The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default My own personal Mock Draft

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Round 1 - NT Ron Brace - I know that the draft gurus around here are going to call foul and say that this is a reach. But I personally think that it would be unforgivable to not come out of this draft without either BJ Raji or Ron Brace on this defense. I think it would be a setback not to come out of this draft with one of the two top NT prospects in this draft.

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

Round 2 - DT Evander Hood - A big boy with a big motor! Paired with Brace, these two would force runningbacks to take the long way, and give our linebackers plenty of time to read and react to the play.

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

Round 3 - LB Darry Beckwith - A locker room leader known to make plays. Beckwith would make an excellent "QB of the defense," and make an immediate impact on this squad. There are some injury questions, but in round 3 his upside is well worth the risk. I really like this kid:

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

Round 4 - LB Daniel Holtzclaw - I like everything I've been able to get my hands on about this kid. He's a real "leader by example" type. Aside from the fact that he's put up monster stats throughout his career, I love the fact that he's started every game in his college career. Broncos fans would fall in love with this guy.

Round 5 #1 - QB Mike Reilly - Very similar measurables to Tom Brady. Is a very efficient, very accurate quarterback - protects the ball, finds the safe outlet, throws it away if it's not there. Owns the college football record for most consecutive games with a TD (41).

Round 5 #2 - S Emanuel Cook - An experienced safety who finds a way to get to the ball. He's a smaller type of safety (think Tyrone Braxton with more muscle), but he's built like a rock, is a sure tackler, and hits a ton.

Round 6 - DE Orion Martin - a good prospect for the right side DE position in the 3-4 - even though he's a Hokie.

I'm having a hard time making a decision for our picks in round 7 right now... I'll have to revisit my list in a week or two and see if my current thoughts hold up.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-05-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

(dump)
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

to be honest i don't like it taco...brace could very well be there at 48 and if not i wouldn't be completely heartbroken

i don't mind hood, but beckwith is a 4-3 LB IMO...too small and doesn't get off blocks very well
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Shanny did enough reaching in the draft for my likes. Brace is not 1st round material any way you look at it. Us the first on Tyson, then if needed, move up a few spots in the 2nd to get Brace.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Looks like a perfect "Shanahan" draft, TJ. Well done.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Why take that Reily kid there? Im sure Beokmen will be available then as well and he is much better.

I agree with everyone above with Brace, that is wayyy to big a reach.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Brace in the 2nd may be a reach! BOA at 12, then do the Brace thing in the 2nd if you must. I would prefer someone like Gilbert or hood if they were there. I think we will go with a pass rusher in the 1st.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Sorry, I just don't like this one either.

I have Brace pegged in the lower second round. With these targets, we should trade down, and pick up another second rounder. I would even take a high third rounder (giving up value).

#12 on Brace would be a big mistake IMO. He hasn't shown me he can be a day 1 starter. I'd rather take Wells or Moreno at #12 (and I think we should go defense, so that is saying something).

Also, I love Beckwith as a player, but I don't know what role he plays. He would project as an ILB, but we already have several potential ILB's, and I don't know that he improves us there.

We need some small D-ends to play at SOLB. I would look at some of the 260-270 lb D-ends at this spot. Project guys like Barwin are the perfect pick here (although I think he goes in round 2).

I think it would be a major mistake to pass on a Safety in round 2. The thought of Delmas, Johnson, Chung, or Moore learning from Dawkins gives me goosebumps. Think of Delmas/Dawkins or Chung/Dawkins - they would be knocking the **** out of people in the middle of the field.

I don't know the round 4-6 picks so no comment there.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I have 2 main complaints with Brace that early. Firstly it will be a value nightmare, he may not be drafted in the top half of the 2nd round by any other team. Secondly, he hasn't shown he can handle double teams, BJ Raji has been taking on double teams all year leaving Brace in single blocking.

I am not sure about Beckwith, I like his intangibles and his production, but his measurables and injuries are a big question mark.

The late round picks are very interesting.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Epic Fail
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I knew people wouldn't like the Brace pick so early, but I think he'll be gone by the time we have a shot at him in the second round. If we could trade down and get him, that would be great, but I think there's a danger of Green Bay moving up to take him off the board.

I'd rather have Raji, but I don't expect he'll be there at 12, so I'd take Brace.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I knew people wouldn't like the Brace pick so early, but I think he'll be gone by the time we have a shot at him in the second round. If we could trade down and get him, that would be great, but I think there's a danger of Green Bay moving up to take him off the board.

I'd rather have Raji, but I don't expect he'll be there at 12, so I'd take Brace.
I really wonder if he'd be any better than Fields?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

The problem with taking Brace that high, aside from the fact that he isn't even close to the talent level of players we could select instead is that we will be paying big money to a guy we could be paying small money to. That is not good business.

I think we are much better off at 12 getting Tyson Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Malcolm Jenkins, Rey Maualuga.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I really wonder if he'd be any better than Fields?
Who can guess... The only way you know is through competition, and even if Fields wins the job, he'll need an able back-up. Fields was a lower round pick, and I think everyone would probably agree that Brace will most likely be gone by the second round - which is an anecdotal way of saying that Brace has more upside.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Who can guess... The only way you know is through competition, and even if Fields wins the job, he'll need an able back-up. Fields was a lower round pick, and I think everyone would probably agree that Brace will most likely be gone by the second round - which is an anecdotal way of saying that Brace has more upside.
I wouldn't see much argument with drafting Brace in the first if it was a low first (at least in the twenties) although I'm not that wild about him. But a #12 pick should be a difference maker on a lot of levels. There are some real playmakers that will be around at the 12 slot (Rey, Cushing, Brown?). Brace is not anywhere near that category. Picking him at 12 just because Raji is gone would be just filling a slot and grossly ignoring the BPA idea. Hell, I would hope, if they were going to reach, they would take Clay Matthews at 12 before Brace. At least Clay has a whole bunch of upside and versatility (STs).
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I wouldn't see much argument with drafting Brace in the first if it was a low first (at least in the twenties) although I'm not that wild about him. But a #12 pick should be a difference maker on a lot of levels. There are some real playmakers that will be around at the 12 slot (Rey, Cushing, Brown?). Brace is not anywhere near that category. Picking him at 12 just because Raji is gone would be just filling a slot and grossly ignoring the BPA idea. Hell, I would hope, if they were going to reach, they would take Clay Matthews at 12 before Brace. At least Clay has a whole bunch of upside and versatility (STs).
Brace isn't a first rounder - period. I actually wouldn't be surprised at all to see Ziggy Hood off the board before Brace.

Brace will easily be there with our second round pick, maybe a small trade up in the third could snag him. Look for a Terrance Taylor or Sammie Lee Hill type of NT in rounds 3-5 - that's your "project" NT. Hell, draft 2-3 of them. We finally have the coaches to develop the talent.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Trade up to get Raji.

I don't follow colloege football... seriously is this and exceptionally good DT core this year? Or is there a viable linbacker this year.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

You're breaking a cardinal rule and that's don't get too locked in on one guy and then reach for them. I think you take BPA regardless and at 12 there are MANY, MANY better players available.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're breaking a cardinal rule and that's don't get too locked in on one guy and then reach for them. I think you take BPA regardless and at 12 there are MANY, MANY better players available.
It's not one guy I'm locked into - it's the position. Normally, I would agree with you that we should take BPA, but in most years we aren't switching to a 3-4 with specific needs to fill in order to make it work.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
It's not one guy I'm locked into - it's the position. Normally, I would agree with you that we should take BPA, but in most years we aren't switching to a 3-4 with specific needs to fill in order to make it work.
This is especially dangerous. Our first year will need us to hit on as many draft picks as possible. If he busts, it's a colossal failure because not only is he overpaid but he's overpaid for a reach. It's asking to open the new era with a Willie Middlebrooks situation. That's not the way you want to inspire faith in the new leadership. Even if he hits, it will take a few years for him to come around because DT's take so long catch up to the pro game. People will be slamming the front office for at least two years.

It's best player available regardless of need. If that means we end up never having someone to fit DT at where we're at, then that's what it means. I'd rather hit on other positions of lesser need than take a round 2 prospect in the top 15.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

We need to find a star with that first pick. Easy enough. When a first year coach drafts a guy in the 1st round, he is married to this guy. So McD better get it right.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Why take that Reily kid there?

Reily strikes me as a "McDaniels" kind of quarterback.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

OK, here's my NT pick. I would choose Terrence Taylor over Brace straight up.

Every time I see a video of Taylor, he plays 3-4 NT. And, he moves the line. Brace gets his fat ass shoved sideways too often, and he gets single matchups when Raji gets doubled. I would take Brace in the low second or third, but I already think Taylor would be available with our third round pick.

There are a couple other videos on this site that show short clips of his run-stuffing ability. And remember, he was second on the bench at the combine and has a wrestling/powerlifting background.

Watch more viddler videos on AOL Video

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: