The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Given our current situation, how far is this team from a Superbowl?
1 year 9 6.12%
2 years 41 27.89%
3 years 61 41.50%
4 years 16 10.88%
5 or more years 20 13.61%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Post Apocalyptica: how far is this team from a Superbowl?

Simple, straightforward question:

Given our current situation, how far is this team from a Superbowl?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I'll go with 3 years.

1st year - Implement system, acquire most of the players needed for that system.

2nd year - Acquire more/better players. Players feeling more comfortable with system and better play as a result. Would like to see at least a wildcard spot.

3rd year - System should be fully implemented. I expect serious playoff contention.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Two years.

Why not. A little optimistic, but until I see reason not to be... I'll get behind the staff. McD has a great pedigree... Nolan has the experience to get the defense rolling and we already have a great offense in place.

Three might be more realistic given the need to see drafts play out, but what the heck.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

We're in serious rebuilding mode. The Ferrari isn't running; the entire drive train is being overhauled and it's taking on an off-the-frame restoration. This is gonna take time, guys. Rome wasn't built in a day. In the meantime, we're looking at contention for the division cellar, I'm afraid.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

If we sniff the playoff before Josh gets fired I'll be surprised ...
I hope I'm way off ... But i just have a bad feeling we are about to see how the other half live . I have made a post or two about the Broncos fans being spoiled since the 80s and i think it may have just caught up to us ..
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I voted 5+. I think Broncos will be a contender in 3 years but to win it all you need some luck injuries and need to catch some breaks. I think it will be 5+ years before broncos win the next SB. I do beleive that Cutler will win a SB with broncos when its all said and done.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

You don't fire a HOF coach and get better.... Things can only get worse.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

3 years, it will take awhile for this staff to recover from the Defensive vaccuum Shanny left and a while to make this offense fully functional. I really hope we have coaches that will truly coach some of these guys (to include Jay). I'm glad the new staff has the cap room and draft picks at its disposal thats why I'm saying 3 years instead of 4-5, at least we won't see 41-7 blowouts on a national stage where Shanny has the balls to tell us how close we are to winning it all.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Shanahan got them turned around in three. It could been two.

I think we can be a contender in two. Three is probably more realistic though. You're really never more than a couple years away from contention these days. The fact that we have the OLine and QB established makes it that much easier.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
We're in serious rebuilding mode. The Ferrari isn't running; the entire drive train is being overhauled and it's taking on an off-the-frame restoration. This is gonna take time, guys. Rome wasn't built in a day. In the meantime, we're looking at contention for the division cellar, I'm afraid.
What exactly are we rebuilding. The offense isn't broke. Defense - definete rebuilding mode. ST's? probably. I think we're from from serious rebuilding.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

2 years.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Rugby7
Solid Starter

2074.68 miles
Rugby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Some of you people with your doom and gloom are ridiculous. How many people thought Arizona was a Super Bowl contender not just before the season but during the season? Atlanta and Miami were in complete shambles last season and both rebuilt and made the playoffs. The situation isn't as dire as some of you think. If McD and staff can get the best out of this offense (in other words more efficiency and scoring to go along with the yardage) and field an average defense we can compete. McD lost the best QB in the league and managed very well with a nobody QB so you should have hope he can propel Cutler and this offense to the next level. The defense will be the hard part but there are a lot of upgrades available in FA and we'll need some luck in the draft (it is a fairly deep draft which helps). I think it's very possible that both our offense and defense will be better this coming season. Give these guys a chance before you write their obituary.

As far as the Super Bowl there is no way to guage that. The better question is how far is this team from competing for the Super Bowl and I think we're 2 years away from that.

Last edited by TonyR; 02-23-2009 at 06:13 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
You're enjoyin' your day
Everything's goin' your way
Then along comes

I have yet to see you make a positive post. What's that all about debbie?

Serious rebuilding mode? I don't buy. "Serious rebuilding mode," to me at least, is having no units inside the top 20. We have the second-best offense in the league. We're halfway there.

As for the poll, I have three years.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Between 2-3. I say two, but I'm an optimist. If our new front office sucks, it will be more like four, if ever.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
kappys
Ring of Famer

It will be of little avail to the

Its not like we're the Lions.

The offense is in place. Add an elite running back and that unit becomes dominant. The key to it is to keep it together.

Defensively there is obviously a lot to address - really on 3 plays IMO - DJ, Champ, Marcus Thomas. That leaves 8 to go - could definetely be done over 2 years making us ready year 3 for a real run
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

5 Years, IMO.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Now that Stale-ahan is gone....2 years until this team is back in the AFCCG.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

2-3 we should have enough talent to be a contender.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

5 plus. But it would have been no different under Shanahan. At least now I know the decks have been cleared and the rebuild is in process, instead of every year going in a different direction with a different plug and play philosophy.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Could be 1 year, could be 40.

Some things are under control ... good ownership, a nice stadium, a great fanbase to keep the seats full and the franchise in place. Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of luck.

You can draft (or sign) players of the highest caliber, but one devastating injury here or there, and boom. Or you can have off-field issues (including even death, unfortunately). Or you can have one or more key players who suddenly want to break your bank or get into huge personality conflicts.

Everyone else is in a similar boat. Some teams will spiral; some will luck out. You might have a period of time when everything is going 85% to 95% great, but you have other teams in your division or conference where things are going even better. Or you may have a year with 65% success, but you wind up in the right place at the right time vis a vis your main competition.

This is part of what makes the NFL so much fun to watch.

So, yes. The Broncos could be in the super bowl next year. The offense gets a little better (especially with healthier RBs), the defense improves from 30th to top 12 (not impossible), and our injury situation turns out better than our main opponents come December and early January - - and it's certainly possible.

But you folks already know all of this.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

In the current situation, I have no idea. There are absolutely no games to evaluate with personnel, scheme, and attitude. I have no idea what the personnel will be, so I have zero Idea what to expect from this team next year, let alone after that.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #23
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Good thread....

I'd like to see it sooner, but just like that "School House Rock" tune, "3 is a magic number"....
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHead View Post
Good thread....

I'd like to see it sooner, but just like that "School House Rock" tune, "3 is a magic number"....
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
In the current situation, I have no idea. There are absolutely no games to evaluate with personnel, scheme, and attitude. I have no idea what the personnel will be, so I have zero Idea what to expect from this team next year, let alone after that.

It's just a gut check thread. I plan on one more after the draft, and then another one in August.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote