The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Staying at #12 is looking like bad news

I have reviewed every player in the 1st round on almost all mock drafts there are and tried to see how they would fit in with the Broncos and then take in account where we would draft them.

The draft is about 2 things. Getting a player you need and getting value.

I don't think you will see much movement in the top 5 slots. The teams slotted to pick there I think will stay because I don't think most teams will want to move up that high. So picks 6-15 I think is where alot of teams would like to be. I believe the Broncos will be contacted for a trade for that 12th pick and I think it makes the most sense based on what players I think will be there versus our teams needs.

When I look at all the players projected to go in the 1st round, these 14 guys below to me will surely go in the top 14. From 15-20 I think that's where it starts to get tricky and some surprises picks can show up.

QB Matt Stafford
LB, Aaron Curry
DT, B. J. Raji
DE/OLB, Brian Orakpo
OT, Jason Smith
WR, Michael Crabtree
OT, Eugene Monroe
WR, Jeremy Maclin
OT, Michael Oher
OLB, Everette Brown
LB, Brian Cushing
CB, Vontae Davis
TE, Brandon Pettigrew
DT, Peria Jerry

I have no doubts that Stafford, Raji, Curry, Smith and Crabtree will be the top 5 picks.

So that leaves these 9 guys at 6-14

DE/OLB, Brian Orakpo
OT, Eugene Monroe
WR, Jeremy Maclin
OT, Michael Oher
OLB, Everette Brown
LB, Brian Cushing
CB, Vontae Davis
TE, Brandon Pettigrew
DT, Peria Jerry

We don't need any OT's, WR's, or TE's. That would not be a value pick for us.

So that leaves these 5 players left who would give us the most value because we need to improve our defense.

DE/OLB, Brian Orakpo
OLB, Everette Brown
LB, Brian Cushing
CB, Vontae Davis
DT, Peria Jerry

But here is my big stink. I think with the 12th pick, none of these guys to me are a lock in our system and we already have some guys on our team that have skills similar.

Everette Brown - When looking at this strengths & weaknesses, he compares to Doom quite a bit. More suited for pass rush, decent against the run but struggles dropping back into coverage. Not the best value for us at #12 because we have somebody pretty close to that already.

Brian Cushing - Sure, we could use a LB like him no doubt. But with Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Mathews and Barwin who are so very close in talent and physical ability that can be had at a much lower pick, again, we lose the value picking any of these guys at #12.

Brian Orakpo - This pick would kinda scare me. It's said he isn't the most gifted athelete and truly doesn't do any one thing great. But instead is a solid player in alot of areas. We drafted a DE from Texas not long ago with those same tags on him and Crowder has showed us that review of him was dead on. To me, not so much about value here but not sure taking a risk on a guy with not much upside in terms of him already peaking physically would be a smart move at #12.

Peria Jerry - I can't help but think he is a slightly bigger version of Marcus Thomas. Not a true run plugging strong NT but instead more of a penetrating NT who depends more on hands, speed and moves then he does pure brute size and strength. If we can't move down, I could live with this pick because I think he would handle the NT better then anybody we have but the value isn't great here because he isn't the "type" of NT we are looking for and the fact Thomas is somewhat close to the same type of player, value is a little shady at #12.

Vontae Davis - Fast, great cover guy, doesn't have a whole lot of weaknesses to his game. With a dominant CB on our team already, again, having 2 seems a little overkill when you have so much need on the DL. A solid player who I think will be a great player soon in the NFL, his value for us would be okay. Not what we would prefer, but okay.

So to me, the value truly is in moving down because then we would get additional picks to help build depth and it would allow us to pick up a player close to these top guys lower in the 1st.

I think the top 2 guys on my board for value to this team if we had to stay at 12 and the 5 guys just above were available, I would have to say Davis and Perry would be our best choices and provide us the best VALUE at #12.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-06-2009 at 12:35 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out WR.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

There are sleepers and busts at every pick in every round
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

where is Rey Rey??
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
No duh, there is no way you factor that in who you pick because nobody knows who the sleepers or busts are. So then you look to value and need.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Orakpo is a freak. He would be an absolute steal at 12.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
YEAH! Quit yer b****in!

I say Cushing. He can play outside or inside.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
where is Rey Rey??
Dude, that is what I am talking about. Did you not read this part:

Brian Cushing - Sure, we could use a LB like him no doubt. But with Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Mathews and Barwin who are so very close in talent and physical ability that can be had at a much lower pick, again, we lose the value picking any of these guys at #12.

Rey Rey is projected 20-25.

Again, you have so many LB's similar (Cushing, Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Mathews and Barwin) who are so very close in talent, it doesn't make sense to take any one of them at #12 when you could get the ones left on the board around #25.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

Again, you have so many LB's similar (Cushing, Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Mathews and Barwin) who are so very close in talent, it doesn't make sense to take any one of them at #12 when you could get the ones left on the board around #25.
Hey dude, DEN is just going to have to grow a pair, man up and pick one!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Broncos need a guy that can get pressure on the QB, either at a DL spot or an OLB spot if in a 3-4 defense. To me, that's the biggest need.

If going with a 3-4, if Dumervil stays, which is a big if, they need another rusher on the other side. The best 3-4 defenses have 2 OLB's that give the OL trouble in the passing game.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
Except he plays for UT
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

You're evaluation of Rey is off....

That's just my opinion but I put him in the 11-16 range
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Great thread. I have this bad gut feeling (these are usually spot on) that we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. While thinking that if the draft falls the way it should. We will have to make our defualt pick between Jackson from LSU or Rey M. from USC. While I think there is a good chance Raji will fall to us, I think ultimately that Orakpo and Bj will go right before we pick. Im scarred.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
No duh, there is no way you factor that in who you pick because nobody knows who the sleepers or busts are. So then you look to value and need.

Right, which is why I wouldnt worry about having the 12th pick, or the 5th or the 19th or the 25th, or the 1st.

No need to get worried about having the 12th pick, we just have to hope the coaching staff will pick what they think is the best player at the position we need most. We can criticize or praise the coaches on our opinions after they pick. No need to get hyped about how good/bad the 12th pick is.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

If we are going to take a LB in the first round, he had better be able to rush the passer... my hope would be Cushing from that standpoint.

I am a big subscriber to the University of Texas Bust Theory.... just look at everyone that has come out of that University since Ricky Williams and look how their pro career has gone. I would say no to Orakpo as well.

Looking at it this way I kind of hope we don't stay at #12 this year, move up or move down.

And can we please not call any more football players "Rey-Rey" or any variation unless you are doing so to mock them?
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
He's not a freak dude. Brown is a much more gifted athlete then Orakpo is. Orakpo is gifted but I think he is much more in the lines of a Simeon Rice type of DE. A true undersized DE suite to play the weakside in a 4-3. I think he could do okay in the NFL in a 3-4 but I don't think that's where he would excell. To me, yeah, I could live with him if we couldn't move down, but I'd still rather have Perry or Davis instead of him if all 3 were available at #12. Just because some mock drafts have him slated around 8-10 or so doesn't mean he's a great value for us at #12.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Finding a partner to trade back with and get equal value is easier said than done.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplelefthook View Post
And can we please not call any more football players "Rey-Rey" or any variation unless you are doing so to mock them?
No No, Way Way
Old 03-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What about Sintim from Virginia? He's an DE/OLB hybrid type who put up good numbers.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
No No, Way Way
it's very gay-gay
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Finding a partner to trade back with and get equal value is easier said than done.
True, you have to have I think several teams wanting your spot for a deal to go through because if you have just one team asking, you basically almost have to accept their terms. But I think in the past more teams wanted to get into the top 10 where as now, I think most teams will want 10-15 just so they can get some relief from those huge contracts. I think if some of these top rated OT's still on the board, we could very well see some teams trying to move up to our slot to get one. OT is still regarded as a premier position. And there are 3 or 4 guys at OT I think that could go in the top 15.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I wouldn't be sad if we traded down with the Vikes for their #54 and next year's fourth and picked Clay Matthews at 22. We could watch Bellychuck squeal when we stole his player right from under his nose. Then with the #48 and #54 we could walk away with Ayers and Jarius Byrd. Works for me.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-06-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
What about Sintim from Virginia? He's an DE/OLB hybrid type who put up good numbers.
See, now that's what this thread is all about. Moving out of #12, getting a pick or 2 extra and getting a player like this is what you call VALUE and addressing your needs.

Well done mate.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I wouldn't be sad if we traded down with the Vikes for their #54 and next year's fourth and picked Clay Matthews. We could watch Bellychuck squeal when we stole his player right from under his nose. Then with the #48 and #54 we could walk away with Ayers and Jarius Byrd. Works for me.
Get Cushing at #12.
I think CMathews will be there at #48
Or maybe package some pics to move up into the top of the 2nd round and get Cmathews.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
Except he plays for UT
I hope that with a REAL Defensive coach Crowder will come to life
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote