The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default The ball is in L.T.'s court

THE BALL IS IN L.T.’S COURT
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 10:03 p.m. EST
Amid rumors that Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson won’t take a pay cut and in the wake of a radio interview during which his mother complained that the team is offering her son “crumbs” moving forward, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have made their final offer to Tomlinson, and that the decision is now in his hands as to whether he’ll stay.

Per Acee, the length of the revised contract isn’t clear, but it’s certain that the Chargers will be paying L.T. less than the $24 million he’s due to make over the next three years.

Surely, agent Tom Condon has gauged the market elsewhere for Tomlinson’s services. But, then again, Tomlinson might ultimately take even less with another team than he’d make with the Chargers, given the human-nature reluctance to take a substantial pay cut from a current employer.

The other reality is Tomlinson’s role. Surely, he still wants to be the go-to guy, but the Chargers might envision an arrangement like the one the Jags employed in 2007 and 2008, with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew sharing touches. Other teams potentially interested in Tomlinson might want to use Tomlinson in the same way.

The other reality here is that, with franchise player Darren Sproles due to make $6.6 million guaranteed in 2009, Tomlinson surely won’t want to make less than a third-down back and kick returner.

So the signs are pointing to a divorce, either by trade (with a new contract) or outright release. Either way, if looks as if, for the second year in a row, a former league MVP will no longer be playing for his original team only two years after winning the award.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-in-lts-court/

Admit it: it would be really fun if the chargers cut him, he came to Denver on the cheap out of spite, and rolled up a 1,500 yard season for us.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

hell, i'll take him in a heartbeat

he would for sure bust off 2k in our system(whatever it maybe at this point)
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

whether he stays or goes, I wouldnt be surprised to see Sandy eggo taking a running back early in the draft.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Hopefully he goes to the Lions, it would be a perfect match. They have money and never make the play-offs and LT likes sitting down and watching the games that time of year anyway.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Hopefully he goes to the Lions, it would be a perfect match. They have money and never make the play-offs and LT likes sitting down and watching the games that time of year anyway.
I want him to go to Tampa Bay... would freak Derek Ward the hell out.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

The softcore fans who came onboard in 2004 will be headed off the cliff soon enough, I think. Good riddance. Thanks for the good years LT. Enjoy New Orleans. The life of a 30 year old runningback is not a graceful one, I'm afraid.

Edit:
It should be noted that the source of this article, Kevin Acee, seems to have about as much inside knowledge about these things as I do.

Last edited by 400HZ; 03-06-2009 at 08:44 PM..
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

LT in New Orleans would be a scary prospect for the NFC South. It might actually extend LT's career to play with a guy like reggie Bush. Never know.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
The softcore fans who came onboard in 2004 will be headed off the cliff soon enough, I think. Good riddance. Thanks for the good years LT. Enjoy New Orleans. The life of a 30 year old runningback is not a graceful one, I'm afraid.
Like theres another kind of sparkler fan!!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Like theres another kind of sparkler fan!!

Come on brah, san diego fans are like, TOTALLY sarias about the uh...the uh...ya kna brah, the footie team with the lightning on da helmet brah. We are like SO for them...you know? HAHA...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Come on brah, san diego fans are like, TOTALLY sarias about the uh...the uh...ya kna brah, the footie team with the lightning on da helmet brah. We are like SO for them...you know? HAHA...

You all have had plenty of no-shows the past couple seasons, brah.

Until you have attended all 8 fun filled homegames of a 1-15 team, .
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

hahaha its ridiculous to think that charger "fans" are all have surfer drawl, they're mostly from Chula Vista anyway.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
You all have had plenty of no-shows the past couple seasons, brah.

Until you have attended all 8 fun filled homegames of a 1-15 team, .

Gahd brah your harshin my karma brah...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Rumor is that New Orleans is indeed interested in LT.

I think he can still play at a high level for one more year (provided he is healthy again). In 2010 when he's 31, I think that's really pushing it to continue at a high level but if there is anyone who can defy the odds I think he can but I think it's pretty unlikely.

As usual with players who hit his age, they can't accept it. They won't take a reduced role with reduced money. And I think his ego won't allow him to be making less money than another running back on the team. I definitely want to see him finish his career here but he's got to be realistic about things. He's in a position where it's proven that it's impossible to finish your career as a starter past a certain age.

The ironic thing is that if he goes to the Saints, he'll be sharing time with Bush and Thomas and will probably be making less than Bush. The NFL isn't a feature back league anymore. It's all about having two or more capable backs. LT needs to put his ego aside on this one and see that his situation here isn't going to be much different than anywhere else.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Weve allready gotten our quota of washed up backs. If his groin heals, put on a performance contract.

I want a fresh GREEN RB from Iowa.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
hahaha its ridiculous to think that charger "fans" are all have surfer drawl, they're mostly from Chula Vista anyway.
You talkin' to me, esse?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

bring him in and let Hillis be the Michael Turner type of back he was missing this year.

that is a true thunder and lightning combo right there. Hillis cracking skulls and then LT torching beat down defenses.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
JJJ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wherever he is in 2009 I just have a feeling he will have a great season. The guy is by no means washed up and he will want to prove it.

I would think AJ could offer the guy an incentive-laid contract based on number of games played or yards gained. I think LTs pride could handle that and it protects the team from any additional injury situations.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #18
clint7
Ring of Famer

It's never good when the bitter mom gets invovled to stick up for her little boy.
clint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

I wouldn't be surprised if when he is cut the Cardinals go after him and then release Edge....
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if when he is cut the Cardinals go after him and then release Edge....
I agree, this makes sense. Edge is out and with Warner having one/two more years tops, it'd make sense for LT to go to AZ and perhaps make a run for a SB. The only division weaker than the AFCW is the NFCW.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

I doubt the Chuggers don't get him back under terms he can deal with. But his mom and Kevin Acee both said they are not feeling good about the situation
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

im sure he will remain a Chugger.

But if he is released or available for a late round pick, Id take him in a heartbeat.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote