The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default #12, Should the Broncos Consider a WR?

Considering that Stokes is damn old and fragile and Brandon Marshall is doing his best to get kicked out of the league, would it be smart to go with a receiver early on? At #12 there are a few prospects that would make sense. I've asked a few people about Darrius Heyward-Bey and the answers have been along the same thought process. This guy has game changing speed. Randy Moss like speed. Great size and a good motor. Some have questioned his hands and how dependent on his speed is he? Anyhow, here are the top rated WRs in the draft.

1. Michael Crabtree , Texas Tech, 6-1,215,4.55
2. Jeremy Maclin, Missouri, 6-0, 198, 4.40
3. Percy Harvin, Florida, 5-11, 195, 4.35
4. Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland, 6-2, 210, 4.30
5. Kenny Britt, Rutgers, 6-3, 218, 4.55

I love the thought of Heyward-Bey, Maclin and Harvin. All three are explosive playmakers that would bring some dynamic play making ability from day one.

There are some decent possibilities in the 2nd round as well. The next wave of receivers includes Hakeem Nicks, Brian Robiskie, Derrick Williams, Ramses Burden, Louis Murphy and Juaquin Iglesias. From that group I would take Nicks or Robiskie in a heart beat. Both are guys that will produce from day one.

What do you all think?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

We could get one of those guys in a trade down, but I've always said before all this that wide receiver should be considered within the early rounds given the talent available, and ambiguity with our situation. With Stokley possibly on the way out and with this Marshall mess, it certainly reinforces those thoughts.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

For gods sake no, why would we want people who can run fast and drop the ball? that is why we have Chad Jackson. I would like Hakeem Nicks or to some extend Robiskie, but honestly I would rather go for Jared Cook and try convert him like they did in New Orleans with Colston.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

omg no,,,,,I know that marshall is a mess, but the team has way too many defensive needs.....jmo
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Both good points. I'd love either Robiskie or Nicks in the 2nd round. They aren't explosive but they will be solid pros. They both have great hands, good size and understand the position. Robiskie is probably the most NFL ready of any in the class. He understands defenses, runs perfect routes and has had the opportunity to breakdown film the same way pros do.

Fido, no doubt we need the defensive help. The fact of the matter is though, it generally takes a few years to develop a WR. I think McD will fall in love with a couple different guys in this draft at the position. #1 will most likely be Percy Harvin. Without running true routes (similar to what McD's offense does) he is a prospect that has displayed the ability to run a similar system already. The other guy is Robiskie. Being that he is the most savvy receiver in this draft he already has the ability to see what defenses are doing and adjust on the fly (pre-snap). Again, this is a big part of McD's offense and as Wes Welker recently commented, you have to be smart to understand McD's offense.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

Percy Harvin is a studd, no doubt. But there are just too many needs on defense. I just can't see it.
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Maybe it would help Marshall focus his mind if he had some young competition.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Maybe it would help Marshall focus his mind if he had some young competition.
Marshall is the young competition. He is only 3 years in the league.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Yeah, Florida wide receivers have been fantastic in the NFL......

Harvin is a bust. Write it down.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I am not big on Harvin, he is too much of a tweener. Many of his catches have come on screens and sweeps, his route running isn't strong enough right now. He is going to be a good slot receiver if he can get his route running up to par.

I think Mcdaniels wants someone who can read defenses and play in his spread option. Smarts have always been very highly rated with the Patriots.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I am not big on Harvin, he is too much of a tweener. Many of his catches have come on screens and sweeps, his route running isn't strong enough right now. He is going to be a good slot receiver if he can get his route running up to par.

I think Mcdaniels wants someone who can read defenses and play in his spread option. Smarts have always been very highly rated with the Patriots.
Exactly which is why he would love to have either Harvin or Robiskie. Robiskie's football smarts are off the charts. Couple that with his excellent size, good hands and good speed and you have a very solid prospect.

Harvin is the type of guy that can come in and take direct snaps, play out of the HB position, play the slot and play split out wide. He is very much a tweener. He benefited from playing in an offense that was very similar to McD's in terms of running patterns that don't fall within the typical route tree. It's a matter of looking at what the defense is doing and adjusting prior to the snap. And I wholeheartedly disagree on Harvin being a bust in the NFL. On the contrary, I think he'll be one of the biggest play makers to come out of this draft. Second only to Jeremy Maclin who has that special knack for finding an open seam and finding daylight... but they are very similar players with Harvin being the stronger of the two. His ability to gain strength and size should not go unnoticed. If you look at Harvin as a fresh and then Harvin last year, the difference in size is astonishing. He'll end up adding another 15 lbs of muscle in the NFL and will be running around at about 210 lbs. What I see in Harvin, a player that is very similar to Steve Smith with a couple more inches. Explosive and a playmaker. I'll be upset if he winds up with Indy which I think is very possible.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

You could justify Crabtree at #12 if he falls, but that's it.

Maclin is good - but I don't know that he is #12 good.

Stay away from first round receivers if possible, i'd rather have a franchise RB.
cmhargrove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Take the BPA. If that's a receiver, then that's a receiver.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If we sign 2 DL in FA I'd be open for it but, if not D D D D
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

I'm against drafting a 1st rd WR in any year. It's the hardest position to predict, and I still have nightmares of Nash and Lelie. There are more receivers drafted each year than just about any other position. I'd say the boom/bust ratio stays pretty even throughout the rounds, or declines less than it does with other positions.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

not with the 12th pick we need D-line help and LB
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Unfortunately, we might not know Goodell's decision on Marshall before the draft.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I would be O.k with this draft 1. Heyward Bey 2, Ziggy Hood 3. Jasper Brinkley 4. David Bruton 5a Chis Baker ,Maybe Nose tackle 5b Sherrod Martain,cb-s.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I could really care less about a WR in this draft. We are again building a D from back to front we spent the majority of our money on our DB. We have picked up 1 LB and 1DE. We should have spent on Canty but that can be forgiven if Olchansky is brought in to go with Thomas and if by some chance we can find a NT it we might actually stand a chance of getting past the bottom 15 teams in total D.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wouldn't mind taking a few mid-to-late round WRs, but nothing early, unless, as mentioned, Crabtree were to fall. Even then, I think the trade-down option would present itself.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I like Heyward-Bey out of that group too. It would give us some serious speed... so if Marshall is in fact playing...

Marshall/HB + Royal in the Slot... would be pretty nasty.

What's really interesting is with how we're signing FA's... based on who's available we may very well do a WR in the 1st and then a DE/DT in the 2nd.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Lets hope not
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #23
meangene
Ring of Famer

I absolutely agree we need a WR in this draft. Marshall is as good as gone IMO. I think we will need to wait to find out the length of the suspension and then move him for whatever we can get. That may mean a pick next year as we may not know pre-draft. I don't care how much talent he has, we will never be able to depend on him. However, we have too many needs on defense to go for a WR at #12 and I like the second round guys (Nicks, Robiskie) as much as any of the others but Crabtree. My ideal would be to move back in Round 1 and pick up an extra second and use one of those picks on a WR.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #24
Mushmouth
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They shouldba draftba my mouth. cause it be that craziest thing around and out of control. i shannon sharpe hook on phonic
Mushmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Well the of season moves put things a little bit more in perspective.

1. We wont be drafting a safety until late most likely. With Dawkins and Hill resigned we improved the secondary vastly and are looking like a team that wont draft anyone back there until late rounds.

2. LB and DT are the first two spots we will use our picks on.

3. Cornerback is a real possibility at this point now that the S positions are set.

4. A RB or WR is a good possibility in the 4th round.

Trading with Detroit could now make some degree of sense. Dropping 8 spots, depending on who is left would make some sense if we picked up two more draft picks.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: