The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default Gabe Watson

3-4 Nose Tackle for the Cardinals. He'll be a restricted free agent this season and we could get him for a 4th round pick (unlikely) or a 2nd round pick if the Cardinals don't put a higher tender on him which i don't believe they will. He's a perfect 3-4 NT and one of the best run stuffers in the league, i would put him right up there with Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork. He's not a great pass rusher (neither are the other guys) but he can get after the QB (had a strip-sack this season). His official weight is around 340 but i read somewhere that he's closer to 400lbs so he's THE perfect NT. McDaniels had a guy like that in NE, i'm sure he would love to have him in Denver as well to set the tone for our run defense.

There's no way you can get a guy like that in the draft this year. BJ Raji is the closest thing to him but he's not that good against the run, probably a better pass rusher though. And he's a gamble. Why spend a top 10 or top 15 pick on a guy like that when you can get Watson for a mid-late 2nd round pick.

BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I think it'll depend on the tender. If he's tendered very high, we may be better off going with Grady Jackson and/or Ronald Fields.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I have watched alot of cards games this year and I would love Watson if we could get him.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Grady Jackson's barely 300, isn't he? And he's really old. I'd much rather have Watson.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

They're similar quality players, but UFA Grady Jackson is a lot older than RFA Gabe Watson, so he won't be demanding a long contract like Gabe will.

Plus if we do draft two NTs like I'm hoping (Raji or Brace and then Dorrell later), we'll need a veteran stop-gap for only a couple years, making the much older Grady Jackson preferable to Gabe Watson. Plus no compensation is required for UFA Grady. Jackson is preferable to Gabe in almost every way.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Grady Jackson's barely 300, isn't he? And he's really old. I'd much rather have Watson.
Read my post after yours ... yes, Grady is much older. But wouldn't you rather draft Ron Brace and Dorrell Scott, and thus have home grown, less expensive players ... to be mentored by solid older guy like Grady for a couple years?

Couple of corrections: BOTH Grady and Gabe are UFAs, both are 340-345 pounds, and the older Grady Jackson is actually ranked markedly higher than Gabe Watson on all the FA value lists.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

And if we can't draft Ron Brace or Dorrell Scott?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
And if we can't draft Ron Brace or Dorrell Scott?
I dunno, those are just 2nd and 4th round guys - Brace and Scott - that seems doable for an important position that we have NOBODY in right now. Plus, I'm coming from the opinion we should use all 8 draft picks on defense. Maybe one pick on a high-value mid-round C/G, but that's it.

Our current roster is the most unbalanced offense-to-defense talent distribution I have ever seen in my life.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Buff I agree that we should use most of our picks on D but I do believe that we could afford to grab a C and a RB in this draft I love Rashard Jennings out of liberty and he should be there in the middle rounds. as far as a C goes I like Unger over Mack or Woods but any of them would be nice.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
Buff I agree that we should use most of our picks on D but I do believe that we could afford to grab a C and a RB in this draft I love Rashard Jennings out of liberty and he should be there in the middle rounds. as far as a C goes I like Unger over Mack or Woods but any of them would be nice.
Look at it this way:

On Offense: We have 10 + 4 (starters and part-time players) set in stone now
On Defense: We have 6 guys total, three of whom were rookies. We could literally waive every single other defensive player.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
NFL Draft Scout has Rashard Jennings as a 2nd round pick now.

I doubt he's available in the 3rd round.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Keep an eye on Ron Fields from SF, an up-and coming NT who played under Nolan. He may be cheaper than both Watson and Jackson although I'd love to land 2 of the 3 and then draft a NT to develop.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Our current roster is the most unbalanced offense-to-defense talent distribution I have ever seen in my life.
That's why we have a new staff in town.

I think this is a decent idea (Watson)... but I have a feeling Arizona would match any offer. I can't imagine they let him get away.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Quote:
Read my post after yours ... yes, Grady is much older. But wouldn't you rather draft Ron Brace and Dorrell Scott, and thus have home grown, less expensive players ... to be mentored by solid older guy like Grady for a couple years?

Couple of corrections: BOTH Grady and Gabe are UFAs, both are 340-345 pounds, and the older Grady Jackson is actually ranked markedly higher than Gabe Watson on all the FA value lists.
Jackson? Ranked higher?
Thats like having Ramsey ranked higher than Cutler.

And again, Watson is NOT an UFA. He's a RFA.
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

He not going anywhere. Denver will not give up draft choices for a guy that has so-so rep for working hard.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
3-4 Nose Tackle for the Cardinals. He'll be a restricted free agent this season and we could get him for a 4th round pick (unlikely) or a 2nd round pick if the Cardinals don't put a higher tender on him which i don't believe they will. He's a perfect 3-4 NT and one of the best run stuffers in the league, i would put him right up there with Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork. He's not a great pass rusher (neither are the other guys) but he can get after the QB (had a strip-sack this season). His official weight is around 340 but i read somewhere that he's closer to 400lbs so he's THE perfect NT. McDaniels had a guy like that in NE, i'm sure he would love to have him in Denver as well to set the tone for our run defense.

There's no way you can get a guy like that in the draft this year. BJ Raji is the closest thing to him but he's not that good against the run, probably a better pass rusher though. And he's a gamble. Why spend a top 10 or top 15 pick on a guy like that when you can get Watson for a mid-late 2nd round pick.
well if watson is as good as you say he is then i think he'd be worth even a 2nd round pick...

ron brace is projected to go in the 2nd round but if watson an already proven young guy then lets get him...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
Jackson? Ranked higher?
Thats like having Ramsey ranked higher than Cutler.

And again, Watson is NOT an UFA. He's a RFA.
Hate to break it to ya, Skippy, but you're wrong on both counts.

According to Scout.com, Grady is a 3-star UFA, and Gabe is a 2-star UFA: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...3&rc=16&pid=22

Now ... who were you laughing at, and what was it you said about Ramsey over Cutler?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Bronco Yoda

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

According to Scout.com, Grady is a 3-star UFA, and Gabe is a 2-star UFA: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...3&rc=16&pid=22

Now ... who were you laughing at, and what was it you said about Ramsey over Cutler?
Gabe Watson is a RFA....he has only been in the league 3 years.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:

Walter Football Says the opposite

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2009DT.php
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I thought everyone said we were getting Peppers and or Haynesworth?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Okay, my bad (Scout.com's bad actually), Gabe Watson is an RFA. Must be a misprint there.

Grady Jackson is uniformly rated a better player than Gabe Watson, though, across the board.

BabyTO .... just because a guy went to a Super Bowl doesn't mean he's automatically more valuable in free agency. Just ask Al Davis, who signed Cowboys CB Larry Brown to (yet another) dumass huge Raider free agent contract after Brown had 2 picks in a Super Bowl. Brown proceeded to play just 12 games in two years for Oakland, and was then waived out of the league. DOn't mean to infer Watson will be a bustout in free agency, but thereis a lesson there. And Grady Jackson is a better player.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 02-22-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Okay, my bad (Scout.com's bad actually), Gabe Watson is an RFA. Must be a misprint there.

Grady Jackson is uniformly rated a better player than Gabe Watson, though, across the board.

BabyTO .... just because a guy went to a Super Bowl doesn't mean he's automatically more valuable in free agency. Just ask Al Davis, who signed Cowboys CB Larry Brown to (yet another) dumass huge Raider free agent contract after Brown had 2 picks in a Super Bowl. Brown proceeded to play just 12 games in two years for Oakland, and was then waived out of the league. DOn't mean to infer Watson will be a bustout in free agency, but thereis a lesson there. And Grady Jackson is a better player.
Grady Jackson is decent, but he is also old as hell. Not to mention he has had trouble staying healthy the last few years...he's not more than a rotational guy.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Grady Jackson is decent, but he is also old as hell. Not to mention he has had trouble staying healthy the last few years...
Trouble staying healthy? He missed only one game in the last four seasons.

Quote:
he's not more than a rotational guy.
Then what does that make Gabe Watson?

My opinion is we should draft two NTs: Raji or Brace, plus Dorrell Scott. Therefore, we need Grady for just a couyple years. He can end his career here.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Trouble staying healthy? He missed only one game in the last four seasons.

Then what does that make Gabe Watson?

My opinion is we should draft two NTs: Raji or Brace, plus Dorrell Scott. Therefore, we need Grady for just a couyple years. He can end his career here.
Watson is younger and has more potential
I think Watson is better, but even if you think Grady is better its not like Grady is a stud

If we get Watson, then we dont need to draft 2 NTs as he could act as a draftee since he is so young
We are not getting Raji, but Brace would be fine I guess
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote