The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you want at #12?
Chris Wells, RB 1 1.69%
Knowshon Moreno, RB 1 1.69%
Tyson Jackson, DE 2 3.39%
Brian Orakpo, OLB 9 15.25%
Everette Brown, OLB 8 13.56%
Aaron Maybin, OLB 2 3.39%
Brian Cushing, OLB/ILB 8 13.56%
Rey Maualuga, ILB 20 33.90%
Malcolm Jenkins, CB 5 8.47%
Other 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Who do you want at #12?

For the record just so we can know who wants what now. Based on guys currently projected to possibly be available at positions of need. No trade downs, if we stay at #12, who do want?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

rey,,,with a signing of haynesworth would solidify the interior to a great degree
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Maybin or Orakpo.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Maybin or Orakpo.
I voted Cushing, but I'm warming more to the idea of taking a pass rusher. Those dudes are like gold in the NFL, but they bust often and at this point I'm scared sh**less we're going to blow this pick.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

I still like Rey at this point. We need a leader in the LB corp badly.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I would like Rey or Orakpo. We need to get size and aggression with that first pick, a kind of statement pick.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I voted Cushing, but I'm warming more to the idea of taking a pass rusher. Those dudes are like gold in the NFL, but they bust often and at this point I'm scared sh**less we're going to blow this pick.
What's funny is I think of all the guys you listed, the pass rushers seem the safest. Rey is a boom or bust type and given his school, the players surrounding him and his flaws, he's probably more bust than boom.

I'd be happy with Jenkins, but he won't fall to us (I said that about Clady and he fell. Maybe I can reverse jinx it. )

We have too many needs on defense to waste picks on a first round running back.

That leaves Maybin and Orakpo. I'd be happy with either. I voted Maybin, but I would probably prefer Orakpo because he's got more experience.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

orakpo does have all the tools to be a very special player
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think just about every player up there significantly upgrades our team, and I change who I want daily, but I will go back to Rey today.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
What's funny is I think of all the guys you listed, the pass rushers seem the safest. Rey is a boom or bust type and given his school, the players surrounding him and his flaws, he's probably more bust than boom.

I'd be happy with Jenkins, but he won't fall to us (I said that about Clady and he fell. Maybe I can reverse jinx it. )

We have too many needs on defense to waste picks on a first round running back.

That leaves Maybin and Orakpo. I'd be happy with either. I voted Maybin, but I would probably prefer Orakpo because he's got more experience.
I've got the combine on here in the background and just found out Maybin is from the same suburb of MD I went to high school in. Turns out he's from my High School's rival, funny thing is our area's turned out next-to-zero NFL prospects. Irrelevant, but interesting to me.

Back on point, do you really think Maybin/Brown/Orakpo are safer picks than Cushing or Jackson? I agree that Rey seems like a risky pick, we can't afford to take a RB at this point and I think we'll address CB in free agency. But I still shudder at the names of Kamerion Wimbley (except his rookie year), Manny Lawson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey and Lawrence Jackson as recent 1st round pass rushers who've yet to impress.

Pass rushers are a value 2nd only to be QBs in my eyes (or at least tied for 2nd with LTs). And I'm usually an advocate that you can't be scared to take a guy for fear he'll bust and you need to trust your F.O. department. But in a year when we have soooo many holes on defense to fill, I'd rather take a guy with a lower ceiling but less-likely chance to bust in round 1 than a guy with a higher ceiling and increased-busting probability. Many might disagree with me, but I just think this 1st round pick needs to be a guy who can be a solid contributor to the defensive unit for the next 5-6 seasons at least. We cannot miss on the pick. By my definition of miss, I mean completely bust. Would I love to land a Clady at #12? Of course, that dude's play at the LT position merited the #1 overall pick and we got him at #12! And maybe Orakpo or Maybin are the next Ware, but they could also be the next Lawson and that scares the absolute crap out of me. With Cushing or Jackson, I'd have confidence that we landed a solid starter for years to come. But what the hell do I know, we'll probably draft someone completely out of left field to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Brown, Jackson, Cushing, Maybin, or Jenkins are all fine by me.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've got the combine on here in the background and just found out Maybin is from the same suburb of MD I went to high school in. Turns out he's from my High School's rival, funny thing is our area's turned out next-to-zero NFL prospects. Irrelevant, but interesting to me.

Back on point, do you really think Maybin/Brown/Orakpo are safer picks than Cushing or Jackson? I agree that Rey seems like a risky pick, we can't afford to take a RB at this point and I think we'll address CB in free agency. But I still shudder at the names of Kamerion Wimbley (except his rookie year), Manny Lawson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey and Lawrence Jackson as recent 1st round pass rushers who've yet to impress.
Pass rushers are a value 2nd only to be QBs in my eyes (or at least tied for 2nd with LTs). And I'm usually an advocate that you can't be scared to take a guy for fear he'll bust and you need to trust your F.O. department. But in a year when we have soooo many holes on defense to fill, I'd rather take a guy with a lower ceiling but less-likely chance to bust in round 1 than a guy with a higher ceiling and increased-busting probability. Many might disagree with me, but I just think this 1st round pick needs to be a guy who can be a solid contributor to the defensive unit for the next 5-6 seasons at least. We cannot miss on the pick. By my definition of miss, I mean completely bust. Would I love to land a Clady at #12? Of course, that dude's play at the LT position merited the #1 overall pick and we got him at #12! And maybe Orakpo or Maybin are the next Ware, but they could also be the next Lawson and that scares the absolute crap out of me. With Cushing or Jackson, I'd have confidence that we landed a solid starter for years to come. But what the hell do I know, we'll probably draft someone completely out of left field to me.
That right there is truly scary.
Again, i will get the "homer tag" because of this, but i think going after Gabe Watson with a 3rd and a 2010 pick, and grabbing either Cushing or Rey in the 1st and then going after C.Mathews in the 2nd is one of the best ways to bring in a solid core to the LB corps in DEN. I guess i should let todays festivities play out 1st though.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

1. Raji (won't be there)

2. Rey

3. Cushing

4. Orakpo
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I like Cushing as a trade down prospect, but my opinion is still that he isn't a #12 pick. He has a great motor, but I don't think he looks like a dominant SOLB like others do. I don't really like the way he tackles either. He leaves his feet too early and tries to whip people down. I think he will have to change that in the NFL, especially if he plays SOLB. He almost looks more like a 3-4 ILB to me.

Based on the fact that we will probably use Moss or Dumervil at WOLB, I might just have to say Tyson Jackson. He already draws double teams and will be playing his "natural position." He might help our defense the most, and allow all our LB's to learn their position.

As far as pass rushers at WOLB, I still think either Everette Brown or Larry English will be the best in this years draft. I think Orakpo would make a tremendous 4-3 DE, I just don't buy him as an LB yet (after watching a fair amount of Texas football games - not 40 yard dashes). Larry English has the attitude and skill set I would choose. And, he is already able to destroy O-linemen, something Cushing hasn't really shown yet. Cushing usually plays the gaps and uses his speed, where guys like English, Brown, and Orakpo can push and OT or TE around the field.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

I'm not against that. I'm ok with safe choices that make the overall defense much better even if we don't get any flashy, but riskier game changers. I think you need to raise the overall general level of the defense before you can start getting risky. However I also believe in focusing on BPA and using the first picks on a position you get a lot of mileage out of. I think DE/OLB is the way to go. It would seem that's where the most value is for us at 12.

Really though, I'd like to find some team salivating over Rey like the Jets or Chargers and trade back for more picks.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Similar situation with Joe Thomas for me.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I don't feel real good about Rey. I think Orakpo is going to be an absolute stud. Unfortunately, I think he will be gone before #12.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Rey Rey runs a 4.83 and pulls up lame. Curry ran a 4.54. Clay Mathews ran a 4.59.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Clay Mathews looks like a man, Rey Rey looks like a mean SOB. Cushing wasn't as fast as I thought he would be.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Rey Rey runs a 4.83 and pulls up lame. Curry ran a 4.54. Clay Mathews ran a 4.59.
Awful. He'll run sub 4.6 at his pro day.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

i do find it interesting that laurinaitis is off the radar at this point...why is that?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido View Post
i do find it interesting that laurinaitis is off the radar at this point...why is that?
Not sure, although Mayock has him ranked higher than Maualuga which certainly raises my eye.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

after rey pulled up lame there, i was all over him for our pick at #12, maybe blinded by the usc numbers, but laurinaitis has played at the top for three years now....is it because of his consistency that he is getting overlooked? I would not be upset at all with picking laurinaitis.....a very solid player.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #24
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
after rey pulled up lame there, i was all over him for our pick at #12, maybe blinded by the usc numbers, but laurinaitis has played at the top for three years now....is it because of his consistency that he is getting overlooked? I would not be upset at all with picking laurinaitis.....a very solid player.
Considering he's been recently projected as a late 1st rounder at best, I think he'd be a huge reach at #12. We also have to ask ourselves how much better we think he'd be at SILB than Larsen.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The only knock on Laurinitus that ive ever read or discussed is that he cant play inside in the NFL. That he gets washed out of too many plays and ends up 10-15 yards downfield and then makes a play.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: