The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn
Default Raven's safety will be FA

Safety Jim Leonhard made a name for himself with an outstanding playoff performance, but that might not be enough to keep him in Baltimore.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome indicated Leonhard could be headed elsewhere this offseason.

“He has to look at if he comes back, he’s competing for a starting job. If he goes to one of these 31 other teams, then he will probably go in and be a starter and everyone wants to play,” said Newsome.

“I understand Jimmy probably wants to go somewhere else.”

The free agent to be was a revelation during his fourth season. He started 13 games and established career highs with 69 tackles and six passes defensed.

In the postseason, Leonhard was at his best, putting up spectacular numbers. He had 16 tackles, one interception, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a 0.5 sack in three playoff games.

He was also a valuable punt returner and special teams performer

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/21/news...ely-moving-on/
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i think it was pretty obvious that with the Ravens trying to give Suggs and RayRay big money that this guy was going to get a chance to go elsewhere...

i don't want him here if he thinks he deserves top safety money...he may or may not be a product of the great system he played under...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

He might be one of the only good FA available, I hope the team has a look at him.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

This guy is a gamer and should be brought in. Obviously we don't want to give him Al Davis money but we should try to get him.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Broncos can find help at safety in FA, and Linebacker in the draft. DE/DT's will be harder to come by. Who knows maybe Crowder has some upside with the new regime.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

the also have Landry as a restricted FA. NE often made offers to restricted FA if they thought the player was worth it. I like Landry a lot. Anyone know what we would have to give up if we signed Landry and Ravens declined to match?

I know Landry hasn't played a lot yet but he has all the tools and seems athletic to me.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
JCsuperstar
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I though landry had hurt his neck last year and that was why he wasn't playing
JCsuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I loved watching this guy play. They picked him up off the streets too. Rex Ryan said he is the fastest player ever to grasp his defense. Took him 3 days. I bet the Jets make a run.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
the also have Landry as a restricted FA. NE often made offers to restricted FA if they thought the player was worth it. I like Landry a lot. Anyone know what we would have to give up if we signed Landry and Ravens declined to match?

I know Landry hasn't played a lot yet but he has all the tools and seems athletic to me.
Landry is the S I would want out of Balt unless Ed Reed is available. Landry is an RFA but if it could be done I would throw a poision pill Balt's way.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
DB_champ24
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I'd love him but I think the Jets have the best shot at him.
DB_champ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

I believe Landry was given a 3rd round tenure by BALT. I f i remember correctly.
Leonhard is 5' 8" and looked good because of all the others around him. He isnt bad, but not worth it to DEN considering they have massive holes to fill.
He is however, a very solid return man.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_champ24 View Post
I'd love him but I think the Jets have the best shot at him.
He is from Wisconsin...hopefully geography and more money makes it worth his while to come to Denver
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
He is from Wisconsin...hopefully geography and more money makes it worth his while to come to Denver
have you looked a map lately?? Wisconsin and Denver aren't very close
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

No but I sure as hell would want to move to Denver if I lived in Wisconsin.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
have you looked a map lately?? Wisconsin and Denver aren't very close
bah you're right, I'd still rather be in Denver than NYC though
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Leonhard is a very smart player and is pretty athletic, but he'd be wise to move to a team with a solid defense already established. I think us Denver fans would love the way he plays, he's a hard worker, but like many here I just don't think he's as good when he's the "star".
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Why didn't you just name the thread "Jim Leonhard is a FA"? Probably because you wanted everybody to think it was Ed Reed and to come in here and see. You're not sly at all dude.

But right now I have to say Jim Leonhard is probably better then anybody we have playing safety, which isn't saying much.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #18
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

not a fan of leanord. hes light years better than anything we had last season (well even high school safeties are) but im not a big fan of his ball skills. yea 6 passes defended but only 1 pick in the reg season. Landry is the safety i want as well. hes got ball skills and thats what we need at safety. freaking interceptions. Last time Denver had a safety with ball skills was Tyrone Braxton. (Atwater was a great in the box/blitzer type but not the greatest cover guy as we all know)
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

What about Ed Reeeeeeeeed?!!!!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
not a fan of leanord. hes light years better than anything we had last season (well even high school safeties are) but im not a big fan of his ball skills. yea 6 passes defended but only 1 pick in the reg season. Landry is the safety i want as well. hes got ball skills and thats what we need at safety. freaking interceptions. Last time Denver had a safety with ball skills was Tyrone Braxton. (Atwater was a great in the box/blitzer type but not the greatest cover guy as we all know)
Yet it was Atwater who knocked the Farve pass down on the final play of Superbowl 32 to secure the win. He was good enough in coverage when he had to be.

EDIT:

Doh, strike that. It was a LB, I think Atwater was out cold on the side line at that point...........lol.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yet it was Atwater who knocked the Farve pass down on the final play of Superbowl 32 to secure the win. He was good enough in coverage when he had to be.

EDIT:

Doh, strike that. It was a LB, I think Atwater was out cold on the side line at that point...........lol.
Mobley knocked down Favre's final pass which was intended for TE Chmura. Atwater and I think Tyrone Braxton knocked each other out on the previous play
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i would be all for bringing in Leonhard as long as he doesn't think he is deserving of Ed Reed or Bob Sanders money.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #23
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

I'd like to see us give him a chance with some sort of incentive laden deal, although I'm sure incentive laden deals probably aren't all that enticing to free agents.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I'd be weary, many Ravens defenders through the years have left and not panned out elsewhere. One could even argue Adalius Thomas has been a bit of a disappointment in New England based on what they paid for him. Ed Hartwell, Will Demps, Marques Douglas and Duane Starks are all guys that looked much better in Baltimore's system than the new teams they joined.

Leonard looks like a guy with some good upside, but I would rather have some of the other safeties on the market like Sanders, Phillips, Bell, Jones, Hill or Brown.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #25
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post

EDIT:

may i remind you steve dropped a gimme INT in SB 32 which would have probably made him MVP of that game.

like i said we all know his forte wasnt intercepting passes. I want a safety that gets 4+ picks a season. we havent had a safety like that since Tyrone. (though i do remember Nick Fergeson intercepting a number of passes in 2005)
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote