The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,332

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default Why Boss probably stays.

Deal helping Boss Bailey's job look safe
Posted: 02/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

INDIANAPOLIS It would make financial sense for the Broncos to keep Boss Bailey. Although pricey, the structure of Bailey's contract should help the outside linebacker avoid the Broncos' ongoing defensive purge.

The $2 million roster bonus Bailey is owed March 3 is guaranteed. Beyond that, he has an affordable $895,000 salary and a $100,000 workout bonus, so the Broncos essentially would have to eat $2 million to save roughly $1 million.

Bailey played well despite a high ankle sprain early last season, recording 43 tackles in the five-game period from Weeks 2-6. But he then suffered a season- ending knee injury early in a 41-7 loss to Josh McDaniels' New England Patriots in Week 7.

The Broncos were running a version of the 3-4 defense during a 16-13 victory over Tampa Bay in Week 5 when Bailey had 13 tackles, so he could fit in the Broncos' new 3- 4/4-3 hybrid defense.

Help wanted.

The Broncos enter the NFL scouting combine a tad outmanned after they lost college scouts Bobby Beers and Tyler Goodman and player personnel executives Jim and Jeff Goodman since late in the 2008 season.

General manager Brian Xanders indicated Monday he would hire a few scouts.

"We're just trying to get back to a normal-sized staff," he said.

Kicker watch.

Rest assured, Broncos kicker Matt Prater will not go into another training camp without competition. One possibility may be John Carney, who just capped his 20th NFL season by kicking three field goals to help the NFC win the Pro Bowl. Carney kicked in 2007 for Kansas City, whose special- teams coach, Mike Priefer, now holds the same position with the Broncos.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,712

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Deal helping Boss Bailey's job look safe
Posted: 02/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

INDIANAPOLIS It would make financial sense for the Broncos to keep Boss Bailey. Although pricey, the structure of Bailey's contract should help the outside linebacker avoid the Broncos' ongoing defensive purge.

The $2 million roster bonus Bailey is owed March 3 is guaranteed. Beyond that, he has an affordable $895,000 salary and a $100,000 workout bonus, so the Broncos essentially would have to eat $2 million to save roughly $1 million.

Bailey played well despite a high ankle sprain early last season, recording 43 tackles in the five-game period from Weeks 2-6. But he then suffered a season- ending knee injury early in a 41-7 loss to Josh McDaniels' New England Patriots in Week 7.

The Broncos were running a version of the 3-4 defense during a 16-13 victory over Tampa Bay in Week 5 when Bailey had 13 tackles, so he could fit in the Broncos' new 3- 4/4-3 hybrid defense.

Help wanted.

The Broncos enter the NFL scouting combine a tad outmanned after they lost college scouts Bobby Beers and Tyler Goodman and player personnel executives Jim and Jeff Goodman since late in the 2008 season.

General manager Brian Xanders indicated Monday he would hire a few scouts.

"We're just trying to get back to a normal-sized staff," he said.


Kicker watch.

Rest assured, Broncos kicker Matt Prater will not go into another training camp without competition. One possibility may be John Carney, who just capped his 20th NFL season by kicking three field goals to help the NFC win the Pro Bowl. Carney kicked in 2007 for Kansas City, whose special- teams coach, Mike Priefer, now holds the same position with the Broncos.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post
Would a couple O-maners please apply for these scouting jobs? It would be nice to get some insider info again...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

i think boss should stay, if he can stay healthy hes really good...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i think boss should stay, if he can stay healthy hes really good...
File this under the "I'm afraid that's too much to ask" category....looks like at least one more year of this:

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/d...46602_t220.jpg
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Dendave
Ring of Famer
 
Dendave's Avatar
 
Echo

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
if he can stay healthy
yeah right
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,120

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Carney is as solid as they come. Accurate with decent length and a good, clutch kicker. Prater's going down if Carney gets a fair tryout.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Carney is as solid as they come. Accurate with decent length and a good, clutch kicker. Prater's going down if Carney gets a fair tryout.
Then they'd have to go back to carrying a kickoff specialist on the roster every week......I just looked at the numbers and there was literally only one kicker in the entire league that got less distance on kickoffs than Carney did last season.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,057

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Would a couple O-maners please apply for these scouting jobs? It would be nice to get some insider info again...
I nominate SouthstandsJunkie -
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
crowebomber
Ring of Famer
 
crowebomber's Avatar
 
Old School Sucka Fool

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: P-Town
Posts: 1,602

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Would a couple O-maners please apply for these scouting jobs? It would be nice to get some insider info again...
I think montrose and wabbit would fit the bill.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,730

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

He might as well start out next season on IR.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

While I think Boss could fit on the team, this logic used doesn't necessarily apply. Look at Bly, we didn't save any cap money to get rid of him. McDaniels and Xanders are cleaning out the guys they don't want, if Boss is one of those guys he'll be gone although I wouldn't be shocked if they preferred to keep him around to compete at the SOLB spot.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,049

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
While I think Boss could fit on the team, this logic used doesn't necessarily apply. Look at Bly, we didn't save any cap money to get rid of him. McDaniels and Xanders are cleaning out the guys they don't want, if Boss is one of those guys he'll be gone although I wouldn't be shocked if they preferred to keep him around to compete at the SOLB spot.
In Boss we don't save any money. Bly while not saving cap we did not have to pay the actuall 3million. IN Boss the 2 million gets paid irregardless.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,214

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

There's a couple of guys on here (not me) that could truthfully do the job as well as any other scout out there. That would be cool to see an o-maner on the staff.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Boss reacts to the good news.

telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Klis must've read my post, and then printed it in the paper.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...65#post2293965

Can I sue him?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

The only reason Boss will stay is because Bowlen is afraid Boss will sue him for discriminating against the handicapped if they cut him.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i think boss should stay, if he can stay healthy hes really good...
My coach would have called the way Boss plays pansy ass football. The dude never takes on blockers, never blows up the lead blocker, doesn't shed blocks, and doesn't play physical.

I hate finesse linebackers like Boss Bailey who try to run around the blockers to make a play. Boss is another one of those head scratching moves from the Broncos. He played same soft style in Detroit. The only reason Broncos must have signed him was to make Champ happy.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
Tyrant
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Did Bobby Beers get fired? He's the only coach who recruited me in high school when he was coaching at Western Montana.

Then again, maybe he should have gotten fired, given his eye for talent since again, he was the only coach that recruited me in high school.

Good dude though.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,014
Default

Boss should be cut he is a high priced cheerleader only.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,712

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Can Boss play Special Teams?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Can Boss play Special Teams?
I don't think so ... but the angry "Boss is a pansy" posting is premature. We haven't seen him enough yet to make such a judgment. Was he hurt very fast and out for the season? Yes, but he played 15 and 16 games his last two years in Detroit.

I'm gonna cut him a litte slack for now. If he really is a pansy, we'll find out for sure this Summer.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
27atwater
THANK U!
 
27atwater's Avatar
 
sphincter says "what"?

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sharon, Pa
Posts: 1,594
Default

Since he doesn't hurt our pocketbooks, it's not a dumb mocve to keep him. He is Champ's brother afterall and given the wholesaleschanges, Boss may be more of an insurance policy against Champ requesting a trade. I hate Boss as a player. Never wanted him. But in this circumstance, he has his value here now.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Denver Broncos