The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default So does this mean We will be more of a Zone Team?

I keep scratching my head over this Dre Bly Deal. He was a good Man to man corner who was making 3 million this year. There is no way we pick up a Starter replacement for 3 million in actual cash. The only other explanations I can see is.

A. He was a bad locker room guy. Could be but I Doubt it.

B. We are going to be playing a lot more zone coverage which is not his strong suite meaning Jack MF Williams can give us comparable results

Is Nolan or NE known for zone coverages?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I keep scratching my head over this Dre Bly Deal. He was a good Man to man corner who was making 3 million this year. There is no way we pick up a Starter replacement for 3 million in actual cash. The only other explanations I can see is.

A. He was a bad locker room guy. Could be but I Doubt it.

B. We are going to be playing a lot more zone coverage which is not his strong suite meaning Jack MF Williams can give us comparable results

Is Nolan or NE known for zone coverages?
I think you might be asking the wrong questions.

It sounds like they asked several of the big contracts to rework for the good of the team. DJ responded, Bly probably said no when it looked like the Broncos were bluffing. The new organization sent a clear message - we are in total rebuilding mode, and you better be a "team player."

Bly was a dencent corner, he probably just said no to a pay cut. I don't think it has anything in particular to do with our scheme.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He wasn't worth the money of his contract, and while they would have saved room in the cap keeping him, the team apparently felt it made more sense to not pay him. Maybe it was an issue of principle, or maybe it was his dissatisfaction over losing his best friend in Bob Slowik - either way the Broncos have moved on. We'll probably see a mix of zone and man coverage, but we'll also see the end to the seven yard cushions.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

This Bly move really makes sense to me. Spending big money on the CB's doesn't make sense. It all starts up front. Dump you money up there. Even the best corner can't cover for more than 5-6 seconds, and even a mediocre corner can cover for 3-4, so pay for that pass rush and have some decent corners who can play some zone, plus Champ, who is actually a great zone corner with his ability to read the play.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

I don't know why several are up in arms about Dre. He clearly lost a step (or two or ten) and honestly was not that good anymore. His claim to fame was that he is a gambler which is fine when you have speed or the technique to recover. Dre lost a little of both. We can get a rookie to bite on double moves just as well as Dre did.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Broncos want to upgrade the RCB spot it's that simple. They felt they could do better either through draft or a FA.

Bly's tackling had went down hill and that concerned me a little. Also Bly's gambling wasn't paying off anymore because he has lost a step or 2.

I thought Bly played decent and was a decent player, but the defense stunk so bad I don't think anyone was above being let go.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote