the thread, Jay just about no leverage. He has at least two years left on his contract (it's technically three, but I believe the last year can be voided), then we have the franchise tag available. He could hold out, but it's not like he's John Elway with a baseball career to fall back on.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I don't think Jay completely neglects his diabetes he is very diligent about his blood sugar levels. He is just playing with fire with the drinking.
You are right he does check his sugar level during games so let's hope he does off the field. A person with Type 1 that's has excellent eating habits, gets plenty of rest and doesn't use alcohol can still develop complications that keep that would keep him from living a normal day to day life. An NFL QB is a different scenario and I'm sure they have been advised on this and it's has to be a factor in ownership decisions. It's the 2 ton elephant in the room no one wants to talk about it but you can't ignore it.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
After the episode that has happened over the last week and a half with Cutler, Bowlen and McDaniel's, it should be an eye opener to Cutler that the NFL is a Business, you don't hold grudges, there is no loyalty and you put YOURSELF FIRST in every phase of your NFL career....plain and simple.

Cutler needs to man up and show maturity and put his career first! ahead of the FO, the fans, ahead of McDaniel's, and ahead of Bowlen. Cutler should realize by now that both Bowlen and McDaniels are Rattle Snakes, and if you're going to have a relationship with snakes, you must learn to hold a snake by the head so it can't bite you.

In fact, would it be fair for Cutler to whisper in McDaniel's ear to strongly consider drafting a QB to replace him ASAP b/c he doesn't know whether he will resign with Denver or whether Denver wants him to retire as a Bronco. At least the reality and truth is out on the table, the fans know, Bowlen and McDaniel's are aware. All parties involved will then be on the same page! No Surprises----RIGHT?

As far as Jay signing a contract extension thats not the issue b/c we are assuming Cutler will want to sign an extension! If Cutler is smart, he'll learn McDaniel's system, play as best he can while in Denver over the next 3 years and test the waters in FA. In fact, Jay has all the advantages on his side for the remainder 3 years of his contract.

Cutler doesn't need to go 11-5 or 15-1, or win play off games these are dreams and of the fans and what Bowlen and McDaniel's are hoping for. All Cutler needs to do is put up Pro bowl type numbers, and this will ensure he will be a hot commodity when its his turn to test the FA waters.

Who knows, by the end of Cutlers contract in Denver, Jay maybe in a great position to reunite with "Mike Shanahan". Boy imagine how insanely crazy faithful Broncos fans and Cutler Haters would be with that scenario!!! Especially should Shanahan and Cutler win a couple of Super Bowels together, while McDaniels is still learning how to be a winning coach in the NFL.

Lastly, fans for the most part love the game b/c of the Players!!! Fans don't come to watch the game b/c they want to see a COACH. GET REAL FOLKS!!

I say Cutler has allot of LEVERAGE at this point---wouldn't you agree!!!!.
I think McDaniels lost leverage after the trade rumors started, and the same would happen to Cutler if he started to whsiper he wanted out. It's like they're showing their cards and are willing to take less (than a team totally committed to staying together) to change the situation.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
No, the problem is Jay is being the "crybaby pnuk". It has been very eye-opening and disappointing to see this utter lack of maturity from a guy who is supposed to be the face of the franchise. No one is jumping off his bandwagon, we just want him to be mature and go out prove that he is an elite QB on the field...something he has not done yet. Stop sucking your thumb and acting like someone stole your blanky and get to work on the field.
I am very close. His drinking combined with his ailment will cause him to crash and burn before he really gets going. I say trade him as close to his peak value as possible is likely is before this draft.

Now I am sorry the Cassel and picks trade fell through.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Like I said before, Vick will be available soon and you can probably get Matt Lienart or Vince Young for that POS Cutler. Hell you might be able to swing Derek Anderson. They need to get a real QB back in Denver.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I am very close. His drinking combined with his ailment will cause him to crash and burn before he really gets going. I say trade him as close to his peak value as possible is likely is before this draft.

Now I am sorry the Cassel and picks trade fell through.
Ouch that cuts deep!! It may not be that bad a least he still has his spleen, that has to have some trade value?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i cant wait for the season to start, even if we go 0-16 there will be less doom and gloom BS then this.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
Like I said before, Vick will be available soon and you can probably get Matt Lienart or Vince Young for that POS Cutler. Hell you might be able to swing Derek Anderson. They need to get a real QB back in Denver.
I don't think most of us want to trade him, but there needs to be a little more realistic balance to the fawning nut-swinging that goes on around here. Fact of the matter is Jay has a lot of growing up to do both on and off the field before he is in the elite QB class, which evidently he erroneously believes he's already in. He CAN enter that class, he has the ability, but he needs to cut back on the costly TOs. Five redzone picks is unacceptable, for instance. Yeah, he needs help from the D, but the D didn't make him throw redzone INTs and such with the team either ahead or narrowly behind.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't think most of us want to trade him, but there needs to be a little more realistic balance to the fawning nut-swinging that goes on around here. Fact of the matter is Jay has a lot of growing up to do both on and off the field before he is in the elite QB class, which evidently he erroneously believes he's already in. He CAN enter that class, he has the ability, but he needs to cut back on the costly TOs. Five redzone picks is unacceptable, for instance. Yeah, he needs help from the D, but the D didn't make him throw redzone INTs and such with the team either ahead or narrowly behind.
I am a Broncos fan first, so Jay Cutler or not I am going to be a fan. But before you try and trade your young pro-bowl QB, have a damn plan in place if the crap hits the fan. And no, no comment is not the way to get things to settle down. I have more confidence in a QB I have seen and know what he can do than a coach that seem to be feeling his way around like a blind man and is fixing things that aren't broken.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I don't think you actively shop him. The guy is still young. he has plenty of chances to mature. I think it was perfectly acceptable to listen to offers but I know the team were never actively shopping him. I have been the most critical guy here but even I think he can grow out of this phase.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

+Kurt Warner
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

I have absolutely no idea how Cutler's career will turn out. But I always say you can't "make" legends through hope and hype. And some guys in the hall of fame now were ripped and called overrated during their careers. So you just never know.

"The following disclaimer is not representative of Mel Kiper or the National Football League."
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

All I'm saying...is that most so-called fans have no real clue what it takes to become an elite QB. Jay Cutler is a kid that in his 3rd year...made it to the Pro-bowl. That despite his diabetes issues...and the Plummer controversey...and the Elway shadow...etc. And most of you whiners...are willing to trade him or kick him to the curb.

It's amazing just how stupid that sounds. Teams were willing to trade with Denver all right...they were willing to go get Cassell for us...just as long as they got Jay. But, oh yeah...let's kick this kid to the curb....he's alreay 25yrs old after all and oh my god...he's somewhat immature! How dare him.

I'll give McDaniels this much...he was smart enough to go get Simms as a backup plan...in case his ignorance has ruined his oppurtunity with Cutler.

And...why do you sign a backup QB to a 6m deal that can escelate to 9m for 2yrs?

For all you Shanny bashers out there...Mickey-D just might have a bigger EGO than he!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Bash the head coach, excuse the QB. This situation was poorly handled by everyone involved. Move past this, its nothing but offseason drama.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

CUTLER’S LONG-TERM STATUS IN DENVER REMAINS UP IN THE AIR

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 2:24 p.m.
As Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and quarterback Jay Cutler prepare for a Festivus-style airing of grievances at a time when the team insist that Cutler won’t be traded, a league source has shared with us some contractual details, which make clear the possibly short-term nature of the ongoing relationship between Cutler and the Broncos.
Per the source, Cutler has large roster bonuses due to be paid in 2010 and 2011, which means that the Broncos will have to decide after each of the next two years whether he justifies that type of financial commitment.
Next year, the roster bonus has a value of $4 million. In 2011, that amount triples, to $12 million.
So even though Cutler’s salaries are reasonably low ($1.035 million, $1.422 million, and $1.81 million, respectively), the Broncos’ new regime doesn’t have three years to figure out whether Cutler is the right fit.