The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default My Denver Bronco Draft...frist 4 picks

Everette Brown, OLB/DE Florida State

Strengths
Explosion: Brown has incredible burst off the edge
Balance: nobody in the college game stays lower throughout their stance on the way to the QB. He has an uncanny knack for ducking under long-armed tackles. (Think Dwight Freeney)

Versatility: Brown can play standing up but is also comfortable putting his hand on the ground
Work Ethic: The FSU coaches constantly praise this guy for his constant motor and work ethic.
Durability: Brown has never missed a game due to injury.
Dedication: Playing on the health idea, Brown takes excellent care of his body.
Skills: Although not a pure speed guy, Brown has a great variety of moves and is surprisingly advanced for an early-entry pass rusher.
Weaknesses
Size: Brown has a limited frame. He can probably play at 260-265lbs, but he is not a 275lb Shawn Merriman sized player. I think his best weight is 250-255.
Experience: Brown is still fairly raw. He has only started 26 games for the Seminoles. Despite being extremely productive, he occasionally makes mistakes.Poorly coached/ simple scheme: Many fans think defensive ends coach Jodey Allen is a poor coach. I agree. FSU also runs a very simple defensive scheme.
[IMG][/IMG]

In-Line blocker shedding: Brown sometimes struggles taking on huge offensive tackles in the run game.Given his size, Brown would almost assuredly be an outside linebacker in the Broncos 3-4. With that in mind, Tomahawk Nation had an intriguing comparison:

Quote:
Brown is the 2nd coming of Demarcus Ware
Coming out of school, Ware was 6'5 251, running a 4.59. Brown is 6'4, 255, running a 4.55 or 4.60 (depending on who is timing). Brown is a better player now than Ware was coming out of school.
Considering Ware finished with 20 sacks this season, I think the BRONCOS would be satisfied with those kind of numbers in a few years.

Ron Brace

Strengths: Brace possesses the size of a two-gap plugger, but the quickness to of a one-gap tackle. He uses that size and quickness to stuff the run nicely. He has a powerful base and is hard to move around. Because of that, running backs have to adjust where they're going or run right into Brace. Strong against the double team. During the 2008 season, Brace would regularly take up two blockers so teammate B.J. Raji could burst into the backfield. Uses his power to collapse the interior of the pocket. Good agility, which allows him to slide down the line really well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Weaknesses: Not especially productive. Had only 27 tackles as a senior, which is just over two a game. Really not a factor rushing the pass unless he can push a blocker back or gets an open lane. Some questions about his durability due to recurring back ailment in 2008. Pursuit and effort are lacking at times. Doesn't always fight hard to get through double teams. Inconsistent with his technique. Will get too upright at times negating his his strength.

Final word: Brace is a top run-stopping tackle who was often overshadowed by Raji. He may not be much of a pass rusher, but his ability against the run warrants such a high grade. A second-team All ACC member in 2008 and honorable mention in 2007. Has some versatility because he's a multi-technique tackle.

Jarron Gilbert
San Jose State University
Defensive Tackle/Defensive End
6′5″, 287 lbs.

Career Stats: 145 Tackles, 42.0 TFLs, 21.5 Sacks, 15 Passes Defensed, 3 Forced Fumbles

2008 Stats: 52 Tackles, 22.0 TFLs, 9.5 Sacks, 3 Passes Defensed, 2 Forced Fumbles

2007 Stats: 49 Tackles, 7.5 TFLs, 4.0 Sacks, 4 Passes Defensed, 1 Forced Fumble

Just because he comes from San Jose St., do not discount Jarron Gilbert. The guy has an amazing burst in leg strength and uses his hands very well to gain position. He’s got great power in both his upper and lower body. He executes a very reliable swim move to get into the backfield, as his stats can confirm.

It’s tough to find flaws in his game, but depending on his position in the pros, weight may need to be added. One can use the old story of him not facing much elite talent coming from San Jose St., but if a guy stands out the way Gilbert does, you must take a look at him.

He has even become a hot topic of sorts from his youtube video .

Jason Phillips
Inside Linebacker

TCU

Senior

6′ 1″ 235 lbs.

Strengths: Speed, recognition skills, versatility, toughness

Weakness: Size, strength, athleticism

Date: 2 Jan. 2009

One of the most underrated prospects in the country entering the draft, TCU LB Jason Phillips is a 4-time All-MWC selection, including 1st team 2008, and has led the Horned Frogs in tackles in three of his four seasons with the team. He has started all but one game in his 4 years at TCU and is one of 8 TCU defenders named 1st- or 2nd-Team All-MWC this year.

What Phillips lacks in size, strength and athleticism, he makes up for with speed, heart and intelligence. He is versatile enough that he could potentially play all three LB spots depending on the system he’s in. Phillips is equally strong against the pass as he is against the run. One of the major adjustments for rookie LB is the speed of the passing games in the NFL. Phillips should be able to quickly adapt to this in the NFL. With 2 pass break-ups this year Phillips has notched 11 total in three years along with 3 INT. Not overwhelming numbers but indicative of his abilities in this area. Where he stands out is his ability to crash backfields and disrupt plays. He has notched 38.5 TFL in his career with 7.5 sacks. He displays good speed and short area quickness against both the run and pass and does a good job of using his hands to defeat blocks. Phillips has the skills to be a load on the blitz but must get better at finishing. While not overly strong, he is physical and does not shy from contact and hits hard. He has good technique tackling and usually takes good angles to the ball.

His size is not much of an issue but despite his good speed and quickness, he is not a top notch athlete and can be limited changing directions. He has enough straight line speed and awareness to get downfield in coverage but this is not his strong suit and will probably be best in short zones. That said he can handle covering RB and TE as long as heʼs not asked to stay with them for too long. He has played the middle for TCU but projects as more of an OLB in a scheme that emphasizes speed over size. While physical, heʼs not naturally strong
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

Quote:
Brown is the 2nd coming of Demarcus Ware
Coming out of school, Ware was 6'5 251, running a 4.59. Brown is 6'4, 255, running a 4.55 or 4.60 (depending on who is timing). Brown is a better player now than Ware was coming out of school.

Brown measured under 6'2'' at the combine. Still, he's durable with a variety of pass rush moves. A safe pick by Denver standards.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Jason Philips just blew out his knee, torn meniscus.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I would love those first 3 picks. But I doubt any of them are there where you selected them.

We will see, but Brown is a top 10 pick, and I bet Brace is a top 40 pick.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I would not complain about your top 3
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I love Brown and think Gilbert is talented. JG is probably a solid 2nd round pick now. I think Brace is over-valued because there are no NT's in this draft. Phillips is good but his stock will take a hit because of his knee health.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I think the first 3 picks would be the absolute best draft the Broncos could have . Phillip stock should drop and maybe the Broncos use a 6 or 7 round pick on him.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Balance: nobody in the college game stays lower throughout their stance on the way to the QB. He has an uncanny knack for ducking under long-armed tackles.
That is probably because he is short. It is like saying Dumervil is able to get under the pads of most tackles, it is not because of his balance and amazing leverage it is because he is short.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I've seen the move they are talking about with Brown. It's really weird looking but he has a great burst off the ball, presses the OT up the field and seems to generate another quick burst in motion... while doing this, he dips his head and college tackles have had a hard time getting a body on him when he does it. It's unlike any technique i've ever seen before. Check the video at the top of the thread posted about Brown and then go to time 00:40.

I don't know if it will work in the pro's but he should be able to get leverage on OT's at the next level. The guy reminds me of Dwight Freeney but with my quick twitch directional speed.

Last edited by bpc; 03-08-2009 at 01:19 PM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I've seen the move they are talking about with Brown. It's really weird looking but he has a great burst off the ball, presses the OT up the field and seems to generate another quick burst in motion... while doing this, he dips his head and college tackles have had a hard time getting a body on him when he does it. It's unlike any technique i've ever seen before. Check the video at the top of the thread posted about Brown and then go to time 00:40.

I don't know if it will work in the pro's but he should be able to get leverage on OT's at the next level. The guy reminds me of Dwight Freeney but with my quick twitch directional speed.
Watch the feet. He just gives a stutter step and then ducks the punch. That won't work at the next level 90% of the time, but he's got so many other positives that he should be extremely successful
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: