The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Did the running backs we signed even fit our system?

Normally we look for one-cut running backs with good vision. Do Lamont Jordan, Correll Buckhalter, and JJ Arrington possess those skills? I don't know.

It seems to me that we went willy and nilly with our backs that we signed. I've seen Jordan run and he doesn't strike me as a one-cut back; he seems like more of a bulldozer. Arrington is a skat-back. And I can't say that Buckhalter is a one-cut back one way or another.

Usually we are pretty picky about who we bring in to run back there (mostly lower round backs who can cut) but this year it seems like we took any back that was cheap or available. We even tried to get Derrick Ward. Was every running back on the market a one-cut back or is McDaniels just going with guys he wants and eschewing the system of Turner and Dennison?
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Normally we look for one-cut running backs with good vision. Do Lamont Jordan, Correll Buckhalter, and JJ Arrington possess those skills? I don't know.

It seems to me that we went willy and nilly with our backs that we signed. I've seen Jordan run and he doesn't strike me as a one-cut back; he seems like more of a bulldozer. Arrington is a skat-back. And I can't say that Buckhalter is a one-cut back one way or another.

Usually we are pretty picky about who we bring in to run back there (mostly lower round backs who can cut) but this year it seems like we took any back that was cheap or available. We even tried to get Derrick Ward. Was every running back on the market a one-cut back or is McDaniels just going with guys he wants and eschewing the system of Turner and Dennison?
What part of this offseason has been "normal?"
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Does anyone really know what our system is at this point?
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Plus, do we even know what our "system" is going to be this year?
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Shanny's system is out the door..

we hired a new coach btw
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Plus, do we even know what our "system" is going to be this year?
Beat ya to it!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought we were keeping the zone-blocking scheme, no? That is why Dennison was retained and we haven't signed any free agent offensive lineman sans Lonnie Paxson who is more known for his long-snapping skills.

I don't know what system you can run other than zone blocking with the light offensive linemen we have.

I thought it was a foregone conclusion we were keeping the zone-blocking/one-cut back system we are famous for.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

I think that out of the three backs, Buckhalter seems to fit the one cut and go mode. From what I've seen from him in Philly he seems to have power between the tackles. Perhaps not the best outside runner or pass catcher, but good between the tackles.

Given that Bobby Turner is still coaching for the Broncos, I can't imagine that these backs can't be successful. Since he is still on, I imagine that McDaniels will not completely throw away the zone blocking scheme... i think if was to do that, Dennison and Turner would both be gone.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post

Given that Bobby Turner is still coaching for the Broncos, I can't imagine that these backs can't be successful. Since he is still on, I imagine that McDaniels will not completely throw away the zone blocking scheme... i think if was to do that, Dennison and Turner would both be gone.
Exactly. We are almost forced to run that system because of our offensive lineman. Even if McDaniels wanted to change the way we block, he couldn't without revamping the inside of our offensive line. And he hasn't done that.

And pretty much, if we were changing our blocking scheme, Ben Hamilton's 285 pound self would have been gone with the first cuts.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Shanny's system is out the door..

we hired a new coach btw
damn! we better start another thread
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Does anyone really know what our system is at this point?
That's what I was going to say. "Our" system was Shanahan's system. So, now we'll just have to wait and see what "our" system is when the season begins.
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

It's all in the "Plan"

Whatever that might be
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I know that both Buckhalter and Jordan have been on our radar in the past, especially Buckhalter--we supposedly loved him coming out of college. That makes me think that they are both guys that fit Turner's RB mold. The real qustion is; is Buckhalter the same cutter with two surgically repaired knees and does Jordan still have anything left in the tank? I'm skeptical on both. I don't think Arrington is ever going to see a ball come his way except on kickoffs, punts, and possibly the occasional trick play. So it doesn't really matter if he fits. I'm still really holding out hope that Torain can stay healthy. I still think he's the best back we have on this roster if he does.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I know that both Buckhalter and Jordan have been on our radar in the past, especially Buckhalter--we supposedly loved him coming out of college. That makes me think that they are both guys that fit Turner's RB mold. The real qustion is; is Buckhalter the same cutter with two surgically repaired knees and does Jordan still have anything left in the tank? I'm skeptical on both. I don't think Arrington is ever going to see a ball come his way except on kickoffs, punts, and possibly the occasional trick play. So it doesn't really matter if he fits. I'm still really holding out hope that Torain can stay healthy. I still think he's the best back we have on this roster if he does.
Good post.

Ok, good, that resolves it. Good to know that Buckhalter and Jordan have been on our radar screen for a while.

Yea, and with Arrington, he is pretty much our kick returner and 3rd down receiving back.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The Bronco way has failed for the last decade to win enough games to make Broncos successful.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Beat ya to it!
Yeah you did! damn slow internet... I will get you one day!!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote