The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default dj says defensive players felt like "second class citizens"

muy interesante.
Quote:
You want the good news or the bad news? Because, as we all know, when it comes to the Broncos' defense, the news is never all good.

OK then, the bad news it is. The Broncos' defense wasn't one of the worst in the NFL last season. It was the worst, the very worst, and nothing but the worst.

Numbers? You want numbers? The Broncos ranked 29th in overall defense. Now for the fine print: Their offense ranked second. The three teams below Denver in defense Seattle at No. 30, Kansas City at 31 and Detroit at 32 ranked 28th, 24th and 30th in offense.

One of the reasons those teams were so inept defensively was because their offenses were almost as bad. They seldom controlled the ball and left their defenses on the field too long to be effective. The Broncos? They didn't have those excuses. All they had was a troubling lack of talent.

Things got so ugly that a culture of failure developed in the locker room. But don't take my word for it. We take you to D.J. Williams, who admitted that he and his defensive teammates felt like "second-class citizens" compared to the offense.

Now for the good news. It took a coaching change and a major upheaval in the personnel department, but the Broncos finally are making moves that were every bit as inevitable as they were overdue.

If Mike Shanahan were in charge, Bob Slowik would have returned to oversee a defense with a handful of new starters. Instead, Josh McDaniels and his staff have gutted the defensive depth chart, dumping five starters in a matter of days.

The best news of all isn't that those marginal players are gone. It's that the powers that be at Dove Valley finally have quit rationalizing and begun acknowledging the depths of the team's problems.

Not that getting rid of all those starters is the answer. The answer can only come by replacing them with better players. That won't be easy, particularly in the short run, what with the purge having cost the Broncos millions in cap hits.

Since we live in the real world in this corner of the sports section, I dialed up an NFL player agent Wednesday to get his take on the Broncos' post-purge prospects for 2009.

"In a way, I appreciate what they're doing," he said. "In the long haul, they had to get that dead weight out of there. It's probably smart. They'll have brand new guys, so you know they won't have the pressure to win next season. It's like, 'Let's get rid of this mess on our hands and upgrade. Then we can win down the road."

As opposed to next season, when the Broncos' schedule includes Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Baltimore and the Giants.

Only time will tell if McDaniels will be a successful NFL head coach. But if so, it's going to be later, not sooner.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Didn't Champ say something to the same effect?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Well, the one thing I got from that and my glass is half empty perspective is the

"we can win down the road as opposed to next season"

I don't like the idea that they're given up on the coming season.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

2 things come to mind. There's the problem of lack of talent, and then the problem of lack of leadership.

Since Al Wilson left, nobody has been able to step in and fill his void. DJ has put up some nice production but is about as opposite a leader as there could be. Unfortunately we re-upped him to a huge deal and expectations are that he will fill that void and he can't.

We need to be very smart with our money and draft picks over the coming weeks and months. The leadership issue is one that needs to be rectified ASAP if the defense is to get better.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Josh McDaniels and his staff have gutted the defensive depth chart, dumping five starters in a matter of days.

**** yea.

Mother**** yea!

Mother****in **** yea!!!!!!!!!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Broncobuddy7
\m/ >< \m/

For some of you

I hope that people don't lose their minds and ask for McDaniels head if the Broncos are a .500 team again next year. I agree... this "rebuilding" process may take some time.
Broncobuddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobuddy7 View Post
I hope that people don't lose their minds and ask for McDaniels head if the Broncos are a .500 team again next year. I agree... this "rebuilding" process may take some time.
Nobody is expecting anything next year. Even those of us that are less than enthralled with the staff and the FO recognize that no matter who was coaching the team next year, it was going to be difficult in light of the tremendous work that needed to be done on defense and the exceedingly difficult schedule.

I don't care for the regime, but they get a complete mulligan for 2009. It's unfair to expect them to do anything immediately given the challenges they are facing.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i am not expecting a super bowl run and i know there are going to be snags, all i want to see to consider next season a positive even if we end at .500, is the team get better as the season goes, and show promise for the upcoming years. if we go 6-10 next season but the majority of our losses are by 7 or less, i will consider that a good year and a positive to build upon.

now i am not saying i wouldn't mind seeing us in the playoffs again, it has been too damn long to not be caring about football in january, it is time to get back to the playoffs, but i can live one more season without playoffs as long as the team is competing and not just rolling over or getting gutted every week.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Please.

People are going to be up his ass if we're not a playoff team THIS year. It's a given. Just read some of the posts around here. He's already been deemed a failure and a cheater, today alone.

This place will be melt-down central, almost guaranteed.

That said, there's also a good contingent of people around here who understand the move into the future... and who have realistic but optimistic expectations.

We'll get our first look into the overall game plan in about a week when FA starts.

Can't wait.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
Broncobuddy7
\m/ >< \m/

For some of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Please.

People are going to be up his ass if we're not a playoff team THIS year. It's a given. Just read some of the posts around here. He's already been deemed a failure and a cheater, today alone.

This place will be melt-down central, almost guaranteed.

That said, there's also a good contingent of people around here who understand the move into the future... and who have realistic but optimistic expectations.

We'll get our first look into the overall game plan in about a week when FA starts.

Can't wait.
Me either!
Broncobuddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

2nd class citizens for a second and third rate job in 2008. WIth the schedule for 2009, going .500 would be pretty good. A new coach, new scheme and a lot of new faces will still be an uphill battle but at least we know that the top of the hill climb might be one year.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
2 things come to mind. There's the problem of lack of talent, and then the problem of lack of leadership.

Since Al Wilson left, nobody has been able to step in and fill his void. DJ has put up some nice production but is about as opposite a leader as there could be. Unfortunately we re-upped him to a huge deal and expectations are that he will fill that void and he can't.

We need to be very smart with our money and draft picks over the coming weeks and months. The leadership issue is one that needs to be rectified ASAP if the defense is to get better.
Great post.

On the OP: They shouldn't have felt like second class citizens, they should've felt even worse. Like the Denver Broncos illegal immigrants.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Nobody is expecting anything next year. Even those of us that are less than enthralled with the staff and the FO recognize that no matter who was coaching the team next year, it was going to be difficult in light of the tremendous work that needed to be done on defense and the exceedingly difficult schedule.

I don't care for the regime, but they get a complete mulligan for 2009. It's unfair to expect them to do anything immediately given the challenges they are facing.
I'm less giving. We've had schedules look rough and turn out to be pretty easy. We've had schedules look simple and turn out to be very tough (last year, for example).

Many of those teams are consistently good, but the last time we were in that same schedule rotation, Den went 13-3 and one game out of the big dance with a host of horrid offensive players.

McDaniel's and Colonel Xanders want to win people over? Win the division now.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

We had a defense ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Half the people here still wanted Shanny around after being embarrassed the last two years. If they can put up with that this staff should be easy to love.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Half the people here still wanted Shanny around after being embarrassed the last two years. If they can put up with that this staff should be easy to love.
...after they win 2 super bowls in their first 4 years. And, we do need to remember Mike Shanahan going 8-8 and being probably the most inconsistent team in the league his first year.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

I don't get all the doom and gloom here most of the time. Our offense will be back full strength behind a proven system. We have all the weapons we need on that side of the ball sans a RB and maybe not even that if Torain and Hillis are back at full strength. There should be zero drop off on that side of the ball. Our defense sucked last year. Now McD has blown up the roster on that side of the ball. Even if he adds players that are marginally better than those that were there before, we're a better team. I don't expect playoffs next year but I fully expect us to be competitive with our offense keeping us in games while the D experience some growing pains. Again, I fail to see where anything that has been done this offseason makes us a worse team than we were last year. And for all intents and purposes, the offseason has really just started.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #18
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

I am. He wasnt brought in to continue the mediocrity that Shanahan left behind. He is already purging the defense of the subpar players. Although i dont expect a SB i do expect a 8-8 or better record considering what we were at least able to do last year with that train wreck. The guy was brought in to win and improve. If you cant improve on 8-8 with a 29th ranked defense than there's a problem. Again, im not expecting SB but the offense is virtually already there aside from a decent RB. And if they are going to address some of the defense in FA than there's no reason not to expect a better season than last.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #19
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
I don't get all the doom and gloom here most of the time. Our offense will be back full strength behind a proven system. We have all the weapons we need on that side of the ball sans a RB and maybe not even that if Torain and Hillis are back at full strength. There should be zero drop off on that side of the ball. Our defense sucked last year. Now McD has blown up the roster on that side of the ball. Even if he adds players that are marginally better than those that were there before, we're a better team. I don't expect playoffs next year but I fully expect us to be competitive with our offense keeping us in games while the D experience some growing pains. Again, I fail to see where anything that has been done this offseason makes us a worse team than we were last year. And for all intents and purposes, the offseason has really just started.

Yep.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Well, the one thing I got from that and my glass is half empty perspective is the

"we can win down the road as opposed to next season"

I don't like the idea that they're given up on the coming season.
Dude. You do realize that those quotes came from a random NFL player agent and NOT a Denver Bronco player, don't you?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

Great point as always. That is why guys like Ray Lewis and Al Wilson are so important to a defense. I don't know enough about Rey Maualuga to say whether he capable of that type of role. John Gruden was very high on Rey Rey which tells me all I need to know about the guy. He would bring the attitude and intensity and perhaps grow into that vocal leader... what do you know about him?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #22
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

You want to be treated like NFL players?

Try playing like NFL players.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What is this article from?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #24
DenverBrit