The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
GoHAM
Ring of Famer
 
GoHAM's Avatar
 
36, now that's shabby!

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: County 5
Posts: 1,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein
Default Arrington Finally Signs

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11835707

Arrington the Broncos' third free-agent TB
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/04/2009 02:58:56 PM MST
Updated: 03/04/2009 03:10:00 PM MST



A few hours after the Broncos signed Lamont Jordan to a two-year, $2.5 million contract, the team finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with J.J. Arrington.

With former Philadelphia Eagle Correll Buckhalter signed Friday, the Broncos have added three free-agent running backs.

It was the same arrangement reached last Friday, but the deal was hung up for a few days as the two sides haggled over guaranteed money.

Jordan, 30, received a $500,000 signing bonus. Jordan played last season for the New England Patriots and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who is now the Broncos head coach.

By signing three tailbacks, McDaniels is bringing another piece of the New England offensive formula to Denver. The Pats often played three tailbacks, and rarely use a 25-carry workhorse during a game. Buckhalter likely remain as the Broncos' starting tailback with the more powerful Jordan getting a few series and short-yardage carries. Arrington will compete for the third-down, pass-receiving role.

The signings all but assure current Bronco free-agent tailbacks Michael Pittman and Tatum Bell won't return. It also means the Broncos' holdover tailback stable of Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,053
Default

And Peterson was re-signed.

PETERSON STAYS PUT IN DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 4:42 p.m. EST
The Broncos have taken a break from signing free agents from other teams to keep one of their own.

Per a league source, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson has agreed to terms with the club on a three-year deal.

Peterson, a six-year veteran, was a third-round pick of the Packers in 2003. He was cut by Green Bay in September 2006, and has spent the last three seasons with the Broncos.


http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...put-in-denver/

Here's PFT's take on Arrington:

ARRINGTON DOES DEAL WITH BRONCOS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 5:15 p.m. EST
It’s been a strange week for the Broncos. They’ve signed a slew of new free agents and nearly traded away their franchise quarterback.

It’s been an even stranger week for running back J.J. Arrington. After having a deal in place with the Broncos, the thing fell through. But now, it’s back on.

According to a league source, the Broncos have again agreed to terms with Arrington, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Arrington is the third running back that new coach Josh McDaniels and new G.M. Brian Xanders have signed, joining Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan.

A league source tells us that the Broncos initially were troubled by a meniscus injury in Arrington’s knee. The deal fell apart over guaranteed money (or, more accurately, the lack of it).

But the knee has since checked out, and the deal was able to be finalized.


http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...cos-after-all/

Last edited by TonyR; 03-04-2009 at 02:22 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

I love it

1. Royal get your ass off the field during ST's
2. We are going to sign all the RBs and force everyone else to trade with us brilliant
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Selvin Young is gone.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
I love it

1. Royal get your ass off the field during ST's
2. We are going to sign all the RBs and force everyone else to trade with us brilliant
Agree!
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,573
Default

So DEN has a Kick Returner
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer
 
BigPlayShay's Avatar
 
Novaking

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,473

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut
Default

Hillis will be used as a utility guy / H-Back.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,962

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

$100 mill in contracts...you gutless drunk!
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

wow- Eddie Mac do we have any more money to spend?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
BabyTO's Avatar
 
^ Winner

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default

How many RB's do we have righ now? 52? Jesus Christ. You'd think with the way our running game works this idiot of a HC would focus on defense instead of bringing in 50 more running backs.
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,898

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I guess it all comes down to training camp.

As it should be.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
How many RB's do we have righ now? 52? Jesus Christ. You'd think with the way our running game works this idiot of a HC would focus on defense instead of bringing in 50 more running backs.
Well. DEN did lose 70 RBs to injury last season, so......
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I guess it all comes down to training camp.

As it should be.

And somebody implied he didn't suck at Cal...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
The signings all but assure current Bronco free-agent tailbacks Michael Pittman and Tatum Bell won't return. It also means the Broncos' holdover tailback stable of Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.
I HATE this spin that Hillis isn't guaranteed to make the team. This guy WILL be back on the team. Right? Please tell me I'm right.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,889
Default

Go ahead and bring on the meat grinder. We got tailbacks to feed it all day long.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11835707

Arrington the Broncos' third free-agent TB
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/04/2009 02:58:56 PM MST
Updated: 03/04/2009 03:10:00 PM MST



A few hours after the Broncos signed Lamont Jordan to a two-year, $2.5 million contract, the team finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with J.J. Arrington.

With former Philadelphia Eagle Correll Buckhalter signed Friday, the Broncos have added three free-agent running backs.

It was the same arrangement reached last Friday, but the deal was hung up for a few days as the two sides haggled over guaranteed money.

Jordan, 30, received a $500,000 signing bonus. Jordan played last season for the New England Patriots and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who is now the Broncos head coach.

By signing three tailbacks, McDaniels is bringing another piece of the New England offensive formula to Denver. The Pats often played three tailbacks, and rarely use a 25-carry workhorse during a game. Buckhalter likely remain as the Broncos' starting tailback with the more powerful Jordan getting a few series and short-yardage carries. Arrington will compete for the third-down, pass-receiving role.

The signings all but assure current Bronco free-agent tailbacks Michael Pittman and Tatum Bell won't return. It also means the Broncos' holdover tailback stable of Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis will have to compete for a roster spot during training camp.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth
BLAH-HA-HA-HA! Wow, that's just one big sign that there is a huge philosophical difference between how a team like the Broncos are doing business, and how a team like the Skins are doing business.

Who wants to wager on which team gets to the big show first?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Selvin Young is gone.
Yeap.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

I think Mc is going to use the popular Wishbone backfield. Cutler is going from 4k yards passing to about 800. But hey, ints will be going down to almost nil.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,889
Default

We should suit up Dortoh with a free-agent tailback sign around his neck and see if McDaniels signs him.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,754
Default

Hmm I anticipate a Hillis/Buck/Jordan backfield

Arringtone will play special teams as he should, because he is nothing special at RB, also he cant catch all that well which happens to be strong suites of Hillis/Buck/Jordan

I dont know what the hell is gonna happen to Torain, stinks though cuz he looked good in that half a game he played
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

11 scrubs or players past their prime....
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

So I am guessing that we will not be drafting any offensive players.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!
 
SureShot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,951

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
11 scrubs or players past their prime....
Mock wins for best avatar.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,867

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I dont see Selvin or Torain making the team...and im completely fine with that. Wouldnt shock me if Lamont didnt either
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #25
BABronco
RP2012
 
BABronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,173

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
Mock wins for best avatar.
oh man ... just noticed that hahaha
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Denver Broncos