The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
TheDave
Sauced...

Default Rocky Mountain News Folding...

...Tomorrow.

Just heard it on the Radio... Couldn't Find a link yet
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11791798

Found one...

A nearly 150-year publishing run will end Friday as the Rocky Mountain News prints its final edition.
The News becomes the latest casualty in an industry stricken by a spiraling decline in newspaper economics.
News owner E.W. Scripps announced today that the paper will shut down after efforts to find a buyer failed.
More than 200 newsroom staffers will face their last deadlines and file their final stories after enduring months of nervous uncertainty over the News' future.
Known familiarly as the Rocky, the newspaper founded in 1859 was Colorado's first. It's believed to be the longest-running business in Denver.
Despite a 2001 joint operating agreement between the News and The Denver Post intended to cut costs and keep both papers in business, Scripps no longer could absorb financial losses at the News.
The News lost $16 million in 2008.
Scripps said Dec. 4 that it would put the News up for sale, and then would consider closing it if a qualified buyer didn't surface.
"The operating conditions have become increasingly difficult in Denver," Scripps chief executive Rich Boehne said in December. "Cash flow...is no longer enough to support the Rocky, leaving us with no choice but to seek an exit."
Loss of subscribers, declining advertising revenue, the rise of the Internet and general economic weakness all have contributed to the plunging fortunes of newspapers, particularly those that compete in the same cities for shares of shrinking income.
"While it is disappointing that the Rocky will no longer be servicing the community, it should come as no surprise that newspapers are under increasing pressure from multiple channels of information that have scattered the mass audience newspapers once held," said Derigan Silver, an instructor of mass communications and journalism at the University of Denver.
"Unfortunately, not all of these new outlets have the ... ability to build social capital the way traditional newspapers do," Silver said.
Scores of News supporters had written letters and posted Internet appeals to keep the paper alive. But none of the efforts had the financial support to attract Scripps' attention.
Since 2005, Scripps has closed newspapers in the two-paper markets of Cincinnati, Albuquerque and Birmingham, Ala.
Nationally, only about 10 cities still have major, competing dailies, including Boston, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Seattle and Washington, D.C.
Owners of major papers including the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Minneapolis Star Tribune and Philadelphia Inquirer recently have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after advertising revenue failed to keep pace with expenses and debt obligations.
Seattle Post-Intelligencer publisher Hearst Corp. has put the newspaper up for sale, and will either close it or switch to an Internet-only publication if a deal does not materialize.
Hearst also announced that it may sell or close the San Francisco Chronicle unless it can achieve "significant" cuts in newsroom jobs and expenses.
The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press recently announced that they will offer home delivery just three days a week, leaving readers with smaller newsstand editions or Internet coverage on other days. The Detroit News is owned by MediaNews Group, publisher of The Denver Post.
Dozens of newspapers have cut budgets and trimmed staffing in an effort to survive the transition to new publishing models.
The Denver Newspaper Agency, which runs the combined business operations of The Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News, recently negotiated an 11.7 percent cut in wages and benefits from its union workers in a quest for $18 million in concessions. Similarly, MediaNews Group received about $2 million in givebacks from Denver Post union employees.
Spending on newspaper ads fell 9.4 percent in 2007 to $42 billion, and dropped an additional 17 percent in the first three quarters of 2008, the worst plunge in at least 37 years, according to the Newspaper Association of America.
Collectively, U.S. newspapers haven't recorded a gain in advertising since early 2006.
Classified advertising revenues have been especially hard hit, down 16.5 percent from 2006 to '07, as advertisers and their customers have shifted to Web-based vehicles such as craigslist.com. "Newspaper economics these days are unprecedented," Edward Atorino, a New York-based publishing analyst with The Benchmark Co., said recently. "There hasn't been an environment like this since the Great Depression, or before."
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Damn shame!

I love the RMN it's better than the post in my opinon. I'm going to miss it.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-a-rocky-road/
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...

Just a sign of the times... News Papers are struggling as it is. Add to it the current economy and the disapearance of the credit market and... well... there goes that.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Just a sign of the times... News Papers are struggling as it is. Add to it the current economy and the disapearance of the credit market and... well... there goes that.
Is it possible that the post could fold also?
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post

Why read a newspaper when you can go online and go to 6 different newssites? This will be the fate of most printed periodicals.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I prefer the Post to the News in almost every way, but it's a shame to see Denver turn into a one-paper town. The owner of the Post is a total schrutebag.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

In twenty years will any newspaper exist?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Is it possible that the post could fold also?
Unless papers figure out how to make a business case for giving away their content online for free... I wouldn't be surprised if most of them fold.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Why read a newspaper when you can go online and go to 6 different newssites? This will be the fate of most printed periodicals.

Yeah I agree... I like to read the weekend editions sitting around, but most news comes from elsewhere.
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
In twenty years will any newspaper exist?
Not in hardcopy.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

finally, good riddance, it was a rag anyways.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I remember seeing an episode on Death Valley Days as a kid on the founding of the Rocky Mtn News - sad to see it fold. I've subscribed to both the Post and RMN for years - RMN is the favorite in our house. One less source for Bronco info.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's extremely unfortunate. The Post is too liberal and their Broncos coverage sucks dick compared to the News. Lee Rasizer and Jeff Legwold were some of the best writers we've had since Schefter was in town. Now we get to read the ramblings of Jim Armstrong, Woody Paige and the vomit that spews from the cess pool of Mark Kiszla. Oh joy.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Sad day for those of us who work in media.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Truly gutted about this especially losing Lee Rasizer and Jeff Legwold as writers.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #18
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
finally, good riddance, it was a rag anyways.
If only they had your "sources"...

What could of been.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Denver Broncos local sports coverage just now plummeted. Good luck to Rasizer and Legewold. I hope they latch on somewhere.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's extremely unfortunate. The Post is too liberal and their Broncos coverage sucks dick compared to the News. Lee Rasizer and Jeff Legwold were some of the best writers we've had since Schefter was in town. Now we get to read the ramblings of Jim Armstrong, Woody Paige and the vomit that spews from the cess pool of Mark Kiszla. Oh joy.
Fair enough, but I think at least one of the two (either Rasizer or Legwold) will be joining the Post staff.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Can we ditch Kizla and that girl that everyone seems to know?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Can we ditch Kizla and that girl that everyone seems to know?
Lindsay (insert last name) is levels above Jim Armstrong and Kizla. I want to punch Armstrong in the face on a daily basis. Mostly because of his radio show. Every time he says "He Gone" I find a deep burning contempt in my gut.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Sad day for those of us who work in media.
Absolutely. I have a degree in journalism, but I haven't thought to venture into that realm BECAUSE of situations such as this. Times are changing, and I need to see if I can adapt to new situations. I took a couple of classes on web design and the workings of a webpage, but I need to learn a lot more if I am to be proficient in that area. I truly feel for you guys and gals already in the media...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Stupidest thing the newspaper industry did was not charge for online content. They didnt think it would catch on.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Stupidest thing the newspaper industry did was not charge for online content. They didnt think it would catch on.
A lot of other papers are finding that charging for online content doesn't work when most the internet is free already.