The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson
Default Espn Rumor Mill 2/27/09

Rumor Central is free and open to all users this weekend thanks to T-Mobile.

Friday, February 27
Broncos emerge as candidate for LewisRay Lewis | Ravens | Interested: Broncos? Cowboys? Jets?
While the Baltimore Ravens have feverishly tried to retain linebacker Ray Lewis over the last few weeks, his name has been linked in various sources to both the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys. Amid the smoldering chaos as the league has finally entered the opening day of free agency, a darkhorse candidate out west has emerged according to the Baltimore Sun: the Denver Broncos.
Lewis and nascent Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan worked together when Nolan had the same position with the Ravens, and according to the Sun, the two would meet one-on-one on a weekly basis to work on game-plans. In addition, the Broncos have been cutting dead weight since the promotion of general manager Brian Xanders, and the team is expected to be around $30 million under the salary cap. Lewis would be a solid tackling machine in the middle of the field as well as a vocal leader as the team installs Nolan's schemes.

Scott could be a member of Gang Green by today
Bart Scott | Ravens | Interested: Dolphins? Broncos? Buccaneers? Browns? Chiefs? Giants? Jets?
According to the Sporting News, Bart Scott is set to visit with the New York Jets on Friday morning. The Jets are expected to make Scott a strong offer to reunite with his former coach Rex Ryan, and sources have told Albert Breer of the Sporting News that Scott could sign with the team as early as today.
The Ravens made an effort late into Thursday night to re-sign Scott, but it appears that the Jets are now the front-runners for the linebacker's services. The New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins have all previously been rumored as possible destinations for Scott.

Will Redskins grab Canty too?Chris Canty | Cowboys | Interested: Seahawks? 49ers? Titans? Redskins?
After the Albert Haynesworth signing made the front page of nearly every sports website in the land on Friday morning, the Washington Redskins may be ready to make another splash, reports the Sporting News.
Chris Canty is scheduled to meet with the Redskins on Friday, and the team was believed to have expressed a great deal of interest in the 300-pound defensive lineman prior to the start of free agency. After visiting with the 'Skins, Canty is scheduled to meet with the Tennessee Titans on Saturday, the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, and the San Francisco 49ers at some point thereafter. The Titans would certainly show a great deal of interest in Canty given that they've just lost their main man in the middle.

Housh likes the VikesT.J. Houshmandzadeh | Bengals | Interested: Titans? Seahawks? Eagles? Buccaneers? Giants? Vikings?
Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh caused quite a stir during an appearance on ESPN early Friday morning. Although the Minnesota Vikings were not initially thought to be a likely destination for the veteran, Housh remarked on how nice it would be to play for a team against whom opposing defenses could not focus on him, saying, "I'm looking at teams I think have good coaches and good offensive lines and good running games. I have no idea if those teams are interested in me. If I can play with Adrian Peterson, can you imagine what I would do getting one-on-one coverage with Adrian Peterson? I am going to win 98.6 percent of the time with one-on-one coverage with him in the backfield."
Regarding the second sentence of Housh's quote, the Minneapolis Star Tribune was unable to confirm that the Vikings were interested in pursuing the wideout, especially considering the monster contract they laid out for Bernard Berrian last offseason. The other teams believed to be in the running for Houshmandzadeh are the New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans.

Ward's appeal knows no geographic boundariesDerrick Ward | Giants | Interested: Buccaneers? Bengals? Lions? Broncos? Rams?
Considered to be the top free agent running back available this offseason, Pro Football Talk has put the Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the pile of teams that are interested in signing Derrick Ward.
It's expected that the Bengals, Bucs and Lions will have a strong package lined up for Ward, as their needs are the most glaring at running back. A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

Dolphins back off Brown
Jason Brown | Ravens | Interested: Vikings? Redskins? Rams?
The Miami Herald reports that while Bill Parcells and the "Tuna Helpers" are fond of bringing in players who fit a certain archetype, they're not going to break the bank to do it. Therefore, one player who has been priced out of their range is center Jason Brown.
Although the team is unhappy with the development of Samson Satele, Brown's expected $7 to $8 million per-season price tag was considered a little too high. Veteran Matt Birk is still a possibility for the 'Phins, and both Alex Mack and Max Unger will likely still be on the board when Miami makes its first draft selection at No. 25 overall.

As for Brown, he will visit with the St. Louis Rams on Friday, and has also been linked to the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings.

Smith mulling his options
Antonio Smith | Cardinals | Interested: Buccaneers? Eagles? Giants? Texans? Falcons?
A league source has told Pro Football Talk that Antonio Smith is currently ranking the teams who've expressed interest in him, and he will be devising his visitation schedule soon.
The list of teams who are believed to be in the running for Smith are the Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Smith's former defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, Clancy Pendergast, has been brought to the Kansas City Chiefs as part of Todd Haley's "we don't need no stinkin' job titles" coaching regime, but there have not been rumors linking Smith to the Chiefs as of yet.

Smith had 41 tackles and 3.5 sacks for the NFC champions during 2008, but the team has youngster Calais Campbell chomping at the bit to get more playing time.
Nate has a date with the Lions
Nate Washington | Steelers | Interested: Buccaneers? Titans? Vikings? Lions?
Nate Washington is set to visit with the Detroit Lions on Friday, and could be the first big-name wide receiver to sign this offseason if all goes well. The Minneapolis Star Tribune also confirms that the Minnesota Vikings are interested in the free agent, who had 40 catches in 2008 for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Tennessee Titans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are also rumored to be in the running.Collins priced out of range for Titans

Kerry Collins | Titans
With Albert Haynesworth headed to the Washington Redskins, it now appears likely that the other big-name free agent for the Tennessee Titans will be playing elsewhere in 2009 as well. The Nashville City Paper reports that Kerry Collins has priced himself out of a new contract with the team, as the veteran quarterback is believed to be seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $8 million per season, and the team does not feel confident making such a pact.
With Collins out of the picture, the Titans will be engaging Chris Simms more heavily, and could enter the offseason with Simms and former No. 3 overall pick Vince Young in a duel for the role of starting quarterback. The free agent Simms has also been linked to the Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears in recent weeks.
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

How many decent years does Ray have? Maybe 2?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

We would get a vocal leader with Lewis, and he will teach players how to watch game film and will make some of our players better.

Last edited by no-pseudo-fan; 02-27-2009 at 07:54 AM..
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

While no fan of the person of Ray but I think the player is still good for 4 more years.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
People said the same thing about Lynch and we got four years out of him.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Lets go Broncos!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
So. 2 better than none.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

I'd so much rather have Ward. I don't understand this one at all.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
My thinking is he comes in to tutor whatever LBs they draft. But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

I'd so much rather have Ward. I don't understand this one at all.
i just made the same comment in the signing announcement thread...

it's like going to the showroom floor and getting two Civics instead of one Lexus
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
i just made the same comment in the signing announcement thread...

it's like going to the showroom floor and getting two Civics instead of one Lexus
Well said
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
My thinking is he comes in to tutor whatever LBs they draft. But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.
Like I said I have no liking of Ray but the sucker can play ball. And he has stayed out of the news for a good bit. Pacman will never learn.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Collins for 8 Million? Only Alec thinks he's worth that much.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
And we all know his record with QB's...... :cough: Vince Young :cough:
Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

I would settle for Jerry Lewis to play Linebacker these days..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He is worth no more then 5 tops.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i like Spencer and DJ williams in the middle at this point i think Larsen can get the job done. Ray Lewis would not want to be the guy who plays the SILB he would more then likely want to play WILB. I think it would be smart to upgrade the DB DL or SOLB position where we have practically noone. save the money
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Best idea/rumor I've heard in free agent signing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
i like Spencer and DJ williams in the middle at this point i think Larsen can get the job done. Ray Lewis would not want to be the guy who plays the SILB he would more then likely want to play WILB. I think it would be smart to upgrade the DB DL or SOLB position where we have practically noone. save the money
D.J Williams could play the Sam
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

If Bart Scott Leaves for the Jets then Ray may go back to the Ravens as they can pay more. Per Mort on Mike and Mike just now. We all know that Mort sucks though. Just wanted to update.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I get the sense Ray Lewis is just using the market to find a price that Baltimore will eventually pay.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
How long does it take to get young players comfortable with a new defensive system? 2.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.
I understand this but I also think everyone who feels this way would quickly change their minds.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I get the sense Ray Lewis is just using the market to find a price that Baltimore will eventually pay.
If Ray thinks Baltimore is going to pay him more than $25 million ($17 guaranteed) over three years than he's nuts.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Certainly possible but definitely not what he local Baltimore media is speculating. They're saying he's decided to leave and there's no changing his mind. Should be interesting!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #25
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
If Ray thinks Baltimore is going to pay him more than $25 million ($17 guaranteed) over three years than he's nuts.
I might offer him a 5 year 50 million that is back loaded with 15 million bonus but cut him after the second year so it works out to to about 2 year 17 million contract. Maybe Ray will be to dump and sign with the broncos thinking he will get the whole 50 million.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote