The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER
Default OT: How do you feel about online resume builders?

So, I'm graduating in May and I have never really had someone or a program help me build a resume. Does anyone have an opinion on what can help me? I have been randomly looking around online at some resume builder websites, but I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks guys
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

dude come on man, this is a bronco fan message board, i mean really.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
DBruleU
Ring of Famer

Don't you have other people in your life that will probably give you more help than a bunch of strangers on a message board?
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Dark Helmet
Lone Star!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post

I think it's Shanny in disguise.

I don't know about the resume' builders but the templates found in Word are very useful. Another thing you should probably look into are standard interview questions that can be found by doing a Google search. They might not be the exact same questions but many companies use similar concepts and getting your mind accustomed to thinking in that fashion will be beneficial to you.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Dark Helmet
Lone Star!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post
Don't you have other people in your life that will probably give you more help than a bunch of strangers on a message board?
This is one of a 1000 other topics that don't coincide with football. However, this one is a little more useful than say...."I punched someone in the neck today."

The more people you ask the better.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
Cool, thanks for the help! Instead of making dumb comments, just don't click on the thread if you dont want to read it
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
This is one of a 1000 other topics that don't coincide with football. However, this one is a little more useful than say...."I punched someone in the neck today."
I already love this thread.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I think it's Shanny in disguise.

I don't know about the resume' builders but the templates found in Word are very useful. Another thing you should probably look into are standard interview questions that can be found by doing a Google search. They might not be the exact same questions but many companies use similar concepts and getting your mind accustomed to thinking in that fashion will be beneficial to you.
Thank you....at least someone can give an opinion w/out being a jackass. I have Mac, and they also have some templates. Thanks though
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

If you decide to use a pre-made template I would alter it. Literally tens of thousands of people use those templates and recruiters can tell when you've just used a Word template.

You can use them to design your resume, but I recommend against using a Word template.

Also, does your school have a career services office? I am sure they could help.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
If you decide to use a pre-made template I would alter it. Literally tens of thousands of people use those templates and recruiters can tell when you've just used a Word template.

You can use them to design your resume, but I recommend against using a Word template.

Also, does your school have a career services office? I am sure they could help.
My school does have a career services dept. I was going to head in there, but i just wanted to get a feel for what people thought outside of the school and my friends and family. thnx
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Hmmm - I used a template to start - but customized it my way. I also re-write my resume to fit different jobs i'm applying for.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Best thing after you give out the resume and get the interview is learn about the company. Interviewers love to hear about the interviewee knowledge of their company as it shows they want to work for them not just any company to get a paycheck. I need to be the jackass and ask if you will be applying at the Oakland Raiders front office?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Best thing after you give out the resume and get the interview is learn about the company. Interviewers love to hear about the interviewee knowledge of their company as it shows they want to work for them not just any company to get a paycheck. I need to be the jackass and ask if you will be applying at the Oakland Raiders front office?
No, im not, but thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Go to the Bookstore and drop some cash on a book with examples of successful resumes. Take good parts from all of them then tweak it to fit you. Thats another route if you are wary of online builders.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Go to your local library and get a book that shows how to write a proper resume.

No shortcuts to getting a job these days.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I used an online builder for mine, worked great.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Go to your local library and get a book that shows how to write a proper resume.

No shortcuts to getting a job these days.
I agree. And while your at it, get a book on writing a good cover letter. Yah, I know, cover letters are not all the rage that they once were because "people just don't have time to read them...."

But, consider this: If your resume happens to be one that they are looking at. And you resume has a cover letter and the other guy's doesn't, well yah, then they'll read your cover letter because they want to know a little more about you.

Sure, your supposed to put a mission statement at the top or your resume. But that is not the same as a cover letter.

Anyhoo, JMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post
Mr. Douche-bag,

Let me help you out.

See, when you take your busy day to insult someone for posting on a message board.... it's only effective if you're not posting on the SAME message board. You follow?

The fact that he's gathering the opinions of "strangers" is called polling a sample group. It's a logical, rational, scientific means for which to amass a wider array of data than just asking someone "at home."

So, let's recap:

1. You're a douche-bag.
2. He's smart, you're not smart.

Let me know if I can be of any further help, and good luck!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Mr. Douche-bag,

Let me help you out.

See, when you take your busy day to insult someone for posting on a message board.... it's only effective if you're not posting on the SAME message board. You follow?

The fact that he's gathering the opinions of "strangers" is called polling a sample group. It's a logical, rational, scientific means for which to amass a wider array of data than just asking someone "at home."

So, let's recap:

1. You're a douche-bag.

QFT
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
So, I'm graduating in May and I have never really had someone or a program help me build a resume. Does anyone have an opinion on what can help me? I have been randomly looking around online at some resume builder websites, but I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks guys
Check with your specific college (business, engineering, etc.). There are often career workshops that students can attend for a small fee. Here where I attend, there is a workshop in April that includes a resume workshop, mock interviews, and other job hunting tips. Cost is $10. Often, it's the actual employers donating their time to participate in these workshops so it serves a double purpose in that you get to meet someone who may be interviewing you 'for real' down the road.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Check with your specific college (business, engineering, etc.). There are often career workshops that students can attend for a small fee. Here where I attend, there is a workshop in April that includes a resume workshop, mock interviews, and other job hunting tips. Cost is $10. Often, it's the actual employers donating their time to participate in these workshops so it serves a double purpose in that you get to meet someone who may be interviewing you 'for real' down the road.
Yep, nice suggestion.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #22
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Mr. Douche-bag,

Let me help you out.

So, let's recap:

1. You're a douche-bag.

Great post Popps!
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Yea, actually I attended some that were free a few weeks ago. It seemed to help, but I am always worried about getting other opinions and examples. I guess I can't worry to much and just start working on narrowing it down. Thanks for the help
Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Mr. Douche-bag,

Let me help you out.

So, let's recap:

1. You're a douche-bag.

Thanks for posting that actually.......I was just trying to get some other opinions, and after being here since '05, I noticed there was some helpful opinions out there.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post

Thanks guys
Interviewers get less caught up in the particulars of resume design than we usually think they do. So, I don't think there are many incorrect templates to use so much as a few things to do... and not do.

I personally like to hit hard up top. I've never been shy about including a sort of bullet-point list of credentials and highlights right up top, and then and then following up with more traditional wording/structure.

Try to think of it as if you were the interviewer, and had to sift through a ton of resumes. You want yours to stand out as much as possible without being too experimental.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote