The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default Denver Interested in Ronald Bartell and Bryant McFadden

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11758159

Shopping

For all their needs, the Broncos have made cornerback a top priority.

According to NFL sources, the Broncos will be interested in St. Louis' Ronald Bartell and Pittsburgh's Bryant McFadden once the free-agent market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST Thursday.

The Broncos need a right cornerback after releasing two-year starter Dre Bly last week.

Bartell, who turns 27 today, and McFadden, 27, are younger alternatives to Bly, who turns 32 in May. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Bartell, and McFadden (6-0, 190), who played some safety at Florida State, are also large by cornerback standards.

Bartell also ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash as he came out of Howard University. Both Bartell and McFadden came out of the cornerback-deep 2005 NFL draft, when the Broncos selected Darrent Williams in the second round and Karl Paymah and Domonique Foxworth in the third.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Both guys would be solid additions. Playing across from Champ, you can't have an ego as you're going to get beat - a lot. The key is having a short memory and capitalizing on the chances that Ed Donatell's aggressive man coverage lets you.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i am down with bringing either of them. although i would prefer Bartell.

and it is a wise investment in my eyes. more than likely Nolan is going to instill an agressive defense that could be capable of making QB's throw ill-advised passes.

i am not saying the defense will be great because with as many new starters as we are going to need there is no way we could be a great defense immediately, but under the correct circumstances we could see a defense the is agressive and makes plays, while going through growing pains.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

Bartell please.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

I'm fine with bringing any of those two in, but you still have to get guys that can rush the passer. If not than getting these DBs mean absolutley nothing.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Please god, get some big physical CB's so we can start playing some MAN coverage with Champ Bailey.

Why in the world do you trade for the most explosive man to man coverage CB in the game only to zone him out of the defense and make his skillset irrelevant?
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Bartell--by far. PIT plays ZONE behind their blitzes--McFadden has had the luxury of playing behind a fierce pass rush and with safety help to boot--neither of which he is likely to get from our defense.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Gimme McFadden. Has improved each year in the league and there is a lot to be said for playing for a winner...in the same system we plan to run. He will bring a tough, winning mentality.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I'll take the guy who performed well on the St. Louis Rams (who had as bad a defense as us) over the guy who did pretty good on the top defense in the NFL.

I'll also take the guy who is taller, faster, and younger.

Bartell please!
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

McFadden is terrible. I watch a lot of Steeler games. He and Ike Taylor are mediocre at best. Give me Bartell please.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Haven't seen the Rams play too much, don't have a feeling one way or another, but not sure how I feel about another dome DB. Kinda got burned on the last one we brought in and there seems to be a little to the theory...especially if they have to play opposite Champ.
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Bartell would be a much better choice than McFadden

He really was dominant at times, I have no idea why the Rams are letting him test the market.
Bartell was average at best his first few years in the league and just blew up last year.

He has the potential to be a pro bolwer
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Bartell please... i was in st. louis when they played the niners and he straight up dominated at times, i think he even got 2 picks that game if i remember right
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Looks like this regime is doing the same as the last regime.

Starting with the CB position and working front from there.

I was really hoping MickyD would target the Dline and win games in the trenches rather than cut Bly and have to scramble around looking for trash the old regime passed on in 2005 at CB.

Please start signing some Dline (lots of Dline) LB's that have experience in 3-4, and safety's rather than screwing around with a position that is wortless if there is no pressure being applied by front 7!

New boss, same as the old boss.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

I was really hoping MickyD would target the Dline and win games in the trenches rather than cut Bly and have to scramble around looking for trash the old regime passed on in 2005 at CB.

Please start signing some Dline (lots of Dline) LB's that have experience in 3-4, and safety's rather than screwing around with a position that is wortless if there is no pressure being applied by front 7!

Oh please. It's a report on who they might be interested in. But somehow you read "Broncos looking only at secondary players" Everything we've done and what the new regime has said points towards getting good Font 7 players.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:

I think it is premature to say that
We havent signed anyone yet
If we sign corners and DONT bring in linemen, then you have a point

But I think McDaniels and Nolan know the importance of the trenches, and to build front to back

Just because we may be interested in Bartell or McFadden doesnt mean we are less interested in linemen and backers
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Oh please. It's a report on who they might be interested in. But somehow you read "Broncos looking only at secondary players" Everything we've done and what the new regime has said points towards getting good Font 7 players.
Who have they named at Dline or LB or even Safety? They name CB trash they want to pull a shanny on and recycle but I haven't Heard any other names.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
Word.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Who have they named at Dline or LB or even Safety? They name CB trash they want to pull a shanny on and recycle but I haven't Heard any other names.
"In addition, they mentioned the names of Patriots S James Sanders, DE Mike Wright and DE Kenny Smith; Bears S Mike Brown; Buccaneers S Jermaine Phillips; Jets DE C.J. Mosley; Falcons NT Grady Jackson; and Cardinals NT Gabe Watson as guys the Broncos may have interest in."

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77284
Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I think reporters give names just to give fans something to talk about during the offseason. I would feel much better about my teams front office if they didn't leak our offseason plans to people.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
"In addition, they mentioned the names of Patriots S James Sanders
Can't see Josh picking off a Patriot in free agency, not yet anyway. He and Belichick get along very well, and personally I think loyalty mitigates a hands-off policy, this year anyway. There's plenty of other guys out there.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

If the Pats are letting him go, he's game.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Can't see Josh picking off a Patriot in free agency, not yet anyway. He and Belichick get along very well, and personally I think loyalty mitigates a hands-off policy, this year anyway. There's plenty of other guys out there.
See thats one thing that bothers me with Mcdaniels. He said he wouldnt take any coaching personnel from the Patriots because of his respect for Belichick. I say screw Belichick your loyalty is now with the Broncos and you do anything that will make us better even if it means raiding your old team.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
"In addition, they mentioned the names of Patriots S James Sanders, DE Mike Wright and DE Kenny Smith; Bears S Mike Brown; Buccaneers S Jermaine Phillips; Jets DE C.J. Mosley; Falcons NT Grady Jackson; and Cardinals NT Gabe Watson as guys the Broncos may have interest in."

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77284
Ok so I am wrong. Still Shanny kept bringing CB's the last 2-3 years when we had trouble with front 7,

None of these FA's are big time game Changers other than Brown, maybe Watson.

It pisses me off that all 3 phases of the D need help and we are still talking about CB.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
so you don't think Kudes and Shanny got along then?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote