The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Curry or Peppers?
Curry 27 79.41%
Peppers 4 11.76%
I don't understand assumptions 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Curry or Peppers?

Assuming the trade values are equal, and assuming that the Broncos do one of the two, would you rather they trade up to pick Curry, or trade for Peppers?

Please disregard the fact that curry is made with peppers.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Assuming the trade values are equal, and assuming that the Broncos do one of the two, would you rather they trade up to pick Curry, or trade for Peppers?

Please disregard the fact that curry is made with peppers.
first thing i though of when seen thread.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Personally, I'd rather have Curry. I think he will truly be a great player, and I don't want the Broncos to be saddled with what will probably be a record-breaking DE contract for someone who is trying to learn a new position.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Neither is worth the trade with all the cuts that have been made. especially with how much they would want for either trade. nope
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

Neither. Trade down and get more picks.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Hey, I ordered lasagna!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Bob
Ring of Famer
 
Bob's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,336
Default

What would we likely have to give up for either one?

If we woudl have to give up a 1 or a two, I would say no freaking way...

Are there other players that could have simular impacts, that would not require giving up picks? Just askin....
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

lets see a LB we can build our defense around for the next decade, basically would be Denver's Ray Lewis. a guy who could play inside and outside, lead our defense, and is a complete beast

or

a DE who is going to command the largest ever Defensive contract in NFL history, who i think is going to get paid and become a worthless waste of space, money and draft picks, and will be on the downside of his career as soon as this upcoming season.

i still look at his 2.5 sack output season before last as him beginning the downside of his career and then think of this year as nothing more than contract year, he wants his money output

i will take Curry over Peppers without another thought.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,648

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Curry
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
lets see a LB we can build our defense around for the next decade, basically would be Denver's Ray Lewis. a guy who could play inside and outside, lead our defense, and is a complete beast

or

a DE who is going to command the largest ever Defensive contract in NFL history, who i think is going to get paid and become a worthless waste of space, money and draft picks, and will be on the downside of his career as soon as this upcoming season.

i still look at his 2.5 sack output season before last as him beginning the downside of his career and then think of this year as nothing more than contract year, he wants his money output

i will take Curry over Peppers without another thought.
You still don't look at the sack totals prior to his one poor year in the NFL at all do you. You really think he is closer to the 2.5 sack guy or the 10 plus that he gets every other year. As I said in another thread Freeney had a bad two year run and he played much better this year. There is NOTHING to lead me to believe Peppers is on the downside of his career. Not one damn thing.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Neither will happen ... and I'll have mu shu chicken with a side of curry prawns.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Out of the two I would have to believe the Peppers trade would happen. Peppers gave 4 teams that he would like to go to and of those Denver was the only AFC team that was mentioned. I would think that the Panthers would rather trade him to the AFC over the Cowboys or any other NFC team that could comeback to bite them in the ass come playoff time.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
You still don't look at the sack totals prior to his one poor year in the NFL at all do you. You really think he is closer to the 2.5 sack guy or the 10 plus that he gets every other year. As I said in another thread Freeney had a bad two year run and he played much better this year. There is NOTHING to lead me to believe Peppers is on the downside of his career. Not one damn thing.
in the Freeney situation you brought up, he was either battling his own injury or many other important parts of the defense were injured making him the focal point and the player the opposition focused on.

Peppers just had a ****ty year for no reason.

i look at his production before the 2.5 sack season. i just don't put as much stock into it as you, in the sense that it was 3 years ago. i see a guy who started the decline in the career, and the following year had a contract year. i think now once he gets paid, he is going to be closer to the 2.5 sack a year player then he will be to the 14 he put up this year.

you don't put much stock into that season. so let me ask you what happened to him that year? Doom came off of a down year and he had 5 sacks. Peppers had a "down" year 2 years ago and only had 2.5. Doom is playing on a team where he is the only pass rusher, he doesn't have anyone else in the front 7 who commands any notice, he should only be a pass rush specialist but he is a starter and out of place a lot because of that, yet he still put up 5 sacks in a down year. Peppers had basically the same defense around him in 2007 as he did this past season. so why is it that he only managed 2.5 sacks 2 years ago but his amount this year in a contract year and in years before are so big in your eyes.

why is it ok for you to disregard the 2.5 sack season, but you repeatedly jump on my ass for not thinking he is the 10+ sacks a season guy anymore?

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-19-2009 at 09:53 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
FireFly
Ring of Famer
 
FireFly's Avatar
 
The window is open!

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,788
Default

I would take Curry, but I wouldn't want either given what it would take to get them
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
in the Freeney situation you brought up, he was either battling his own injury or many other important parts of the defense were injured making him the focal point and the player the opposition focused on.

Peppers just had a ****ty year for no reason.

i look at his production before the 2.5 sack season. i just don't put as much stock into it as you, in the sense that it was 3 years ago. i see a guy who started the decline in the career, and the following year had a contract year. i think now once he gets paid, he is going to be closer to the 2.5 sack a year player then he will be to the 14 he put up this year.

you don't put much stock into that season. so let me ask you what happened to him that year? Doom came off of a down year and he had 5 sacks. Peppers had a "down" year 2 years ago and only had 2.5. Doom is playing on a team where he is the only pass rusher, he doesn't have anyone else in the front 7 who commands any notice, he should only be a pass rush specialist but he is a starter and out of place a lot because of that, yet he still put up 5 sacks in a down year. Peppers had basically the same defense around him in 2007 as he did this past season. so why is it that he only managed 2.5 sacks 2 years ago but his amount this year in a contract year and in years before are so big in your eyes.

why is it ok for you to disregard the 2.5 sack season, but you repeatedly jump on my ass for not thinking he is the 10+ sacks a season guy anymore?
Because history shows that the 2.5 sack season is a fluke not the 14.5 season. Only 1 other year has he not reached double figure sacks that was his second year. His best year in the pros was infact this year I don't know many players that put up there "best years" as a pro on the decline just because its a contract year. What did he just will his body into giving him one great year at the age of 29 so he can land a huge contract and go back to being nothing? Like I said 12, 7, 11, 10.5, 13, 2.5 and 14.5 Only one of those numbers doesn't seem right.

Peppers was beat up two years ago go ahead a kid yourself if you don't think he was hurt.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Because history shows that the 2.5 sack season is a fluke not the 14.5 season. Only 1 other year has he not reached double figure sacks that was his second year. His best year in the pros was infact this year I don't know many players that put up there "best years" as a pro on the decline just because its a contract year. What did he just will his body into giving him one great year at the age of 29 so he can land a huge contract and go back to being nothing? Like I said 12, 7, 11, 10.5, 13, 2.5 and 14.5 Only one of those numbers doesn't seem right.

Peppers was beat up two years ago go ahead a kid yourself if you don't think he was hurt.
i don't care how beat up he was. an average of almost 11 sacks in his 1st 5 years and then 2.5 his 6th. that isn't a down year. a down year would be 5 sacks if you average 11 a year.

look at Doom, his hand was mangled half the season and in a down year he had 5 sacks. Peppers is in everyone's eyes the most talented DE in the league, and in a year with a few injuries and on a much better defense where he isn't the offenses only worry, he could only manage 2.5 sacks.

the point is he is 29. and yes there have been guys who have been very productive DE's into their mid 30's, but for every Strahan, there are a dozen guys like Simeon Rice, who were awesome in their 20's but nothing in their 30's. i don't see Peppers remaining a force in his 30's.

would you really be willing to trade away so much and pay him as much as he will want to play a new position and at his age? i wouldn't
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
lets see a LB we can build our defense around for the next decade, basically would be Denver's Ray Lewis. a guy who could play inside and outside, lead our defense, and is a complete beast

or

a DE who is going to command the largest ever Defensive contract in NFL history, who i think is going to get paid and become a worthless waste of space, money and draft picks, and will be on the downside of his career as soon as this upcoming season.

i still look at his 2.5 sack output season before last as him beginning the downside of his career and then think of this year as nothing more than contract year, he wants his money output

i will take Curry over Peppers without another thought.

So in other words, we can take a DE who may be on the downside of his career but has proven he can play vs a LB who has never played a down in Pro football who you think MIGHT be the next Ray Lewis. So essentially at this point it would be a wash as no one knows how Curry will be.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #18
skpac1001
Ring of Famer
 
skpac1001's Avatar
 
I brings the ruckus

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 1,091

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
So in other words, we can take a DE who may be on the downside of his career but has proven he can play vs a LB who has never played a down in Pro football who you think MIGHT be the next Ray Lewis. So essentially at this point it would be a wash as no one knows how Curry will be.
That was my thinking in selecting Peppers, but in all honesty I managed to misunderstand the assumptions. I thought it was everything (including salary cap cost) being equal who would you rather have.
Also, Curry seems like an extremely solid LB to me, one who will not bust, but I don't think of him as a Ray Lewis type. Maybe I just haven't watched him enough, but he seems more like a guy who does his job and does it well but does not take over games.

Last edited by skpac1001; 02-20-2009 at 09:48 AM..
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,260
Default

Both have risks Peppers with a large contract and the potential for complacency and Curry as a yet unknown NFL commodity. That being said if I was going out on a limb to grab one give me the younger Curry that has something to prove, as I do think we could build a Defense long term around him. His age and upside are higher than that of Peppers IMO.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #20
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,390

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

We have to go up about 11 more picks before Curry is even an option.

Peppers will cause us to loose our 1st and cost us some coin.

Pass on both
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i don't care how beat up he was. an average of almost 11 sacks in his 1st 5 years and then 2.5 his 6th. that isn't a down year. a down year would be 5 sacks if you average 11 a year.

look at Doom, his hand was mangled half the season and in a down year he had 5 sacks. Peppers is in everyone's eyes the most talented DE in the league, and in a year with a few injuries and on a much better defense where he isn't the offenses only worry, he could only manage 2.5 sacks.

the point is he is 29. and yes there have been guys who have been very productive DE's into their mid 30's, but for every Strahan, there are a dozen guys like Simeon Rice, who were awesome in their 20's but nothing in their 30's. i don't see Peppers remaining a force in his 30's.

would you really be willing to trade away so much and pay him as much as he will want to play a new position and at his age? i wouldn't

lol There are more DEs to play well past there thirtys besides just Strahan. Bruce Smith, Reggie White, and a guy who won the NFL DPY a couple years ago in Jason Taylor. John Abraham is thirty and he had his best year ever with 16.5 sacks

Year in and year out Peppers is considered one of the most impacting player at his postion.
I would trade away picks and pay for a proven playmaker. I mean you act like the draft is suck a lock lol man I mean there is WAY MORE risk in drafting a bust in the first round then you could even begin to believe.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
lol There are more DEs to play well past there thirtys besides just Strahan. Bruce Smith, Reggie White, and a guy who won the NFL DPY a couple years ago in Jason Taylor. John Abraham is thirty and he had his best year ever with 16.5 sacks

Year in and year out Peppers is considered one of the most impacting player at his postion.
I would trade away picks and pay for a proven playmaker. I mean you act like the draft is suck a lock lol man I mean there is WAY MORE risk in drafting a bust in the first round then you could even begin to believe.
yes, i know all the DE's who played well into their 30's. Neil Smith is another you can add to that list.

i am not saying the drat is a lock. i'm a Broncos fan so not by not including the last few drafts, i know all too well that college draft picks don't always hit.

my thing is, the price on Peppers is WAY TOO HIGH!

also, because he would be playing a new position that worries me. forget my argument about his 1 statistical anomaly of a season, because more than likely you are right that that season was just a fluke.

but even discounting that, i feel uncomfortable paying a guy upwards of 75million with as much as 45million guaranteed and the draft picks it would require to get him from Carolina, at the age of 29 to come in and play an entirely new position in a defensive allignment he has never played in before.

and your argument about a single draft bust pick in the 1st round is right, a bust can set a franchise back a few seasons, but the same thing is true for a trade if it doesn't work out. i just feel more comfortable, going after college players who have youth on their sides and who we don't have to give up anything to get them.

with smart drafting, we can get at least 2 playmakers and cornerstones to build around for the price of Peppers, who i don't think will be as much the force in a 3-4 as he would in a 4-3.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-20-2009 at 06:35 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
yes, i know all the DE's who played well into their 30's. Neil Smith is another you can add to that list.

i am not saying the drat is a lock. i'm a Broncos fan so not by not including the last few drafts, i know all too well that college draft picks don't always hit.

my thing is, the price on Peppers is [B][SIZE="5"]WAY TOO HIGH![SIZE="2"]

also, because he would be playing a new position that worries me. forget my argument about his 1 statistical anomaly of a season, because more than likely you are right that that season was just a fluke.

but even discounting that, i feel uncomfortable paying a guy upwards of 75million with as much as 45million guaranteed and the draft picks it would require to get him from Carolina, at the age of 29 to come in and play an entirely new position in a defensive allignment he has never played in before.

and your argument about a single draft bust pick in the 1st round is right, a bust can set a franchise back a few seasons, but the same thing is true for a trade if it doesn't work out. i just feel more comfortable, going after college players who have youth on their sides and who we don't have to give up anything to get them.

with smart drafting, we can get at least 2 playmakers and cornerstones to build around for the price of Peppers, who i don't think will be as much the force in a 3-4 as he would in a 4-3.
Yes he is going to learn a new position but I think it will only help him. He is an amazing talent that teams have to account for. Personally I think that OLBs in 3-4 Ds have a easier time rushing the passer and I think that would play into Peppers strengths.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Yes he is going to learn a new position but I think it will only help him. He is an amazing talent that teams have to account for. Personally I think that OLBs in 3-4 Ds have a easier time rushing the passer and I think that would play into Peppers strengths.
also, with him dropping back into coverage is a little bit of a concern. he does it a little in zone coverage now, but he will need to do it a lot more as an OLB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Denver Broncos