The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Herock questions Xanders abilities.

Florio defending the Broncos?? Who'd have thunk it.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
Quote:
Every once in a while, former NFL executive Ken Herock reminds us why he’s a former NFL personnel executive.

In 2006, Herock sounded off on the perceived personality problems of Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, even though Herock had been hired by Holmes to help him prepare for pre-draft interviews.

Saying that Holmes was “ready to explode” (and not in a good way), Herock offered up this unflattering portrait of the eventual Super Bowl XLIII MVP after Holmes was arrested twice in 25 days: “I had an impression of the kid, where he was from, such a tough area, but soon as he told me he had three kids I knew it was going to be a problem. He was dirt poor, all of a sudden he’s got a little money, you get a little rambunctious.

“But I would have never thought it would happen now. I thought he might explode in year two or three. Add it up — no money, poor family background, three kids already — something’s going to happen.”

This time around, Herock has questioned the abilities of 37-year-old Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders, whom Herock hired in Atlanta way back in 1994.

“Brian’s never scouted on the road,” Herock told Jeff Legwold of the Rocky Mountain News, “he doesn’t have those experiences of going on the road, being at the practices, getting in there and getting to know guys. That’s his challenge. He knows the cap, he understands the cap and he knows the technology that’s used now to get the job done. His big thing will be to make the call on whether a guy can play or not and that now he has to know it all.”

As a result, Herock thinks there’s a chance that Xanders will fail.

“I like Brian, he’s a bright young man,” Herock said. ”If he makes the calls, gets the players, he’ll be a success; if he doesn’t, he won’t be a general manager.”

Look, Herock is entitled to his opinions. But what purpose does he serve by knocking the guy before he even gets started?

One of the challenges for any executive in any industry is to understand the limits of your expertise, and to surround yourself with folks who possess a healthy dose of the skills that you don’t. Based on everything we’ve heard, we think Xanders will be just fine in that role.

Unless he drafts the next Brett Favre. And then trades him. (http://www2.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=358097)
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Longtime NFL personnel executive Ken Herock hired Brian Xanders in Atlanta in 1994. So Herock speaks from experience when he says the Broncos' new general manager has some significant challenges awaiting him in his new role.
"He had a good football background, played at Florida State, knew the game," Herock said Thursday. "I always thought he was a guy who was very impressive doing what he was doing. But I would say he needs to surround himself with some good personnel people because it's not something he has done before.
"He has never been in the situation where he listened to all of the information and then had to make the decision. And you don't know how somebody is going to be able to do that until they do it."
Herock, who worked with the Raiders, Packers and Falcons in his long career and now operates a consulting business for players headed to the scouting combine, said he hired Xanders to help the Falcons monitor the salary cap.
Xanders, 37, was appointed the Broncos' general manager a week ago after the team fired former executive vice president of football operations Jim Goodman and assistant general manager Jeff Goodman.
"Originally, we brought him in to work on the cap, No. 1, to keep track of some things, just a beginning for him to get involved," Herock said. "And I thought enough of him when I left Green Bay, I was interviewing for a job with the Washington Redskins, and I contacted him, but I didn't get the job, but I would have had him in scouting in some fashion.
"But Brian's never scouted on the road, he doesn't have those experiences of going on the road, being at the practices, getting in there and getting to know guys. That's his challenge. He knows the cap, he understands the cap and he knows the technology that's used now to get the job done. His big thing will be to make the call on whether a guy can play or not and that now he has to know it all.
"He has to be on target, and he's got to know everything, free agency, the draft, the top player in Canada, what you're going to do with the developmental squad, all of it. You have to know what the hell is going on and just being astute, just knowing technology can't save you. You have to find players, it's that simple.
"But I like Brian, he's a bright young man. If he makes the calls, gets the players, he'll be a success; if he doesn't, he won't be a general manager."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...os-gm-xanders/
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Honestly I question Xanders

I still dont know what happened, if he was promoted because Jeff got upset or what
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

So basically, if Xanders does well, he will be a good GM, and if he does poorly, he will be a bad GM. Check.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

what worries me is they have openly discussed being undermaned in terms of scouts ect..you have to wonder why bowlen waited so long to change the gM duties..we prob couldve goten pioli w/mcd
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Xanders is the Business administration guy. McDaniels is going to decide or personal within the limits of the business working with Xanders. Everything I have read points to this.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 02-20-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
what worries me is they have openly discussed being undermaned in terms of scouts ect..you have to wonder why bowlen waited so long to change the gM duties..we prob couldve goten pioli w/mcd
I think we have the first 4-5 rounds covered, even if it were just Mcd doing the choosing. Rounds 5-7 + UDFA's really, really benefit from a broad scouting "net."

I see no real reason to freak out yet. Why don't we watch this draft happen before we declare the new staff incompetent. Seriously, we have really sucked on defensive picks, and done well on offense. Maybe we can draft in a little more balanced fashion?

I never, ever heard the Shanahan regime declare what types of players they were looking for. When you hear McD and X, they keep using the same words - "instinctive football players" who "play well under pressure." I really like the attitude, and am excited to see their picks.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I'm worried that Broncos don't have a good front office. It seems just like how they have been recently with players. The sudden trade of Warren, bringing players in, letting them go, bringing them back etc. Going after all the Browns. Saying Goodmans to be credited for the recent draft success then firing them a few days before combine.

It all seems to me like an Owner and a team without a great plan on what type of team they want to be. I hope I'm wrong but the more i think about the less I like the Broncos chances.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm worried that Broncos don't have a good front office. It seems just like how they have been recently with players. The sudden trade of Warren, bringing players in, letting them go, bringing them back etc. Going after all the Browns. Saying Goodmans to be credited for the recent draft success then firing them a few days before combine.

It all seems to me like an Owner and a team without a great plan on what type of team they want to be. I hope I'm wrong but the more i think about the less I like the Broncos chances.
Everyone involved in all the decisions you just mentioned is gone.

It's a clean slate, and all we've done is start bringing the team back towards accountability and fiscal responsibility. The changes so far are absolutely great for the organization.

How we approach the draft and FA is a whole new ball game, and we'll be seeing that for the first time next week when FA opens.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Everyone involved in all the decisions you just mentioned is gone.

It's a clean slate, and all we've done is start bringing the team back towards accountability and fiscal responsibility. The changes so far are absolutely great for the organization.

How we approach the draft and FA is a whole new ball game, and we'll be seeing that for the first time next week when FA opens.
IMO the fact we fire the Goodmans sort of late, like Bowlen wasn't sure about it, points to the fact Broncos still searching for an identity.

When they go 6-10 next yr you will understand better what all this turmoil has meant to the club. The fact is I have never seen a teams defense as devoid of talent as the Broncos are right now. We will have to wait for a winning in Denver for a couple yrs I'm afraid. Honestly predicting playoffs in 2 yr would be optimistic.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I fully expect a Manager or Director of College Scouting to be hired. If Xanders is a good leader he will bring in someone to compliment his weakness. So hopefully thats the case. Or maybe its not a weakness and this guy has sour grapes.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Xanders is the Business administration guy. McDaniels is going to decide or personal within the limits of the business working with Xanders. Everything I have read points to this.

I would agree with this. From all the reading, it appears that Xanders is going to be a pencil pusher like Sundquist was, and Coach McDaniels will be the one making all the calls.

At the end of the day, this is the way a Bowlen operation runs: the coach calls the shots. I don't think that's changing here. I think Bowlen might be more inclined to pull in the reigns this time around though.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Xanders will be fine. that is all i have to say in this matter
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

i really scared, i don't think anyone can evaluate talent besides shanahan and goodmans. weird how the other franchises in the nfl draft better defense than us, we are sooo gonna miss the mastermind and the father/son love affair!

i am so scared for our team!
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

But I would say he needs to surround himself with some good personnel people because it's not something he has done before.
"He has never been in the situation where he listened to all of the information and then had to make the decision. And you don't know how somebody is going to be able to do that until they do it."

I'd suspect he will.

Let's not forget he's already got guys like Nolan on staff with years of player analysis experience.

A great offense is in place. Our prior staff did such a horrible job at assembling a defense... EIGHT of the eleven starters have to be replaced.
Basically, the new staff has that as their benchmark. Personally, I'm optimistic.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

He's questioning his experience with personnel.
As he hasn't been involved in personnel decisions before, how can anyone judge his ability?
As other posters have noted, his role will be cap/contractual work.
McKid, Nolan and the scouting staff will make the calls on FAs and draft picks.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote