The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Anyone else feelin IT?

I know McDaniels isn't the most popular guy in Denver right now, but someone has to give props to him and Xanders regardless of the Cutler ordeal. If that situation turns out to be ok, which it should be, even more props.

What I can't help but feel is the signings of all these players. It's NOT the same signings we usually see with Shanny.

We cut guys that needed to be cut. We are not longer trying to make players suck work; we are now getting players that work.

We've been the most active team, and it shows we're on a mission.

Knowing what McDaniels did with Cassell and Brady... I can't help but see some huge games later this year.

I'm more excited than ever.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 03-04-2009 at 09:17 PM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't understand the excitement coming out of people who were glad to see Shanahan gone. I know that I'm going to be painted as anti-Josh, which I'm not, but I can live with being painted as such - it doesn't matter to me what people think about whether I like Coach Josh or not.

But so far, we've seen the same kind of Shanahan signings. We haven't addressed the defense really - at least not in any substantial way that would part ways with how it might have been done under Shanahan. We still haven't brought in a defensive end. We're still short on linebackers. We brought in Lynch 2.0 (a signing which I love, but isn't going to help our pass rush).

I don't feel anything yet, except hope that maybe a Defensive end falls in our lap. Certainly I don't see anything that would warrant major praise at this point, and signal a huge departure from the past.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

I wasn't feeling it until we made that huge long snapper signing.

Where's the defense?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

i agree with TJ, none of the signings are really going to put us over the top. We'll have to wait and see, we should be better then last year atleaset with our safeties aloen which were horrible.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

The difference is that we are not giving HUGE contracts to questionable charactors like we used to. This could just be getting us ready for a huge defensive draft.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't understand the excitement coming out of people who were glad to see Shanahan gone. I know that I'm going to be painted as anti-Josh, which I'm not, but I can live with being painted as such - it doesn't matter to me what people think about whether I like Coach Josh or not.

But so far, we've seen the same kind of Shanahan signings. We haven't addressed the defense really - at least not in any substantial way that would part ways with how it might have been done under Shanahan. We still haven't brought in a defensive end. We're still short on linebackers. We brought in Lynch 2.0 (a signing which I love, but isn't going to help our pass rush).

I don't feel anything yet, except hope that maybe a Defensive end falls in our lap. Certainly I don't see anything that would warrant major praise at this point, and signal a huge departure from the past.

Yet if it Shanny making these type moves you would be on your knees and demanding your sheep to follow.

Just like with Plummer, you will be lurking in the background waiting for the first shoe to drop and start your "I told you so" rants...
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
I know McDaniels isn't the most popular guy in Denver right now, but someone has to give props to him and Xanders regardless of the Cutler ordeal. If that situation turns out to be ok, which it should be, even more props.

What I can't help but feel is the signings of all these players. It's the same signings we usually see with Shanny.

Knowing what McDaniels did with Cassell and Brady... I can't help but see some huge games later this year.

I'm not feeling it. Denver is signing old average players that cost more than the average players Denver let go.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:

I disagree, McD is signing guys that have actually been productive at their positions, even if they aren't all stars. Not to mention guys that have good attitudes and a clean rap sheet. Shanny always thought you could make gold out of other teams trash, and when he did pursue a name it was a guy with questionable character (see, T. Henry, IHOP, Dale carter)
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post

What I can't help but feel is the signings of all these players. It's the same signings we usually see with Shanny.

unlike some of the negative nannies on here, i agree with you...

i'm excited as well...

i feel like we're moving in a good direction and that this team and FO is on a mission...

outside of the Cutler fiasco and the BMarsh goof, i'm very encouraged...

good thread...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I think the biggest departure from Shanatactics that we've seen so far has been the blowing up of the defense. It's going to take a couple of seasons to build, but at least we're starting that task right away.

Sadly, McD is also blowing up an offense that, in my opinion, did not need widespread changes. Between cutting our TE depth, trying to shop Scheffler (and arguably Cutler), cutting Alridge, and the infamous LS-swap, McD has taken some missteps (again, in my estimation). I've seen the scoring and TO stats that some have brandied about in support of the changes that are supposedly necessary on offense, but I don't buy into them. We'll see though.

Can't believe how old our team has become in just a week and half.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We still haven't brought in a defensive end.
I thought that's what Reid would be, unless he's just on Special Teams.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Seeing alot of two year deals, which strikes me as the length of time McDaniels and Nolan figure they will need to assemble the pieces for a good defense, and by the time these contracts expire, rookies or younger fa's will be able to fill the void. Its a good direction to go.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

some of us, when presented with teh option of being either optimistic or pessimistic, will choose optimistic. why shouldnt we be? we cant control any of this at all, all we can do is watch and be entertained, and this offseason has been the most entertaining ive ever seen. no reason to be mad and pissed off because nothing has happened yet and all it will due is stress you out, not like you can change it.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Yet if it Shanny making these type moves you would be on your knees and demanding your sheep to follow...

I shouldn't respond to you because from what I can tell, nobody actually cares what you have to say...

But not at all. I sure wasn't praising any of the defensive picks last year. I went into the season expecting 8-8, 9-7 at best, while others were predicting 10 or 11 wins. And even still, what impact does my opinion on Shanahan's signings have on what Josh is doing? You're the one glad to see Shanahan gone. What are you seeing so far that is such a huge departure?

Nothing so far. We're seeing a lot of tinkering. Switching the long snapper(), bringing in some warm bodies for defense, an aging but respectable veteran, and some warm bodies to play runningback.

This is business as usual.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Age = Leadership

Someone posted (in an other thread) that Goodman is younger than Bly and Davis is the same age as last years starting MLB.

The only age added was Brian Dawkins...and this just...he's better than both scrubs signed last year.

The Older statement is beinf taken directly from the Denver Post.

As for blowing up the offense? Let's see He added 3 running backs, lord knows after last year you can't have too many of them! The he added a solid veteran wideout that knows the offense that he want's to install. He finally got a solid (younger) back up to Jay.

That's it so far! Where's the blow-up? Jay,Brandon,Stoke,Royal,Grahm, and the O-line (minus Casey) are still intact. So where is the blow up?

Shan-i-nites have to move on and let it go. Just like Lil Jay must.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
some of us, when presented with teh option of being either optimistic or pessimistic, will choose optimistic. why shouldnt we be? we cant control any of this at all, all we can do is watch and be entertained, and this offseason has been the most entertaining ive ever seen. no reason to be mad and pissed off because nothing has happened yet and all it will due is stress you out, not like you can change it.

I'm a natural optimist. I'm just not a homer. Being an optimist and being a homer aren't the same things.

I'm not pissed off at all. I want to see Coach Josh succeed. If it looks to me like he's bad for our team, though, and I lose confidence in him, I'm not going to hold my tongue. Just like I didn't expect anyone else to hold their tounge when they didn't like what was going on with Shanahan. I've been begged for years to ban HEAV and Wolf because people thought they were douche trolls. I didn't though, because I accepted that they had lost confidence in Shanahan and were sincere in their view points.

I'm just trying to understand from people who aren't known for just being blind homers what all the hub-bub is about right now.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
We still haven't brought in a defensive end. We're still short on linebackers.
Reid, Thomas, and Peterson are all probably DE's, and we're looking at Holliday and possibly Taylor and may not be done shopping. We brought in Davis at LB and may not be done shopping here either. I think most of our draft picks will address the D front 7 as well.

We've upgraded at S and CB on D and at RB, WR and backup QB on O. Anyone with half a clue can see that we have a better foundation for a team now than we did at the end of the season, and we're not done making improvements.

Last edited by TonyR; 03-04-2009 at 04:42 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm not feeling it. Denver is signing old average players that cost more than the average players Denver let go.
Is Cutler really 17 - 20 as a starter Atlas , and you sig just aint been updated ...
Or are you just going by 2 seasons of starts ? 32 games ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm a natural optimist. I'm just not a homer. Being an optimist and being a homer aren't the same things.

I'm not pissed off at all. I want to see Coach Josh succeed. If it looks to me like he's bad for our team, though, and I lose confidence in him, I'm not going to hold my tongue. Just like I didn't expect anyone else to hold their tounge when they didn't like what was going on with Shanahan. I've been begged for years to ban HEAV and Wolf because people thought they were douche trolls. I didn't though, because I accepted that they had lost confidence in Shanahan and were sincere in their view points.

I'm just trying to understand from people who aren't known for just being blind homers what all the hub-bub is about right now.
whats wrong with being a homer anyway? we all watch this game for entertainment, so thats what im gonna do, be entertained and HAVE FUN. if that means blindly believing that every year the team is going to the super bowl, whats wrong with that?
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

[QUOTE=Taco John;2316751]I shouldn't respond to you because from what I can tell, nobody actually cares what you have to say...QUOTE]

But you responded anyway!

You game is lame. You always seem to think I give a **** about what anyone thinks of me...

But at the very least you finally unpluged the lite-bright and gave the site more juice (Sigs and avatars) so thanks for that.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #21
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
I've been begged for years to ban HEAV and Wolf because people thought they were douche trolls.
More like your circle-jerk crew...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Is Cutler really 17 - 20 as a starter Atlas , and you sig just aint been updated ...
Or are you just going by 2 seasons of starts ? 32 games ...
It hasn't been updated. Cutler was 15-17 his first 32 starts. Elway was 22-10 his first 32 starts.

I believe Cutler is no better now. I believe now he is 17-19 as a starter.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #23
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:

what would you have liked them to have done this offseason?...go after Haynesworth or one of the overpriced names?...

i don't follow your logic...you think it's just Broncos fans that think we're playing it smart right now?...

i look onto opposing AFC West rival forums and many of them feel we're having a great offseason...on NFL Total Access 2 of 4 panelist felt we have had the best offseason so far in terms of FA of any team in the NFL...

now what others think don't mean a whole lot but i just want to let you know that it isn't just "homers" that think that we're going about retooling this team quite effectively so far...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I disagree, McD is signing guys that have actually been productive at their positions, even if they aren't all stars. Not to mention guys that have good attitudes and a clean rap sheet. Shanny always thought you could make gold out of other teams trash, and when he did pursue a name it was a guy with questionable character (see, T. Henry, IHOP, Dale carter)
Who is to say how productive McD's signing are going to be this year?

To compare one month of McD FA with years of Shanny signings is a little disingenuous. Dale Carter was signed when!?!

When McD was with the Pats they certainly didn't have a problem signing some players with issues.

You take calculated risks. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I am willing to bet that Josh will take a risk on a talented player with questionable characters before his term is done.

I do like the contract lengths they have gone for as Sirhcyennek said and I am optimistic that this D will get back on track.

They could hardly do worse than the last couple of years.

I wholeheartedly want Josh to succeed but I am not going to pull out the Champagne just yet.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
I wasn't feeling it until we made that huge long snapper signing.

Where's the defense?
I think you're underestimating the effect a long snapper can have. It's all fine and good to make fun of it. But wait until we have a full year without any snapping issues.

Like last year.

And the year before that.

Damn you, Mike Leach!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote