The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,030
Default Scheffler on trade block

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11830461

Scheffler on trade block.

The Broncos have been shopping Tony Scheffler. Scheffler, 26, is considered one of the NFL's best receivers at tight end — his average of 16.1 yards per catch led all players at his position with at least 40 receptions last year.

However, there is concern Scheffler might not fit in the New England offensive system that new coach Josh McDaniels has brought with him to Denver.

New England's offense usually lines up with three wide receivers and one tight end. The Broncos already have the prototype New England-style tight end in Daniel Graham, who played for the Patriots from 2002-06. Graham left New England for free agency in part because the Pats rarely use the tight end in their passing game.

The most logical destinations for Scheffler are teams that operate the West Coast offense, which often uses a second tight end in the game. The Philadelphia Eagles have the most prominent West Coast offense.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoDoug's Avatar
 
R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 2,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Well great, there goes Cutlers best friend, all the more reason for him to start throwing a hissy fit...

But If we could get something good in return for Sheffler, I'm for it...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,473
Default

I love Scheffler, but the dude gets injured waaaayyyyy too much.
I'd hate to see him go though because he adds quality depth to the team.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,409
Default

If Cutler can't live with the realities of NFL football then he should just go sell cellphones.

I've been saying it over and over Mcdaniels will want more RB and WR and less TE. He already axed Jackson, he may trade Scheffler.

If Scheffler is going to not be used its better to try and get a pick for him. I can't imagine it being more then say a 3rd to 4th rounder but whatever.

People have to understand Mcdaniels like spreading the field and throwing to the RBS and WR's. He doesn't throw to TE as much as Shanny liked to.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

I want to keep him in all honesty... the guy would stay in Denver for a discount after this season anyway (I'm sure of it).

He's an amazing weapon to have, and with Marshall possibly out I'd actually consider Scheffler in the WR spot so we have a big man.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

The problem with Sheffler is game-planning. You can't build a consistent game plan with a guy who's only capable of staying on the field 8 games out of the season and half of those, he's limping around. He's great when he's out there, but an offense can't depend on him. So, week to week... you have no idea what you're going to be able to do.

The other problem is, the rest of the league probably realizes that. So, we'll be lucky to get a mid-round pick for him.

I'd love to bring some kind of defensive utility player in return, but the offers are going to be bargain-bin, at best.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,541

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

I would guess a 4th at best. 5th would be a good deal.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,032

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

I would love to keep Sheffler, but this isnt tragic if we can get a 4th for him. He is solid, but injured too often.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

I think that McDaniel's needs to adapt the system to the players around him rather then the other way around. One thing that has been a strong pattern since Jay's college days has been his heavy use of receiving TE's, and Tony fits the bill.

Durability is a concern, but frankly, I can't really see this trade happening for less then a 4th pick in the draft, and at that cost, I would rather keep someone around that has show chemistry with Cutler and the ability to make miracle grabs in traffic.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,057

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Im starting to hate the look of this team day by day....lets change to a new OFFENSIVE sceem when the old one was clearly broke..MAN I HATE THIS GUY!!!!
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
The problem with Sheffler is game-planning. You can't build a consistent game plan with a guy who's only capable of staying on the field 8 games out of the season and half of those, he's limping around. He's great when he's out there, but an offense can't depend on him. So, week to week... you have no idea what you're going to be able to do.

The other problem is, the rest of the league probably realizes that. So, we'll be lucky to get a mid-round pick for him.

I'd love to bring some kind of defensive utility player in return, but the offers are going to be bargain-bin, at best.
I could even see Mcdaniels trading him for a pick next yr. That way you may get a 3rd because picks a yr away are devalued a bit.

Patriots always loved to try to stockpile some extra picks so it is possible.

If Mcdaniels doesnt have plans for Scheffler in the offense then he should move him. Don't just let him rot for a yr then leave as a FA like a lot of teams would do.

I would prefer keeping him and seeing if he can stay healthy. He does a good job beating linebackers and safety's.

It's just in my heart I feel Mcdaniels see's the TE as a blocker more then a wr. Under Shanny it was sort of one guy blocks, the other a wr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,409
Default

People banging there heads about the offense changing will just have to realize you can't keep Shanny's offense, Shanny is gone. Every coach has different ideas on what it takes to get guys open and make holes for Rb.

For sure Mcdaniels will tweak his ideas to fit his players. But if they guy doesn't see Scheff as someone he wants to involve in the offense we have to understand that's how it is. What would be worst is doing it how Al Davis does when he calls down and tells coach who he can and can't cut.

The people that are upset are shortsighted IMO. I didn't want Shanny fired, but after it happened it was Mcdaniels I wanted.

I like how he calls plays. I was very impressed watching the pats move the ball last yr under cassal.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
FireFly
Ring of Famer
 
FireFly's Avatar
 
The window is open!

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,788
Default

He is injured too often, but I'd still be a little unhappy with anything worse than a 4th
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,413

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I don't see the point of moving Scheffler outside of a purposeful attempt to isolate Cutler. I know some people will scoff at that idea, but I think that there's something to it. We're not going to get much in a trade for Scheffler - a 5th round pick maybe. He's worth more to us than any 5th round pick would be as a third down safety blanket for Cutler.

I think that this move has more to do with locker room psycology than it does about our need to move Scheffler for a mid-round pick.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,197

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If Cutler can't live with the realities of NFL football then he should just go sell cellphones.

I've been saying it over and over Mcdaniels will want more RB and WR and less TE. He already axed Jackson, he may trade Scheffler.

If Scheffler is going to not be used its better to try and get a pick for him. I can't imagine it being more then say a 3rd to 4th rounder but whatever.

People have to understand Mcdaniels like spreading the field and throwing to the RBS and WR's. He doesn't throw to TE as much as Shanny liked to.
with his speed i think it would be wise to use him as a big receiver when Marshall is out or even after that as well, considering Graham is already got the TE position on lockdown.

also on a side note Shanahan had been getting away from using the TE's as much as he used to. there were games last season where Scheff was never even looked at.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't see the point of moving Scheffler outside of a purposeful attempt to isolate Cutler. I know some people will scoff at that idea, but I think that there's something to it. We're not going to get much in a trade for Scheffler - a 5th round pick maybe. He's worth more to us than any 5th round pick would be as a third down safety blanket for Cutler.

I think that this move has more to do with locker room psycology than it does about our need to move Scheffler for a mid-round pick.
I can't agree because when we hired Mcdaniels one of the first things I was thinking was Broncos will want more WR, will throw to RBS more, and that some of the TE's will be cut or traded. Jackson gone, we will see if Scheff get's traded.

I don't see him as real valuable. He's only a marginal blocker, actually pretty crappy at it, not very physical, and get's injured all the time. He does make some big plays and has good hands. I also think he has toughness as far as being willing to take the big hit. it's just he doesn't fare to well from said hit.

I think he has value to teams that throw to TE alot, but maybe not to Broncos anymore.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
I love Scheffler, but the dude gets injured waaaayyyyy too much.
I'd hate to see him go though because he adds quality depth to the team.
The guy has missed 6 game over 3 season. That hardly injuried to much. and last two season he has average about 45 catches and 600 yards. The myth that he is injuried to much is out of control.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,687
Default

BTW I getting tried of the system. Smart offensive coaches look at the weapons they have and adopt system to use those weapons. Mckid needs to evolve the freaking system.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,903
Default

If I remember correctly Sheffler was a second round pick -- and he has his best years ahead of him.

The guy has great speed -- a burst -- great hands -- and is a coverage nightmare for LBs.

And you want a fourth in return for him?

McDaniels should build on what we already have -- add to our weapons -- not piss them away --

Kee rIst.

MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #20
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The guy has missed 6 game over 3 season. That hardly injuried to much. and last two season he has average about 45 catches and 600 yards. The myth that he is injuried to much is out of control.
It isn't always about missing games, but also being limited in action.
2006: missed action because of an injury early i believe
2007: missed the first four games
2008: missed 3 games, and was limited in action due

Every year he has gotten an injury, that is injury prone.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
It isn't always about missing games, but also being limited in action.
2006: missed action because of an injury early i believe
2007: missed the first four games
2008: missed 3 games, and was limited in action due

Every year he has gotten an injury, that is injury prone.
2006 rookie didn't start but played in 13 games
2007 played in all the games.
2008 missed the first 3 games and still had 40 catches and 647 yards with Marshall (100 plus) and Royal (70 pluse) on the team.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyschef...s?id=SCH095691
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #22
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Is tony scheffler gonna throw a hissy fit too.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #23
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I can't agree because when we hired Mcdaniels one of the first things I was thinking was Broncos will want more WR, will throw to RBS more, and that some of the TE's will be cut or traded. Jackson gone, we will see if Scheff get's traded.

I don't see him as real valuable. He's only a marginal blocker, actually pretty crappy at it, not very physical, and get's injured all the time. He does make some big plays and has good hands. I also think he has toughness as far as being willing to take the big hit. it's just he doesn't fare to well from said hit.

I think he has value to teams that throw to TE alot, but maybe not to Broncos anymore.
Guys the Soldier got a 2 and a 5th for cleveland that dude is way more unhealthy then Scheffler

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 03-04-2009 at 03:19 AM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 AM   #24
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,519
Default

or just perhaps they plan to use Hillis in this role....I think Hillis > Scheffler....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #25
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

Doesn't Ben Watson have the same type of skills? I just don't get it. Scheff creates all types of match up problems. Teams will be lucky to get him.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Denver Broncos