The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is this most exciting time for Broncos fans since Super Bowl 33?
Yes! New coaching staff, new front office. This is crazy!!! 46 41.82%
No, the begining of the Cutler era was. 14 12.73%
No, it was the 2005 playoff run. 43 39.09%
No, it was when Plummer came in. 3 2.73%
No, I love me some Brian Griese! 4 3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Is this the most exciting time in Broncos history since Super Bowl 33?

The boards are going crazy!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

I'm still not sure it was the right move but there is no doubt it is exciting.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Meck77
Google Blows

No...2005 was a one big ass party all season long both home and away!

Even the Plummer haters were coming to town back then joining the bandwagon! Now they sit around and b**** about how we almost won a superbowl. Imagine that.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-23-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Exciting means winning. The '05 run was the last time we did that really consistently.

There's a lot of uncertainty in the recent offseason moves and certainly very mixed expectations. I would say it is the most interesting offseason Denver has seen since Shanahan came into town, but it's not the most exciting.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Yep, it's exciting as all get-out! In the 05 season, it was exciting too, but the offense was way too inconsistent to really believe (at least for me) that the team could WIN a SB. Also, the defense was alot better than the 2008 defense, but it was still pretty inconsistent too, if I recall correctly.

Was the 2005 team fun to watch, sure, if you weren't scared Plummer would throw a pick at the exact wrong time.

With Cutler behind center, you have the cornerstone of the offense for a long time. This team has a great, trememdous offensive line to protect Cutler and open holes. All this team needs is a consistent running game and if Hillis is that guy, great, I really don't care who it is, I just want a go-to RB.

What concerns everyone here is the defense. But, as demonstrated by last season's Phins team, a defense can be good, even if it's much different than it was the year before.

If the Broncos can field a top 5 scoring offense, with a top 15 defense, I see great improvement.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

like Kaylore said...this is interesting, but I haven't been excited since 2005. When Pitt knocked off Indy, I was having visions of sugar plums.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

05 was way better.

Id be more exited about this season if shanny were coach
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Meck77
Google Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Yep, it's exciting as all get-out! In the 05 season, it was exciting too, but the offense was way too inconsistent to really believe (at least for me) that the team could WIN a SB. Also, the defense was alot better than the 2008 defense, but it was still pretty inconsistent too, if I recall correctly.

Was the 2005 team fun to watch, sure, if you weren't scared Plummer would throw a pick at the exact wrong time.

With Cutler behind center, you have the cornerstone of the offense for a long time. This team has a great, trememdous offensive line to protect Cutler and open holes. All this team needs is a consistent running game and if Hillis is that guy, great, I really don't care who it is, I just want a go-to RB.

What concerns everyone here is the defense. But, as demonstrated by last season's Phins team, a defense can be good, even if it's much different than it was the year before.

If the Broncos can field a top 5 scoring offense, with a top 15 defense, I see great improvement.
Yeah it really sucked going to home games, pulling out wins, and seeing hundreds of Broncos fans tailgating in the parking lots throwing down high fives long after the game was over.

It's been much more fun watching out team get FLAT OUT BEAT DOWN and embarrassed by big double digit losses since then.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-23-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I am looking forward the upcoming season with the changes and all.

But 2005 takes it, that was a special season.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

2005 rocked. I saw two games that season (I live in FL) - the Jax game and the playoff game vs. the Pats. 13-3, dreams of another Super Bowl...ugh...those frickin Steelers!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Yeah it really sucked going to home games, pulling out wins, and seeing hundreds of Broncos fans tailgating in the parking lots throwing down high fives long after the game was over.

It's been much more fun watching out team get FLAT OUT BEAT DOWN and embarrassed by big double digit losses since then.
Touche. I wasn't in Denver then so I can't speak for the atmosphere. I bet it was cool has hell. My bad.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Touche. I wasn't in Denver then so I can't speak for the atmosphere. I bet it was cool has hell. My bad.
I was in Denver for one game in 2005, and met Meck at the SD game.

I remember the croud booing the Broncos at the Half.

I remember Champ saving the season with his Pick6 to start the 2nd half.

The rest of the year was better but I wasn't in town either.

Funny what different people remember about that year. That is what makes us humans fun. It would suck if everyone thought the same way.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

2005 is the year I point to as a direct culture-change for the Broncos in this town. Many point to the lack of winning having a direct effect on diminishing passion for the Broncos. However, that year we were hosting the AFC Title Game and the Steelers fans absolutely took over that stadium. From my understanding in talking with other season ticket holders, there were significant fan bases from New England, Philadelphia, Washington and Oakland during that season of winning. It appeared from TV that carried over to the next season and I can vouch for being surrounded by fans of Seattle Freakin' Seahawks during Cutler's 1st start.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh, a smaller market and city of less affluence than Denver with tickets that (of my understanding) are more expensive than Denver hosts the AFC Title Game and I couldn't catch more than two Ravens fans in the entire crowd. It's easy to blame losing, but something (I can't put my finger on it) has changed the football culture in Denver. People still care about the Broncos, but I do not consider Broncos fans to be anywhere near as passionate as some of the other fan bases. And 2005 is an example that it's not exclusively related to winning. And on a side note, if it were - I'd be even more disgusted as I loathe those who are "passionate" about their teams because they're winning. If you care about your team you should show it all times, not just bandwagon hopping time. Obviously this does not speak to those on this forum, as members of an internet message board like this are obviously passionate fans who care about their team, just wanted to point that out.

Last edited by montrose; 02-23-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

most exciting time ? no , but one of the most uncertain times thats for sure
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

05 more exciting by a ton...

Nothing is more exciting then winning football games.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Meck77
Google Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Funny what different people remember about that year. That is what makes us humans fun. It would suck if everyone thought the same way.
And we won! And Broncos fans partied in the streets after the game! Too bad you didn't make more games that season.

Hopefully we can all get together once again next season and celebrate a victory.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/den/2005.htm
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
And we won! And Broncos fans partied in the streets after the game! Too bad you didn't make more games that season.

Hopefully we can all get together once again next season and celebrate a victory.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/den/2005.htm
I hope to be able to make it out to Denver to one game this year. I have to start saving now!

Had fun last year at the NO game. Great weekend.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
2005 is the year I point to as a direct culture-change for the Broncos in this town. Many point to the lack of winning having a direct effect on diminishing passion for the Broncos. However, that year we were hosting the AFC Title Game and the Steelers fans absolutely took over that stadium. From my understanding in talking with other season ticket holders, there were significant fan bases from New England, Philadelphia, Washington and Oakland during that season of winning. It appeared from TV that carried over to the next season and I can vouch for being surrounded by fans of Seattle Freakin' Seahawks during Cutler's 1st start.

Meanwhile Pittsburgh, a smaller market and city of less affluence than Denver with tickets that (of my understanding) are more expensive than Denver hosts the AFC Title Game and I couldn't catch more than two Ravens fans in the entire crowd. It's easy to blame losing, but something (I can't put my finger on it) has changed the football culture in Denver. People still care about the Broncos, but I do not consider Broncos fans to be anywhere near as passionate as some of the other fan bases. And 2005 is an example that it's not exclusively related to winning (and on a side note, if it were - I'd be even more disgusted as I loathe those who are "passionate" about their teams because they're winning. If you care about your team you should show it all times, not just bandwagon hopping time).
It's called apathy, and that is the main reason Shanny had to go. When the fans stop caring, then you've got a real problem as an owner.

Mile High Stadium is history. It's gone. When Bowlen demolished Mile High Stadium, he demolished the Broncos link with the blue-collar fan that supported the team through thick and thin.

Does Invesco still sell out? Sure, I guess. But is it full of fanatical Broncos fans from top to bottom, no. It's filled with alot of transplants and corporate morons who just want to see a game. It's a wine and cheese crowd, if you please.

Hey, there's alot of money in the greater Denver metro area. Lots of peeps with lots of cash and they can afford to sit on the 50 yard line and "watch" the game. If they are season ticket holders, but they grew up in San Francisco or Washington or Pittsburgh then they probably root against the Broncos when thier home team comes to town. Or, they sell their seats to a third party who is there to root for the other team. PA-THET-ICK!

But, Bowlen got his new digs, the cash flow is much better, and Bowlen spends his money on the team.

Eh, I don't live in Denver anymore so I really can't say I care. Denver is a town full of transients who only root for the local teams as a second option AND I FUGGEN HATE IT!!!

I got alot of angst against the idiots who moved to Denver in the last 20 years.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
It's called apathy, and that is the main reason Shanny had to go. When the fans stop caring, then you've got a real problem as an owner.

Mile High Stadium is history. It's gone. When Bowlen demolished Mile High Stadium, he demolished the Broncos link with the blue-collar fan that supported the team through thick and thin.

Does Invesco still sell out? Sure, I guess. But is it full of fanatical Broncos fans from top to bottom, no. It's filled with alot of transplants and corporate morons who just want to see a game. It's a wine and cheese crowd, if you please.

Hey, there's alot of money in the greater Denver metro area. Lots of peeps with lots of cash and they can afford to sit on the 50 yard line and "watch" the game. If they are season ticket holders, but they grew up in San Francisco or Washington or Pittsburgh then they probably root against the Broncos when thier home team comes to town. Or, they sell their seats to a third party who is there to root for the other team. PA-THET-ICK!

But, Bowlen got his new digs, the cash flow is much better, and Bowlen spends his money on the team.
I've thought that as well, but Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, New England and Cleveland are examples of teams that tore down their old stadiums and aren't having these issues to my knowledge.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I've thought that as well, but Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, New England and Cleveland are examples of teams that tore down their old stadiums and aren't having these issues to my knowledge.
Yeah , but they didnt have the history Mile High did , and what I mean by that is ......back in the 60's Atlanta made a bid for the Denver Broncos , Bears stadium back then was to small , the owner( Bob Howsam) then decided to go ahead and sell the Broncos to the highest Bidder , The Phipps bros bought em and built on to Mile High (back then Bears Stadium) , for the Longest time The Broncos were the only game in town , they got all the media attention .......
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I think it's definitely the most exciting time.

I think the dawn of the Griese and Plummer eras were both big, for different reasons. Bringing in Cutler was exciting.

But, this is wholesale change after a decade of mostly mediocrity. (Yes, we did some good things in that decade.)

I don't see how you can't be excited right now. Great offense in place, a coveted coaching prospect, a high draft pick, cap room and a defense that pretty much can't go anywhere but up.

What's not to like!?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yep, and you want to know why montrose? It's very simple: People from all over the country WANT TO LIVE IN DENVER.

It's at the top of everyone's list.

That's the difference my friend.

No one wants to pick up and move to Pittsburgh!

No one wants to pick up and move to Foxborough (Boston, maybe, if you can afford it).

No one wants to pick up and move to Cleveland!

Do you see my point? DENVER is full of people who grew up somewhere else. Now they make Denver their home, and they bring their home town teams with them.

It sucks for real natives such as myself to be surrounded by people from Northern California (yuk) or the beltway (Washington or Baltimore fans) or the Midwest (Packer fans, for example).

So, when you go to Invesco and sit down next to some azzzz-clown who really doesn't give a crap about the game, and this azzz-clown asks you to sit down because he/she can't see the field, ask this azzzzzzzz-clown a questions: "HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED IN DENVER AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?"

9 times out of 10 I bet they say, "We moved here in 1996 from Long Beach, CA (or some other place, doesn't really matter) and I grew up loving the 49ers (or some other team doesn't really matter)."

The true Broncos fan is the guy with the beer standing next to you yelling his butt off trying to get the team to play better. But, in many ways, he's dissappearing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Yep, and you want to know why montrose? It's very simple: People from all over the country WANT TO LIVE IN DENVER.

It's at the top of everyone's list.

That's the difference my friend.

No one wants to pick up and move to Pittsburgh!

No one wants to pick up and move to Foxborough (Boston, maybe, if you can afford it).

No one wants to pick up and move to Cleveland!

Do you see my point? DENVER is full of people who grew up somewhere else. Now they make Denver their home, and they bring their home town teams with them.

It sucks for real natives such as myself to be surrounded by people from Northern California (yuk) or the beltway (Washington or Baltimore fans) or the Midwest (Packer fans, for example).

So, when you go to Invesco and sit down next to some azzzz-clown who really doesn't give a crap about the game, and this azzz-clown asks you to sit down because he/she can't see the field, ask this azzzzzzzz-clown a questions: "HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED IN DENVER AND WHERE ARE YOU FROM?"

9 times out of 10 I bet they say, "We moved here in 1996 from Long Beach, CA (or some other place, doesn't really matter) and I grew up loving the 49ers (or some other team doesn't really matter)."

The true Broncos fan is the guy with the beer standing next to you yelling his butt off trying to get the team to play better. But, in many ways, he's dissappearing.
Then it's solved. It now becomes my personal mission to make Denver the shi**iest place in the country to live so we can have a passionate fan base again.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Then it's solved. It now becomes my personal mission to make Denver the shi**iest place in the country to live so we can have a passionate fan base again.
I could Always move back
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
What's not to like!?
Besides a bunch of guys with no experience as pro-executives in our front office? Nothing at all!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote