The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Another possible FA Target: Anthony Weaver to be released

He has 3-4 DE experience under Mike Nolan.

--------------------------------------------
Looking for cap room, Texans will release DE Weaver
by Adam Schefter

As the Friday beginning of the new league year creeps closer, teams are creating more and more salary-cap room.

Just days after cutting RB Ahman Green and LB Morlon Greenwood, the Texans will release DE Anthony Weaver on Tuesday. His $6.2 million base salary will come off the Texans’ salary cap, but they still must deal with $5.4 million in acceleration on his contract — a total savings of $800,000.

Once Weaver is released, it will not be long before he finds another job. Jets coach Rex Ryan coached Weaver in Baltimore and could sign him for New York, or the Ravens always could try to bring him back.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/look...ase-de-weaver/
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

eh, um... sure, bring him in.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

He could bust off 2k sacks in our system.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

He didn't fit in down in Houston with their 4-3 defense, but he's an underrated 3-4 DE who fits in exactly in Nolan's scheme and wouldn't be overly expensive. Honestly, I think he may be a better 3-4 DE than Olshansky and Canty.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Dukes
Ring of Famer

At this point, we can't afford not to bring guys like this in.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Man I've read articles on like 5 guys this last week being released and just about every writer wants to lead him to Rex Ryan and the Jets...Did they get rid of their entire defense too or are writers just catering to the NY media again?
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

This would be a quality pick up for the Broncos. He fits better in a 3-4 than anyone else we have. A better, and probably cheaper option than Igor.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Man I've read articles on like 5 guys this last week being released and just about every writer wants to lead him to Rex Ryan and the Jets...Did they get rid of their entire defense too or are writers just catering to the NY media again?
Here in NY all the papers and radio are throwing crap against the wall and when any Raven or former Raven gets cut they are saying the Jets will bring them in.

It's just like when an RB is let go all reports say Denver will be interested in them. They get paid to make crap up.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
At this point, we can't afford not to bring guys like this in.
Weaver now moves near the top of my free agent wishlist, my list is full of affordable guys who can serve as depth and compliment the large group of rookies hopefully coming in to help on defense. How's this sound?

Anthony Weaver, DE - Solid 3-4 DE with experience under Mike Nolan in Baltimore would come in as an immediate starter.

Mike Wright, DE/NT - Has the New England connection with McDaniels, a versatile and hard-working player who can start in a pinch and provide quality depth.

Ronald Fields, NT - True nose played under Nolan in San Francisco and should be solid #2 NT.

Grady Jackson, NT - Massive NT who could work in with Fields and a rookie for a season until the Broncos further solidify the spot.

Rosie Colvin, SOLB - Veteran has the Patriots connection and is experienced in the 3-4. Would serve as insurance to Boss Bailey and help mentor younger defenders.

Zach Thomas, SILB - Another veteran winding down his career, could provide a wonderful mentor to Spencer Larsen or a rookie SILB.

Ronald Bartell, CB - Up and coming young corner has great size and fits Nolan's physical scheme. Has experience as a starter, hopefully helping to prepare him from playing across Champ Bailey.

Lewis Sanders, CB - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders has plenty of experience and is versatile enough to play CB or S.

Allen Rossum, CB/KR - Also played under Nolan in San Francisco, experienced corner would provide depth but more importantly, provide a solid return man to rest Eddie Royal.

James Sanders, FS - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders is a blue-collar type player with plenty of experience. Fits the bill as a smart, tough defender that McDaniels, Nolan and Brian Xanders hope to define as the new Broncos-type of defender.

Jermaine Phillips, SS - A talented and physical SS who would greatly help in run support while having experience covering a lot of ground in the Tampa 2 defense.

J.T. O'Sullivan, QB - A player with some experience who is a big, athletic QB with a strong arm who would be a nice project for McDaniels to develop a long-term backup to Jay Cutler.

Lorenzo Neal, FB - The FB position isn't used much in McDaniels' system, but is important in short yardage situations. Neal is still a very good blocking FB who would come cheap.

Jabar Gaffney, WR - Experienced in McDaniels system, Gaffney would increase depth at the WR position and allow Brandon Stokley to work in with Royal as the Broncos slot-WR.

John Carney, K - Veteran kicker would provide a dependable upgrade to Matt Prater.

This would send us into the draft with:

QB: Cutler, O'Sullivan
RB: Hillis, Torain, Young
FB: Neal
WR: Marshall, Gaffney, C.Jackson
WR: Royal, Stokley
TE: Graham, Scheffler, Leach
LT: Clady, Polumbus
LG: Hamilton
C: Wiegmann, Lichtensteiger
RG: Kuper, Murray
RT: Harris

DE: Weaver, Wright, Crowder
NT: G.Jackson, Fields
DE: Thomas, Powell
WOLB: Moss, Dumervil
WILB: D.Williams, Woodyard
SILB: Larsen, Thomas
SOLB: B.Bailey, Colvin
CB: C.Bailey, Bell, J.Williams
CB: Bartell, L.Sanders, Rossum
FS: J.Sanders, Fox
SS: Phillips, Barrett

K: Carney, Prater
P: Kern
KR: Rossum, Young
PR: Rossum, Royal
DS: Leach, Scheffler

Last edited by montrose; 02-24-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
How's this sound?
Sounds very good, well done. Nobody on that list is an unrealistic get.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Weaver now moves near the top of my free

I would be very happy with this roster going into the draft.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

i tihnk that's a great bunch actually
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

Good work, Montrose. Wouldn't surprise me to go after a few of those guys.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

well thought out.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Weaver now moves near the top of my free agent wishlist, my list is full of affordable guys who can serve as depth and compliment the large group of rookies hopefully coming in to help on defense. How's this sound?

Anthony Weaver, DE - Solid 3-4 DE with experience under Mike Nolan in Baltimore would come in as an immediate starter.

Mike Wright, DE/NT - Has the New England connection with McDaniels, a versatile and hard-working player who can start in a pinch and provide quality depth.

Ronald Fields, NT - True nose played under Nolan in San Francisco and should be solid #2 NT.

Grady Jackson, NT - Massive NT who could work in with Fields and a rookie for a season until the Broncos further solidify the spot.

Rosie Colvin, SOLB - Veteran has the Patriots connection and is experienced in the 3-4. Would serve as insurance to Boss Bailey and help mentor younger defenders.

Zach Thomas, SILB - Another veteran winding down his career, could provide a wonderful mentor to Spencer Larsen or a rookie SILB.

Ronald Bartell, CB - Up and coming young corner has great size and fits Nolan's physical scheme. Has experience as a starter, hopefully helping to prepare him from playing across Champ Bailey.

Lewis Sanders, CB - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders has plenty of experience and is versatile enough to play CB or S.

Allen Rossum, CB/KR - Also played under Nolan in San Francisco, experienced corner would provide depth but more importantly, provide a solid return man to rest Eddie Royal.

James Sanders, FS - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders is a blue-collar type player with plenty of experience. Fits the bill as a smart, tough defender that McDaniels, Nolan and Brian Xanders hope to define as the new Broncos-type of defender.

Jermaine Phillips, SS - A talented and physical SS who would greatly help in run support while having experience covering a lot of ground in the Tampa 2 defense.

J.T. O'Sullivan, QB - A player with some experience who is a big, athletic QB with a strong arm who would be a nice project for McDaniels to develop a long-term backup to Jay Cutler.

Lorenzo Neal, FB - The FB position isn't used much in McDaniels' system, but is important in short yardage situations. Neal is still a very good blocking FB who would come cheap.

Jabar Gaffney, WR - Experienced in McDaniels system, Gaffney would increase depth at the WR position and allow Brandon Stokley to work in with Royal as the Broncos slot-WR.

John Carney, K - Veteran kicker would provide a dependable upgrade to Matt Prater.

I wouldn't mind that at all, aside from the fact that Boss Bailey is listed as the starting SOLB. I think that would make SOLB the #1 priority in the draft. I just don't see Boss as a 3-4 LB.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Another DE people are overlooking is Antonio Smith of the AZ Cards. He has been a real solid player for them and won't break the bank.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Great list Montrose. I would only remove two players. Gaffney and Neal.

Chad Jackson and Gaffney are the same player. Same goes Neal and Andrew Pinnock. Best part is that Jackson & Pinnock are already on the roster.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Chad Jackson and Gaffney are the same player.
Although keep in mind that NE clearly preferred Gaffney to Jackson for whatever reason.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Montrose for GM.....
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Gaffney has played great for the Pats. I really like the Ron Fields pickup. He can be good.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
Fan In Exile
Random Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I like it a lot Montrose except for two things. J.T. is going to be 30 before the next season starts so I think he's passed the long term back-up/development stage. I would rather they just draft a guy later to ack up Cutler.

I also don't think that Marshall, Gaffney, Royal, is better than Marshall, Royal, Stockley. I'd rather just draft a young guy to develop for when Stockley gets older.
Fan In Exile is offline   Reply With Quote