The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default Channing Crowder anyone??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

LB Crowder expects Dolphins to let him test free-agent market
Associated Press

JUPITER, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder expects to be on the free-agent market next week, based on his most recent conversations with general manager Jeff Ireland and vice president of football operations Bill Parcells.

Channing Crowder, LB
Miami Dolphins

Height: 6-2
Weight: 250
Experience: 4th season"They said, 'Well, we want to see what your market value is, and see where it goes from there,"' Crowder said Friday night at a charity softball game involving NFL players. "So hopefully it does get real, real high and they have to match something high, but we'll see when free agency comes around."

NFL free agency begins Feb. 27. The Dolphins on Friday announced they re-signed right tackle Vernon Carey, leaving Crowder, safeties Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill and cornerback Andre Goodman to become unrestricted free agents.

Crowder finished second on the team last season with a career-high 113 tackles. The former Florida Gators star has spent his entire four-year NFL career with the Dolphins.

"They did have the whole season to re-sign me, and they really didn't want to talk about anything, so maybe they didn't like me as a player or whatever it was," Crowder said. "If they want to get into a bidding battle with somebody, that means they really didn't want me anyway.

"I want to play football next year, and I'm confident I can play in the NFL, so I'll play football next year and hopefully it's with the Dolphins. But if it's with somebody else, I know I can play football. They had the first crack at it and they dropped the ball, so we'll see what other teams do. It's their loss."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Is anyone familiar with his play? I know he got into a big tussle with a Charger last year (which indears him to my heart) and was thrown out of the game.
He could fill the MLB spot leaving us free to pick a DLineman instead of Rey Rey.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Didn't he have a bad knee injury at some point within the last couple of years? Unless the price is right I think there are better choices.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Depends upon how much of a "Value" Channing Crowder feels he is.... Somehow I have the feeling he will price himself out of our range.
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Did Crowder play ILB or OLB for the Dolphins?

We might take a great ILB in the draft, but we probably don't need to pursue one in FA. I think DJ and Larsen fit the bill so far for ILB's unless we pick Rey in round 1.

We need OLB's.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It would seem like a natural fit but I'm a Parcells fan. If he doesn't think this guy is worth keeping...
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

yea, you gotta wonder about his health or his heart...

if Parcells is looking to get away from a 25 year old linebacker who at one point had a TON of upside, you have to wonder whats wrong
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Did Crowder play ILB or OLB for the Dolphins?

We might take a great ILB in the draft, but we probably don't need to pursue one in FA. I think DJ and Larsen fit the bill so far for ILB's unless we pick Rey in round 1.

We need OLB's.
Yeah, because nothing says solid up the middle better than no nose tackle, DJ Williams and Spencer Larsen.

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

The 2007 season of Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder ended four games early because of knee problems.

Today, Crowder sat out practice with knee soreness, riding an exercise bike off to the side.

Crowder, who is coming off a 10-tackle performance against San Francisco, has had knee problems since he was a high school player.

Coach Tony Sparano didn't sound concerned about Crowder's latest issue.

"He ended up waking up and his knee was really stiff," Sparano said. "So we're going to take a look at it and he needed a day's rest."

Last year, Crowder had season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Dec. 18. He still finished with a team-high 78 tackles.

With two games remaining this season, Crowder, 25, has a career-high 106 tackles and leads the team.

A four-year veteran, he is in the final year of his contract. His agent, Joel Segal, and the team have not come to a new agreement.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...resh_fish.html
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Thing that concerns me is if he was worth a damn, parcells and sparano wouldn't let him walk.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

If we're going to hit ILB then it better be for someone who is for sure awesome rather than an another "unknown" like we have right now.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

he played inside for the fins this year and was ok it was his first year in a 3-4 he has been viewed as a 4-3 mlb most of his career.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If we're going to hit ILB then it better be for someone who is for sure awesome rather than an another "unknown" like we have right now.
I'd much rather we pass on Crowder if they want DJ to try inside.

I've heard Crowder is pretty much functionally retarded.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Looking at the top two 3-4 ILBs in FA, Scott and Crowder. We have to determine if:

1) They're better than Larsen
2) They're better than Maualuga and Cushing
3) They're within cost

If we can answer yes to all of these questions, than it's possible we could bring one in (I'd prefer Scott as I think he's the better player) and solidify the ILB spot allowing us to take a pass rusher at #12, Cushing to man the SOLB position or Jackson to solidify the DE spot. If we can't answer yes to all of the questions above, we may be better off picking one of the USC kids to fortify the middle for the future or sticking with Larsen for a season while we pickup an OLB or Jackson.

If your one who values leadership at the ILB spot, it would seem Maualuga is the way to go as Scott recently told Sirius he's more a quiet, lead-by-example type and I've found nothing to tell me Crowder is a defensive-leader whereas leadership and heart have been two qualities routinely linked to Maualuga. I personally am beginning to lean more towards a pass-rusher because they're so incredibly valuable and rare, however those guys miss so often I'm not sure I wouldn't rather go with the safer picks in Cushing, Maualuga or Jackson and try to survive for a season with Jarvis and Doom at WOLB. I'm higher on Larsen than some, and think he could at least be a stop-gap starter at ILB, but bringing in a guy like Scott (even though I'm not big on signing ex-Ravens defenders) would be nice as we could let Larsen do his thing on special teams and he would be a nice reserve ILB. We could then go pass rusher or Cushing at #12. If we can fill a need in free agency, I say go for it. If we were to sign Scott (or Crowder) we could be looking at:

DE: Wright/Canty/Olshansky/Mosley
NT: G.Jackson/Fields/Watson/Brace
DE/UT: Thomas
WOLB/DE: Moss/Dumervil
WLB/WILB: DJ
MLB/SILB: Scott
SOLB/SILB: Cushing/Boss

or

DE: Wright/Canty/Olshansky/Mosley
WOLB/DE: Orakpo/Brown/Maybin
SOLB/SILB: Boss

or

DE: T.Jackson
WOLB/DE: Moss/Dumervil
SOLB/SILB: Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah, because nothing says solid up the middle better than no nose tackle, DJ Williams and Spencer Larsen.

So Rev, what would you think of an ILB duo of DJ and Larsen with some combination of G.Jackson/Watson/Fields/Brace at the nose? Think we could get by for a season?

Last edited by montrose; 02-23-2009 at 07:44 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I very much doubt whether we'll see Bart Scott here. He'll either stay with the Ravens or go to the Jets.

We'll go for a mid-tier guy like Andra Davis IMO or a draftee for the Ted.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
So Rev, what would you think of an ILB duo of DJ and Larsen with some combination of G.Jackson/Watson/Fields/Brace at the nose? Think we could get by for a season?
My concern is that we HAVE been "getting by for a season" since Al broke his neck.

Get the blue chip MLB now. It HAS to be priority 1.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
My concern is that we HAVE been "getting by for a season" since Al broke his neck.

If Raji is there @ 12(which I doubt) we should take him--IF we had Pat Willis right now, he would not have made that big of a difference when he is trying to fight off G/C's all the time. If BJ isn't there I'd really like to see us trade down a bit (to 18-20)and get a LB either Cushing, Rey or maybe Orapko from UT and then get an extra #2 to use on Donald Brown out of UCONN who I LOVE as our featured RB.

Last edited by broncofan7; 02-23-2009 at 08:09 AM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Or, just maybe keeping Larsen and Dj in the middle will allow us to get a NT...

I think the combo of DJ and Larsen will actually be pretty solid if we can get some talent on the D-line. Say what you want, but Dj is a very fast LB, and Spencer Larsen so far has shown he is a downhill hammer against the run. Now that we have a "more aggressive" linebackers coach, we might even see the killer instinct of the defense improve.

Dj and Larsen would be just fine in the middle, build the D-line first.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:

Totally agree with this....we've been band-aiding the issue for years now instead of just taking a straight up surgical approach to the defense...

now that its been ripped apart, we need someone to take the reigns and lead like Al used to....i'm talking about a guy who yells at his own teammates and gets fired up on the sidelines...not these guys that make a tackle 16 yards downfield and bump their own chests and scream towards the crowd

normally this wouldnt be the type of role you would want filled by a rookie but this defense wouldnt have anyone that could "rebel" against bringing in a young leader...

bring in REY REY
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
If Raji is there @ 12(which i doubt) we should take him--IF we had Pat Willis right now, he would not have made that big of a difference when he is trying to fight off G/C's all the time.
Raji = 4-3 DT
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Look at the stars of almost every good 3-4 defense and they are OLB's (and linemen). We have guys that can play ILB on the team right now, we probably don't have our solution at OLB.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Raji = 4-3 DT
He's young, agile and around 340lbs---sounds like someone who could develop into a NT to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Look at the stars of almost every good 3-4 defense and they are OLB's (and linemen). We have guys that can play ILB on the team right now, we probably don't have our solution at OLB.
Orapko! or that FSU guy that slips my mind--but @ 12?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Totally agree with this....we've been band-aiding the issue for years now instead of just taking a straight up surgical approach to the defense...

now that its been ripped apart, we need someone to take the reigns and lead like Al used to....i'm talking about a guy who yells at his own teammates and gets fired up on the sidelines...not these guys that make a tackle 16 yards downfield and bump their own chests and scream towards the crowd

normally this wouldnt be the type of role you would want filled by a rookie but this defense wouldnt have anyone that could "rebel" against bringing in a young leader...

bring in REY REY
I'm not against Rey, he could be a good upgrade, but why don't we hear about 3-4 ILB's during the season? We hear about Merriman, Harrison, Porter, Woodley, Suggs, etc.. We need more stars on the outside than the inside right now.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

true, the outside guys are the ones who get the Sportscenter highlights and the big plays....but I really feel like we can turn some of the "defensive ends" into good pass rushing OLBs

the reason I put that in quotes is because Elvis and Moss were being completely shut down because of their size when they were playing end...movign them a few steps back and letting them use their speed (especially Elvis) coudl be very beneficial...

DJ CANNOT play ILB...why are we still working on this experiment? Move him outside, let him run...

OLBs - DJ, Elvis, Moss
ILB - Rey Rey, Larsen

I'm not even including Boss into the mix because I see another injury plagued season...the rest of the snaps can be rotated through the mix of scrubs and blowhards that played so poorly this year

is DJ DEFINITELY staying in the middle?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
He's young, agile and around 340lbs---sounds like someone who could develop into a NT to me.
Or instead of reaching for a guy that you hope turns out to play a real tough position, get a player you already know can play the NT like Gabe Watson and use the picks elsewhere on a depleted team.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote