The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Denver Post: Hillis to compete for "role" position

Deal for RB Ward comes up a bit short
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/03/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
Updated: 03/03/2009 01:49:33 AM MST

Good news, Correll Buckhalter.

Feel free to breathe, Ryan Torain. The Broncos could not close the deal for their top free-agent running back choice, Derrick Ward. And a deal for Arizona Cardinals free-agent running back J.J. Arrington has all but fallen apart.

Ward, who will turn 29 before the 2009 season opener, rushed for 1,025 yards on 5.6 yards per carry as a backup tailback last season for the New York Giants. He visited with the Broncos on Sunday but did not accept their four-year offer.

Instead, Ward signed Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four years and $17 million. That's well off the Michael Turner deal of six years, $34.5 million that Ward was seeking when free agency opened. But the Bucs' deal was too rich for Denver.

Arrington, meanwhile, has moved on. He had a four-year, $10 million deal in place with the Broncos last Friday, but the deal fell apart.

He has been drawing interest from other teams, including his latest team, the Cardinals.

With Ward gone and Arrington fading, Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the Broncos' starting running back.

Torain, whose rookie season was decimated by serious injuries to his elbow and knee, will compete with Buckhalter for the top spot. Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportshead...873?source=rss
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
yerner
Ring of Famer

Role Position? Popps will not be happy.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Denver Post

Feel free to breathe, Ryan Torain. The Broncos could not close the deal for their top free-agent running back choice, Derrick Ward. And a deal for Arizona Cardinals free-agent running back J.J. Arrington has all but fallen apart.

Ward, who will turn 29 before the 2009 season opener, rushed for 1,025 yards on 5.6 yards per carry as a backup tailback last season for the New York Giants. He visited with the Broncos on Sunday but did not accept their four-year offer.

Instead, Ward signed Monday with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for four years and $17 million. That's well off the Michael Turner deal of six years, $34.5 million that Ward was seeking when free agency opened. But the Bucs' deal was too rich for Denver.

Arrington, meanwhile, has moved on. He had a four-year, $10 million deal in place with the Broncos last Friday, but the deal fell apart.

He has been drawing interest from other teams, including his latest team, the Cardinals.

With Ward gone and Arrington fading, Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the Broncos' starting running back.

Torain, whose rookie season was decimated by serious injuries to his elbow and knee, will compete with Buckhalter for the top spot. Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

Isn't this just what the Post thinks?

If Hillis is as good as we think he is than he will win the job in camp, or at least the #2 spot.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

With the log jam at HB, I don't see why Hillis wouldn't just be moved back too FB. Even though NE used their FB sparingly, they still carried one. Him an Heath Evans are about the same size.

Keep him listed at FB, give him some carries here and there, and utilize him as a receiver.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd be hella pissed if Hillis was released.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't see the problem here. They all go to camp and the cream rises to the top, just as it should be.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

So Jordan is starting at RB? I'm not the coach but Hillis deserves a chance at the starting spot.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It's obvious McDaniels will be one of these coaches that has "his" guys and if you aren't one of his guys you're SOL... and it's annoying as hell already.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Yes, they'll compete for roles a members of the running back committee. I'm confident that Hillis will show McD and the staff what he's all about, plus Turner and Dennison are there and know what he can do.

Also, just FYI, this article is from yesterday. Old news in today's world.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
It's obvious McDaniels will be one of these coaches that has "his" guys and if you aren't one of his guys you're SOL... and it's annoying as hell already.
I agree. Hillis is our best RB, a hell of a receiver, a decent blocker and a hard working mofo! If we cut him or don't even use him I will be pissed.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Looks like Young will get 3,000 yards this year.

Also... too bad this article is BEFORE we actually signed J.J. on top of LeMont.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

This is the opinion of the writer, not fact.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is just speculation. This new regime has obviously shown already that they don't communicate much with the press. Also, I just can't imagine that after seeing the tapes of Hillis this past season that McDaniels isn't considering using him in a prominent role. The guy has proven to be a very effective weapon both as a rusher and receiver.
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This isn't even official. The Broncos don't talk to the press anymore so I can play make believe be just as credible.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Denver Post

LINK

Can the Post get anything remotely close to right at this point?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
whats sad is thats kinda how it feels. if this isnt an open competition in camp, something is really ****ed up.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
Meck77

People.....Competition is good. Let the boys fight it out in camp. It's what it's for. I can't wait to attend a McD camp to be honest.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I think if the wunderkid doesnt cut or trade Hillis by TC then he will make these new mother****ers recognize who the man is around here.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
People.....Competition is good. Let the boys fight it out in camp. It's what it's for. I can't wait to attend a McD camp to be honest.
Well if Hillis is there it really wont be a competition.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

it's March for crying out loud...

even though i don't believe Hillis is expected by McD to be in the regular RB rotation, once camp starts and ends and the smoke clears, McD won't be able to ignore how well Hillis looks totin that pill with the rock in his hands...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
The Denver Post

It's the DP, translation: we're pretty much in the dark here.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I prefer Hillis, Young and Torain to ... Buckalter, Arrington and Warren.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Buckhalter is a talented back when healthy. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come out as a #1 or #2 RB. The thing about the Patriots system is that they just don't pound the ball the way we used to under Shanahan. It's a much more varied scheme. So, I expect more backs to be used, doing more things.
Us signing this many sort of hints at that, already.

That said, I still believe Hillis is a talented first down runner and to move him into some sort of novelty role would be silly. But, if we have someone who's running more effectively, I won't complain. It's all about the best guys being out there.

If I had to guess, though.. he's going to rise to the top of the coaches consideration very quickly. Arrington isn't a strong between the tackles runner, Buckhalter is injury-prone, Torain is a joke.. and Jordan is very similar to Hillis, though maybe not as good of a pure runner, imo.
So, Hillis will have a chance to contribute.

Competition is a good thing.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

This article also looks a few days old, and the Hillis blurb looks more like a guess, than anything.

I personally very much doubt Torain is much of a factor in the coaches minds, at this point.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Nothing like an old article to get the propaganda juices flowing.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote