The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default Some "poor" news (from Denver Radio)

As I suspected the Broncos are in trouble financially. But the problem is much worse than people realize. The Broncos are being very quiet about the situation but the players were pretty open about it. The talk? The Denver Broncos would have struggled to sell out a home playoff game! Hard to believe I know. But, they quote Casey Weigman as saying several of the players talked about it often in the locker room. It was bad enough that Channel 4 was brought up and discussed selling the final 3,000 tickets to prevent a blackout. The DENVER BRONCOS and BLACKOUT in the same sentence... that can't be right... can it? I've heard some unofficial numbers and discussed it with a few people on the Mane, but the season ticket wait list... well, lets just say it is not nearly as long as it was just four years ago. I know for a fact that a friend of mine that put in for his in 2004 (a year before me) was contacted for his 4 seats. There was an 11-13 year wait list when I put in for mine in 2005... so that should give you an idea of how many people aren't willing to buy tix right now. Also on the radio today they discussed the number of season ticket holders that did not purchase the playoff tickets. If the Broncos would have hosted the Colts, Denver would have been in trouble in terms of a sell out for the first time since I've been a fan! I've heard as many as 40% of season ticket holders returned playoff tickets to the Denver Broncos last year. They actually printed the tickets though nobody received a physical ticket. 60% of the season ticket holders paid the retention fee/partial payment for the playoff tickets. That is about 40,000 seats. The Broncos are purging salary right now and there are still many that feel they will not use that available cap space. Not b/c the Broncos don't want marquee talent, but b/c they do not have the cash to pay out these hefty frontloaded contracts that are going around right now. The Denver Broncos may very well be thankful that guys like Suggs, Atogwe, and Peppers were tagged... it gives them a good excuse to not pursue them now.

There was a caller that brought up an excellent point as well. When discussing the Bronco fans, the caller suggested that WE fans have become spoiled. He mentioned that a long drought of winning seasons could be the only thing to bring the spirit back to Denver. Personally, the NFL has become such a big business that we may never get that back. Most diehard fans will never be able to afford season tickets again and the invention of "perfect" television will only add to the decreasing fanaticism in Denver. Short of half price tickets, I may not go to another game at Invesco for quite some time. Maybe a long drought of winning seasons will do the trick and snap me and all of us diehards back to being real fans!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Pessst, there is a depression on and believe it or not the Broncos football team will be affected.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the NFL is fueling the depression by firing a ton of their employees. yea, firing 15 employees, many likely with families, making 50k a year makes sense, as opposed to not paying a single player as much cash.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Pessst, there is a depression on and believe it or not the Broncos football team will be affected.
Man, I can't get anything past you... quick one this Baja fella is!!!

NO SHIAT SHERLOCK! Bottom line, don't expect any big names this offseason and I still contend we're going flashy in the first round of the draft. Wells, Moreno, Maualuga.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

wow. Blackout and Denver doesn't go together thats for sure.

TV becoming so life like and affordable is really going to mess with Owners and selling seats for sure.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Man, I can't get anything past you... quick one this Baja fella is!!!

NO SHIAT SHERLOCK! Bottom line, don't expect any big names this offseason and I still contend we're going flashy in the first round of the draft. Wells, Moreno, Maualuga.
All teams will be spending much less not just the Broncos the tagged guys are the lucky ones the FA offers will be skinny this season.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
yerner
Ring of Famer

So Bowlen is switching from Johnnie Walker Blue to Green? Hard times, hard times.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

It's all nonsense ... nobody knows how playoff tickets will sell until they actually go on sale. Maybe the season ticket holders were slow in exercising their options to buy as the reg season wound down, but that might just mean they wanted to hold on to their cash until they were sure they had to spend it.

Who cares what Casey Weigmann was talking about in the lockerroom.

I firmly believe there little truth to the financial woes story ... but I guess we'll find out soon after free agency opens next Friday.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
So Bowlen is switching from Johnnie Walker Blue to Green? Hard times, hard times.
I doubt things have progressed that far for him!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

my family has 8 season tickets in total. we were only going to purchase half of the playoff tickets had the Broncos hosted a playoff game.
BigPlayShay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
cutler_to_marshall
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
wow. Blackout and Denver doesn't go together thats for sure.

TV becoming so life like and affordable is really going to mess with Owners and selling seats for sure.
ahhh but nothing can beat stomping your feet, clapping your hands, and feeling that rocky mountain thunder !
cutler_to_marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

they might get crazy and lower some prices because some money is always better then no money.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

This was all pure speculation by the yutzes on the radio (I listened to part of it). A playoff game would have easily sold out. This town is starving for postseason football.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
This was all pure speculation by the yutzes on the radio (I listened to part of it). A playoff game would have easily sold out. This town is starving for postseason football.
Word.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Lowering the prices seems smart to us but not to Bowlen. He still has bills to pay and Im sure he would love to fill the stadium if he could. Reading this was a little depressing knowing that no matter how bad the economy is we still have our Broncos. If this in fact true, this sucks. I still can't understand how the Faiders deal contracts like they do each year. It doesn't make sense. The Broncos better do some dealing this year, or its gonna be another tough season to watch, with a half filled stadium.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
coachmastermind
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
They actually printed the tickets though nobody received a physical ticket.

Really? I have my physical tickets still sitting on my desk.
coachmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The owners are to blame for this whole mess. Years and years ago we knew if they kept paying these players too much money, ticket prices would soar. Well, they did. They cut off much of their fan base that went to games. So owners wanted new stadiums so they could get box seats and sell those to corporations to make up for some of that. Okay, I can live with that. But the normal seat pricing kept going up and up and up and so did the concession items. I mean, a decent seat for a couple, 2 hotdogs, a few beers and parking, your out $250.00. And that's for the person going once. You want to go to a few games per year, like 3 or 4, you're out a grand.

It's not just recession. It's owners who jack up prices to keep their profit line high while having to pay players insane amounts.

If the NFL wants to get their stadiums full again, they're gonna have to stop raising prices and players are gonna have to start taking cuts as well.

I think strike will be unavoidable on the next negotiations. Owners won't and CAN'T give players more. And the greedy MF players will cry and strike. **** them. Get the replacements in here then. Play some MF football. Let the rich cats who play a game for a living making millions and millions sit at home losing money.

Last edited by ZONA; 02-19-2009 at 10:51 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It's plausible. Fear of losing money, season ticket holders might have been enough to push Bowlen to fire Shanahan if the crowds were bored with him.

Then again his whole speech about being measured by Championships and being determined to get more contradicts this thinking.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmastermind View Post
Really? I have my physical tickets still sitting on my desk.
I received mine.

I threw it on my stack of printed playoff tickets for games that were never played.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
It's plausible. Fear of losing money, season ticket holders might have been enough to push Bowlen to fire Shanahan if the crowds were bored with him.

Then again his whole speech about being measured by Championships and being determined to get more contradicts this thinking.
Talk is cheap.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

there is a depression going on, and sadly we haven't been any good for a decade except for the occasional season mixed in the past decade

also factor in that a lot of the true die hard fans who would gladly go to every game regardless of the team's record, can't go as much because we can't afford the almost 100 a ticket, plus 25 or more to park, to go to a game. also there are a lot of bandwagon fans that won't pay that much even if they had it to see a team get beat.

however, considering it has been 3 years now since we have been to the playoffs, there is no chance in hell that stadium would not have sold out had we made the playoffs.

i have talked about putting my name on the list for season tickets for years, and now that i am capable of doing it, i don't have the money required if by some fluke chance i get picked for them.

in Denver there will always be fans in the stands, but, there aren't going to be as many people trying to get there hands on season tickets until the economy is straightened out, and in some people's minds until the team improves.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Bottom line, we're still under a CBA, Bowlen still has to have approx $110m in salaries counting against the 2009 cap.

If he's gonna be as tight as a ducks's ass this offseason then why restructure a deal like DJ's, just doesn't make sense. Why create more cap room in this financial year if you're trying to keep cap $$$ spending to a minimum

Broncos currently have approx $91m counting in contracts for 2009.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #23
ol number 7
The Champ

Flair for Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Craig Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Bottom line, we're still under a CBA, Bowlen still has to have approx $110m in salaries counting against the 2009 cap.

If he's gonna be as tight as a ducks's ass this offseason then why restructure a deal like DJ's, just doesn't make sense. Why create more cap room in this financial year if you're trying to keep cap $$$ spending to a minimum

Broncos currently have approx $91m counting in contracts for 2009.
I live in St. Louis . You want to see empty seats and begging someone to step up and buy the remaining tickets every week to lift the blackout.
They won't get a dime outta me until the Broncos are in that nasty warehouse of a Doom we have. Even the mice moved to the Convention Center for better accommodations. They couldn't take all the booing.
ol number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #24
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

No one wanted to watch our defense from last year embarrass themselves further. They clearly weren't a play-off team despite the folks here who wanted somehow for them to eek into it. I am a season ticket holder that had no interest in watching another crappy late season Shanahan coached late season game let alone pay for a play-off game. That being said paying for club level tix and parking costs me $3K a seat only to have fans screaming to sit down, not to swear and stop drinking so much. Needless to say I'm giving up my tix this year, the political correct police can have them.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #25
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I have trouble believing that losing is going to bring back the fans
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote