The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default Woody's take on the 'D'

Broncos in huge overhaul
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

The Broncos' defensive reconstruction era has been preceded by the grisly destruction period.

Seven defensive coaches and six defensive players have been discharged brusquely. Another five defensive players will be released or become unrestricted free agents in coming days.

And this turnover, makeover and overhaul may stand as the biggest reclamation project in the half-century history of the Broncos. As few as 10 defensive players from this past season including eight who started at least one game could be on the opening-game roster in 2009.

Good.

Out with the rascals.

Dre Bly, Dewayne Robertson, Marquand Manuel, John Engelberger, Niko Koutouvides and Jamie Winborn are gone. Kenny Peterson and Ebenezer Ekuban likely will follow soon. Jordan Beck we hardly knew him is out. Nate Webster, Marlon McCree and Karl Paymah will be pushed into the free-agent market.

Twenty-three defensive players in last year's media guide have an X over their photos. Another eight or so replacements came and went.

And, of course, the executive vice president/coach, director of personnel, the assistant general manager and the defensive coordinator have been eradicated from the front of the book, too.

This sounds like something that could have happened in Constantinople in 1453.

Free-agent signings will begin Feb. 27. The NFL draft will be held April 25-26. The first regular-season game will be played Sept. 10.

The Broncos will need all the defensive help they can muster, because seven of their games are against playoff opponents.

And they will have to add to Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams and Elvis Dumervil, and the other Bailey, Boss, who will be brought back. The Broncos have those three (still questionable) defensive linemen from the 2007 draft Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas and Tim Crowder (although who knows if and where they will play) and the five young defensive players from 2008 Wesley Woodyard, Jack Williams, Spencer Larsen, Josh Barrett and Carlton Powell.

The cupboard needs provisions, Kid Mac and The X- Man.

The Broncos will have money for groceries. They recently dumped salaries clearing about $22 million. The NFL is expected to raise the salary cap to around $123 million and the Broncos will have in the region north of $38 million to spend, a majority for the defensive side.

Despite all the posturing, the Broncos will return to the Orange Crush past, a base 3-4 defense, because coach Josh McDaniels (New England), defensive coordinator Mike Nolan (San Francisco) and defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely (San Diego) came from, and prefer, 3-4 systems.

So the Broncos will consider shifting players on the present squad (Moss, Thomas, Dumervil), drafting players who fit into a 3-4 and signing free-agent linemen and linebackers who are familiar with the 3-4, as well as defensive backs who are tough and can cover and, please, tackle.

The Broncos' brass has a wish list already. I have one of my own:

With the 12th pick in the first round, the Broncos probably can select USC inside linebacker Rey Maualuga or Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji (334 pounds). Either one can play immediately.

I'd love for them to go after free-agent defensive ends Igor Olshansky of San Diego (who played for Nunnely) and Chris Canty of Dallas. Those are serious bookends. McDaniels will want to give consideration to the Patriots' Mike Wright.

At linebacker, and I've stated this previously, the Broncos should pursue the Dolphins' Channing Crowder, with a big upside, and Bart Scott from the Ravens. They could play inside, with Larsen and Boss Bailey spelling.

On the outside the Broncos already have Williams, Woodyard, Moss and maybe Dumervil. Marques Harris from the Chargers is worth a long thought.

And the secondary will be as critical as usual, without suspects. Only Champ Bailey is assured a spot, and he needs a guy, not a Bly, on the other side. How about Phillip Buchanon of the Bucs, if he doesn't get a franchise label, and a fellow named Domonique Foxworth, who became a starter in Atlanta after being jettisoned by the Broncos?

Or, of course, cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, the big- ticket item from the Raiders if they don't franchise tag him (at approximately $12 million).

The best free-agent safety the Broncos could bring in is Oshiomogho Atogwe from the Rams, and they probably will want to take a run at James Sanders of the Patriots.

Olshansky, Maualuga, Asomugha, Oshiomogho.

Great.

The Broncos quickly could climb from the pits to the peaks. But, then, I always wanted a pony and a Porsche.

Construction ahead.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Fan In Exile
Random Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That's awesome 1453 Constantinople fell to Mohammad the Conquer, maybe Knows something after all. Even if it isn't where Williams is going to play next year.
Fan In Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Wow. It's unbelievable what the FO is doing with the roster. This was inevitable. The defense was so bad in many ways. Destroy it, clean up the mess, then start building it right. I like the approach.

This will be one of the most interesting offseasons in Broncos history.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

It's a 'ground up' restoration. Takes time and some patience.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Sounds good lets make it happen.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

VERY cool article to read. Thank you.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rebuilding a defense will only work with quality defensive coaches, which the Broncos have not had in some time. Hopefully this has changed.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

That's awesome 1453 Constantinople fell to Mohammad the Conquer, maybe Knows something after all. Even if it isn't where Williams is going to play next year.

Constantinople fell because of three things - it only had 7,000 defenders against 200,000 attackers, it had gotten sacked by it's own side, two because they had no defense against cannons.

The firing of the Goodman's was the last straw for me. We are going into a draft badly undermanned in the front office, (only 7000 defenders), laid off the best talent the Broncos have for identifying talent - before the combine (getting sacked by their own side), and now have to find 20-30 new people to fill holes in our organization(canons). We are on the wrong side of this battle.

I am incredibly worried that my son, born 10 weeks ago, will grow up with a perpetually bad Broncos team. The steps they are taking now do not seem to be steps to create a winner. They seem to be steps to firesale salaries and cut management costs.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
The firing of the Goodman's was the last straw for me.........laid off the best talent the Broncos have for identifying talent.
The Goodmans have done NOTHING to indicate to me that they have any clue about how to evaluate defensive talent.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

With the 12th pick in the first round, the Broncos probably can select USC inside linebacker Rey Maualuga ....

WORD!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

So many things in that article to disagree with. Congrats, Woody on another steaming pile of crap.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
With the 12th pick in the first round, the Broncos probably can select USC inside linebacker Rey Maualuga ....

WORD!
Then why sign Bart Scott and suggest Larsen play in the middle too

You guys aren't going to like hearing it, but I still think there is a chance we go RB at #12. Just a gut feeling I have that we are going to address that need in the draft with a dynamic guy like Morneo or Wells. If Wells runs a 4.3 we'd be idiots not to take him at #12.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The Broncos will have money for groceries. They recently dumped salaries clearing about $22 million. The NFL is expected to raise the salary cap to around $123 million and the Broncos will have in the region north of $38 million to spend, a majority for the defensive side.

is this true?
ChampBailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
So many things in that article to disagree with. Congrats, Woody on another steaming pile of crap.
You disagreeing doesn't make the other opinion crap.

It just means you disagree.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post

Constantinople fell because of three things - it only had 7,000 defenders against 200,000 attackers, it had gotten sacked by it's own side, two because they had no defense against cannons.

The firing of the Goodman's was the last straw for me. We are going into a draft badly undermanned in the front office, (only 7000 defenders), laid off the best talent the Broncos have for identifying talent - before the combine (getting sacked by their own side), and now have to find 20-30 new people to fill holes in our organization(canons). We are on the wrong side of this battle.

I am incredibly worried that my son, born 10 weeks ago, will grow up with a perpetually bad Broncos team. The steps they are taking now do not seem to be steps to create a winner. They seem to be steps to firesale salaries and cut management costs.
Just curious, which of those outstanding, good value defensive players from lasts years stellar D would you keep?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
You disagreeing doesn't make the other opinion crap.

It just means you disagree.
Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case it's Woody "Crap Opinion" Paige. His name says it all.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
It would benefit the discussion greatly if you would state a bit more specifically what you disagree with.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Or, of course, cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, the big- ticket item from the Raiders if they don't franchise tag him (at approximately $12 million).

The best free-agent safety the Broncos could bring in is Oshiomogho Atogwe from the Rams.
Asomugha is close to a deal with the Raiders and Atogwe was franchised. Woody needs to catch up.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nnamdi is an idiot if he re-signs with Oakland before Feb 27.

He could have his pick of teams in FA, several contenders out there who could use a guy like him.

And he'll get paid like nobody's business as well, so why re-sign with Oakland? Knowing Al Davis, he'll probably give him an obscene contract offer and while I realise that it's a business these guys are in I just don't see how money can be the only thing that matters to these guys.

What can you really do with 70 millions dollars that you can't do with 65?

If I'm getting the following two choices...

- Earn 70 million over seven years and play for what is annually one of the worst teams in the league and has been for over 5 years now, something that shows no sign of changing, stumble to 4 and 6 win seasons year after year. Also, you have to live in one of the biggest ****holes in America.

- Earn 60 million over the same time frame and play for someone who will regularly challenge for titles and get you to a Superbowl. You might even get to live somewhere nice if you're lucky.

I dunno, it's a no-brainer for me.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Man...who would actually resign with the Raiders. It's not like it's the only job he can get.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Then why sign Bart Scott and suggest Larsen play in the middle too

You guys aren't going to like hearing it, but I still think there is a chance we go RB at #12. Just a gut feeling I have that we are going to address that need in the draft with a dynamic guy like Morneo or Wells. If Wells runs a 4.3 we'd be idiots not to take him at #12.
there's just no way I'd want the broncos to waste a 1st rounder on a guy that has questions about his toughness.

plus he went to ohio state......

this guy has bust written all over him.

draft defense, defense, defense, and more defense
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
Punisher
Styling And Profiling!

Running Wild in the AFC WOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Asomugha,Raji and Bart Scott

Please take a look at Ray Lewis too....
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Punisher
Styling And Profiling!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
there's just no way I'd want the broncos to waste a 1st rounder on a guy that has questions about his toughness.

plus he went to ohio state......

this guy has bust written all over him.

draft defense, defense, defense, and more defense
And more defense
Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

seems to me Woody only follows the AFC West....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Punisher
Styling And Profiling!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
seems to me Woody only follows the AFC West....
LMAO